Simplifying the Species List III

Click

It's been over a year since the last topic, and I've learned my lessons, but this is just an idea I don't want to give up. And since the polls (and S&T in general) have slowed down, I submit this new list for potential canonization. I'll ask for your opinions and corrections, post my rebuttals, and make any necessary modifications. But please read the FAQs before you go off on how Brutaka and Hydraxon shouldn't be Steltans...

To recap, BS01's Unnamed Species List has a ridiculous number of sapient species in the MU. Many of them were first mentioned in the bios of the Barraki, OoMN, and DH and simply waved off as their own unique species. But as we look closer, there are many characters with similar physical traits, powers, or histories. Many of the inconsistencies are easily explained by mutations or technology, or simply interspecies variations. Just as Matoran and Skakdi have elemental subspecies, many of these other species could be divided up in new ways. For example:

Canon

1. Makuta
     Prototypes
          Darkness

Eliminator

Shadow Stealer

This species was prototyped in Protodermis by the Great Beings to fill the role of peacekeepers and creators of the Rahi. Different powers were tested and refined until Mata Nui perfected their design and created them in Antidermis. These were given 42 Kraata powers, Shadow, Kaita Dissolution, and the ability to wear Kanohi.

2. Matoran

Subspecies

Toa

Turaga

The main inhabitants of the Matoran Universe, built to maintain Mata Nui's inner workings. Each Matoran possesses an elemental affiliation that is manifested as elemental control should they become a Toa or Turaga. They also have the ability to use Kanohi.

3. Skakdi

Inhabitants of Zakaz, initially peaceful and powerless until Makuta Spiriah's modifications, from which they gained elemental powers when used with another Skakdi, vision powers, and other abilities, as well as an unquenchable thirst for violence. This species is known for their claws, wide grins, and long spines.

4. Steltan
     Subspecies
          Upper Class
          Brutaka

Hydraxon

Sidorak
          Voporak
          The Steltan Upper Class are tall and vaguely Toa-like. Though they can wear Kanohi, they do not depend on their use as the Matoran do. Even among the upper class of the Steltan society, their members are divided into ranks. Platinum armor is reserved for rulers while gold is a typical middle-class color. Hydraxon was created as the template for this species and future generations were modeled on him after he joined the Hand of Artahka. This species is resistant to Pit Mutagen and grow far more powerful when exposed to Antidermis, a trait that becomes noticable only in large quantities.
          Servant
          Krekka
          The Servants of Stelt, otherwise known as "Bruisers," are large and powerful beings, but their lack of intelligence keeps them from dominating the upper class. They are commonly used as workers or body guards. They are unable to use Kanohi.
          Slave
          Gladiator

The Slaves of Stelt are even larger and more powerful than the Servants, and their speed and agility is unmatched by the others, but many are somehow forced into fighting for entertainment.

5. Vortixx

Roodaka
     Conjurer

Tracker

The inventive and intelligent inhabitants of Xia. They are typically tall and armored in black. Their society is dominated by the women with little opportunity for men. Conjurer stole their advanced technology and set out for a life of his own and became a ruler of a small group of Matoran. They are able to wear Kanohi.

Subspecies

Johmak

A subspecies of the Vortixx with the ability to shatter their bodies into crystal and reform at will.

6. Zyglak

An amphibious species with a hatred for Matoran. Their scaly skin is coated with an organic Protodermis destroying disease. They are immune to Pit Mutagen and virtually invulnerable to elemental attacks.

Barraki

7. Carapar

Axonn
Carapar's race was one of the first created in the Matoran Universe, as implied by Axonn's status as an ex-Hand of Artahka member. This species inhabited the Southern Isles and were dominated by warlords such as Axonn and Carapar, the latter of whom was called to be a Barraki. This species is generally large and powerful and have the ability to use Kanohi.

8. Ehlek
In appearance, this species closely resembles Ehlek's mutated form. They are unable to breathe air and are thus most members are confined to the oceans around Zakaz. Each member has been modified by the OoMN, giving them great strength and powerful claws to kill Makuta. They are also able to wear Kanohi.

Subspecies

Amphibax
          The amphibious brethren of Ehlek's race with great agility both on land and in the sea. Also possess enhanced vision. These species are known to work closely together, even to the point of Amphibax leading other members of Ehlek's species.

9. Kalmah
An ancient race inhabiting the bleak, icy land just south of Odina. The inhabitants are split into tribes led by warlords. Ancient's services once turned each tribe against one another in a great civil war that is rekindled every few thousand years. After the first war came to a close, the Shadowed One and Ancient left their island to capture the neighboring Odina after the first civil war. They will never mention their true origins, and they have been forgotten by their people, but the Dark Hunters always welcome newcomers from this island. This species is equipped with natural weapons such as claws, teeth, tusks, and often bladed tails in addition to powerful abilities unique to each tribe. Though they have the ability to wear Kanohi masks, their long, sheild-like faces with two protruding tusks make it difficult and uncomfortable, and thus few do.
     Tribes
          Fire/Heat
               Kalmah
               Tyrant
               Lurker
          Kalmah was selected to be a Barraki after his great successes as a leader of this tribe. He was eventually replaced by Tyrant, who left his position during the Toa/Dark Hunter War to become a Dark Hunter. At once point, Lurker killed a member of his tribe and was banished. This tribe inherits the ability to absorb and expel heat in great quantities, though Lurker prefers his natural tools, and Kalmah lost this ability when he was mutated. Their armor is typically a vibrant red.
          Earth/Stone
               Ancient
               Guardian
          After Ancient's departure, this tribe was betrayed by one of their own, and Guardian is the sole survivor. This tribe has the ability to make their armor as hard as stone and highly resistant to physical attacks. Their armor is typically blue with metallic coverings.
          Void
               The Shadowed One
          It is unknown if others remain after The Shadowed One left them. They possessed powerful eyebeams that were able to disintegrate a target. Their armor is typically black.

10. Mantax
     Trinuma

This tall species is known for the large horns protruding from the back of their heads, though these became tentacles when Mantax was mutated. They also are able to wear Kanohi.

11. Pridak
     Tobduk

The original inhabitants of Visorak. Pridak was taken to be a Barraki long before most of the rest of his civilization was destroyed by the Visorak. This species is generally tall and powerful and typically has the ability to feed on emotion to grow stronger. While Tobduk feasts on anger, Pridak's emotion may have been pride. They are able to wear Kanohi.

12. Takadox

A species with the abilities to hypnotize others and wear Kanohi.

Other

13. Botar
     Botar's Replacement
Another race hailing from the Southern Isles, known to be "savage," perhaps meaning more primitive or superstitious than the rest of the universe. This species towers over most others and has the ability to teleport and use Kanohi. 

14. Krahka

Triglax

A sentient species misclassified as a Rahi due to their shapeshifting habits, though they can also take the forms of other sentient beings. Some are able to copy inherent powers of the forms they take, or merge forms together. Very few remain after near devastation by the Visorak, many of whom remain in hiding or serving under more powerful beings who can protect them.

15. Mimic

A species from a distant land that was destroyed in a natural disaster. At least some members of this species possess photographic reflexes.

16. Nocturn
     Sentrakh 

Four-armed OoMN member

A four-armed and powerful species with the ability to regrow lost limbs. They are immune to Pit Mutagen. Their home island was destroyed by Nocturn with few survivors. Sentrakh was taken before or after and heavily modified by The Shadowed One.

17. Nynrans
     Dweller

Vanisher
     Vengeance
This is one of the few MU species to grow as they age, ranging from just below Toa height to towering titans. Their common traits include long, thin wings and horns atop their heads used to channel their psionic subpowers unique to each individual. They originally hailed from Nynrah and are still known to craft there, though members of their species proven to be too violent/not inventive enough were outcast.

18. Odins

Lariska

The original inhabitants of Odina. Lariska is the only known survivor after she betrayed the rest of her people to the Dark Hunters.

19. Primal
     Seeker

These two are the last survivors of a four-legged race whose island was ravaged by Visorak, and afterwards all but Primal were killed by The Shadowed One. Seeker was recruited as a servant of the Brotherhood of Makuta and escaped the destruction. They are known to be agile and strong.

To be reclassified as Rahi

Airwatcher
Airwatchers' backstory seems to imply he is one of the last of his kind. Perhaps the others were hunted to extinction or killed themselves off due to their own dim-wittedness. Airwatcher possesses wings and a chest launcher, the latter may have been the result of Dark Hunter modification.

Poison

A species nearly wiped out by Matoran as they were mistaken for unintelligent Rahi. Their poison, which is ejected from their mouths, paralyzes the victim and is lethal within half an hour, though they are not immune. They also possess stunning tails.

FAQs

1. Why are Brutaka and Hydraxon classified as Steltans?!

In the original topic, Akavakaku proposed a theory that Hydraxon, Axonn, and other members of the Hand were created about the same time as Toa Helryx and later used as templates for the rest of their species. Hydraxon likely never lived on Stelt. Brutaka's backstory mentions he was a "prominent figure" of his society before he was recruited by the Brotherhood and likely spent little time on Stelt as well.

Brutaka was also known to have gained a large amount of power after being submerged in Antidermis. Though several members of this classification were known to fight Makuta, they were likely exposed to only trace amounts of Antidermis and the effects were less noticeable. But perhaps in early years the Steltans used this ability to gain dominance over the much stronger Servant and Slave classes.

2. But why can't Hydraxon be put with Axonn and Carapar?!

My original list had this pairing, but so many people denied it, saying Hydraxon and Axonn have very few physical characteristics in common and felt like the only excuse was their similar names. So they're separated now.

3. But why can't Hydraxon be put with Trinuma and Mantax?!

I really, really don't want to get into this debate again. Simply put, Trinuma's species is confirmed to have large and prominent horns, and these are noticeably lacking on Hydraxon. I see no reason to make allowances to dismiss Hydraxon from this canon detail when he could easily be a Steltan.

4. But not all of "Kalmah's race" have tails!

Admittedly, this is pretty much the only obstacle with that huge leap that merged several species into an interesting race. Canonically, they all come from a land ruled by warlords and locked in a civil war. Physically, most of them have claws, tusks, digitigrade legs, and some manner of tail. However, Guardian is noticeably lacking this last trait. It could be he lost his tail in the wars or as a result of Dark Hunter modification. Maybe not all members of this species have tails. Whatever it is, these characters fit too well together in my mind to ignore for one tiny detail.

5. Why does Dweller's species have to live on Nynrah?

Because honestly he's the only one that fits. Many of these characters are described to be the last of their species or their island destroyed or in war... Dweller (and the others categorized under him) has very little backstory and what little there is seems close enough to the known inhabitants of Nynrah.

6. Wait, Greg said Krahka was a Rahi and Triglax wasn't! Why are they sapient species when Airwatcher and Poison are not? We still have intelligent Rahi like Keetongu!

"Rahi" is a very relative term in Matoran. It literally means "Not Us." There is no clear line between sapient species and Rahi with the exceptions like Airwatcher and Keetongu. This puzzled me and I asked this question in my What is a "Rahi?" topic. Basically the consensus was that it was entirely Matoran-defined. They see a creature and classify it based on its behavior. Krahka commonly shapeshifts into Rahi, while Triglax mimics other sapient beings, so it would be easy to see how a Matoran might mistake Krahka for a Rahi.

7. Where does Jerbraz fit into all of this?

Given how little we know about Jerbraz's appearance before he turned invisible, it isn't really reasonable for me to try to figure out which one of these species he fits into. I'll leave that to another topic.

Edited by Click
  • Upvote 3

As someone who didn't follow the controversy last time, this sounds like a reasonable and well thought-out list. I support it.

• Upvote 2

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Pretty solid taxonomy. Categorising numerous vaguely-defined biomechanical beings was never really so much of a pressing matter to me, but this is pretty much definitive. Nice work.

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

Is there any particular reason for the servant and slave classes of Steltian to be separate? As far as I can tell, the only difference is physical size, which can be easily hand-waved by saying slaves are just slightly bigger servants. Size variation within species does exist, after all, and the difference between servant and slave does not seem as drastic as between Upper Class and servant.

Basically, I'm suggesting that these two are merged into a single class.

-L- to the -K-

Sometimes, I look at my desk, and think, "What am I doing with my life?"

Then, I go back to my videogames.

I used to be known as 'Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!', before I realised what a silly name it was.

Other previous names include Lihkan435 and Chip Biscuit.

Is there any particular reason for the servant and slave classes of Steltian to be separate? As far as I can tell, the only difference is physical size, which can be easily hand-waved by saying slaves are just slightly bigger servants. Size variation within species does exist, after all, and the difference between servant and slave does not seem as drastic as between Upper Class and servant.

In the Dark Hunter guide, the language on Gladiator's page would imply he and Krekka are different races (it refers to "Krekka's species" and not "his species").

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Unfortunately, as said above, this detail came from canon, not me.

I'm glad everyone is happy with it so far. I made a few minor changes, simply changing Dweller and Lariska's species name to Nynrans and Odins, respectively, to reflect their homelands.

I couldn't really go through the list, as it would require me googling almost all the characters here. (maybe adding collapsible images could prove more user friendly?). But I am all for the notion of canonizing simplified species lists.

A great deal of thought and effort must have gone into this list. I commend you :)  

keetongorange-bionicle-logo-small.png

Honestly, I'm kinda sketchy on some of these. It's clear that a lot of hard work and effort went into this. It's really very inclusive, and some of it makes a lot of sense. But yeah, some I do like, because they don't require any major jumps in logic to make, while some of it however feels like it's done just to have done, or (not to be rude) to make someone's headcanon be canon (Not that I want this topic to devolve into one of those pro-canonization vs. de-canonization topics/arguments), but honestly, that's what at least some of this feels like. So, to summarize my feelings on some of these...

Things I like:

-Nocturn/Sentrahk/OoMN guy- I like it because it doesn't require any major rewrites of canon or bending over backwards to make it work

-Primal/Seeker- ditto

Things I don't like:

-Prototype Makuta- other than all having shadow related powers, there isn't enough to make me think that they should be grouped together. Think of it like this: Just because Roodaka has shadow powers, does that also make her a prototype Makuta?

-Kalmah- Again, there's not enough we know about him to make me think that he belongs there with TSO/Ancient's species. It makes me think that he's grouped there only because he has red armor

-Void- I feel like that you called TSO's group Void only for convenience's sake, but I feel like it's still worth mentioning ^_^

-Krahka/Triglax- I know you explained your reasoning for this, but it's been stated over and over again that Krahka is a rahi and Triglax isn't. To me, it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to say that there are multiple shape shifting species in the MU. And is the terminology arbitrary? Yes, definitely. But there's been too much said to just wave a hand like that and say that all that past history doesn't count for anything. I don't know, maybe call one a subspecies of the other or something, but don't call them the same species. I also feel similar about calling Airwatcher and Poison Rahi.

-Nynrahns- I'm fine with Dweller and Vanisher being the same species. Even arguably Vengeance. But saying they're from Nynrah seems to me to come out of nowhere, and is there just to be there

-Lariska- Similar to above, to say that she comes from Odina has no real precedence, and really just bugs me :shrugs:

Neutral:

Mantax/Trinuma- Horn/tentacle thingies. I could go either way with this

Pridak/Tobduk- I'd personally lean against this, but at the same time, I don't care one way or another

Axonn/Carapar- I'm just not a fan of the prototyping idea in the first place, but if other people like it that much, I guess I'll go along with it

Upper Steltians- I can begrudgingly accept Brutaka being a Steltian, but I just don't see Hydraxon being a part of it, prototype or not

Hopefully I don't come across as too rude/harsh in this, but if you're serious about wanting to canonize these, I think there needs to be a larger discussion about the pros and cons of some of these. But, again, these are just my opinions of all of this, so take all of it with a grain of salt.

(Also, in another topic on here, it was decided that Conjurer was part of TSO's species and subsequently canonized. Just a heads up  :alert:  ;))

Edited by unknown456
  • Upvote 2

Forever remember the Podu

R.I.P. Hahli, Lesovikk, and Ehlek. Died of Green Plastic Syndrome.

Pridaddy will always be with us

Well, there are several things I'd like to say.

First, if you are planning on making a poll to canonize these (and a poll is necessary before you bring this to Greg), please don't do it all at once. While I commend the work that went into this, I'm still not convinced by many of them and think they should be decided on a case-by-case basis. Some of them I really like (like making Tracker a male Vortixx), but many of these I'm just not feeling. Don't get me wrong--I'd love to see a smaller species list, but I feel like many of them are serious stretches.

Secondly, while I agree that Triglax should be in the Krakha species, they should still be classified as Rahi. The texts and Greg make it very clear that they are Rahi, and while they are capable of sapience, they don't naturally start out that way.

Thirdly, I think that Sentrakh would fit better under the Gladiator species. Not only could their histories very easily parallel, but they also look very much alike, what with their heads and their multiple arms. Besides, Stelt likes to dump their gladiators on the Dark Hunters XD.

Lastly--and I know this has no basis--I think it would be cool if Jerbraz were under Takadox's species. If nothing else, it would add far greater depth to his character if he had telepathic abilities but became invisible. Just saying.

Edited by The Hero Nuva Kaita Nui

To all BIONICLE fanfiction writers - send me your work, I'd genuinely love to read it - especially canon compliant pieces. I'm always looking for more such material to read and to circulate with my friends.

Hopefully I don't come across as too rude/harsh in this, but if you're serious about wanting to canonize these, I think there needs to be a larger discussion about the pros and cons of some of these. But, again, these are just my opinions of all of this, so take all of it with a grain of salt.

Oh no, I welcome it. Sorry about being so late to reply to this, but I honestly didn't expect any good feedback on the topic, so I'm really glad to have some. Allow me to explain some of my decisions further.

I couldn't really go through the list, as it would require me googling almost all the characters here. (maybe adding collapsible images could prove more user friendly?). But I am all for the notion of canonizing simplified species lists.

Thank you, I'll consider going through and adding links to BS01. Might take a while though...

First, if you are planning on making a poll to canonize these (and a poll is necessary before you bring this to Greg), please don't do it all at once. While I commend the work that went into this, I'm still not convinced by many of them and think they should be decided on a case-by-case basis. Some of them I really like (like making Tracker a male Vortixx), but many of these I'm just not feeling. Don't get me wrong--I'd love to see a smaller species list, but I feel like many of them are serious stretches.

Of course. :)

(Also, in another topic on here, it was decided that Conjurer was part of TSO's species and subsequently canonized. Just a heads up  :alert:  ;))

Sigh, you've got to be kidding me... that was one of my favorites too. Guess I'll have to figure out where he fits in...

-Prototype Makuta- other than all having shadow related powers, there isn't enough to make me think that they should be grouped together. Think of it like this: Just because Roodaka has shadow powers, does that also make her a prototype Makuta?

For one, Roodaka already has a canon species. Also, they possess other abilities and physical traits such as Shadow Stealer's shadow teleportation and Darkness' mask that liken them to Makuta. They also lack traits that could easily pair them with another species, so when Akavakaku proposed this theory, I thought it sounded reasonable.

I don't think it makes much sense that Kalmah is from near Odina. It is known that he was a warlord in the Northwest of the League of Six Kingdoms, when Odina is known to be in the left arm of the MU.

-Kalmah- Again, there's not enough we know about him to make me think that he belongs there with TSO/Ancient's species. It makes me think that he's grouped there only because he has red armor

-Void- I feel like that you called TSO's group Void only for convenience's sake, but I feel like it's still worth mentioning  ^_^

Admittedly, Kalmah's region being in on the other half of the MU is the greatest argument against Kalmah being a part of this species (also the fact that apparently they can't wear Kanohi... another detail recently canonized). However, BS01 never mentions that he originated from that region. Kalmah has also been heavily mutated, but there are residual features in him that promote this comparison like his long, shield-like face and the two "tusks" underneath his face, while he only shares his armor color with Tyrant (and Lurker). And to be honest, Kalmah was the last Barraki (besides Takadox) to receive other members of his species, and this seemed like the best fit.

-Krahka/Triglax- I know you explained your reasoning for this, but it's been stated over and over again that Krahka is a rahi and Triglax isn't. To me, it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to say that there are multiple shape shifting species in the MU. And is the terminology arbitrary? Yes, definitely. But there's been too much said to just wave a hand like that and say that all that past history doesn't count for anything. I don't know, maybe call one a subspecies of the other or something, but don't call them the same species. I also feel similar about calling Airwatcher and Poison Rahi.

Secondly, while I agree that Triglax should be in the Krakha species, they should still be classified as Rahi. The texts and Greg make it very clear that they are Rahi, and while they are capable of sapience, they don't naturally start out that way.

I just never understood this distinction. Why is it two very similar creatures are classified so differently? What exactly caused this distinction? I've always imagined that Krahka is a more feral member of her species after living among and shapeshifting into Rahi for many years. Triglax, on the other hand, has been living among the Dark Hunters and must act as civilized as possible. Maybe they are both Rahi I guess, but I don't see why, for the purpose of this list, we can't have them be the same species.

(And if Rahi is an entirely Matoran-defined term, why is it Poison is classified as sapient when his bio specifically states Matoran confused him for a Rahi? And Airwatcher is far from the brightest of DHs and could easily be a Rahi.)

-Nynrahns- I'm fine with Dweller and Vanisher being the same species. Even arguably Vengeance. But saying they're from Nynrah seems to me to come out of nowhere, and is there just to be there

-Lariska- Similar to above, to say that she comes from Odina has no real precedence, and really just bugs me :shrugs:

Native inhabitants of both of these islands are canon with very few details about either one. While working on this list, I found very few beings who could fit the description of them, however Dweller's species fit nicely. As for Lariska, this theory was proposed by Toa Onaku and it made sense. Lariska is one of the most trusted operatives of the DHs and, as far as we've seen, completely unique. I don't see why she couldn't have betrayed her people and island to TSO.

Pridak/Tobduk- I'd personally lean against this, but at the same time, I don't care one way or another

Upper Steltians- I can begrudgingly accept Brutaka being a Steltian, but I just don't see Hydraxon being a part of it, prototype or not

Pridak is one of the strongest comparisons for the Barraki species. His realm includes the land of Visorak, his stature is tall and thin, and he is driven by pride. It's a nice way to merge two species to one.

Care to explain why the comparison between Steltans and Hydraxon bugs you? 

Thirdly, I think that Sentrakh would fit better under the Gladiator species. Not only could their histories very easily parallel, but they also look very much alike, what with their heads and their multiple arms. Besides, Stelt likes to dump their gladiators on the Dark Hunters XD.

Honestly, I'm not seeing a lot of similarities. Yes, they have four arms and Sentrakh is heavily mutated, but their proportions differ greatly and Gladiator is much taller.

Lastly--and I know this has no basis--I think it would be cool if Jerbraz were under Takadox's species. If nothing else, it would add far greater depth to his character if he had telepathic abilities but became invisible. Just saying.

As I said, I didn't want to make this topic into something canonizing Jerbraz's species, but if you'd like to make a topic on you're own you're welcome to.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...