Turaga Forms

ToaFred

So we know that when a Matoran becomes a Toa their design becomes the same as how they imagine a Toa to look, for Takua he became like a Toa Nuva and the Toa Metru took after Lhikan and other pre-existing Toa from Metru Nui.

So where exactly do Turagas' forms come from? Although the Toa Metru transformed into similar looking Turaga, why did Lhikan and Dume have different Turaga forms even though they are all based off of the same Toa Metru build?

Could this be a case more of the set design not being entirely canon? as the movies show that the 6 Turaga on mata nui have the same build as the ones on Metru Nui, although this could have just been a way of cutting corners like how the Matoran keep the same design throughout the films.

Also could the variance in form have anything to do with the means of transformation into Turaga?

• Upvote 2

Consider that Dume in the set looked exactly like a slightly larger Metru Matoran, it's just a difference in design. Sets sometimes have non-canon discrepancies like that. In-story, as shown in the movies, all the Turaga are more or less identical, though some are taller than others. 

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

That little bugger will forever be cannon to me.

I'd say take the movie Dume as canon (like this)

It was just easier to give him a Meturan torso than a more traditional turaga build.

In-story, as shown in the movies, all the Turaga are more or less identical, though some are taller than others. 

Now that you mention it, yea the turaga in the film are pretty much identical. I personally don't include it in my head canon. I like the uniqueness of each turaga.

As far as I'm concerned, there is mostly no ultimate source of canon for BIONICLE. The films could have canon aspects (like fingers) and non-canon aspects (like maybe how when Takua finds the Avohkii he claims the Matoran text on the mask to be a language he never saw before).

Edited by Toa Doublebee
  • Upvote 1

keetongorange-bionicle-logo-small.png

I had always assumed the language on the back of the Avohkii was another language that used the matoran alphabet, like how English and French use most of the same letters. Then again I've never read what it says.

As you said, giving Turaga Dume a metruan build was probably easier, just as it was probably easier to use the same model for all of the Turaga in the movies rather than create new ones.

In my mind the sets are their canon design, mostly because I prefer them that way.

As far as I'm concerned, there is mostly no ultimate source of canon for BIONICLE. The films could have canon aspects (like fingers) and non-canon aspects (like maybe how when Takua finds the Avohkii he claims the Matoran text on the mask to be a language he never saw before).

I believe Greg Farshtey is considered by most to be The Voice of Canon when it comes to the hierarchy. That being said, in one of his responses to a fan who asked him if he'd make the Duracell "Gold Good Guy" set canon, he said "Sure". https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/m-p/11233939#M252886

With regards to why Turaga Dume and Lhikan are different, it could be that their views of what it means to be a turaga or how they saw turaga are different. One could also point to the Toa Metru and why they ended up looking very different then either Dume or Lhikan. Maybe they accepted that their roles as turaga would be different than their predecessors.

Turaga Dume: Ruling a nation as it's leader

Turaga Lhikan: Guiding the toa as sage. In addition I doubt he thought he would have any role as a ruler and it's likely that he thought he wouldn't live much longer.

Turaga Metru/2001-present: Both rulers and mentors of the matoran and toa. More like village chiefs since they ruled over their own territories.

Edited by Azon

Gleaming glistens The Red Star,
Bringing life to death afar,
Up away in deepest space,
You call me from your distant place.

Proud member of the Kanohi Force (Disavowed, but never dead)