bionicle knock offs

Demfem86

My local Korean supermarket has a store with K-pop, anime, and Hello Kitty merch.  Way back in 2007, they also carried Chinese knockoff building models like the infamous Invincibility Robots (Piraka) and Gundam kits.

I slightly regret not getting an Invincibility Robot, because I love low-quality knockoff toys.  I think the ones that got really infamous were Bohrok, but they continued well into the Piraka arc.

I remember back in Hungary there was a time when you could get knockoff Bionicles in those old small Lego Racers canisters, the ones with the half-tyre as a lid. The canisters would be colored, but not to match the model inside, and they would simply be called "Robot". All of them. Nothing like "Invincibility Robot" or "Star Soldier" or whatever the other more common bootlegs are. Just Robot. All of them. None of the models had proper names. Everyone was Robot. I only saw a run of the Metru-Toran, and a friend of mine got one out of curiosity (they literally cost as much as a chocolate bar). It was knock-off Orkham. The pieces were pretty jagged, weak, his mask wasn't blended and instead of proper Metru green, the green bit kind of resembled... goose excrement? Yup, that's "Robot" for you.

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

front.jpg

Wow.

I actually got a knockoff Kualus once, but sadly it didn't come with a Darth Vader mask... the jealousy is strong with this one...
Goes to show you just how dumb it is compared to the real thing. Meanwhile, there are people who have that Darth Vader mask! Maybe there was bad luck on your part or something?

mindeth the cobwebs

I remember back in Hungary there was a time when you could get knockoff Bionicles in those old small Lego Racers canisters, the ones with the half-tyre as a lid. The canisters would be colored, but not to match the model inside, and they would simply be called "Robot". All of them. Nothing like "Invincibility Robot" or "Star Soldier" or whatever the other more common bootlegs are. Just Robot. All of them. None of the models had proper names. Everyone was Robot. I only saw a run of the Metru-Toran, and a friend of mine got one out of curiosity (they literally cost as much as a chocolate bar). It was knock-off Orkham. The pieces were pretty jagged, weak, his mask wasn't blended and instead of proper Metru green, the green bit kind of resembled... goose excrement? Yup, that's "Robot" for you.

There were actually quite a few bootleg sets contained in the Lego Racer's canisters. Like this one.

My earliest encounter with bootleg BIONICLE was at a friend's house, where he had a knockoff Toa Whenua Metru.

The plastic was very cheap looking, as can be expected, and the inside of his Ruru was dark red.

This was many years ago.

My only encounter since then, were some super hero, Hero Factory and some Protector knockoffs sold around some super markets and corner shops.

I did consider buying some.

One upside in them is that I won't, under any circumstances be taking them apart for pieces. Insuring that the model stays as it was.

Maybe I should get a couple.

Edited by Toa Doublebee
  • Upvote 1

keetongorange-bionicle-logo-small.png

The amount of BIONICLE G2 Knockoffs that came out of Russia was just astonishing. And TBH the Box Art of some of them looked slightly better than the official stuff.

Also thiese particular knockoffs are from you know who.....

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1T_zUIpXXXXbVXXXXq6xXFXXXi/Decool-10701-10703-Star-Soldier-BINOICLE-Gali-master-of-Water-lewa-master-of-Juncle-Pohatu-Master.jpg

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

The amount of BIONICLE G2 Knockoffs that came out of Russia was just astonishing. And TBH the Box Art of some of them looked slightly better than the official stuff.

Also thiese particular knockoffs are from you know who.....

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1T_zUIpXXXXbVXXXXq6xXFXXXi/Decool-10701-10703-Star-Soldier-BINOICLE-Gali-master-of-Water-lewa-master-of-Juncle-Pohatu-Master.jpg

Wow... is that really a Mask of Creation photoshopped into a Skrall-shield symbol? Like, neatly?

Ayy.

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

My local Korean supermarket has a store with K-pop, anime, and Hello Kitty merch.  Way back in 2007, they also carried Chinese knockoff building models like the infamous Invincibility Robots (Piraka) and Gundam kits.

I slightly regret not getting an Invincibility Robot, because I love low-quality knockoff toys.  I think the ones that got really infamous were Bohrok, but they continued well into the Piraka arc.

A quick google search reveals that Invincibility Robot actually continued all the way up to and including the Stars, believe it or nay.

Star Soldier/Brick Soldier may or may not be made by the same company, but they existed in one form or another from knock-off 2005 sets through Hero Factory and even 2015 Bionicle.

-L- to the -K-

Sometimes, I look at my desk, and think, "What am I doing with my life?"

Then, I go back to my videogames.

I used to be known as 'Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!', before I realised what a silly name it was.

Other previous names include Lihkan435 and Chip Biscuit.

I distinctly remember a knock off line a old bricshelf user named jinzoningen73 once found(he is inactive now) 

The series is called "Sa Ya Li" which translates to Ultimate Warrior

The main 4 ones that were produced are)

Edited by necross hordika

qs3135.jpg

No bootleg sets near me besides a lot of knock-off Lego minifigures

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I'm in the same boat. In fact, the only time I ever see bootleg Lego being sold is at the local comic convention and it's usually minifigures. Though I have seen a few of the Star Wars build-able figures before, including a mini version of the Grievous set. :P 

Oh yeah, another staple of Chinatown gift shops, AKA the only places where I can find knockoff toys in America anymore.  They always have minifigs of Marvel and DC heroes that come with little stands.

Hey folks, just for question, the original post has been talking about low quality Bionicle imitations, but I'd like to ask, are there any Bionicle imitations out there that are built out of metal and are, as far as quality goes, superior to original Bionicle sets? I have become a huge fan of steel as far as constraction goes and would love to know if there is anything like this out there  :)

IhDIrLK.jpg

Hey folks, just for question, the original post has been talking about low quality Bionicle imitations, but I'd like to ask, are there any Bionicle imitations out there that are built out of metal and are, as far as quality goes, superior to original Bionicle sets? I have become a huge fan of steel as far as constraction goes and would love to know if there is anything like this out there  :)

I highly doubt any company that makes knockoffs would waste so much money on such materials when they can just use their usual shoddy plastic.

• Upvote 1

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

• 2 weeks later...

I wish that there was a website to purchase some of the G2 bootlegs but at last, I find none.

I know we can't share info on where to purchase bootlegs do to BZP rules.

I wished that if G2 want to a year three that the protects had recolours of these mask.

SRqCPMA.jpg

Edited by ToaTimeLord
  • Upvote 2

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

I wish that there was a website to purchase some of the G2 bootlegs but at last, I find none.

I wished that if G2 want to a year three that the protects had recolours of these mask.

SRqCPMA.jpg

Some of them look a lot like they could be great 2017 protector sets, even if the enemies were switched out for something else.

• Upvote 1

qs3135.jpg

Apparently, Nilkuu wasn't as widely known for his role as the Protector of Earth either. R.I.P. Korgot.

That mask recolor (silver and trans-blue) on Kivoda is interesting, as is the fact that whatever knock-off company making these at least put some effort into changing up their builds. Giving them all gearboxes instead of just keeping one aside for Ekimu was a nice touch as well. The choice for Vizuna to have Thornax Launchers and Zamor Spheres seems a little odd from a cohesion standpoint, though, considering that everyone else uses Stud Launchers.

Edited by Timageness
  • Upvote 1

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Apparently, Nilkuu wasn't as widely known for his role as the Protector of Earth either. R.I.P. Korgot.

That mask recolor (silver and trans-blue) on Kivoda is interesting, as is the fact that whatever knock-off company making these at least put some effort into changing up their builds. Giving them all gearboxes instead of just keeping one aside for Ekimu was a nice touch as well. The choice for Vizuna to have Thornax Launchers and Zamor Spheres seems a little odd from a cohesion standpoint, though,considering that everyone else uses Stud Launchers.

Yes that Protector of Water mask is a great recolor... Again sad to think Lego won't be using their own Bionicle molds again to give us something like that in an official set.

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

SRqCPMA.jpg

I may sound like a heretic, but it's bootlegs like these that I'm actually okay with. Awesome recolored pieces and distinct differences from the original model(s) can actually make a bootleg seem really awesome. It looks like these manufacturers wanted to rip off the Protectors, but put their own spin on them. It's a morally questionable business practice, sure, but it's so hard for me to get mad at the recolored pieces, the vibrant color schemes, and Kivoda's flail. When bootlegs actually put in some effort and make something that actually looks cool, I have a tough time laughing or cringing at the theft.

If I had one thing to complain about, though, it's that the makeover took something away from all the Protectors: their bodily diversity. What I mean is that the designers over at LEGO did use two basic builds for the Protectors, but did something different with each one to make them different from one another. Kivoda had skinny arms and wide hips, Izotor had bulky armor, Vizuna looked like a skinny guy in big armor, etc. With these bootlegs, the only diversity comes in armor ornaments and Izotor's legs. I get that I'm talking about bootlegs here, but with all the effort already put into them, the makeover feels a little incomplete to me.

• Upvote 1

mindeth the cobwebs

I may sound like a heretic, but it's bootlegs like these that I'm actually okay with. Awesome recolored pieces and distinct differences from the original model(s) can actually make a bootleg seem really awesome. It looks like these manufacturers wanted to rip off the Protectors, but put their own spin on them. It's a morally questionable business practice, sure, but it's so hard for me to get mad at the recolored pieces, the vibrant color schemes, and Kivoda's flail. When bootlegs actually put in some effort and make something that actually looks cool, I have a tough time laughing or cringing at the theft.

Same here.  I kinda want to get some just to see what the quality is because they look pretty cool with all their tweaks, if they weren't the crummy fragile plastic I'm familiar with I'd be fine putting them up with my normal Bionicles.

Actually, if I were LEGO, I would try to find who made these and hire them as set designers.  I hear that Sega hired some Sonic fans after they made their own game, maybe this would be the same kind of idea.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Same here.  I kinda want to get some just to see what the quality is because they look pretty cool with all their tweaks, if they weren't the crummy fragile plastic I'm familiar with I'd be fine putting them up with my normal Bionicles.

Actually, if I were LEGO, I would try to find who made these and hire them as set designers.  I hear that Sega hired some Sonic fans after they made their own game, maybe this would be the same kind of idea.

I've thought that way about bootlegs in the past myself. It's a shame that the plastic for these bootlegs is bound to suck because yeah, they do look cool, even when put up next to the real thing.

The bootleg designers did do a pretty good job in terms of appearance, so if I were a higher-up in LEGO, I'd consider the bootleggers, too. Also, I hear Valve hired people who modded their games (I could be wrong about that), so the idea isn't farfetched.

mindeth the cobwebs

The issue with comparing game modders vs. toy bootleggers is simple. When someone mods a game they often release it for free, and the mod creates interest in the original game in turn. Oftentimes purchasing the original game is needed to run a mod. Game developers oftentimes love this, it is free advertising.

Lego bootlegs on the other hand are blatantly trying to take money away from Lego. Bootleggers modify Lego designs and try to sell them as their own. They take profits away from Lego, as some people buy the bootlegs instead of the legitimate Lego product.

If Lego wants to hire anyone they won't hire bootleggers who stole from their company. Instead they will hire highly talented MOC builders, who bought their materials from Lego, and are generating free advertising for Lego.

• Upvote 5

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

The issue with comparing game modders vs. toy bootleggers is simple. When someone mods a game they often release it for free, and the mod creates interest in the original game in turn. Oftentimes purchasing the original game is needed to run a mod. Game developers oftentimes love this, it is free advertising.

Lego bootlegs on the other hand are blatantly trying to take money away from Lego. Bootleggers modify Lego designs and try to sell them as their own. They take profits away from Lego, as some people buy the bootlegs instead of the legitimate Lego product.

If Lego wants to hire anyone they won't hire bootleggers who stole from their company. Instead they will hire highly talented MOC builders, who bought their materials from Lego, and are generating free advertising for Lego.

Still, it's a lot more creative than taking a design from a couple of years ago and passing it off as your own.  These guys actually put their own twist on Lego's designs - that's why I thought of modders and fangames.  Are they stealing?  Maybe, but they're also making something new with it.

Dang, I want to find some Protectors now and recreate the designs.

I actually find those bootlegged Protectors to be a little bland. They're essentially clone sets with little variation in shells and different weapons. The torso construction also seems to be gappy around the neck area, maybe due to the fact that they had to cram a gear box onto each of their backs. The only reason I find them remotely interesting is for the recolored elements.

Are they stealing?  Maybe, but they're also making something new with it.

No, not maybe. It doesn't matter if they "make something new with it", its still illegal and none of you should really be praising these people for what they've done.

Sheesk, fine, you win.  Still doesn't stop me from liking the designs.  But I'll quit talking about it so no one gets banned.

SRqCPMA.jpg

I want these soooo bad, if only for the recolours.

Are they stealing?  Maybe, but they're also making something new with it.

No, not maybe. It doesn't matter if they "make something new with it", its still illegal and none of you should really be praising these people for what they've done.

With all due respect, by that logic, Bionicle G1 would've likely ended shortly after the Maori Controversy, Lego would've probably had to file for bankruptcy, and none of us would even be here (fifteen years later) having this discussion at all.

Just saying.

• Upvote 4

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

SRqCPMA.jpg

I want these soooo bad, if only for the recolours.

I know how you feel.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are they stealing? Maybe, but they're also making something new with it.

We should be praising them because Lego is a company for what they've done. I welcome "WARRIORS"

Edited by Makaru