LEGO to be a Hot Toy this Holiday

Hapori Tohu

In news that should surprise no one, LEGO sets have appeared on a couple of lists containing predictions for popular toys this holiday season. On The Toy Insider's Hot 20 list, the LEGO Star Wars Resistance X-wing Fighter is in the tweens category. Toy World has a report on Toys 'R' Us' must-have Christmas toys, which includes the LEGO Friends Party Shop and LEGO Ninjago Samurai X Cave Chaos sets. I'm surprised no Star Wars Rogue One sets were there, but I'm sure plenty of LEGO products will be flying off shelves in the coming months and appearing under trees at the end of the year.

View the full article

I believe both of these sets are Toys 'R' Us exclusive sets, so that's why TRU is pushing them and not the Rogue One sets (which will all be available from other retailers). I'm not sure how much of the Hot Toy list is actual predictions of what'll sell best at TRU and how much is just products TRU wants to promote, but I'm pretty sure it's a bit of both.

I believe both of these sets are Toys 'R' Us exclusive sets, so that's why TRU is pushing them and not the Rogue One sets (which will all be available from other retailers). I'm not sure how much of the Hot Toy list is actual predictions of what'll sell best at TRU and how much is just products TRU wants to promote, but I'm pretty sure it's a bit of both.

Used to do agency work for CPG campaigns similar to this. 99% targeted promotion--these are the products they want to sell well, though their reasoning may or may not be very deep. Also some guidance from the manufacturer, i.e. Lego indicating which are core products they'd like to push as part of their strategy for the year.

That said, I won't complain if Lego sells well. :)

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

Aren't, uh, LEGO sets always hot toys at the holidays...? (The rest of the year too, come to think of it.)

It's quite a turnaround from when I was a kid. The dark ages were the dark ages for a reason.

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.