Opinions on bows in G2?

Katanga

Personally, I have never been a fan of weapons that required more than one hand to hold. Such weapons severely limit the amount of poses a figure can be put in. Two handed weapons were in a few sets in G2, mainly in the form of bows. I felt these were really awkward to pose, especially on the Protector of Jungle due to the set's smaller size.

So, I was wondering what BZP's general opinion was regarding bows in this latest generation.

• Upvote 1

the use of bows and hammers is refreshing to me, given they were two of the weapons gen1 never used, certainly beats a myriad of dual-swordsmen!

I certainly agree that the variety in weaponry was nice. I especially liked the use of hammers. However, I'd like to point out that hammers were used by at least two characters in G1; Pahrahk-Va and Turaga Onewa. :P

But ch'yeah. I'd just like bows a little more if they didn't limit posing abilities.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I wanted to see another Kanohi scavenger hunt. That was my favorite part of Gen 1 Year 1. I like the idea of collectibles, and that probably translated into the Fallout series (bobbleheads) and then back out again when Bionicle Gen 2 was released.

• Upvote 1

Remembering the OACP. 

Back in my day, we created amazing wondrous fictions within the Bionicle Universe.

Bows could have been made a lot more poseable in G2. Like Bfahome said, some kind of variable-length axle (maybe it pushes through the centre of the bow, and acts like an arrow) would have helped matters.

But the weapon variety was much, much appreciated. G1 was extremely over-saturated with swords and spears, and many of the other weapons just functioned as swords of a slightly different shape, for example, the Toa Inika weapons. Axonn's axe, Gali's hooks... we could have done with more variety like that.

-L- to the -K-

Sometimes, I look at my desk, and think, "What am I doing with my life?"

Then, I go back to my videogames.

I used to be known as 'Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!', before I realised what a silly name it was.

Other previous names include Lihkan435 and Chip Biscuit.

I actually liked the bows and weapon variety in G2, especially in 2015. 2016's need to jam a crystal blade piece into almost every set made things more uniform, but even so the designers managed to make weapons varied and different. G1 had a very... boring fascination with uniform silver pairs of one handed blade weapons, that, like others said, were all just slightly different versions of swords. I mean, I like swords, but come on, variety?

Either way, bows were cool in G2. Umarak's is sweet, and while not technically a bow, Nilkuu's "sandstone blaster" is a neat weapon too.

All that said, isn't Vakama Metru's disk launcher basically the love child of a crossbow and jetpack?

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

the use of bows and hammers is refreshing to me, given they were two of the weapons gen1 never used, certainly beats a myriad of dual-swordsmen!

I certainly agree that the variety in weaponry was nice. I especially liked the use of hammers. However, I'd like to point out that hammers were used by at least two characters in G1; Pahrahk-Va and Turaga Onewa. :P

But ch'yeah. I'd just like bows a little more if they didn't limit posing abilities.

You forgot Akamai

Honestly I think that the Hammers and Bows in G2 were cool. It is certainly something G2 dien't do much. Though the bows were awkward to pose with, considering that they could be held in just one hand posing doesn't have to necessarily be awkward with them persay. They were a cool addition to G2, and given how weapons and tools were in G1 (especially later G1) it was very refreshing to see.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I'd have preferred it if they'd been constructed with a thornax launcher-esque projectile. Then, it'd feel more like an actual bow by firing a single projectile. and could be held in just one hand.

As far as 2-handed weapons go, we've seen some weapons G1 never gave us. I like that, and I'm sad we won't get more of it. Besides, using a similar construction to Gali's spear greatly increases how many poses you can have.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

You forgot Akamai

Technically Onewa briefly had a almost hammer type weapons called http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Claw_Clubs when he was a Hordika

Edited by necross hordika

qs3135.jpg

You forgot Akamai

Technically Onewa briefly had a almost hammer type weapons called http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Claw_Clubs when he was a Hordika

This is a tad off topic but the example usage phrase on that article is pure magic:

Onewa used his Claw Clubs to bash a Visorak in Web of Shadows.

This is gold. 

What more do you need to convince people that using more hammers in G1 would have been awesome?

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I liked them. I mean, just look at Umarak with his:

wzdzlhr.png

He looks great with it.

His weapon is alright too I guess.

That is brilliant. :)

Back on topic, I like the bows used by the Gen 2 characters of Bionicle, especially Umarak's awesome one. As others have said, they added a nice variety to the weapons used by the characters. 

And I actually didn't realize Gen 1 didn't have characters that used bows as weapons. That's kind of minding blowing IMO. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

The fact that these weapons were consisted of many parts make it doable and made it feel like an intricate tool. In G1, if the bow was large silver pieces, then it would not have worked out as well.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I did like the bows (especially given that both Umarak and Skull Warrior had melee weapon options as well), but I do think that Umarak's weapon choices felt like a bit of a retread of Skull Warrior's—it might have been more interesting if his bow had been based around a spring shooter like the blasters of the Star Wars figures released around the same time.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother