Would you buy Bionicle Funko Pop Vinyl figures?

Blastcage

Would you buy Bionicle Funko Pop Vinyl figures?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I ask this question for a few reasons...the first being that I recently have been in stores and online a lot searching for DC Funko figures to buy for a friend's birthday. The more obvious reason being that Funko figures have taken the world by storm, and are rapidly expanding to include new brands. These figures are highly collectible, and exclusives are being released at retailers such as GameStop or at conventions such as NYCC. Everything from Star Wars to Transformers to Harry Potter to Fast and Furious and even Frozen and BioShock and - shockingly enough - Call of Duty Zombies seem to have Funko figures now. So let's just say that LEGO decided to allow Funko to make Bionicle Pop Vinyl figures...sure, such a scenario may not be ultra-likely, but it's by no means impossible either. But if it were to happen...who would buy them? I'm sure many would, and I feel that it would be a good way to raise brand awareness and perhaps bring in an audience that previously did not exist. But those are just my thoughts...I'd like to hear yours now! 

no. those things are awful.

Could you elaborate a bit more? I'm a bit neutral on 'em...I just think they make great gift ideas, lol. 

generally not a fan of those really cutesy, super-deformed things that look practically nothing like the characters they're supposed to represent aside from a different paint job. it works for some things, I guess (I admittedly have picked up a couple of the Funko anime mystery minis - those work, since they were cartoony to begin with) but for the most part it just looks ugly to me.

• Upvote 3

LEGO wouldn't make Funko Pop figures, it makes no sense to them.

Why? BRICK HEADS(z?)!!! Brick Heads seems to be their response to that sort of popularity and them getting aboard the collectibles train, and I honestly think I love them even more too (granted I never bought funko pop things before but nonetheless) since you get to build them and they take that simplified style and make it work even better.

I'd love to see LEGO make Brick Heads for Bionicle. I dunno if they'd do it or if they'd sell but I'd collect all six. Only way it wouldn't work is that Bionicle designs are typically more elaborate, so it would be difficult for them to capture the spirit of the toa and shape their masks and get robotic details like the pistons in their bodies. I guess I'd mostly want to see them do it if they could pull it off.

• Upvote 2

I am not a fan of Funko Pop Vinyl figures because they are just plain figures that are big-headed and simplified versions of famous characters in history. I also don't buy these things.

If Lego decides to do this for Bionicle, Lego has to re-run Bionicle again and make it so popular that it can have these figures. I would like them to be build-able, too.

• Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

The reason I even entertained the notion that Bionicle characters would look good in Funko form is because the live action Transformers have been made. Funko figures are not always simple. Many have sculpted details, such as pistons, gears, armor, etc. Sure, some characters have not translated well in Funko form, but most of the ones I've seen do. Harley Quinn, for example...the jester version was already cute anyways, so it worked. Doesn't mean Bionicle characters would translate well, but it just came to mind due to all the ones I've been seeing lately that I was surprised got made. Interesting to see the feedback so far, it has made me think...keep it coming! 

No. Why, you ask? Well, I only have one reason: you can't build a vinyl figure or take it apart and make it your own. One of the key characteristics as to why Bionicle was a big part of Lego AND popular to kids who weren't even that into Lego was because of this feature. Bionicle surely wouldn't be Bionicle if the figures weren't buildable or customizable. 

• Upvote 2

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

I might. I don't think it's a good idea to begin with, as (like others have said) figurines that represent other figures that are buildable and more poseable seems to undermine the vinyl figure's purpose to me; but if they did release, I can't say I wouldn't buy at least one. If LEGO decided to do something with Funko Pop!, I think minifigures would be more fitting.

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Complete Okoto Alphabet + Okotoan Symbols | Infrared's Okoto Font | SDCC Semi-Live Coverage

—————————BZPGOT S1 KILLS—————————

Gi9juq3.png

I've seen those Funko figures, they look funny for a second and then you realize they are not great for everyone. You need dedication to like it but for me the proportions on the figures are terrible for chibi figures because of the gargantuan head compared to standard chibi.

They also tend to be rather overpriced in stores in my country.

VERDICT: Nope...not for me!

Edited by necross hordika

qs3135.jpg

These Pop figures are kind of ugly to me. It's funny to see some recognizable characters on the shelves, but the quality of the products doesn't look that great and there's just no point to them. They can't be posed, they don't look good, and they inspire absolutely no creativity. So no, I wouldn't buy them even if they were Bionicle.

Nah, I don't like them. Never cared for their style

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Someone brought up the point of Bionicle being an extinct toyline...fair point, but many Funko figures are of characters from extinct TV shows or movie series, so not too sure that point holds water. By that logic, I shouldn't be able to buy a Batman Beyond Funko seeing as that show is no longer running. 

Another person mentioned that unbuildable versions of buildable figures would be counterintuitive...honestly, same could be said for the Transformers Funko figures. People buy Transformers because they, well...transform. Yet, despite that, there's a market for non-transformable Transformers.  

Surprised to see a general dislike for the style given that chibi-fied versions of Bionicle characters have been prevalent in fanart since the franchise's inception.  

In theory, Bionicle Funko figures would exist to augment the constraction figures...and be a collectors' item that doesn't get opened. Doesn't mean they'd be a good idea or even draw an audience. Do I support my own idea? Not sure, but I have to play devil's advocate a bit here. Not trying to change opinions, just trying to give some good counterpoints and whatnot. Enjoying hearing everyone's thoughts on this! 

I don't mind the concept of Funko Pops and similar figurines. They're genuinely cute, and I understand the appeal of having figures from lots of different franchises with more or less the same scale and design language. However, on a personal level, I greatly prefer toys with more playability over vinyl figurines that just take up space on a shelf. Since I have not bought Funko Pop figures of other franchises I'm a fan of, the honest answer is that I probably wouldn't buy Bionicle ones.

Now, the BrickHeadz that Banana Gunz mentions have a lot more to them than the Funko Pops do, IMO. They lack posability, but they're cute and actually buildable. So I would probably enjoy Bionicle BrickHeadz. If LEGO doesn't make any official ones I might try building my own (I've already dabbled in it on LEGO Digital Designer).

I... don't know. Honestly I don't see it as a thing that would ever happen in the first place, and in a scenario where it did there's no telling what else would exist alongside them to compete for my dollars.

However, if given a choice between the two, I would personally prefer the slightly more likely scenario of Bionicle BrickHeadz.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Bionicle Brick Heads would be fun, but seeing the theme just got cancelled I doubt Lego has any plans to reintroduce it again so fast...

I am hoping to see Bionicle resurface in other Lego themes, kind of how Classic Space is referenced so often. Imagine a Lego City set were one of the minifigures has the Three Virtues as a T-shirt. That would be awesome.

• Upvote 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Only on the off chance that they could make an extremely cute and detailed looking chibi Kiina, or perhaps even Gali I might buy one...  I've seen that they make non-human shaped figures, so any sort of cute rahi would be a possibility as well, so long as you could clearly tell they were Bionicle figures, although that said I doubt that Lego would ever partner with them, as they make so much on their own figures, but yeah, I'd be open to it...

Edited by NightOwlKOJ

-NightOwlKOJ

I am currently documenting and recording the Metru Nui Online Game on Youtube and Dailymotion.

My Discord: Link

(My avatar is from the Legend of the Toa total conversion mod for Skyrim.)

Sure, why not? Would be nice to display in a car or something.

-NotS

That is, without a doubt, the most unorthodox place I've heard suggested to display a Funko...and that's why I like it. Of course, ultimately depends on the car type. It would clash in something tough looking like a Ford Mustang, but would be right at home in most minivans or 4-door sedans. 

Bionicle Brick Heads would be fun, but seeing the theme just got cancelled I doubt Lego has any plans to reintroduce it again so fast...

I am hoping to see Bionicle resurface in other Lego themes, kind of how Classic Space is referenced so often. Imagine a Lego City set were one of the minifigures has the Three Virtues as a T-shirt. That would be awesome.

Hence why I only said "slightly more likely". I don't think Lego is in any hurry to license their characters out to a maker of cheap vinyl figurines, especially with their own brick-built versions on the horizon. And while I don't see Lego rushing to make Bionicle ones right after the theme's cancellation, if the BrickHeadz are successful enough to last until a hypothetical G3, then I could see Bionicle ones being made. Still a pretty unlikely scenario, but perhaps less so than Funko POP figures.

I certainly wouldn't mind more Bionicle references in other themes, either. I don't know how likely it'd be to see those sorts of references in City, but if The Lego Movie sets can give us "Blacktron Fan" and "Fabu-fan" then surely a Bionicle Fan wouldn't be too out of the ordinary. ;)

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I certainly wouldn't mind more Bionicle references in other themes, either. I don't know how likely it'd be to see those sorts of references in City, but if The Lego Movie sets can give us "Blacktron Fan" and "Fabu-fan" then surely a Bionicle Fan wouldn't be too out of the ordinary. ;)

Yes I think my memories of photos of "Blacktron Fan" and "Fabu-fan" were what made me think we could somehow get Bionicle references in future sets in form of minifigure decor (or maybe other easter eggs in printed pieces or something?). Lego designers right now love referencing Classic Space, Blacktron, and Fabuland despite the fact all those themes are out of production and will probably never be brought back fully. I think it would be fair to guess that in a few years we might see some Bionicle references.

For example one Bionicle reference I could imagine someday seeing in the Winter Village line (which has given us Blacktron and Classic Space miniature models): six Lego "statue figures" (same used on Ant-Man or the Big Bang Theory set) in the colors of the six-Toa Mata and with round cylinder pieces in a shade of bley with a round 1 stud plate on top matching the colors of one of the Toa Mata. That is such an easy Bionicle reference to make, I probably should make a MOC of it and stuff it into the corner of some modular building  ;)

Edited by Xboxtravis

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder why this was even on the table? Bionicle itself isn't even popular anymore.

It's a hypothetical question. I don't think many people genuinely expect Funko to make these; the topic's just asking whether you'd buy them if they did.
I would but them, but after getting the sets I wanted.

I think the protector size Ekimu would look so cute as a Funko figure.

Edited by ToaTimeLord

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/