Triple M instructions

MetroidwaveX50

The official build of Mask Maker Makuta, or MMM, as I call him. I was able to build it thanks to input from toothdominoes, a Lego employee, over on TTV.

I'm posting these so others can build MMM, though be advised on two things:

1. The build isn't 100% legal, but it's still fairly stable

2. The hammer takes 41 trans-purple studs to construct.

​    FOURTY. ONE.

*sigh*

Anyways, here's the pictures. They're more of a guide than proper instructions, but this is the best I can do.

http://metroidwave.deviantart.com/gallery/52164300/Mask-Maker-Makuta

• Upvote 2

Did you go to the 2002 'The Power Lies Beneath' tour?

If yes, PM me. I'm looking for something that was only distributed during that tour.

The official build of Mask Maker Makuta, or MMM, as I call him. I was able to build it thanks to input from toothdominoes, a Lego employee, over on TTV.

​    FOURTY. ONE.

*sigh*

Anyways, here's the pictures. They're more of a guide than proper instructions, but this is the best I can do.

What do you mean by legal? Do yo ujust mean that it's not canon, or did you need to modify some pieces?

The official build of Mask Maker Makuta, or MMM, as I call him. I was able to build it thanks to input from toothdominoes, a Lego employee, over on TTV.

​ FOURTY. ONE.

*sigh*

What do you mean by legal? Do yo ujust mean that it's not canon, or did you need to modify some pieces?
By "illegal", he's referring to connections of LEGO parts that aren't intended by the LEGO Group; or anything that stresses/damages the actual LEGO parts themselves.

I personally don't see any illegal techniques, but I'm not that good at re-assembling builds just from pictures, and I'm also not entirely clear on what every illegal build is myself.

Edited by jed1ndy

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Complete Okoto Alphabet + Okotoan Symbols | Infrared's Okoto Font | SDCC Semi-Live Coverage

—————————BZPGOT S1 KILLS—————————

Gi9juq3.png

Oooooooooh... TTV... *angry grunt*

Regardless... It would still be cool to have full instructions for the build itself, canon or not.

• Upvote 1

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I personally don't see any illegal techniques, but I'm not that good at re-assembling builds just from pictures, and I'm also not entirely clear on what every illegal build is myself.

From what I can see, it looks like the shoulder balls on the CCBS torso might collide with the "shoulder" piece construction.  A ball joint pressed against an axle hole (with an axle in it too) can't sit flush, so the shoulder assembly wouldn't be able to "click" onto its connector.

• Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg

From what I can see, it looks like the shoulder balls on the CCBS torso might collide with the "shoulder" piece construction. A ball joint pressed against an axle hole (with an axle too) can't sit flush, so the shoulder assembly wouldn't be able to "click" onto its connector.
That's it exactly.

This drove me mad before toothdominoes chimed in, because I had assumed all of the build was legal. It doesn't damage the parts, it just doesn't click in all the way.

Still stable, though.

If yes, PM me. I'm looking for something that was only distributed during that tour.

Thanks for the photos!  They're pretty helpful.  If I may ask, would you be able to take a photo of the back of the model?  I'd like to see how the shoulder assembly connects to the torso, and I can't quite tell whether the final model has any back armor.

I wonder what the smallest subset of G2 sets is that would contain all the parts necessary to build Makuta?  I might try to figure that out sometime, if nobody has done so already.

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

Thanks for the photos!  They're pretty helpful.  If I may ask, would you be able to take a photo of the back of the model?  I'd like to see how the shoulder assembly connects to the torso, and I can't quite tell whether the final model has any back armor.

I wonder what the smallest subset of G2 sets is that would contain all the parts necessary to build Makuta?  I might try to figure that out sometime, if nobody has done so already.

How did you build his body exactly? Did you use the protector of fire's torso?

I've posted two new photos that should answer your questions.

There appears to be some sort of pin sticking in Makuta's body in the side view image. What sort of pin is it? 

2. How would you cover up said pin? I tried building him, and it sticks out a lot, plus the Mask of Control is locked in place by the two purple armor shells. 

3. Is the blue pin seen on the shoulder image one of these: http://brickset.com/parts/4514553

There appears to be some sort of pin sticking in Makuta's body in the side view image. What sort of pin is it? 

2. How would you cover up said pin? I tried building him, and it sticks out a lot, plus the Mask of Control is locked in place by the two purple armor shells. 

3. Is the blue pin seen on the shoulder image one of these: http://brickset.com/parts/4514553

1. http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=32054&idColor=11#T=C&C=11

2. It serves to hold one of the chest armor's pins, providing stability. I got nothing for the limited head articulation, sorry.

3. Yes

The additional photos were useful; thanks for putting them up, MetroidwaveX50.  I do have one more question, though.  Which piece did you use for Makuta's lower legs?  Was it one of these three?

90609.png

90608.png

90607.png

The middle piece seems to me like it would be the right length (going off of the photos), but it doesn't appear in any Bionicle sets in black.  This is working off of the assumption that the gold leg shells are number 5 shells; if those are actually number 4 shells, please let me know.  Thanks!

sqtd1i.png

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

The additional photos were useful; thanks for putting them up, MetroidwaveX50.  I do have one more question, though.  Which piece did you use for Makuta's lower legs?  Was it one of these three?

90609.png

90608.png

90607.png

The middle piece seems to me like it would be the right length (going off of the photos), but it doesn't appear in any Bionicle sets in black.  This is working off of the assumption that the gold leg shells are number 5 shells; if those are actually number 4 shells, please let me know.  Thanks!

They are number 5 shells, but the piece I used is actually the top piece, the standard forelimb bone.

Oh, okay.  That makes sense.  I thought that the size 5 shell would extend farther up than a size 4 shell, but after taking another look, the size 5 shell is just longer on the bottom.

I think I understand entirely how the model is built now.  I tried to put together a part inventory, in case that could be helpful to anyone.  I'm not sure that it's 100% accurate, since I haven't physically built the set, but I think it's pretty close.  It looks like the black elbow piece hasn't actually been released in any Bionicle sets, and the black wheels would have to come from Pewku or another Technic set, but I think the rest of the parts can be found in at least one of the Gen 2 Bionicle sets.  It would take a lot of Onuas to get 41 trans-purple studs, though. 

Display Here
10shpom.jpg
Edited by Volitak_Boxor
  • Upvote 1

sqtd1i.png

Oh, okay. That makes sense. I thought that the size 5 shell would extend farther up than a size 4 shell, but after taking another look, the size 5 shell is just longer on the bottom.

I think I understand entirely how the model is built now. I tried to put together a part inventory, in case that could be helpful to anyone. I'm not sure that it's 100% accurate, since I haven't physically built the set, but I think it's pretty close. It looks like the black elbow piece hasn't actually been released in any Bionicle sets, and the black wheels would have to come from Pewku or another Technic set, but I think the rest of the parts can be found in at least one of the Gen 2 Bionicle sets. It would take a lot of Onuas to get 41 trans-purple studs, though.

Display Here
10shpom.jpg
I believe one of the 2 axles is red, and you're right about the wheels as well. The ball joints are specifically the voodoo ball piece. As for the studs, that is why I pointed it out at the top of the thread. If you own every single set ever released, you have 18 of them. Give or take.

Other than that, it looks good.

Edited by MetroidwaveX50

Oh, okay. That makes sense. I thought that the size 5 shell would extend farther up than a size 4 shell, but after taking another look, the size 5 shell is just longer on the bottom.

I think I understand entirely how the model is built now. I tried to put together a part inventory, in case that could be helpful to anyone. I'm not sure that it's 100% accurate, since I haven't physically built the set, but I think it's pretty close. It looks like the black elbow piece hasn't actually been released in any Bionicle sets, and the black wheels would have to come from Pewku or another Technic set, but I think the rest of the parts can be found in at least one of the Gen 2 Bionicle sets. It would take a lot of Onuas to get 41 trans-purple studs, though.

Display Here
10shpom.jpg
I believe one of the 2 axles is red, and you're right about the wheels as well. The ball joints are specifically the voodoo ball piece. As for the studs, that is why I pointed it out at the top of the thread. If you own every single set ever released, you have 18 of them. Give or take.

By voodoo ball, do you mean the old-style ball joints used 2001-2005, where the axle hole doesn't go all the way through?  And I wasn't sure of the color of the axle holding the eyes in the head; thanks for the clarification.

sqtd1i.png

Display Here
10shpom.jpg

By voodoo ball, do you mean the old-style ball joints used 2001-2005, where the axle hole doesn't go all the way through?  And I wasn't sure of the color of the axle holding the eyes in the head; thanks for the clarification.

Yes. That name specifically refers to those. The aforementioned  toothdominoes referred to Makuta as using Voodoo Balls.

Well, I'd rather use parts from Umarak the Hunter for the Mask of Control, Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder for most of Ekimu's parts, some silver wide blade/leg from Lewa Master or Uxar, purple studs from Onua Uniter and Protector of Earth, and perhaps other little pieces from some other Bionicle G2 sets. Funny that it sounds like that the Mask Maker Makuta model is a combined of these sets.:)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

• 1 month later...

I have 3 questions regarding the parts and the build.

1. Is the black pin seen on the image labeled "MMM Side view" This part in black? http://brickset.com/parts/design-32054

2. And if so, what purpose does it serve, as it is never seen on your other photos?

3. What size is the gray axle used in Makuta's hammer? 

1. Yes

2. It provides a pin hole for the upper pin on the chest armor. It's in another photo, it just blends in with the torso.

3. What gray axle?

1. Yes

2. It provides a pin hole for the upper pin on the chest armor. It's in another photo, it just blends in with the torso.

3. What gray axle?

3. In the "Makuta Hammer" photo, there appears to be a gray axle underneath the silver claw piece of his hammer. 

4. What size bone pieces are Makuta's legs? Is it this one: http://brickset.com/parts/4593553, or this one? http://brickset.com/parts/4593555 The former is the long leg pieces used on Tahu Master of Fire, and the latter are used as Scarox (from Hero Factory)'s arms.

1. Yes

3. What gray axle?

3. In the "Makuta Hammer" photo, there appears to be a gray axle underneath the silver claw piece of his hammer. 

4. What size bone pieces are Makuta's legs? Is it this one: http://brickset.com/parts/4593553, or this one? http://brickset.com/parts/4593555 The former is the long leg pieces used on Tahu Master of Fire, and the latter are used as Scarox (from Hero Factory)'s arms.

3. I'm assuming you mean this:http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6587&idColor=85#T=C&C=85

It is dark tan colored, not gray.

4. The second link isn't working. It's the third smallest bone size in total.

• 2 weeks later...

3. I'm assuming you mean this:http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6587&idColor=85#T=C&C=85

It is dark tan colored, not gray.

4. The second link isn't working. It's the third smallest bone size in total.

Okay. 

As for number 4, I'm assuming its this one: 4593555.jpg

Or, is it this one: 4593553.jpg

Yeah, the first one's right.