An Interview With Stuart Sayger, Part 1

Hapori Tohu

Ignition 1

Stuart Sayger, the artist behind Bionicle's Ignition comic series in 2006 and 2007, was at Baltimore Comic Con earlier this month. BZPower staff and retired staff ChocolateFrogs and 55555, respectively, met up with Sayger to chat about the Bionicle comic, his work and style, and his experiences in the comic industry. He was such a fun guest to hang out with, so the conversation held so many amazing stories from Sayger's life. As such, the hour-long the interview is presented in two parts. Look for part two coming soon!

View the full article

• Upvote 2

I tell people all the time, "If you look at the cover of issue number one, the key thing is that the character's spine is bending, but the toy will not do that."

It took me a second of "what are you talking about, the Piraka spines were rubber" to realize he was referring to the actual torso, not the head/spine piece.

OpAXNpl.jpg

It's cool to see an interview with Sayger after all this time, he's always been my favorite of the Bionicle illustrators. Always thought he was super underrated. Brought a really unique, really his-own style to Bionicle comics, and a unique take is really wonderful to see in comics about robots, who most artists will try to keep as on-model as possible at all times (it's what I love about Sarah Stone's and Alex Milne's Transformers books, is how unique and expressive their styles are...)

And really, that origin story of sorts at the beginning of the interview was great to read. I always figured he was a relatively unknown artist before Bionicle, but I didn't know it was, like, his first comics job outside self-published stuff.

Looking at his site now it looks like he's gone on to do some other smaller-scale comic books, it's good to see.

Of course thanks @ Stuart, ChocolateFrogs, and 55555 for this, I'm genuinely happy to read stuff like this.

Edited by Arcee

I remember meeting Sayger at the last Herocon in NC. Really friendly guy and I absolutely love his work. I actually got my issue of Ignition #0 signed by him. He also gave a little information about what working on Bionicle was like. It was really cool and I'm super glad to have gotten the chance to meet him.

• Upvote 1