Favorite Things No Longer on BZPower

Master Inika

As a member of this site since 2007, there's a few things, mostly fanfictions but also some site features, I remember being around that, due to the Great Dataclysm of 2009, website changes, or some other reason, are no longer available. I realized today I'd definitely post in a topic asking me what they are, so I made one for anyone else who wants to sit here unproductively nostalgia-bingeing with me. Here are some of mine:

*A comedy called "Macku and Makuta Get Married." It was about Makuta accidentally agreeing to marry Macku (I forget why she wanted to marry him). The last chapter ended with an unknown figure (guest star for then next episode) busting into the wedding and objecting, and it was never updated after that, and at some point I realized it was gone. I think the last post was the guest star posting that it was a good episode, but he'd never really interrupt a wedding ceremony.

*Another comedy, though it was actually kind of serious. It basically disregarded the 2007 storyline, featuring the Toa Nuva and Toa Inika defending Metru Nui together, but it focused on the relationship (possibly romance?) between Onepu and Macku.

*An epic or short story about a homicidal Po-Matoran on Metru Nui named Saror (red eyes, wore a Huna) whose modus operandi was carving a giant statue of someone, then luring them somewhere and pushing it on top of them from a high point. It wasn't as hilarious as it sounds.

*Some little page BZPower used to have as reference for parents of site members. It was laughably outdated by the time I joined (it used Lewa Mata as a reference set), but I liked the gesture the site was making to parents to explain the community to them a little.

*Lastly, the set database. It was somewhat inconsistently maintained, with sets from 2003 having notices that they "might be discontinued" for years after they actually were, but I found it helpful, especially since I didn't know about other online set databases. It hindsight, though, ours wasn't as good and kind of redundant.

Anything you guys miss seeing? Anyone remember the ones I listed?

• Upvote 2

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Dark709's comics.

Those were what brought me to BZP. I happened upon them, and thus the site, around 2004 and lurked for a while before actually joining. 

Man, those things fascinated me back in the day. I even remember a set of actually pretty long and elaborate animated versions called "Dark709's Comics: The Movie" which even had a soundtrack (granted, it used tracks from Pokémon and Super Mario, but it fit). 

They were amazing. Fond memories. To bad they're lost forever.

:kakama:

• Upvote 4

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

An active comics forum. I showed up with my own comics right before the forum overhaul, so the comics forum itself was just leaving its prime. Before then, I had lurked the comics forum and frequented Dark709's Comics, Maphrox's Comics (the one where he used Blender and his style became a hit), BladeTitan974's Comics, and VakamaTK's Comics. I loved those comics and they, like many other comics, were receiving updates.

I sometimes kick back in my chair and try and think about the comics forum in its prime. New authors having some cool jokes to tell, people making friends and starting a series with them, people innovating the comic-making method and other people joining in, and tons of new individual comics every day. I never got to experience that to its full extent, and man, I wish I did. Nowadays, there's a small amount of authors and slow updates. Sure, I understand the reason behind the slow updates and nobody seems to care that much about it anyway, but I guess I'm dreaming of a time when everyone was still a young teen, there were small amounts of homework for everyone, and nobody was using GIMP. I guess I just wish we had more young and willing comic makers ready to show off their talents, tell a great story, and/or abuse stereotypes.

So yeah, I miss the old comics forum. The amount of activity that used to go on in there was incredible, but everybody grew up and moved on at similar times.

mindeth the cobwebs

My Proto.

(live and let learn though. I hope I can make those back.)

Edited by Toa Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

just a lot of epics and short stories that were really well-written and original. i don't remember the names of half of them, but I do remember a few details from one that was about a guy who was basically a cop hunting down a dark hunter or something and had a vortixx lady as his love interest. there was a motorcycle chase in it too i think. a couple comic series as well.

galijump.gif.f3271eeb2e5fad0ab8397c83797b5bba.gif
[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

- Timestamps.  The board index and subforums used to show when a topic was last posted in, not just what day.  And there's now zero indication of what time blog entries are posted, unless you have entry-editing privileges.

- The blog page used to show both latest entry and latest comment.  Now it's just "hey there's something new here, not gonna tell you what or where!"

I guess IPB though clarity was a little too old-fashioned.

• Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg

I hope I'm not the only one who still remembers what "BURN STUFF!" and "Cuppa Joe" mean.

I miss those.

Also, Avatar/Sig shops were fun little things.  Even when I wasn't requesting stuff, it was still cool scrolling through them to see what kinds of things people came up with.

• Upvote 1

Y'know I should add more to my list fo things I miss.

My extra Prot, -Windrider-, Irrie (I haven't seen him much), Madu, that other guy on the ARA team, a thriving community, Vrahno, -Windrider-... Again, me being more active, -Windrider-, my old Username sometimes, Iaredios being more active here.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

• 2 weeks later...

As much as twelve-year-old me would despise me for saying this ... I miss the board messages.

And the bubble paper?

Or the funny messages? Joke's on Bink though, it just made us refresh more.

Bubble wrap? You mean this?

I am genuinely surprised that that is still there.

Took me a while to find it. A few years ago, I remembered it and wanted to see if it still existed. There was a link to it on the front page for a while, but it looks like it was removed the last time they cleaned it up. That said, I've had it saved as a bookmark so I'd never lose it.

So, for those that thought you were going to miss it, you're welcome. :P

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

So everyone says the 'Golden Years of BZPower' were way back when before the dataclysm, but for me it was personally the year 2013. There were so many things from that year that I miss. The first would have to be a thriving community (or as much as I've ever personally experienced). There were then a hundred or more people online at any given time, and there were always new topics to read and post in. Now there's probably just over 20 people online at best. There was also a pretty active staff base as well. And because of that, there were often new contests to dream of participating in but never getting around to it. And of course there was Staff Survivor (most of the posts in that topic have a little orange 'Retired Staff' under their avatar).

E- Oh, and Dark709's comics. I remember reading them back in aught 8. They probably taught me more about BZP than anything else on the forums did

Good times..

Edited by Underscore

2xu8Ptu.png

The comics forums. 

I used to browse here way back in '09, but it was only a couple of years ago that I got around to making an account. I've got fond memories of lazy summer afternoons browsing through Nuparurocks', Gavla's, and Philipnova's comics. 

Good times. 

bZpOwEr

As much as twelve-year-old me would despise me for saying this ... I miss the board messages.

And the bubble paper?

Or the funny messages? Joke's on Bink though, it just made us refresh more.

Bubble wrap? You mean this?

I am genuinely surprised that that is still there.

Took me a while to find it. A few years ago, I remembered it and wanted to see if it still existed. There was a link to it on the front page for a while, but it looks like it was removed the last time they cleaned it up. That said, I've had it saved as a bookmark so I'd never lose it.

So, for those that thought you were going to miss it, you're welcome. :P

Oh, wow, the memories. That's a rare treasure you've uncovered there, it's like internet archaeology.

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

The comics forums. 

I used to browse here way back in '09, but it was only a couple of years ago that I got around to making an account. I've got fond memories of lazy summer afternoons browsing through Nuparurocks', Gavla's, and Philipnova's comics. 

Good times. 

Yeah, the comics forum has seen a drastic decrease in activity over the years. Saying that, I'm not exactly helping the lack of content there by not making any comics myself right now... I do have ideas, I'm just unbelievably lazy. :v

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png