What could have been?: 2017

Based on what we saw of G2's run, what sort of Story and Sets do you think would have been in the "last" year of BIONICLE G2?

Would the Uniters have carried over? Or would the Toa get another upgrade?

Would it have been a 1/2 year, or a full year with 2 waves?

Other than the Makuta, would there have been other Titans?

Would Makuta have lived, bit the dust, or turned good (like Garmadon)?

Considering the facts presenting in G2, the last year would have probably ran something like:

-The shadow version of the Capital City brought into existence, full of dark protectors and inhabitants (as seen in the show), Makuta reigning over

-Leads an army of darkness over the island, supplemented with beasts

-Allusion to Toa of Light? Takanuva? Who knows

-Toa upgraded with Light or something, some cheesy title like "Destined"

-Full year of sets, with Makuta as a Titan

-Mask of Ultimate power in a set

-FINALLY tie up what they wanted to do with the Vahi. Possible time travel for the final arc. Go back in time to stop Makuta? Or back in an earlier point in time before Makuta's portal is opened? 

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

The Toa would get a new upgrade without a doubt. We'd ideally see Takanuva (yes, I'm still mad about "SO YOU ARE THE TOA OF LIGHT"), though Lego may have trolled us and brought in Voriki. Some kind of Rahkshi analogue could have appeared, and Makuta would be a titan set, complete with the MoUP; it's entirely possible that he'd get a redemption arc, which I'd be down for. The Vahi could have become relevant. Beyond this, there's no telling what the year would have held. Someone should write a fanfic set in the far-flung future of G2 where the Toa return just to see this stuff come to light. Not me, I can't find the patience to write.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

My set speculation list.

-Official Makuta set with the Mask of Ultimate Power.

-Upgraded Toa forms with the 2015 gearbox, and the 2016 waist gear.

-Six small companion sets analogous to the creatures or protectors. Possibly could have been new villagers. Maybe they could have been small villains?

-New collectible masks with each Toa (maybe instead of gold the masks would be silver or fully transparent?)

-New Ekimu shoehorned into something

-3-4 Medium sized villain sets (A G2 style Rakshi would have been nice)

- Official Titan version of Makuta with a variant of the Mask of Ultimate Power and the Vahi.

It is a pity that Bionicle ended so soon and wasn't much of a success. Had the theme continued longer (into 2018 or beyond) here are the things I would have like to see return in future years:

-New Toa Team (perhaps the members of the Toa Inika/Mahri?)

-More Villains, Creatures and Villagers

-Takanuva as the Toa of Light

-Large vehicle sets which serve as a way to introduce children to building with Technic.

-The return of System based location based play sets, including at least one large D2C sets based on a specific location in the saga, building experience on par with the modular buildings.

-The reintroduction of Mata-Nui and the Mask of Life.

-Metru Okoto? A time jump into the future were Okoto has rebuild itself and become a sci-fi metropolis. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Yeah, I have to agree with the general concensus here. The Toa would have been upgraded, and there probably would have been a full year of sets, based on how successful Lego likes to claim G2 was, but beyond that it's hard to say.

Someone should write a fanfic set in the far-flung future of G2 where the Toa return just to see this stuff come to light. Not me, I can't find the patience to write.

I'm already working on giving the storyline a proper ending (though I've concocted a way to get around the Toa's departure without resorting to the whole "distant future" plot device)--which is another reason I'm keeping mum on my 2017 ideas for now. It's slow going, but my goal is to be done within a year, preferably by next summer.

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

Someone should write a fanfic set in the far-flung future of G2 where the Toa return just to see this stuff come to light. Not me, I can't find the patience to write.

I'm already working on giving the storyline a proper ending (though I've concocted a way to get around the Toa's departure without resorting to the whole "distant future" plot device)--which is another reason I'm keeping mum on my 2017 ideas for now. It's slow going, but my goal is to be done within a year, preferably by next summer.

I'd be very interested to see it when you finish.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

I think everyone already nailed what we would have gotten. We would have seen an upgraded Toa team, small sets to accompany them, and possibly a normal Makuta set for the first wave. The second wave would have consisted of some weird number of shadowy villains and a titan set of the Ultimate Power Makuta. Wouldn't have surprised me if we had also gotten another variation of Ekimu, but with the Mask of Time.

As a bit of spectulation, I could definitely see those small sets being villains rather than good guys considering the whole shadow realm thingy that would have went on.

Set-wise, we probably would've gotten an actual Makuta set, which I would've loved to have gotten.

As for story-wise, it's hard for me to say because I still haven't seen Journey to One. (Thanks to the fact that I still don't have Netflix. :P) But based on what I do know of the story, I agree that the Toa probably would've been upgraded in some way. Probably with new armor and weapons. 

But the one thing that I would've loved to have seen in a 2017 storyline would've been Ekimu and Makuta's friendship looked at after their previous battle. I would've loved to have seen their reactions to each other, their conversations about their points of view, and their thoughts on what happened before and what was going on currently in the story. I think some interesting material could've come out of it, but now we'll never know.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

But the one thing that I would've loved to have seen in a 2017 storyline would've been Ekimu and Makuta's friendship looked at after their previous battle. I would've loved to have seen their reactions to each other, their conversations about their points of view, and their thoughts on what happened before and what was going on currently in the story. I think some interesting material could've come out of it, but now we'll never know.

On this note, what if 2017 was a prequel to 2015 and 2016, like Metru Nui was for Mata Nui.  I mean, it wouldn't have to be all sci-fi heavy and cyberpunk like Metru Nui, but what if it was in the years before their duel and they both fell asleep for who knows how many years?  There could be fights between the heroes of old who foretold the coming of the Toa, and a necromancer who Makuta learned the art of creating the Skull Creatures from.  Who knows, maybe Makuta's nightmare world is that ancient city and time, recreated from his fragmented memories.

I don't know, it'd just be really cool if they ran with this and fleshed out the world of Okoto a bit more.  Bionicle is known for switching locales rather suddenly.  Then at the end of that wave / year, it would switch back to the Toa, and them using the knowledge from Ekimu's tale of the ancient world to finally beat Makuta.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

• 1 month later...

I'm actually in the process of rewriting G2 into a more original story, but given we only have two years of material, 2017 will be difficult. I like the idea of a flashback year, but given the information from JtO, 2017 would have been the Shadow Realm invasion line. Who knows? I would have loved to see a line of shadow Toa :P

• Upvote 1

I'm currently in the process of rewriting G2. PM me if interested.

Feel free to follow the blog! (https://spiritofokoto.tumblr.com/)