LEGO Goes to Middle Earth

Reducing the quote box a bit...

I would say it is, quite considerably.In Lord of the Rings, Boromir gasps in agony as he's repeatedly shot with arrows, Lurtz has a limb sliced off followed by his head, Haldir is stabbed then hacked as he falls, and severed heads are catapulted into Minas Tirith. What equivalent is there in the movies you mentioned?Note that this is all realistic violence too, not magical or science fiction.

Well, the first Indiana Jones had people's faces melting off, and the second had the whole "tearing a guy's heart out" thing. The second to last Harry Potter movie/last book had the scene where Hermione is tortured. Revenge of the Sith had Anakin lose his limbs and get severely burned, and A New Hope had Obi-Wan hack that guy's arm off in the cantina. Prince of Persia wasn't too bad, but still wouldn't call it a movies for kids (although the source games were considerably darker).
Indiana Jones - gruesome moments yes, but quite brief and also paranormal.Harry Potter - distressing to watch, but she wasn't killed or badly maimed. Original Star Wars - I'll give you that one, though it happened to a very minor character and a non-human (IIRC).Revenge of the Sith - irrelevant, as the Lego line existed well before its release, so nothing in it would've been considered by Lego when the idea of a Star Wars line was first proposed.Trying to avoid the chomping jaws in the first Prince of Persia...ah, good times http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png

Doesn't need to be realistic and non-paranormal for it to be not kid friendly... Either way, I can say the stuff in Lord of the Rings was easier for me to watch than the heart scene in Temple of Doom (and I didn't see that till I was 17, whereas I saw LOTR in theaters when I was 11-13).

rahkshi_symbol.png

Heh, Andrew may have been suprised by this, but I wasn't in the least. There's been rumors all over the internet for months now, and I would have honestly been shocked if they didn't pick it up. Of course, this means that Lego Kingdoms is as good as dead, which will no doubt upset people who were hoping the Falcon Knight in the Joust set was a preview of a whole new faction. As for me... well, it's just another uber pricey licensed line that I have no need to invest in, especially since I already have a bunch of TLC's Fantasy Castle sets from 2007-2009.

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

oh yes i lovve this so muchi prawwnbably wwont buy any a it thoughthe ninjago dragons alien conquest an the neww HF are puttin enough strain on my coffers as it isan licenced sets are alwwavves ridiculousea ovver priced in my opinionan as to the debate i dont think it is really all that more vviolent than many moments in harry potter or evven bioniclebut its been a long tide since i read he books or wwatched the movvies so there prawwnbably stuff im not rememberin

Edited by caligulasAquarium

"Only the insane equate pain with success.

Only the savage regard endurance of pain as a measure of worth.

Only the foolish consider pain to be just wages for being different".- The Cheshire Cat (American McGee's Alice/Alice:Madness Returns)

Heh, Andrew may have been surprised by this, but I wasn't in the least. There's been rumors all over the internet for months now, and I would have honestly been shocked if they didn't pick it up. Of course, this means that Lego Kingdoms is as good as dead, which will no doubt upset people who were hoping the Falcon Knight in the Joust set was a preview of a whole new faction. As for me... well, it's just another uber pricey licensed line that I have no need to invest in, especially since I already have a bunch of TLC's Fantasy Castle sets from 2007-2009.

Ah, I was happy for LEGO LOTR until you mentioned this.Its become an increasing habit of LEGO to replace original lines with licensed themes. It (eventually) happened with Space in general when Star Wars showed up. Space disappeared for six years until Mars Mission was introduced. the 2009 Pirates were basically replaced with Pirates of the Caribbean. Now Kingdoms (a Castle line, while I have only one set up, I really enjoyed the concept of pitting humans vs humans again as opposed to the humans vs robots/aliens/dead people/creatures norm we've seen) will be replaced by Lord of the Rings?I know this is merely speculation, but I imagine it is extremely accurate speculation. One final grand set (at least to send the theme off properly) and then in with LOTR. Sigh.Even though I'm disappointed at this likely outcome, I eagerly await to see what LOTR has in store part and minifigwise. Of course, this means I'll finally have to start reading the books (or watching the movies) so I have a good understanding.

This interests me directly... Good to see my favourite movie trilogy in minifig scale. It's perhaps ten years I'm waiting for this to happen. If crisis goes away from my new homeland, I'd gladly buy a set or more. Would be better if this time they don't win again... Revenge must be mine...----- Lord of the Rings -----Titles: Dark Lord, Lord of Mordor, Lord of Gifts, Lord of Barad-Dûr, Lord of the Earth

Bag End set? Maybe.Rivendell set? Definitely.Moria set with Balrog? DO WANT.Seriously though, I am incredibly happy that The Lord of the Rings is finally getting the LEGO line it deserves. The only thing that could make this better would be if they made a LEGO Lord of the Rings video game, in which case I just might spontaneously combust from happiness.

Togariku: What the- where did YOU come from?!

Lhikan: Denmark. Or do you mean just now?

The best comedy that has ever been on BZPower: My Life With The Bionicles by Dominus Temporis A.K.A Togariku. (Please don't post, it's dead).

Heh, Andrew may have been surprised by this, but I wasn't in the least. There's been rumors all over the internet for months now, and I would have honestly been shocked if they didn't pick it up. Of course, this means that Lego Kingdoms is as good as dead, which will no doubt upset people who were hoping the Falcon Knight in the Joust set was a preview of a whole new faction. As for me... well, it's just another uber pricey licensed line that I have no need to invest in, especially since I already have a bunch of TLC's Fantasy Castle sets from 2007-2009.

Ah, I was happy for LEGO LOTR until you mentioned this.Its become an increasing habit of LEGO to replace original lines with licensed themes. It (eventually) happened with Space in general when Star Wars showed up. Space disappeared for six years until Mars Mission was introduced. the 2009 Pirates were basically replaced with Pirates of the Caribbean. Now Kingdoms (a Castle line, while I have only one set up, I really enjoyed the concept of pitting humans vs humans again as opposed to the humans vs robots/aliens/dead people/creatures norm we've seen) will be replaced by Lord of the Rings?I know this is merely speculation, but I imagine it is extremely accurate speculation. One final grand set (at least to send the theme off properly) and then in with LOTR. Sigh.
It could be argued that some of Lego's original themes were derivative of licensed media anyway. Adventurers from 1998 to 2003 was based on Indiana Jones, Knights' Kingdom/Castle from 2004 to 2009 were based on Lord of the Rings.I think Lego hope they'll appeal to a wider audience with licensed versions of their own themes. Lego Space only appeals to people who like Lego Space, but Lego Star Wars appeals to both people who like Space and also people who like Star Wars but wouldn't like Lego otherwise. I don't know if it actually works out that way, of course.

Once upon a time, Kirk Kjeld Kristensen said that Lego did not produce green bricks because he did not want to see little boys making tanks. How times have changed... To quote Kevin O'Leary, investment guru: "Are you more interested in making money or being socially responsible?" Good thing we have the upcoming friends line, where girls can help animals and play in treehouses.

Verily, I say unto you, these words which you will never find on a Lego box: "No Assembly Required".

Play well, friends.

Finally, all I can say is this: Megabloks (who had the rights to it for years), was not cutting the mustard as far as LOTR sets goes, the closest I could ever get to satisfying my craving to building LOTR stuffs was in BFME II (Battle for middle earth II, which included an excellent world builder). I can safely say that I will definitely buy at least ONE set, probably the one containing most of the more famous minifigs form the Trilogy.P.S. Trilogy was capitalized on purpose, because Lord of the Rings is just so awesome.

"ARGHHHHHH"-- This particular quote was taken from a certain Benjamin Franklin after his incredible, and rather abrupt discovery of electricity. Surprisingly, he wasn't a president. However I do enjoy owning several smallish, green, Billfold sized pictures of the man.

Once upon a time, Kirk Kjeld Kristensen said that Lego did not produce green bricks because he did not want to see little boys making tanks. How times have changed... To quote Kevin O'Leary, investment guru: "Are you more interested in making money or being socially responsible?" Good thing we have the upcoming friends line, where girls can help animals and play in treehouses.

Kevin O'Leary's words are true for big companies... Kirk Kistensen would gafaw at what it being built with Lego Bricks these days. :P

Finally, all I can say is this: Megabloks (who had the rights to it for years), was not cutting the mustard as far as LOTR sets goes, the closest I could ever get to satisfying my craving to building LOTR stuffs was in BFME II (Battle for middle earth II, which included an excellent world builder). I can safely say that I will definitely buy at least ONE set, probably the one containing most of the more famous minifigs form the Trilogy.P.S. Trilogy was capitalized on purpose, because Lord of the Rings is just so awesome.

Megabloks had rights to LOTR? Didn't know that...

Yeah, they had LOTR, as well as Pirates of the Carribean, and Spider Man. (although Lego Had Spider-Man first, but they sold it to megabloks a long time ago). But Lego is slowly gaining the rights to everything and doing it right.

"ARGHHHHHH"-- This particular quote was taken from a certain Benjamin Franklin after his incredible, and rather abrupt discovery of electricity. Surprisingly, he wasn't a president. However I do enjoy owning several smallish, green, Billfold sized pictures of the man.

I have only one problem: the Ring is donut-sized. I guess that can't be avoided if Frodo is going to hold it though.Smaug and the Lonely Mountain are definately going to be a set/sets. I would prefer two sets there, as Smaug would be bigger and more awesome. I hope for a Balrog that uses Technic parts, Isengard, and especially a video game.

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

I have only one problem: the Ring is donut-sized. I guess that can't be avoided if Frodo is going to hold it though.Smaug and the Lonely Mountain are definately going to be a set/sets.

"Donut" my ring? Okay, I can forgive you. I feel gentle today...As for Smaug and Lonely Mountain, weren't they part of "The Hobbit"? LotR never described those events.----- Lord of the Rings -----Titles: Dark Lord, Lord of Mordor, Lord of Gifts, Lord of Barad-Dûr, Lord of the Earth

I have only one problem: the Ring is donut-sized. I guess that can't be avoided if Frodo is going to hold it though.Smaug and the Lonely Mountain are definately going to be a set/sets.

"Donut" my ring? Okay, I can forgive you. I feel gentle today...As for Smaug and Lonely Mountain, weren't they part of "The Hobbit"? LotR never described those events.----- Lord of the Rings -----Titles: Dark Lord, Lord of Mordor, Lord of Gifts, Lord of Barad-Dûr, Lord of the Earth
I think we can assume that most of the sets are going to come from "The Hobbit".

I think we can assume that most of the sets are going to come from "The Hobbit".
Why should they if the theme is about LotR?----- Lord of the Rings -----Titles: Dark Lord, Lord of Mordor, Lord of Gifts, Lord of Barad-Dûr, Lord of the Earth

Just yes. I knew about this a couple months ago, but this is still exciting. My brother and I have been laughing about Lego making Lord of The Rings sets for years. It just seemed to awesome to be true. Please Lego, Amon Hen, Isengard, Bara-dur, Minas-Morgul, Edoras, Helms Deep, and Moria (A 100 $ Set would be perfect) are all I want.-Lord Darkon, Unknown Ruler of Metru-Nui. Oh, and major LoTR fan.

pNNgXax.jpg

If the Hobbit movie is going to be in 2 parts, the Hobbit sets of 2012 would only be from the first part. I'd like to see if there are new trolls, or if the old ones return. Gollum will be interesting in LEGO form...

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

I just thought of something. If Lego Universe hadn't ended / is ending, would they have had a Lord of the Rings area? Or can they not do that with licensed products?Also, who agrees that Constarction figures should happen too? If they could make The Joker (And Green Lantern, AND Captian America), They could easily make Gimili, Legolas, Aragorn and the Witch-King (Let alone Sauron, Elrond, Gandalf, and Boromir). Also, Goblins and such would have the potential to give us awesome MOCing weapons and armor. I realize that this would be crazy expensive, but considering that Star-Wars was their most succesful line last year, I think Lord of the Rings could make up for it.

Edited by Lord Darkon

pNNgXax.jpg

The theme is not about LotR, it's about the movies based on The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. There's a movie for The Hobbit coming out next year, so it makes sense that the sets will primarily focus the new movie.

Oh. I see.----- Lord of the Rings -----Titles: Dark Lord, Lord of Mordor, Lord of Gifts, Lord of Barad-Dûr, Lord of the Earth

I have to admit, I did not see this one coming. A decade after the movie adaptation of the Fellowship of the Ring hit the silver screen, LEGO and Warner Brothers have teams up to release Lord of the Rings and Hobbit sets. This is some amazing news and I'm sure there are going to be a ton of happy fans today. I know I'm one of them. I sincerely look forward to Toy Fair in a couple months where hopefully we'll get our first glimpse at these sets. There's a <a href="http://thelordoftherings.lego.com/en-us/default.aspx" target="offsite">teaser site</a> up now, and you can read on for the full press release.View the full article

I know I can't wait. I say iit's about time. It'll go along nicely with the new Hobbit movie.PS Does anyone here know me?

SpecOperations9.jpg

Feel free to friend me!

• 3 weeks later...

This is incredible. I have to admit I was ridiculously surprised to hear this, since Megablocks often seems to get so many of the desirable movie and gaming licenses. i just wish they would have made sets like these and Indiana Jones several years ago when I was still collecting Lego Bricks. Oh well... Hopefully my younger brother will buy some and I'll be able to hold them occasionally.

If they made a Bridge of Khazad-dûm set that included a Balrog and a Gandalf minifig I probably would die from excitement. I'm really stoked on this.

Coming Soon! Improved version of my epic from the old forums.

So I stopped following the Bionicle storyline after Metru-Nui... if anyone knows of anywhere I can read up on it to catch up pm me with a link.