Vakama made the kanohi Vahi... BUT WHY?! (G1 related topic)

Well, we all know that the kanohi Vahi was made by Vakama on their way across the Great barrier. but after thinking about it for sometime, it bugs me a little.

The whole reason why vakama ever tried to craft the vahi as a matoran in the first place was because he was tasked to do so by dume.

He later learned that dume was actually Teridax in disguise, and that he asked him for the mask only for his evil plan.

So, why did he complete the mask afterwards?

Of course, he had it used against teridax in their battle (little did he know that he wouldn't be able to control it properly), but it wasn't the only way for the toa to fight him. They could have used their own powers.

As I think about it, when vakama crafted the mask he actually risked that teridax would get the mask somehow from him (which almost happened. almost.) and would be able to procceed with his plan to erase the matoran's memories faster. 

The makuta stated that without the mask of time it would take him a lifetime to find his destiny, that is a lot of time for the toa to come with a rescue plan.

Any answear for that? I had searched LoMN for an obvoius answear but didn't find any.

Don't quote me on this but I always figured, by that point, Vakama just wanted to prove to himself that he could do it. If I remember correctly - and it's been a long time since I watched that movie - he was feeling pretty down by that point, after misinterpretting Lhikan's instruction about protecting 'the heart of Metru Nui' and being the only one who hadn't discovered his mask power; I got the impression that he simply wanted to validate himself in his own eyes, and the only way he knew how was by crafting the 'ultimate' great mask.

That, and I just checked the novel, which says "he couldn't explain why, but he had a feeling that the mask he was making would be vital to saving the city"; so, there's that too. Basically, I guess... he was acting on a hunch, little more than that.

• Upvote 4

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Don't quote me on this but I always figured, by that point, Vakama just wanted to prove to himself that he could do it. If I remember correctly - and it's been a long time since I watched that movie - he was feeling pretty down by that point, after misinterpretting Lhikan's instruction about protecting 'the heart of Metru Nui' and being the only one who hadn't discovered his mask power; I got the impression that he simply wanted to validate himself in his own eyes, and the only way he knew how was by crafting the 'ultimate' great mask.

That, and I just checked the novel, which says "he couldn't explain why, but he had a feeling that the mask he was making would be vital to saving the city"; so, there's that too. Basically, I guess... he was acting on a hunch, little more than that.

I see, 

I too think that vakama did it because it was his matoran way because of two reasons:

1 - In the beginning of he movie, turaga vakama narrated that "the art of making great masks... was all that they lived for" when he talked about his past self.

2- As he sculped the mask, Matau stated that he doesn't need to mask make anymore being a toa.

So... he risked makuta putting its hands on the mask on a hunch  :annoyed:

Sadly the mask was never prooved to be usefull in G1...

Well maybe I think too much. He just created it because it was his art and soul, and it's not that he created it for teridax after all. After looking back on the movie I noticed that he had seen himself using the vahi in his last vision. So mata nui was toying with him.

2004 is my favorite year, altrough I find this plot point a little bit wierd I still like it.

Edited by HeartOfMetruNui

It should be noted that Vakama's "own powers" (I suppose you're talking about his Elemental Powers, right?) have been used up while battling Lohrak.

I talk about all the toa metru's combined poweres. 

Its true that they ran out of them, but they've had their Elemental powers recharged when they sealed makuta in protodermis by the end, so had they only had a little while more they could defeat him together. 

In the meanwhile they could use their mask powers (nuju could try to levitate him, onewa could at least try to mind control him, etc.) and their toa tools.

EDIT:

YES! I have found the way it all adds up:

Indeed vakama made the mask because of him being a former mask maker. According to the book he knew that the mask would play a part in the future: He intended to use its power on makuta. He also saw himself using it in a vision in the movie. After he learned that he can't beat teridax with it, he knocked the mask into the sea so the makuta won't get it! "if I can't have it, you won't either"

By thus vakama ended (or at least, thought that he ended) the problem of the makuta having hold on the vahi.

Edited by HeartOfMetruNui

Indeed vakama made the mask because of him being a former mask maker. According to the book he knew that the mask would play a part in the future: He intended to use its power on makuta. He also saw himself using it in a vision in the movie. After he learned that he can't beat teridax with it, he knocked the mask into the sea so the makuta won't get it! "if I can't have it, you won't either"

By thus vakama ended (or at least, thought that he ended) the problem of the makuta having hold on the vahi.

Yeah, I think you're right.  Not only did he want to prove his own abilities, but he had just experienced the Bionicle Apocalypse.  If you had the power to control time, wouldn't you want to use it to try to fix things after something like that?  I mean, what's Makuta going to do?  Destroy Metru Nui again?

EDIT:

YES! I have found the way it all adds up:

Just wanted to add.  Using the Vahi, Vakama also bought the other Toa enough time to get the Matoran they were carrying out of Makuta's sight. His confronting Makuta alone was a distraction.