The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Halo didn't operate like that Xom, i know that much.Asides mars (which really didn't matter considering it was industrial and you can have massive industrial plants pretty much anywhere) the Main Agricultural planet in the series, harvest, happened to only be inhabited along the equator. Or, at the very least, that's where the majority of farming was. While there were areas elsewhere that were both farmland and inhabbited, the main area was the equator.Besides i don't see how you don't see an advantage in specialization over Generalization. Aren't you the person who usually hates Generalization?

Edited by Lord Kini Hawkeye

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

It varies; for military roles, a specialty is usually a good thing, but for an entire planet it just doesn't make sense.If there will be World Specializations, I'd like to see one more class; Death Worlds. Planets that, either through environment, culture, or some other factors, have high mortality rates, thus producing the most awesome, hardcore footsoldiers in your empire. The name and inspiration I took from Warhammer 40k, where Death Worlds are commonly the birthplaces of Imperial Guard Regiments or Space Marine Chapters.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

It varies; for military roles, a specialty is usually a good thing, but for an entire planet it just doesn't make sense.If there will be World Specializations, I'd like to see one more class; Death Worlds. Planets that, either through environment, culture, or some other factors, have high mortality rates, thus producing the most awesome, hardcore footsoldiers in your empire. The name and inspiration I took from Warhammer 40k, where Death Worlds are commonly the birthplaces of Imperial Guard Regiments or Space Marine Chapters.

Unlike food or production, you don't need an entire world specialization to have a good military force.

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

It's the idea of applied natural selection. If you have a world that's quite deadly by your race's standards(large predators, Australia, lava everywhere, venomous trees, a combination of all four) then a good portion of your people will die, but the remainders will be totally awesome, deadly fighty people.The Spartan Way, basically. Test everyone so the strong survive, and raise the strong as a military force.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Which is why I figured this would probably be one continent on one world that supplied all my best troops.Eh. I guess I'll go with genetic engineering again.

-Rover

This is not the place to discuss the merits of being a SPARTAN! (aside from your profession being "HURGH! HURGH! HURGH!")Anyway, come to think of it, I don't see why I couldn't play an obscenely physically powerful race to begin with. No need for genetic manipulations when you're already obscenely strong and fast.

Edited by King Of Shadows

-Rover

:kaukau: I can't say that this idea will ever be feasible, considering my current lack of knowledge, which is probably shared by almost all members here, but I've thought about the old Imax idea I pondered earlier, though instead of it being a college it would be a military academy. Which overall is a perfect environment for my characters, Ian, Ivan, Ike, and Io. I suppose that it would take away from the nerdy humor of the RPG, though, considering that people would be tempted to take the RPG more seriously. Especially since Imax Academy deals with what I call a "cosmy" (essentially a space navy), colonizing other worlds, and eventually getting into space wars. While that's a rode I would want to go down in my own writing, it's not the feel I would reserve for an RPG, because I'd prefer to break the mold and go for an an intriguing setting that breaks some of the rules of the logic of the real world but not being sci-fi or fantasy like all the other RPGs.Although if anyone's interested in the pitch, go ahead. I'm still hoping to see an RPG with toned-down sci-fi one of these days. I suppose an RPG about real life would be impossible in the sociological atmosphere within BZP, but one that touches into the realm of the fantastic just enough would make it.I'm Tron Paul and I approve this message.

The thing with worlds specialized for agricultural purposes is that they wouldn't be settled in the areas not suited for agriculture. Besides that, different plants are suited for different biomes - some plants do pretty well in the taiga, for example.A Death World, however, is uniformly stupid, and will not be included. You can have worlds that are stated as being difficult to live in, and they will make your people less happy, but they won't produce any more super-soldiers than Australia does.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Are we seriously including a happiness system in this?SERIOUSLY?Because there is no faster way to destroy the illusion of the strange than to act as if human psychology applies. That's why I applied said psychology to the Syrrinx; they were strange, and brutal in some ways, but they were just people. I'd planned on playing the Reverene this time around ,though, and they are a race so strange and alien it would be impossible to put their happiness into human terms.Tron Paul: I do like the idea of Space Naval Academy as a setting for a more character shenanigan based RPG.

-Rover

We seriously included every bloody thing you felt like throwing in, up to and including the idea that trade does absolutely nothingFun fact: in most civilizations, all work and no play makes your citizens pretty angry with you. Unless you can claim to understand a system of psychology so alien to us we have no proof of it existing, then yes, there will be the possibility of unhappy citizens. It won't be a dice-roll like everything you did in Starscape, but if you screw your citizens over, they will screw you over. Now, of course, if you specify that your race likes smog, harsh living conditions and all the rest, then they'll be perfectly fine with you putting them through that.Frankly, you overestimate your own creativity, Xom. At no point in any incarnation of IL has anyone come up with a species with minds so different from ours that they can't be understood in terms of the mental states and emotions we think of. Though they spoke in light, the Alizarin felt concern, distrust, and happiness. The Hortla, though they were freaking crystalline cats - and the cats part of that just proves my point - felt anger, pride, and smugness.If a large enough number of people feel that the changes I'm making would ruin Starscape, I'll stop, and we can let it stay dead. If you're the only one who feels that way, though, I'm going to keep at it.EDIT: I shake my fist at thee, verb tensi!

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well, to be fair, I was the one blathering on about sci-fi "hardness", and Xom's the one crying for blood over the concept of happy/unhappy citizens.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well, really, when you're trying to get the scope of realism down for a setting, it makes sense to get the levels across the board to be relatively even - like, if you want to cry for hyper-realistic science (and, by extension, levels of magic, the occult and the weird), then you should have people with a hyper-realistic perception of things.

Just a few more things Alex, more nit-picky than anything, but still legitimate questions:

• [*]How many millennium of recorded history can our civilizations date back?[*]How are you going to mark specific players territories on the map, which looks quite good btw.[*]Could we have a list of the average IP cost for different types of units?

Also, how do these banners look?Thing-ama-ding OneThing-ama-ding Two

Edited by Veeci

Imagine, a room, awash in gasoline. And there are two implacable enemies in that room. One of them has nine-thousand matches. The other has seven-thousand matches. Each of them is concerned about who's ahead, who's stronger. - Carl Sagan
Formerly Vorox Chief.

One thing, then.Don't call it Starscape. And, in all honestly, tear the thing apart. Starscape wasn't all that great an RPG. It's much better suited to life as the Tabletop Game it will someday be.As for a happiness guage, it really looks to me like a way to punish people for using government types you don't like. The Reverene were to be ruled by an elitist oligarchy. That would be minus points on the happiness meter, wouldn't it?

Edited by King Of Shadows

-Rover

I see it less as a 'happiness gauge' than it is a case of "Wait, you committed genocide on your own people, declared war against your allies, and proved to be engaging in less than savory hobbies... how are you still cranking out fanatically loyal foot soldiers without mass defections? How is that realistic?"

Edited by Undying Light of the Lake

Oh, don't worry, I will continue with the proud tradition of whimsically renaming incarnations of IL.And no, no, no, just no. First of all, it's not a bleeding "happiness gauge". That's the stupidest phrase I've had to utter since "trade does absolutely nothing." It's much more along the lines of what Lake-Lamp and Lloyd said - if you screw your people over with something so over the top that it just can't be ignored, they will storm the capitol, chase you into a drainage pipe, drag you out of that pipe, and beat you to death. If you get in war after war after war, your citizens just might get tired of sending their kids off to fight - unless of course you have a genetically engineered warrior caste, in which case test tubes don't get tired of anything, but the rest of your citizens might be a little miffed at what you're spending so much of the budget on.I'm cool with totalitarianism or hard-line communism or, heck, even libertarianism in this game, but if you hire mercenaries to shoot up your people because your approval ratings dipped a little in one district, they'll be very unhappy. One way to deal with that is to spend more resources on internal security - build a cozy little police state to keep people under control. Another way to deal with it is to keep your people happy, whatever that entails in this specific case.And the reason Starscape didn't work out that well was because you have much more experience with table-top games than text-based ones, so you were thinking in terms of one, and then, when the conflict slowed down a bit and everyone was getting along reasonably well for people who just witnessed the most destructive war so far, you pulled the plug on the whole thing.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Just a few more things Alex, more nit-picky than anything, but still legitimate questions:

• [*]How many millennium of recorded history can our civilizations date back?[*]How are you going to mark specific players territories on the map, which looks quite good btw.[*]Could we have a list of the average IP cost for different types of units?

Also, how do these banners look?Thing-ama-ding OneThing-ama-ding Two

~Humanity mysteriously emerged to form tribes roughly nine thousand years ago.~Yeah, I'm just gathering player colors atm for it.~That'll prolly be posted in my blog soonish.As for the banners, I'm loving them. They'll be included in the topic.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Yeah, forgot to mention in my last post, but I'm definitely digging the banners, Veeci. I'm not going to use them, because, well, I don't generally do banners, but they're good.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

If everything goes according to plan, we may hit the approval topic tomorrow. I just need to make sure everything is in place and ready before Strith/Strio gets sent out.In the mean time, I suggest you peeps plan strategy, prepare esponiage missions, that sort of thing. Contact will be interesting to say the least.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Also, out of simple curiosity, I have a question for any Judges that might frequent this topic.Would a game along the lines of Starscape, but with the changes suggested in this topic (and more, no doubt) be eligible for approval while Strið Karla is up and running? The style of the games (control of an entire military/political bloc, focus on diplomacy and warfare, focus on territorial control) is similar, which makes me fear that the differences in gameplay and setting would not be enough to make them different enough to both run at the same time.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Also, out of simple curiosity, I have a question for any Judges that might frequent this topic.Would a game along the lines of Starscape, but with the changes suggested in this topic (and more, no doubt) be eligible for approval while Strið Karla is up and running? The style of the games (control of an entire military/political bloc, focus on diplomacy and warfare, focus on territorial control) is similar, which makes me fear that the differences in gameplay and setting would not be enough to make them different enough to both run at the same time.

The mechanics of the game may be similar, but if we were going to block RPGs based on that alone we'd only have one going at a time because the others would be too similar based on their 'players write the story themselves' mechanic.IL.03 is about aliens and space and woooo, SK is about people and complex manoeuvring of both troops and politics and dakka dakka dakka. I hope that makes my position clear :P

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Alrighty, so I've got the finalized version of Stríð here, so anyone who wants to read it over again, you can now do so without going back five pages. All that remains is some final map tweaking, and a terrain map for the main continent, which I should be able to finish later today -hopefully-. All in all I'll have plenty more time to do it, as it'll take at least a week for anyone to go and colonize land there. Changes of note are that I shortened the non-understanding of languages to two real days, as ingame that translates to roughly eighty days. Plenty of time for your linguists to figure it out and translators to start learning the language.---Every action has a reaction; for every action there are infinite reactions. With every passing moment an infinite amount of universes is created. In one universe, the Earth took a rather odd course; instead of a few large continents the world shaped into over a dozen small continents. In events unknown humanity sprung up on these continents, with never ending storms covering the oceans. Deadly waves and constant hurricanes prevented these pockets of humanity from encountering each other, isolating them from their siblings as they began to grow.Now, in the modern age, these pockets of humanity have achieved space flight, and mysteriously the storms have ended. These pockets of humanity will encounter their brethren for the first time in history, either in the open hands of peace... or the closed fists of war.Stríð Karla(War of Men)Hosted by Alex Humva, Co-Hosted by Kothra StreamdiverRules of Conquest~God mode; don’t do it. What is it? When you do something completely overpowered.~~Auto hitting; preserve balance. It may be easy to get caught up in the sometimes large numbers, but remember, no gun is 100% accurate nor is any soldier a super soldier -unless specially trained, of course-.~All BZP rules apply, naturally.~Keep in perspective what your civilization is feeling; if you devote massive resources to military might, something has to give, and it’s typically civilian supplies. There’s patriotism, then there’s just plain absurdity.~IC is for In Character, OOC is for Out of Character.~Be respectful, have fun, that good stuff.Effects of Poor StrategyAny can be given at any time, but the last two require both hosts to agree on.~Warning~Random natural event -epidemic, hurricane, etc- wipes out a portion of your empire.~Military secrets are leaked to your enemies.~Empire is completely destroyed; restart.~Temporary ban, length judged by crime.~Full ban.The World At LargeThis RPG-RTS combo game takes place on an alternate Earth; the universe is more or less the same, but Earth’s geological structure has been tossed around, resulting in fifteen Australia sized continents and a number of islands. Storms have plagued the world for eons, keeping humanity isolated from itself. Amazingly enough however almost all the civilizations have progressed at the same rate, reaching a state of technology similar to our own 1980s. Later on in the game we'll advance tech levels and, if this RPG lasts long enough, reach the future. In recent times the civilizations have sent out their first space rockets, many encountering each other in orbit. With the storms gone and clear views of their neighboring continents humanity has begun to build a navy, to expand outwards and explore.The continents of the world have suspiciously rich mineral deposits of all the vital industrial minerals; iron, nickle, tin, tungsten, copper, silicon, titanium, zinc, and so forth. The islands that dot the world have similar but reduced deposits, and this all results in some very strong industries. However, there is an odd shortage of uranium and other radioactive substances in the world; because of this nuclear fission is impossible and nuclear fusion near it. This means you can’t nuke your neighbors, not unless you invest heavily into making a fusion warhead. It’s a risky move but you can use it as a threat.It should also be mentioned, due to being isolated from everyone for all their existence, the nations of the world have different languages. This plays ingame; it takes two real life days for your linguists to figure out the language and translators become actively available.As well, something more about the RPG itself than the ingame stuff, if you have an idea, a suggestion for an action, or some crazy equipment thing, ask. This RPG encourages freedom of choice and ideas. Think out of the box and don't be afraid to ask if your insane idea is ok, because that's what this is all about; having fun with stuff you typically couldn't get away with in a more grounded video game or something. Imagination is the limit here, not mechanics.Methodology of WarFirst things first; how does one make their empire? Well, everyone starts out on a continent; unless two or more players agree with each other, you get your own continent to yourself. Two or more players can however talk with each other and, if they mention that when they sign up, can start on the same continent as another player(s). Just remember to include that in your civilization’s history. Continents are then divided into provinces, represented as blocks in a grid on the map; what do provinces do? Well, you can build towns on them. You ship out a bunch of people, they make a town, the town grows, and eventually you get a productive citizenry.So you build stuff in your various provinces, and everything is cool; then you want to, say, go build a military. The military draws it’s budget from the industrial production of your cities, which represent arbitrarily all your scientific, industrial, civilian, and other benefits into a number. This number shows how much you can build; in some instances it can seem weird and irrelevant, but fact of the matter is we need some sort of system to limit production, and this is it. We talk about it more in the mechanics section.Now, you have your budding nation, your grand army, and you want to go invade someone. However do you do that? Well, you send in your troops, and start roleplaying as a sort of commander, or even going directly into the action as a soldier. Because of the scale often involved in such things -thousands of troops vrs thousands of troops-, it’s pretty easy to get lost in it, so it’s typically best if you use command your troops in their legions/squads/troop formations/whathaveyou. You could however individually command vehicles, since they tend to be in much shorter supply. Or you could micromanage every last soldier; but if you value your sanity, you won’t.When attacking people, something to keep in mind is the terrain; predetermined by the map -for the main continent at least; players are free to make up their own terrain for their own homelands-, different tactics will work in different areas. If your fighting in the city, use urban warfare tactics. If you’re fighting in the mountains, use mountain warfare tactics. So forth and so forth and so forth. Charging head on in the mountains will get you slaughtered.Then there is another strategic element; while we do have planes in this era that can nearly go all the way around the world, there is a need for refueling spots; that is what the little islands scattered throughout the world do. Now, some islands are part of a mainland sub-continent and don't work the same way; if you're confused about a certain spot PM me and I'll tell you. These islands exist in the middle of the ocean and serve as positions where you can build military bases on. They give no IP benefit but do serve as a supply point, helping your troops in far away lands and making it clear that you mean business.MechanicsThis game, while having a greater focus on the role playing and strategy parts of RPG-RTS, still has numbers and mechanics for balance. We try to keep them to a minimum, but it’s needed for these purposes.First off, getting industrial points; the name is ripped directly from our space counterpart, so deal with it. Provinces, the grids on the map, have varying industry points, as listed below;Settlement; 0 IPSmall Territory; 1 IPMedium Territory: 5 IPLarge Territory: 10 IPSmall State: 20 IPMedium State: 30 IPLarge State: 40 IPCapitol State: 60 IPSuper Province: 80 IPSeem arbitrary? It is ever so slightly, but it’s just how we roll. Now, how do you make a province grow? Well, here’s where it gets a little complex; all cities have a default time of when they’ll mature, as follows;Settlement; one weekSmall Territory; two weeksMedium Territory; two weeksLarge Territory: two weeksSmall State: 3 weeksMedium State: 3 weeksLarge State: 3 weeksCapitol State: average province cannot achieve this, but the upgrade time is still there; 4 weeksSuper Province: No further upgradeSimple enough, right?One might ask, “well, how do I found new provinces?” Well, it’s something that slightly annoys me to do but it’s simply a must to keep balance; you go into a post and say you’ve begun recruiting for a new town. It's kinda like saying 'I began production of x amount of tanks in x province', except it's more 'Recruiting calls for civilians have went out across the empire for a new settlement'. It then takes one real week for the settlers to be gathered. So what's the catch? During this time your entire empire experiences halted province growth. Yes. The entire empire. Your industry is uneffected, but your empire will stop growing. When the call is over everything returns to normal. As well, only one recruiting call can be out at any one time. It's a hard choice; do you stop your empire's growth to colonize, or bunker down and wait for another time?Now, all these large numbers may seem crazy, but that’s because unlike our space counterpart, there is no set in stone IP cost for military. Basically, when you send in your design for a tank, you can put whatever the **** you want on there. What a skyscraper sized tank with fifteen city leveling guns? Go right ahead; it’ll just cost you your entire budget. This throws standardization to the wind in favor of a more free, unrestricted design base. How does one figure out the IP cost of a unit, though? Well, you send your designs to Kothra, who using his semi-sorta vast military expertise figures something out. If you feel he gives you something that isn’t fair, argue. If you don’t win and still think it’s unfair, talk to me. If I think he’s right, well, you’re out of luck.So if you, say, build an M1 tank, Koth may say it’s five IP for a batch of two. Or something else; I’m not him, I don’t know. So it is possible to produce things in batches. It should be noted you can only build one batch of something per province. The build times and cost of building them is, again, decided by Koth.Troops... are slightly more complicated. You don’t technically ‘build’ troops; your troops are determined by your cities and their sizes, giving out a certain amount of platoons -one thousand troops-. You have a constant standing army, who’s size is directly proportional to city sizes. The amount is as follows;Outpost; no benefitSmall Territory; no benefitMedium Territory; 1 battalionLarge Territory; 2 battalionsSmall State; 4 battalionsMedium State; 5 battalionsLarge State; 10 battalionsCapitol State; 50 battalionsSuper Province: 100 battalionsNow, these are just grunt infantry and stock troop transports; they suck zero IP. If you want special teams, like say, Navy SEALs or elite snipers or super soldiers, you send in a form to, again, Koth, and he deals with the training time and how much upkeep they cost, as elite soldiers always get paid more.MapCurrent model, version 0.9. Upgrades to the map, such as terrain, continent tweaking and re balancing will come as time permits, all of which will happen before posted for approval.Entry FormsThis is where you go to send stuff in. Your civilization, it’s vehicles, all of that good stuff, uses a standardized form. Either post all your stuff in the topic or in your blog so we know what we're dealing with. Also, as a note, the weapons form serves to explain exotic weapons; if you're making a standard tank, just say the tank's gun in the tank form. If you have something exotic like a sonic cannon, then you have a weapon form explaining it.Also, POST YOUR FORMS IN TOPIC OR YOUR BLOG AND POST A LINK TO YOUR BLOG ENTRY. IF YOU DON'T DO THIS, NASTINESS HAPPENS.Civilization Form:Name: All nations have a name; what’s yours?History: Your people have a backstory; explain it. This also doubles as a sort of personality area, so you can explain why your people are pacifists or xenophobics or what.Cultural traits: Everyone has them; generalists? Technologists? Warriors? Merchants? While they have no impact on your IP, it is taken into account when you’re role playing.Location: You get your own pretty continent, unless you and someone else agree to play on the same one. You get the entire continent because of the era this is set in, so you may have whatever combination of city classes you wish that add up to one hundred and fifty IP.Vehicle Form:Vehicle Class: We got M1 tanks in real life, what’s yours?Vehicle Description: Is it an airplane? Hovercraft? Tank? Humvee? Describe it here.Weaponry: Unless it’s completely unarmed, it’s going have something.Upkeep/Build time/Build Cost: Determined by Koth or, if he’s busy, me; leave blank and we’ll tell you.Troop Form:Division Name: Navy SEALs? Section 13? ****’s Troopers? Think of something.Division Description: Describe exactly what makes these guys go above and beyond the average foot soldier. As well, you can include specialized troop transports in here for them if you wish.Weaponry: What specs are they carrying?Upkeep/Build time/Build Cost: Determined by Koth or, if he’s busy, me; leave blank and we’ll tell you.Weapons Form: Weapon Name: It's exotic so you could give it a cool name if you so wanted.Weapon Description: Why is this so worthy of it's own form explaining it's function?Weapon Cost: Some weapons are so good they actually add to the IP cost; Koth will tell you this number.

Edited by Sweetroll Thief Alex Humva

voidstars.png

As was noted above, platoon is the wrong word for 1,000 troops. Battalion would be better, and even sounds cooler.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Blah. Technicalities, technicalities. Under that logic we could also call them legions. But wth, I'll go change it. The name doesn't effect gameplay though; you may name your troops columns whatever the **** you please. I know mine are going be called legions.Oyeah, and upon further discussion, me and Koth have tweaked the time thingy about; it's four months to one decade now.

Edited by Sweetroll Thief Alex Humva

voidstars.png

Speaking of which, the ambiguity of the timescale in Starscape was one thing that bugged me personally - the flow of time made no sense in any way, really. Any suggestions on how I should manage the flow of time in the third iteration? I'm thinking of either clubbing Alex over the head and stealing SK's timescale while he's unconscious or just implementing the first and second rules of [sorry, the rules I'm thinking of implementing forbid the mention of what I'm taking the rules from] to keep the ridiculousness of the Starscape timescale manageable.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

No need to club me, I'll give it away happily. I don't like concussions.Keep in mind though that spaceships are bloody hard to make. Modern day warships take well over a year to make, and god-forbid an aircraft carrier. And then on a space ship you need a ton of testing to make sure your fusion drive doesn't explode and take you with it.

voidstars.png

Agreed on that point. If we're going to have faster-than-light travel, it may as well be quick enough that you aren't taking months to do what is, by definition, supposed to be a near-instantaneous jump.As for spaceship build-times, the assumption here is that fusion reactors are, by this point, fairly reliable, and that manufacturing techniques have sped up the production of large-scale spaceships so it doesn't take any more than 10 times the time required for a large ocean-going vessel.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Still; ten times a large oceanic warship is about a decade. It takes us almost a year to make an F-22; warships take more than one jet fighter.True, we have an entire planet's industry devoted to it, so that'll substaintially increase the speed, but still. I couldn't see a fifty meter long starship taking less than two years to make, even with massive industrial output. It's just too **** big.Also, we have the issue of population, which is what I gave a three paragraph long rant on in Starscape. Robotic workers have probably at this point in time replaced most organic workers, but you still need a good amount of people to have a decent economy for an interstellar empire. America has, in the last century, tripled it's population. While that's bad for us because it means people are starting to get smushed together, it's bad for interstellar empires because you simply can't produce kids fast enough. In Starscape I said my colonizers take two million people, all of which are stored in stasis so as to take up less space. A lot of people, but needed for the sort of genetic variety and settlements you'll want to set up around the planet. You could feasibly scale it down to five hundred thousand, but we're assuming two million to help our numbers.So two million settlers land on the planet and immediately start having kids. Taking America's growth rate, in one century we'll have six million settlers. Cool. Except that six million people, while it's a lot of people, is nothing compared to an entire planet. You have that many people in the New York -the state, not the city-. So yeah.

voidstars.png