The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Well, what if they appeared in the city without any faction having created them? Just showing up out of the blue and mowing through the city and such.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodies? Your grace."

"I know that one. 'Who watches the Watchmen?' Me, Mr. Pessimal."

"Ah, but who watches you, your grace?"

"I do that too. All the time."

If anyone would be interested in co-hosting a Discworld-themed RPG for OTC, please PM me!

The point is, though, would they be playable? A deadpan snarking scorpion-dude would be the best thing ever.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Yeah, they'd be playable. Just not at first. Once they're introduced though, then yes.

If anyone would be interested in co-hosting a Discworld-themed RPG for OTC, please PM me!

Why the delay on introducing them, though? They aren't that different from insects, just more legs.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Okay, you bring up a good point... Alright, you've convinced me, I'll add them from the beginning.

or maybe 2020 or maybe even 2011 :oshoot stick it in 2002 people were crazy back then

We have that sort of genetic manipulation right now? Wasn't aware.Keep in mind genes are NOT Lego Bricks; successful hybrids would require a ****ton of research and knowledge we don't have today. We're rapidly on the track for that knowledge but we don't have it today, unless the government is doing it behind our backs. In which case if the government can make human-insect hybrids, why can't we get a decent budget? Then again, genetics and economics rarely mix so it's a moot point.
jurassic park sold, so will this. what are you, a cop?

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Well, I think the stated point of this thing was to show how cool arthropods could be.So you could have a lobster-dude in the NYC sewers. Maybe a...Robster.jpgRobster?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Yeah, the premis of this RPG is basicly insect-like people, not just animal-like. Seeing as fish are animals... Sorry, but I think fish-people are a little too far fetched from my original premise...

I don't really see the purpose in limiting it to insects, but it's alright with me I guess.How much freedom can we have with our characters?Suggestions:While the ANTs make a bit of sense, with the whole hive mind thing, I think you should remove the wasp faction. It seems unnecessary. Really, I think the only factions that need to be limited character wise are the humans and the ANTs. Any others should be mixes.I think the factions need better names- "Humans" doesn't really inspire morale. :PAnd could players create their own factions?

Edited by Toast of Awesomeness

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Well, I don't bloody well see how someone would be half poptart. Poptarts don't exactly have genes.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Unless I'm putting you in an orange-juicer and squeezing your head, I don't see how that's happening.Anyway, back on topic, I'd like to see more explanation of the factions. Especially the waspy one, that doesn't seem to have much of a point.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

But there doesn't seem to be much about what the wasps want. They're just wasps, and they're a faction, and they're going all killy. With the ants, you know that they're a hive-mind, so that's something, but hive-mindyness isn't mentioned (I think) with the wasps, and neither is any motive. They're just there, and they're presumably stab-happy, and everyone else seems to agree that this is a bad thing, though unaffiliated humans seem split as to whether it's worse than the ants being all hive-mindy and (presumably) nippy.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Pehaps it wasn't explained enough, but my intention was that the WASPs were created specificly to combat the ANTs. However, they developed the same problem as the ANTs, and now they want to be the dominant species in the city.

So with the demise of Alkermpa I'm back into the RPG thinktank business, so I ask your guys opinion on this matter; which would you like better, a magic vrs technology RPG set in the near future or a down to earth version of Interstellar Line/Starscape, with 80s era technology, so instead of starships you build legions of troops, armies of tanks, and tons of airplanes? It was being discussed by Rover and Wrack before the upgrade, but since both have seemingly abandoned any such projects I'm looking at filling that spot.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

kinda arouses the question 'what kinda person talks about politics on a lego site' but i guess we all gotta get our kicks somehow, right

Try not to be a dick, eh?Look at starscape. that RPG's one of the most popular currently on the site and it's all about politics. And war. And the politics associated with war. So really, it's mostly Politics. Obviously not real world but it's the same diff. Considering this is COT, it's not a lego site.As for the latter Alex, i did have a draft ages ago for a Medieval Interstellar Line. It's in the archives somewhere and i can pull it up if you want to take some stuff from it for a more modernized version. Though personally i'd go for something more Fantasy Oriented - perhaps Steampunkish if that's your thing, just to allow players more customization than they get with something modern.

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

What kind of world would the latter be set in? Would we play as real nations, or another world with our own nations and cultures?

It would have to be a pseudo-earth (like Crimson Jester's Break Point back in the day), because real-world politics (which an RPG set with real nations would certainly lead to) are a nono here because it starts flame wars and whatnot.

What the Kothman said; it'd probably take place on Earth, with different continents and all. People would probably start out on Australia sized continents, and the backstory would be that for thousands of years the peoples of these continents have lived in isolation thanks to never ending storms. One day the storms clear though, coincidentally right before the first rockets are sent into space -alien interference? who knows-, and people begin sailing out, to meet their fellow inhabitants of the world.Like I said before, it'd probably be eighties era tech, so there'd be extremely limited space stuff -like, spy satellites would be a huge undertaking, and trying to set up Project Thor would be obscenely difficult-, and there'd be no nukes because of an odd lack of uranium and plutonium. Because of that, fusion nukes would be exceedingly difficult to make -most modern day fusion warheads use uranium or plutonium to create the intense heat needed for fusion-, so while you could potentially make one, it'd be really, really, expensive.@Kini; I'll definitely look into a fantasy type. Edited by Cartographer Alex Humva

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Anything insect-like you can think of really. For example, I don't think fireflies count as 'hard shelled', but the narrator in the opening post is a firefly hybrid.

Yeah, I'mma going whip something up tonight, and me and Koth will throw it back and forth until we decided on something that's worthy of putting out there. I can already say this though; while it'll take inspiration from Starscape's industry system, it's going be pretty different in actual application and buildup.

voidstars.png

Okay, anything with an exo-skeleton goes, yes. :)

Would we be humans in this Nationstates RPG?

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

I think it's safe to say that probably, yes. At the very least we'd all be playing the same species.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

kinda arouses the question 'what kinda person talks about politics on a lego site' but i guess we all gotta get our kicks somehow, right

Try not to be a dick, eh?Look at starscape. that RPG's one of the most popular currently on the site and it's all about politics. And war. And the politics associated with war. So really, it's mostly Politics. Obviously not real world but it's the same diff. Considering this is COT, it's not a lego site.
i meant real world politics. as in what kinda person is gonna talk about obama's latest campaign on a lego site. good to see how your mind works, though.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

I take it you haven't spent much time on COT, then. The reason we have the rules regarding keeping discussion of politics out (anything from modern stuff to certain parts of history) is because of fights that have broken out in the past over these matters.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

i meant real world politics. as in what kinda person is gonna talk about obama's latest campaign on a lego site. good to see how your mind works, though.

People talk about whatever here. The fact that it's a "Lego site" doesn't discourage anything.Besides, some people (Like Shadows up there) Don't even go onto the lego portion of this site. It's not a Lego site if you don't go to the lego things :PAlso Alex, sounds good to me. Just make sure if you're going to base it off of Starscape's Industry that you don't make it a tabletop RPG. I'd rather play those around a table, not my computer :P

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

I second Kini's motion. Despite everything else I like about it, Starscape is a bit too table-toppy for me.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom