The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

I think proper werewolves should be done Warren Zevon style. You know, like that hairy-handed gent who ran amok in Kent. Lately he's been overheard in Mayfair.But, hrmm, yes, werewolves definitely shouldn't just turn into proper wolves, they should end up somewhere halfway. Like in The Fly (Jeff Goldblum version), but, you know, a wolf flew into the teleporter pod instead of a fly. Wolves fly, right?
Problem is there've been so many different kinds of werewolves throughout the years and cultures that there is no 'proper' kind. If you wanted different options, why not have different species of werewolves? I think they did that on Angel to explain why some were quadrupedal and others were bipedal. Or that the shapeshifting has different rules depending on what tribe/culture/pack you come from

7AOYGDJ.jpg

So, so far, we've got:VampiresWerewolves (of a sort we're still fighting about)MagicAncient setting?Hm. This should be fun.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Little known fact, Ben Franklin was, in fact, a wereturkey.I still demand my werebear btw. Otherwise I'll have to have a guy who wears a bear skin.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Yeah. These were guys who worked themselves up into a very interesting state of mind, put on their bear-skin shirt, nibbled on their shields a bit, and then flipped everybody's table.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Aye, putting on the skins of animals, doing drugs, and acting generally crazy, usually on the battlefield, seems to be a time honored tradition amongst us humans. Even the Aztecs did it! ...with human skin. So replace drugs here with mythical folklore and hey my guy in a bear skin suddenly is a bit more like the animal he's attempting to impersonate.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Aye, putting on the skins of animals, doing drugs, and acting generally crazy, usually on the battlefield, seems to be a time honored tradition amongst us humans. Even the Aztecs did it! ...with human skin. So replace drugs here with mythical folklore and hey my guy in a bear skin suddenly is a bit more like the animal he's attempting to impersonate.
'When I wear this skin into battle, I will become... a wereperson!'Oh Aztecs, you so crazy.But yeah, that would work, I think, for a bear, though not so much for a wereturkey. Their skins are kind of smallish.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Yeah, I was actually planning Berserkers as shape-shifters with a bear specialization.And we'll also have fey/leprechauns, if I get my way. :PI just think that's its very likely any large, powerful, nocturnal, and unknown creature could, in the ancient world, be compared to a wolf. I don't really want werewolves to just turn into wolves. That's shapeshifters. :P

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

I think we could go with the Skyrim approach. Power and large man/wolf hybrid. ....Bah. I'm lukewarm about leprechauns. They seem extraneous.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

The people of the ancient world were actually pretty smart when it came to figuring out what went bump in the night. Usually because things that went bump in the night were out for your blood.

voidstars.png

This is for the purpose of dragging something that initially stated itself to be a Twilight RPG kicking and screaming into the light of reason.And, ToA, there's a difference between a shapeshifter that turns into a wolf, and a werewolf. One turns into a wolf, the other turns into something about halfway between a wolf and a human.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Alright fine, wolf/man mix. :P But I'm not putting in other were-creatures. They can be shapeshifters.Well, faeries is closer to what I had in mind. As in a Midsummer Night's Dream style. They'll just be referred to as Leprechauns in the Celtic lands.I'm thinking this will be quite a good RPG.

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Also Koth wants to know if kitsune can be involved here.For those who don't know kitsune are a Japanese myth involving foxes that turn into humans. Not humans into foxes mind you, foxes into humans.Ok he didn't actually want to know but I think they're cool and he was talking about them.

voidstars.png

That's what I was thinking myself. Ultimately Twilight is a romance of questionable quality with supernatural elements thrown in. This has the supernatural elements in the foreground and no romance, because COTRPGs have never done wonders in the romance section. It's not really a Twilight RPG anymore because, well, not much of a universe left once you strip out the romance and most of the vampire-werewolf canon.

Edited by Void Prophet Alex Humva

voidstars.png

^Yes to that.And we'll be in the Roman Empire- not kitsunes. :PAlso, I'm going to use Faerie as a catch all for nymphs, leprechauns, etc. I'll type up my basic idea later.Also, to make vampires more killable- their bodies behave as if made of very hard stone(clubs are great), except concerning iron. They react to iron as any normal human would. So an iron sword can kill, just make sure you do something with it that will kill them. Like beheading. Not stabbing in the gut.And always follow with a good bonfire. :P

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Would say, cutting up a vampire with an iron sword and then feasting on the resulting flesh chunks kill them?I ask because it's Rome and with the crazies they put in charge something like this is going to happen.

Hmm, so no way to fit some Aztec insanity into this.Ah well, I'm sure my Swedish barbarian will work.Also when I heard the 'make sure it'll kill them' bit I immediately thought of this line."So will a stake through the heart kill you?""Yeah, who wouldn't it?"Also what time period? The Roman Republic or the Roman Empire? Both lasted centuries, and had very different periods. I'd say Augustus' reign but I'm a bit of an Augustus fanboy.

voidstars.png

Huh. Well, that might turn you into one- get the venom in your body. Alright so we've got:-Vampires-Werewolves-Shapeshifters(Kelpies, Berserkers, Gallic tribes, Egyptian god-posers)-Magic-Faeries-Undead from Egypt?I think mermen can be mentioned, perhaps encountered, but I don't see anyone playing as one going over well.Anything else? I'm open to some kind of demon creature, and perhaps angel stand-ins from Palestine.Alex: I was thinking Empire.Power: I plan to make the two rivals of sorts. Though true faeries won't be appearing... These will be closer to half-humans. Not directly though.

Edited by Toast of Awesomeness

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Empire?Time to see if I can make it fall a few centuries early then. Gallic Warlord ho!EDIT: I'd like it if we didn't make any one faction so clearly evil. Makes things more interesting if you can't figure out who's right.

Edited by Basilisk

The Roman Empire arguably lasted the better part of a millennium if not more via the Holy Roman Empire and Byzantium. You can't just say 'empire' man. :P

voidstars.png

Alright so we've got:-Vampires-Werewolves-Shapeshifters(Kelpies, Berserkers, Gallic tribes, Egyptian god-posers)-Magic-Faeries-Undead from Egypt?I think mermen can be mentioned, perhaps encountered, but I don't see anyone playing as one going over well.Anything else? I'm open to some kind of demon creature, and perhaps angel stand-ins from Palestine.
How about not making it a great big monster mash from the get go? Why not just start with shapeshifters and vampires then either deal with others on a case by case basis or bring them in later. Just seems that by throwing everything in immediately you make things a bit overly cluttered

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Oh, the Faeries won't be clearly good. Imagine this- they hate vampires, they'll keep you safe, but they steal children for entertainment and give them back when, if ever, they feel like it. They live absurdly long lives and no one controls them. They see humans as inferior. If you live in Ireland or another place they're in charge, you lie low or they will kill you without a second thought. Probably laugh at it.Vampires don't want to be in charge, usually the ones that do basically let you do whatever as long as they're kept fed.I'd like to keep this pre-Christianity- helps keep existing religion out and keeps things simpler.

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Well, if it's Empire era, then that limits you to about a hundred years or two afterward Augustus' reign. Depends on how wide spread it becomes before you cut the line.

voidstars.png

I would think an empire expanding into the territories of other peoples would be plot enough. Plus it's Rome. Even odds there's a coup brewing in the wings.

I'd be willing to co-host, seeing as I'm currently running through the seventh draft of The Outer Worlds and still counting.

voidstars.png