The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Mm.Right. If you have a fanbase go for it. I'll just be here. Ranting. About the range of machines guns and their firing and accuracy rates. And the comparative range of swords.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Genetic enhancement doesn't really stop bullets does it? They're still weak fleshy creatures that-sorry. Sorry. Ranting.Bullets are fas-sorry. Reflex. Reflex.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Your love for consideration of realism is quite mighty, Basilisk.My other option was equally farfetched, but less lodged in genetic enhancement, going the route of a Monster Hunter RPG, set around the coming of the Fatalis. But I can't imagine much of a player-base for that.

~Totally like a boomerang. I always come back. Just never when you want me to.~

I wish there was a point at which we COTRPGers could throw up our hands and just all go run to the local non-bar since most of us are under the age of 21 and have adventures with little basis in reality or physics or crazy moral ambiguity. Go save the princess, fight the bad guy, jump over great chasms, do stuff that is just plain absurd but really rather funny. Sure, every RPG shouldn't be like it, but I really am starting to tire over this constant "physics must be upheld! The enemies must be morally grey and not actually all that evil!"Those are good elements don't get me wrong, it's just that I sometimes wish for variety.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Mind you, when I say really evil villains I don't mean funnel Stalin and go commit genocide, I mean, just, villains. Some evil wizard in his tower plotting to take over the land or marry the princess or I don't bloody know. I'd say something you'd find in a fairy tale, but then I realized I'm thinking Disney and that the Grimm Brothers wrote some pretty dark stuff.I think what I'm trying to say is an RPG where you can have a fun time and not be that considered about great moral debates. Something you'd find more in an episode of He-Man than anything else.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Clearcut villains and heroes makes for sloppy writing. Grey areas make people think.Thinking is good.I just can't have any fun with something if I can't take it seriously. It gets old. Fast. To that end, I'll shed whatever and whoever's blood I have to on the altar of realism and logic.

Edited by Basilisk

You shouldn't be able to get away from it. The world is nothing but grey areas and the fact that most of our entertainment industry focuses on stories and characters who are so painfully clearcut is to blame for a lot of the problems our society is having. Many of us are ta-sorry. Started writing my college essay.

Edited by Basilisk

Thinking is good, certainly. I'm not saying it isn't. I'm just saying that having a fun romp isn't bad. Not all stories must be deep epics, not all tales must have soul-clinching morals. Sometimes you just want to have an excuse to engage in verbal banter and fight an evil wizard.

voidstars.png

That's dull. Honestly a story like that couldn't hold my attention for more then a few minutes. I'd have to edit in a deep motive and a good reason for the wizard to be acting that way just to get through it.

Mind you, when I say really evil villains I don't mean funnel Stalin and go commit genocide, I mean, just, villains. Some evil wizard in his tower plotting to take over the land or marry the princess or I don't bloody know. I'd say something you'd find in a fairy tale, but then I realized I'm thinking Disney and that the Grimm Brothers wrote some pretty dark stuff.I think what I'm trying to say is an RPG where you can have a fun time and not be that considered about great moral debates. Something you'd find more in an episode of He-Man than anything else.
Well there goes hope that certain plans for The Gunmen of Leng would satisfy everyone's desire for a little bit of B/W morality.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well, the Moonbeasts aren't so much evil as playing with a completely different set of cards...for the most part at least. I think.

Edited by Basilisk

I wasn't particularly joining the Dreamlords RPG for its villains, probably because I don't actually know anything about them. I was joining it because I can be a flippin gun slinger with a Telsa coil as a gun and fly around in giant Telsa ships with Telsa computers and Telsa radios and Telsa earthquake machines and Telsa everything.Telsa is very high on my reasons for joining, with HP Lovecraft directly below him.

voidstars.png

Well, the Moonbeasts aren't so much evil as playing with a completely different set of cards...for the most part at least. I think.
And they're kind of wanting to commit genocide in revenge for an old attempt at genocide, and the humans are doing much the same things, and the Gugs follow the rule of 'Do Unto Others Before They Do Unto You', and...The Night is pretty unambiguously evil, though. Pretty sure everybody but those affiliated with it are agreed upon its evilness. Everyone who disagrees is Ayn Rand.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

The Night is certainly evil by our morality. I'm not even going to try to understand it's morality. Not even going to try.

Mmh. And I think that, despite his nature as a darker version of the traditional trickster deity, Nyarlathotep is one of the few beings who, when told that he's evil, would shrug and then helpfully pass whoever said that a neat tome that definitely-won't-destroy-your-mind-if-you-open-it. I think he considers himself rather beyond terms like 'good' or 'evil,' though, with our interpretation of his servitude towards Azathoth, 'annoyed' might come into play.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Ah yes. Tentative Dreamlands race list.HumansDeep OnesSerpent PeopleMoonbeastGugThere will be more of course.

Edited by Basilisk

Is that just the ones that you have some sort of profile written up for? I know we've discussed rather more than that.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Those are the ones I'm planning to do first. There is a lot more but I consider these the major sentient races.(Gugs added in)

Edited by Basilisk

But sometimes, when my brain is zonkered on morals from reading watchmen, I like to get away from it and stomp the tortoise.
See, thats how I feel about hard sci-fi. I know you people like to talk about velocities and your fancy molecules, but I play RPGs for the escapism. If I wanted to read an essay on physics I'd talk to my dad about the Hadron Collider

7AOYGDJ.jpg

I'd make an RPG that channeled Freelancer, which was a space simulation game that had no such thing as newtonian physics and all sorts of absurd stuff in space, but people loved because it was just that good.However, I'm no Chris Roberts, so I don't think I could pull that off here. My story telling is subpar as far as these things go and I doubt I could bring any vastly new RPG mechanics to the table.

Edited by Void Prophet Alex Humva

voidstars.png

I believe a simple reporting and saying the RPG is ended is sufficient.I never got Strith closed down, but I think it's past the 30 days revival date so its deaaaaad.

voidstars.png

In my view, Hard Sci-fi is the only true science fiction. The rest is high fantasy pretending to be science fiction.Science fantasy if you will.

Edited by Basilisk

Honestly, I have a lot of fun with not-so-hard science fiction, but I usually acknowledge that it isn't pure sci-fi by that point, it's just me jiggling around with things, giggling a handle or two, and just generally wreaking havoc.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Yeah, okay, I think it's fair to say that you've got a wee bit of a stricter classification system than a lot of people. There's hard sci-fi, there's goofy pulp-sci-fi, there's sci-fi that just fudges a few things, and then there's science-fantasy.It's worth noting that high fantasy has some very specific requirements, so it's definitely not fair to say that 90% of all sci-fi is actually high fantasy just because you don't like high fantasy.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

The only difference between science fantasy and high fantasy is it's excuse. One uses magic and the other uses magic in the guise of science. But I don't think this is the time or the place for this discussion. If you want to argue about fiction, PM me.

So we're still working on the Vampire RPG, and it's going to happen. But...I just saw the movie Rise of the Guardians with my little sisters. It was actually pretty good. So, I was thinking. Would anyone be interested in an RPG where you got one character, who could be any holiday or childhood figure from around the world, and play as your interpretation of that?

Edited by Toast of Awesomeness

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Your love for consideration of realism is quite mighty, Basilisk.My other option was equally farfetched, but less lodged in genetic enhancement, going the route of a Monster Hunter RPG, set around the coming of the Fatalis. But I can't imagine much of a player-base for that.
I'd play a Monster Hunter RPG by FAR. I think I might even be able to convince another member who loves Monster Hunter, and rarely Role Plays to join, just because Monster Hunter. =P Of course, I'm assuming you mean the Capcom semi-RPG series. You do mean the Capcom series, correct?Not gonna comment on the moral debate, aside from saying that people need breaks from the morality of the world; and that the world isn't all grey itself. There are instances of black or white morality; it's just not quite as common as fantasy books seem to suggest; however... Does it need to be that way, really?

I always found the world to be more a case of black and grey myself. Black and white is... exceptionally rare.My advice to you, ToA, is to try not to get too sidetracked with other projects. It's one of the reasons it's taking me so long to get any new RPGs out, getting sidetracked can be pretty nasty after a while.I have a question to the denizens here; in the space RPG, how would you guys feel about a less traditional setup for unit purchasing? Basically, if you buy a spaceship, you don't just say 'I bought a spaceship for X credits.' You actually go to a spaceship supplier and haggal with them for a little while for a price. Same goes for mercs, or equipment suppliers, or what have you. I will not however haggal with you over your groceries.From my point of view, this makes things a lot more personal and a lot more dynamic. Since the time scale is so stretched out that it's doubtful people will be buying ships that often I can afford to spend the time RPing a car spaceship salesman. It means that buying stuff isn't some arbitrary price; you're going to have a price range, but some shops will sell them for more, some for less. Some with better quality, some with less quality. Makes a much more immersive experience IMO.But I'm not the end all to be all for these things, so what do you guys think?

voidstars.png