The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Which tangent, the one about black space drives or plasma drives?

Because the bulk of the BSD paragraph is actually relevant, though I could see how I could prune the plasma drive paragraph to about one sentence.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

The BSD one, actually. It's a lot of stuff that could be condensed to only what's actually important - that is, that you hop from one location to another and that it takes x amount of time to do so. Everything else in that paragraph is waffle as far as I can tell.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

So prune out the redundant "IT'S MYSTERIOUS" bits?

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Yes, absolutely. I get what you're trying to do with those bits, but it doesn't quite work.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

So I changed that amongst otherstuff.

So now that I have a more coherent draft, can I get a show of hands for the peeps who'd like to slaughter each other in space?

Also keep in mind that I'll be keeping an expanded universe post handy for more details. We're talking about an entire galaxy here, filled with billions of people and thousands of nations, so I can't very well keep all the information in the front post. There will be a post to shove information that comes up though. It's much easier to answer questions as they come and compile them than try to answer them all before they're asked.

voidstars.png

Anything in particular that stands out as needed/nice to have, or do you guys think it's ready to ship out?

voidstars.png

Yeah, that'd go under the companions bit of the profile. They're not really full fledged PCs, but they sit higher on the chart than an NPC. The difference being NPCs are notoriously easy to bump off unless logic says otherwise; employees possess an aura of the minimalistic plot armor granted to PCs.

Edited by Cybernetic Alex Humva

voidstars.png

Waaaiiiiit...... You guys actually did the SPACE RPG BEFORE FIELDS OF GOLD?

Julius Caesar, Genghis Khan and Scrooge McDuck are all rolling in their graves now.

8% of the people epically wins with comic making. If you are the 92% that fails at it, copy and paste this into your sig

100% of people here are humans. If you are somehow a matoran, pate this in your sig.

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9187

Odd selection, considering all of those were separated by about a thousand years each, but w/e.

Fields of Gold is going to take an obscene amount of time to make. It's an attempt to bring real world nation mechanics condensed into a format that won't scare off your average RPG goer. It's not exactly the easiest of tasks to do, so I'll be running TOW while I work on figuring that out.

Edited by Cybernetic Alex Humva

voidstars.png

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, SW: O has been closed. I made mistakes with it, ones that I couldn't rectify. It was too dependent on the staff to keep it going, players didn't feel like they could create their own stories. Fight battles with a staff member looking over their shoulder. This was my fault. I'm going to try to fix that with my next RPG, which I hope will be everything SW: O aspired to be.

I've got a vague setting idea worked out, but I'll see if there's any interest in the general concept first. Would any here be interested in a fantasy RPG that mixes elements of western and eastern fantasy culture?

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Fantasy? An interesting concept for such a firm advocate of realism. I'm extremely interested.

I have no problem with magic. So long as it's explained and is consistant.

My position may have been a tad extreme before. Perhaps. Maybe. There is a small chance.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

The Proelium Plot: The Proelium. A giant, mechanical flying island, which also happens to house a grand arena for fighting tournaments. Everything on the Proelium centers around the arena and the combatants inside. Every year, the island's Mayor holds a tournament in the arena to find the best fighter in the world- one worthy of being called a true champion. Many fighters gather from throughout the world to fight for the title- and two types stand out from the rest. One kind of fighter is the ideal champion- one of those who works tirelessly to win, and always follows the rules of combat. The other kind of fighter is the one who is just in it for the title- and they don't care how they get it. As the fighters clash in the arena, they will all have to struggle to get on top- so how far will you go? Rules of the Ring:

• [*]Follow the BZP Rules - This one's a no-brainer, but following the BZP Rules will ensure everyone has a good time while playing the RPG[*]Get your profile approved before playing - Post your profile Out Of Character in your first post, and wait for it to be approved by the RPG hosts before you start playing.[*]Keep it realistic - Yes, your character may be faster than normal people, but that doesn't mean they can just jump from one side of the city to the other. This also means that you can't instantly defeat your opponent in one blow, and your character won't know everything that you know.[*]No Killing off other characters - The exceptions to this rule are if another player allows it in an OOC post, or if it is your character. This rule also covers seriously injuring other characters.[*]Settle your fights - Undoubtedly, there will be a fair amount of fights between players in the arena. However, these fights can't last forever, so know when you've been beaten. Remember to be fair and reasonable, or a Referee might come in and end the fight.[*]Label your posts - Label your posts either In Character (IC) or Out Of Character (OOC), and be sure to mention which character you are using. This makes it easier to tell if your character is doing something or if you're discussing something with another player.[*]Have Fun - The success of this RPG depends on everyone enjoying it, so enjoy yourself!

Locations:The Proelium: Overworld The Fighting Arena - This is where combatants go to participate in their official matches. A large round building in the middle of the town square, the Proelium Fighting Arena is the main attraction of the Proelium. This is also where the Mayor resides. You can contact him through his secretary, who has her own desk in the lobby. The Proelium Fighting Arena also houses the regular combatant’s locker rooms and their special training arena, although this part of the Arena is sealed off to normal civilians and new challengers. The Town Square - The town Square is where shopkeepers tend to set up shop, as it is the most frequented area on the Proelium. With direct access to many great attractions such as the Proelium Fighting Arena, and the Proelium Gym the Town Square is the place to be if you own a shop of your own. The Proelium Gym - The Gym is where the rookie challengers train. Frequently visited by both trainers and Arena Challengers, this is also a great place to set up shop if the Town Square is too mainstream for you. The Living District - The living district is where most of the Proelium’s inhabitants reside. In fact, only the Mayor and regular combatants are legally allowed to live anywhere else. The Living District is a huge place, filled to the brim with skyscrapers. Libraries, and other places of knowledge are located in this district. The Proelium: Underworld The Underworld Arena - The Underworld Arena is a gigantic arena deep underneath the Proelium’s Surface with chains dangling precariously from the roof, and hundreds of lights pointed at the fighting ring. Spectators may watch the ongoing battles from the bleachers just outside the fighting ring. There are metal fences that surround the circular fighting arena, separating the spectators from the combatants. The only way to reach the Underworld Arena is to go through one of the many doors in the Town Center Station of the Dark Line Subway. The Underworld Living District - The Underworld Living District is nothing more than an abandoned passageway with some nooks and crannies carved into the wall for people to sleep in. There is a few small prototype Living District buildings that apparently didn’t make it all the way to the surface during the Proelium’s creation, but those are reserved for those who live in the Underworld and not for those who only go down there to watch the matches. The Underworld Living District is only accessible through one of the many doors in the Living District station. The Dark Line Subway - The Dark Line Subway is one of the few actually legal locations in the Proelium Underworld and provides quick transport from the Living Districts to the Town Square. There are two stations, the Living District station, and the Town Center station, and both are identical. Other than the subway trains, the only other things of note are the many doors. One of the doors in the Living District Station leads to the Underworld Living District, and the same door in the Town Center Station leads to the Underworld Arena. The rest of the doors lead to the maintenance Tunnels, and thus are off limits to civilians. Proelium Maintenance Tunnels - The Proelium Maintenance Tunnels are off limits. Nobody is allowed but certified personnel, to keep dangerous people from messing with the mechanics that keep the Proelium afloat. There are many tunnels, each separate tunnel connected to a different door in both the Living District Station and the Town Center Station. The Maintenance Tunnels are closely guarded by many guards, and are almost impossible to penetrate. Anyone that even attempts to break into the tunnels is immediately branded a terrorist, and hunted down by both the Overworld inhabitants and the Underworld inhabitants. Character Creation: When you create a new character, be sure to fill out the form below with the charater's characteristics and post it in the RPG's topic for approval.

Name: Put the character's name here.Username: This is here to make it easier for us staff to file your character. Yes, your username is just to the right. Just put it here anyways.Biography: Tell at least something about the character. Maybe include their history, or how they got to the P. This can include things like age, height, weight, etc. if you want. (Minor rule, your character must be within reasonable size limits. No characters that are too small to hit, or big enough to tank everything.)Attribute: Choose one attribute(attributes listed below) to have your character gain the benefits of that attribute. However, if you choose to give your character an attribute, you must choose another attribute, and keep the disadvantages listed.Weapon: Weapon that your character will use. Keep in mind that, as the Proelium's fights are for sport, non-lethal weapons are required. Lethal weapons will be confiscated if discovered.Occupation: What is it that your character does on the Proelium? Is he a combatant? A guard to keep civilians from getting hurt? A shopkeeper that provides items that combatants can use in battle? Whatever they do, write it here. (Please note that maintenance workers are not allowed as of now.)

Attributes:If you want your character to gain an attribute, you have to pick one benefit from the list below, and one disadvantage, and list both in your character's profile.

Upper Body Strength: Affects the strength of your character's attacks with weapons, hands, and blocking.Benefits: Increases the strength of your character's attacks with weapons, hands, and blocking.Disadvantages:Decreases the strength of your character's attacks with weapons, and hands.Lower Body Strength: Affects the power of your character's kicks and jumping.Benefits: Increases your character's jumping height, and the power of your character's kicks.Disadvantages: Decreases your character's kicking power.Agility: Affects your character's evasion and attack speed.Benefits: Increases your character's evasion and attack speed.Disadvantages:Decreases how quickly your character can evade enemy attacks.Defense: Affects how well your character absorbs attacks, affecting how easily your character can be knocked back or down, and how much attacks damage them.Benefits: Decreases how badly a character is hurt when hit head on by an foe, increases how well your character can absorb attacks, and decreases how easy it is for your character to be knocked back or down.Disadvantages: Decreases how well your character can absorb attacks, and increases how easy it is for your character to be knocked back or down.Reflex: Affects how well your character can react to and counter attacks.Benefits: Increases how well your character can reatct to and counter attacks.Disadvantages: Slightly decreases how well your character can react to and counter attacks.Vitality: Affects how long your character can go in a fight, and also how easily they can get up after being knocked down.Benefits: Increases how long your character can go in a fight before getting too tired, and how easily they can get up after being knocked down.Disadvantages: Decreases how long your character can go in a fight before getting too tired.

And that is me and Terminus24's idea for a new COTRPG. Any suggestions/ideas?

Edited by Strong Arm BioBeast

"I'll do it... If that is the choice of Stein's Gate!

I am the mad scientist, Hououin Kyouma!

Fooling the world is nothing to me!"

A bit of world building would be nice. Whats this world like outside the Proelium? Massively technologically advanced? More floating islands? Actual landmasses? Any kingdoms, empires, governments?

Is there anything for characters to do other than get into arena matches and fight each other? Is there some greater overarching plot to get involved in?

What are the rules of these fights? Just punch ups or are they gladiatorial? You say we can't have lethal weapons but is there anything stopping me using some sort of exo-suit to turn me into a human tank?

The profiles seem heavily skewed towards contestants, despite claiming to be open to merchants and guards. You can't have any lethal weapons you might expect from a guard, and the tuff about attributes doesn't really apply to civilians.

Speaking of attributes, how do those work? I pick one for my character and gets its advantages and disadvantages? But their disadvantages are just their advantages from the opposite end. I choose agility, say, and my character has an increase in their evasion, and a decrease in their evasion

7AOYGDJ.jpg

a gladiator rpg has so much potential like i have so many good ideas for one. please do this. i wouldn't necessarily worry about the outside world like adders just mentioned- like, if proleium is big enough to have like living quarters and districts and stuff it's probably good enough. like everybody has these huge like, galactic sized rpgs [which are cool, don't get me wrong] but you don't need to have that

i think the attributes work like you can boost one stat, but then you have to decrease another. like i can have stronger punches and weaker kicks. but that's just my assumption, if i'm right you should probably clarify that.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

@Lord of Adders Black

A bit of world building would be nice. Whats this world like outside the Proelium? Massively technologically advanced? More floating islands? Actual landmasses? Any kingdoms, empires, governments?

The outside world is something we hadn't thought about since the RPG takes place on the Proelium, but yeah I guess we should give information about the outside world for back-stories and stuff like that.

Is there anything for characters to do other than get into arena matches and fight each other? Is there some greater overarching plot to get involved in?

Other than running shops? As of now no, although we are working on a greater overarching plot for everybody to get involved in.

What are the rules of these fights? Just punch ups or are they gladiatorial?

The rules are simple. First, no killing. Second, kicking, punching, and using a weapon are allowed. Third, a fight ends when one side either gives up, or is unable to fight. And finally, no really tough armor allowed. Some of these rules would change from match to match (so the matches don't get boring for the watching crowd), but those are the basic rules.

You say we can't have lethal weapons but is there anything stopping me using some sort of exo-suit to turn me into a human tank?

Well first off, the people who approve your profile would stop you from using that. And second, if your character could obtain an exo-suit in-game, then he would not be able to use it in the Overworld tournaments as it would make the fights your character are in too one-sided and not fun to watch.

The profiles seem heavily skewed towards contestants, despite claiming to be open to merchants and guards. You can't have any lethal weapons you might expect from a guard, and the tuff about attributes doesn't really apply to civilians.

I will talk to Terminus about this(as he's the one who was working on the attributes) and get back to you on this one.

Speaking of attributes, how do those work? I pick one for my character and gets its advantages and disadvantages?

I suppose I was a bit unclear about this. The way it works is that you pick two attributes, and you gain the advantages from one, and the disadvantages from the other. So for example, you want your character to be agile. So you give him the agile attribute. But now you have to give him one of the disadvantages from another attribute, so you pick upper-body strength. So now your character is really fast, but has less than normal upper-body strength.

@Kanye West

i wouldn't necessarily worry about the outside world like adders just mentioned- like, if proleium is big enough to have like living quarters and districts and stuff it's probably good enough.

While we are going to add information about the outside world to the RPG, all of the RPing will take place inside/on the Proelium, mainly because (as you stated) the Proelium is pretty darn huge.

i think the attributes work like you can boost one stat, but then you have to decrease another. like i can have stronger punches and weaker kicks. but that's just my assumption, if i'm right you should probably clarify that.

Yeah, that's how it works.

"I'll do it... If that is the choice of Stein's Gate!

I am the mad scientist, Hououin Kyouma!

Fooling the world is nothing to me!"

I've been talking with Power about my RPG (he's cohosting, all I had to do was promise him my soul. Very reasonable. Considering I don't have one) we're hammering out the general way the RPG will work, the primary type of magic, for certain, is going to be blood magic. It depends on the blood of sentients for it's power. It doesn't require the loss of life, a simple cut across the hand is enough. This means, however, that the more blood that is avaliable, the more powerful the blood mage becomes. You can travel faster (flying is handy like that) with a supply of blood like that in a group. This is to encourage players to get together and write character arcs, interact, develop etc.

Also because blood magic is awesome.

Edited by Basilisk

So, my Aztec sorcerer I tried to pawn off on Pantheon would be right at home in this RPG?

voidstars.png

So, my Aztec sorcerer I tried to pawn off on Pantheon would be right at home in this RPG?

Well...

The two primary cultures are based on Rome and Japan, so maybe not.

Oh come on, other dead civilizations get some say don't they?

voidstars.png

Oh come on, other dead civilizations get some say don't they?

I've made the setting a bit smaller then the normal open world RPG. So people don't drift apart as easy.

Most of the action takes place on an island roughly the size of a US State. So yeah.

"A US State"

Very specific. =P

Foreigner, maybe?

voidstars.png

"A US State"

Very specific. =P

Foreigner, maybe?

There's a mean size for them. I'm certain.

If you can find some way to justify it. Because any Aztec expy has an ocean to cross.

I'm sure I'll figure out some way of justifying it. Just give me a month or two, I'll have an essay ready to go.

voidstars.png

Finally, I'm here! Anyways, on The Proelium:

You say we can't have lethal weapons but is there anything stopping me using some sort of exo-suit to turn me into a human tank?
Well first off, the people who approve your profile would stop you from using that. And second, if your character could obtain an exo-suit in-game, then he would not be able to use it in the Overworld tournaments as it would make the fights your character are in too one-sided and not fun to watch.
I'd say the only exception to this would be if both players were using Exo-suits, but obviously this wouldn't happen in normal matches. We tried to design the RPG to keep all players at pretty much the same level.
I will talk to Terminus about this(as he's the one who was working on the attributes) and get back to you on this one.
Yeah, I have a somewhat simplified profile thing, basically showing what stuff goes with what kinds of characters and a tiny bit of clarification:Name: Applicable to all characters. Username: Applicable to all characters. Biography: Applicable to all characters. Attribute: Applicable to combatants/guards. Choose one for strength and one for weakness. Optional for guards.Weapon: Applicable to combatants/guards. Combatants use non-lethal weapons, while guards can use any type of weapon. Use of a weapon is optional.Occupation: Applicable to all characters. Also, shopkeepers doubling as trainers would probably be allowed, they would also fit in the combatant category, but they would not participate in arena fights against combatants. And I tried to think of other things shopkeepers could do, and came up with nothing besides supplying combatants and possibly being errand-runners.

For anyone wondering, whomever you may be, the Monster Hunter RPG is still being worked on. As of right now, I'm thinking of a solid way to make a story for the thing run smoothly while still maintaining a focus on monster hunting. I have a pretty solid idea, so I'm gonna work on expanding it to fit the world being built.

~Totally like a boomerang. I always come back. Just never when you want me to.~

For anyone wondering, whomever you may be, the Monster Hunter RPG is still being worked on. As of right now, I'm thinking of a solid way to make a story for the thing run smoothly while still maintaining a focus on monster hunting. I have a pretty solid idea, so I'm gonna work on expanding it to fit the world being built.

I haven't forgotten my planned character.

Someone has to bring order to that place. Might as well be a ruthless, pragmatic fellow who stepped right out of the pages of The Prince.

I've been talking with Power about my RPG (he's cohosting, all I had to do was promise him my soul. Very reasonable. Considering I don't have one) we're hammering out the general way the RPG will work, the primary type of magic, for certain, is going to be blood magic. It depends on the blood of sentients for it's power. It doesn't require the loss of life, a simple cut across the hand is enough. This means, however, that the more blood that is avaliable, the more powerful the blood mage becomes. You can travel faster (flying is handy like that) with a supply of blood like that in a group. This is to encourage players to get together and write character arcs, interact, develop etc.

Also because blood magic is awesome.

Yess... blood magic is awesome. Looking forward to the fantasy RP now.

• 2 weeks later...

I would SOOOOO be interested man.

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

yes. About time we got another Halo RPG up.

War...war never changes.

We crawl, on our knees for you,
under, a sky no longer blue,
we sweat, all day long for you.

But we sow, seeds to see us though,
cause sometimes dreams just don't come true,
we wait, to reap what we are due.

-Rise Against, Re-Education (through Labor)