The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

I would like to see a more light-hearted take on magic myself.

But not a spiritual one. I've called dibs on that with my tribal RPG. =P

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Alright, sounds fine with me. Mad scientists. :PSo a few of my ideas for ability categories were:Acrobats: Are less affected by gravity.Fire-breathers: pyro-kinetic.Pincushions: Healing factor, bone spikes.Strongmen: Well.....Animal tamers: limited mind control I suppose.Clowns: A mild form of shape shifting maybe?Contortionists: Cartilage skeletons.Psyhics: There's several things that could fit under here, so I won't bother listing them.Magicians/Illusionists: See above.Within these categories(admittedly, some more than others) you'd have a great degree of freedom in designing the abilities of your character and how exactly they work. I just thought these would help keep the theme.

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Well, they're not entirely needed. I just wanna make sure the theme is somewhat kept. And it helps divide them better- that's why I never really liked the idea of a HP RPG. Everyone has access to the same abilities. But I suppose you're right, the players I'm sure can be trusted to keep to the theme.

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

I'm kind of wondering about the necessity of the antagonistic faction - why unite the magicians and their ilk at all? What would be much more fun would be competition between them, flavoured somewhat like Thomas Edison's business-dealings, or, well, the way one might imagine things went down between, say, P.T. Barnum and his competitors.

While it would be stupid to say that one faction fighting another is overdone - it is, after all, a very broad category - I will say that a bunch of independent agents conniving with and against one another is very much underdone.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

That's quite true as well.So. Circus and performance inspired magicians fighting one another. I like it. I was wanting to have some sort of religious organization that would zealously hunt them down, but that's just a personal preference- if no one else wants it, not a problem. :P

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

A Grey vs Gray Morality would really make this Circus Magician RPG interesting. Both Circus Troupes could be unscrupulous magicians trying to gain power and prestige with dirty, underhanded tricks but ultimately having standards in how far they would go to do so.Far more interesting than an unambiguously good side with a few anti-heroes thrown in versus the completely and irredeemably evil side that has at least one person that isn't.

Perhaps one faction is simply out to establish a new world order with a mageocracy but isn't willing to compromise their morals to achieve their entirely self-centered goal. Conversely, the other faction wants to achieve world peace and enlightenment but is willing to throw away many innocent lives for a brighter future. Just throwing my two cents in.

Edited by Nebula 2.0

-Where there is light, shadows lurk and fear reigns-

-Yet by the blade of Knights, mankind was given hope-

The origin of a magician's abilities could come from either making a pact with some supernatural creature (elementals and demons) or simply being born with those abilities. Conflict would arise between magicians of different origins due to different views on whether or not making a pact with some immensely powerful and morally ambiguous creature is a good idea. The two factions would take opposite stances on which origin is superior but ultimately take in anyone to avoid forcing players to pick a faction based on their character's origin.

Where and when does this RPG take place though and just how big is the world? I assumed that it would be between rival troupes and take place around the 1900s to 1920s in Europe. A modern setting would be a bit stranger in my opinion given the lack of traveling circuses.

Overzealous detective? I can top that. Overzealous wizard detective.

No I'm not playing as Harry Dresden this is in the 1920s.

(I still say we shouldn't have prominent factions from the word go.)

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Don't forget the about the Circus Magicians. A magical mafia would probably end up being the direct result of someone in one of the troupes screwing up terribly and giving the local thugs access to reality-warping powers.

Remember, most magicians still work as psychics and entertainers- thugs are much less common. A partial reason for this is having "the gift" doesn't make you an instant powerhouse. A gun still works great no matter who has it.Also, there will be varying degrees of magical affinity. For example, a D-level magician might be able to levitate small stones or control a rat. An A-level would be someone who could levitate automobiles or control multiple lions.

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Which is why one could most likely get by with a 'magician' who is in fact indistinguishable from real-life stage magicians - lots of sleight-of-hand and clever trickery, lots of cunning and no magic required.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Just a friendly threat.

We just got a bunch of new RPGs approved. You lot had better be there for them. With bells on.

ENJOY. ANYONE NOT HAVING FUN WILL BE BEATEN.

BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES.

:P

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

I'm of the mind that one city would be best, unless ALL the players moved at the same time. Otherwise you get what ultimately kills a lot of RPGs like this; people get stuck someplace with no interaction.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Well, New York would make certain things easier - such as, say, having a magical mafia.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom