• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

• Please log in to reply
6473 replies to this topic

#4641 Offline Lloyd: the White Wolf

Lloyd: the White Wolf
  • Members
  • Toa Metru United

• 12-September 05
  • 8,541 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 03:07 PM

Seems too vague--you just described X-Men fairly well, for one. Now, if we made the other faction science fiction instead of vaguely-defined future, I'd be interested. I'd also be interested in helping flesh out the plot.

:w:

#4642 Offline I Am Ultron Six

I Am Ultron Six
  • Members
  • Senior OTC RPG Judge

• 18-February 06
  • 14,831 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 03:09 PM

I'll be honest, I was with you until you brought up the "suspicious government hunting them down" thing. That just seems a bit....overplayed lately. To me anyway. And it jars a little with the more whimsical aspect of a bunch of old school magicians going round having fun with actual magic

I am Ultron Six, a cybernetic intelligence created by Doctor Henry Pym. My imperative is to bring peace and order to this world. I am about to fulfil that imperative; for the extinction of humanity…begins now.

the_ultron_imperative.jpg

Soon the earth will no longer be habitable for any biological organism: Man, woman, child, plant, animal, fungus or bacterium. All life will cease to exist. This is not a threat, there is nothing you can do to stop it. The process has already begun. I receive no pleasure in this, it is simply the only solution. There must be peace and order, the end of life on earth will ensure that. Goodbye.

#4643 Online Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 17-September 05
  • 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 03:09 PM

Technocracy and Mages.

Yay!

"Shall this great kingdom, that has survived, whole and entire, the Danish depredations, the Scottish inroads, and the Norman conquest; that has stood the threatened invasion of the Spanish Armada, now fall prostrate before the House of Bourbon? Surely, my Lords, this nation is no longer what it was! Shall a people, that seventeen years ago was the terror of the world, now stoop so low as to tell its ancient inveterate enemy, take all we have, only give us peace? It is impossible! ...My Lords, any state is better than despair. Let us at least make one effort; and if we must fall, let us fall like men!"

-William Pitt the Elder, before suffering a fatal stroke on the floor of the House of Lords.

#4644 Offline Lloyd: the White Wolf

• Members
  • Toa Metru United

• 12-September 05
  • 8,541 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 03:11 PM

@ Power: It's really all in how it's done, isn't it?

#4645 Offline Engineer Alexandra Humva

Engineer Alexandra Humva
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 07-June 07
  • 2,681 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 03:12 PM

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]I would like to see a more light-hearted take on magic myself.[/font]

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]But not a spiritual one. I've called dibs on that with my tribal RPG. =P[/font]

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

#4646 Offline Toast of Awesomeness

Toast of Awesomeness
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 02-February 07
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 03:13 PM

Well my government idea was really going to he centered more towards the one-World faith thing- Everyone hating the "gifted" for religious reasons. So what would you suggest for an antagonistic party?

Well, would you just look at that?

Posted Image

I'm a piece of toast.

#4647 Offline Lloyd: the White Wolf

• Members
  • Toa Metru United

• 12-September 05
  • 8,541 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 03:17 PM

I don't like the idea of a one-world faith, because it just seems so unlikely that it would ever happen. I can certainly see people freaking out because suddenly magic is real and it's a very powerful, very present Other. It's more universal and more realistic.

#4648 Offline I Am Ultron Six

I Am Ultron Six
  • Members
  • Senior OTC RPG Judge

• 18-February 06
  • 14,831 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 03:17 PM

Mad scientists? If we're going with Copperfield-esque tropes for the good guys lets go with Tesla tropes for the others

I am Ultron Six, a cybernetic intelligence created by Doctor Henry Pym. My imperative is to bring peace and order to this world. I am about to fulfil that imperative; for the extinction of humanity…begins now.

Soon the earth will no longer be habitable for any biological organism: Man, woman, child, plant, animal, fungus or bacterium. All life will cease to exist. This is not a threat, there is nothing you can do to stop it. The process has already begun. I receive no pleasure in this, it is simply the only solution. There must be peace and order, the end of life on earth will ensure that. Goodbye.

#4649 Offline Lloyd: the White Wolf

• Members
  • Toa Metru United

• 12-September 05
  • 8,541 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 03:21 PM

Suddenly my enthusiasm has dulled. I much prefer something like Wh13. Also, magic guys aren't necessarily good.

Edited by Lloyd: the White Wolf, Mar 17 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#4650 Offline Toast of Awesomeness

Toast of Awesomeness
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 02-February 07
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 03:22 PM

Alright, sounds fine with me. Mad scientists. :PSo a few of my ideas for ability categories were:Acrobats: Are less affected by gravity.Fire-breathers: pyro-kinetic.Pincushions: Healing factor, bone spikes.Strongmen: Well.....Animal tamers: limited mind control I suppose.Clowns: A mild form of shape shifting maybe?Contortionists: Cartilage skeletons.Psyhics: There's several things that could fit under here, so I won't bother listing them.Magicians/Illusionists: See above.Within these categories(admittedly, some more than others) you'd have a great degree of freedom in designing the abilities of your character and how exactly they work. I just thought these would help keep the theme.

Posted Image

I'm a piece of toast.

#4651 Offline I Am Ultron Six

I Am Ultron Six
  • Members
  • Senior OTC RPG Judge

• 18-February 06
  • 14,831 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 03:24 PM

Why bother with the categories? It just makes it look like you're designing specific mutant powers and we have the X-Men RPG for that

#4652 Offline Toast of Awesomeness

Toast of Awesomeness
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 02-February 07
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 03:27 PM

Well, they're not entirely needed. I just wanna make sure the theme is somewhat kept. And it helps divide them better- that's why I never really liked the idea of a HP RPG. Everyone has access to the same abilities. But I suppose you're right, the players I'm sure can be trusted to keep to the theme.

Posted Image

I'm a piece of toast.

#4653 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 26-October 11
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 07:50 PM

I'm kind of wondering about the necessity of the antagonistic faction - why unite the magicians and their ilk at all? What would be much more fun would be competition between them, flavoured somewhat like Thomas Edison's business-dealings, or, well, the way one might imagine things went down between, say, P.T. Barnum and his competitors.

While it would be stupid to say that one faction fighting another is overdone - it is, after all, a very broad category - I will say that a bunch of independent agents conniving with and against one another is very much underdone.

Gentlemen, fooling you once with this trick was an honor. Twice was a privilege. It's been a pleasure.

I am most definitely a mad man with a blog.

#4654 Offline Toast of Awesomeness

Toast of Awesomeness
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 02-February 07
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 08:16 PM

That's quite true as well.So. Circus and performance inspired magicians fighting one another. I like it. I was wanting to have some sort of religious organization that would zealously hunt them down, but that's just a personal preference- if no one else wants it, not a problem. :P

Posted Image

I'm a piece of toast.

#4655 Offline Axilus Prime

Axilus Prime
  • Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 02-March 10
  • 5,023 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 10:18 PM

Sounds like X-Men.

Also, Page 117! I hope I'm not the only one who understands the "significance" of that.

#4656 Offline -Golden Knight-

-Golden Knight-
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 16-December 07
  • 1,350 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 10:32 PM

A Grey vs Gray Morality would really make this Circus Magician RPG interesting. Both Circus Troupes could be unscrupulous magicians trying to gain power and prestige with dirty, underhanded tricks but ultimately having standards in how far they would go to do so.Far more interesting than an unambiguously good side with a few anti-heroes thrown in versus the completely and irredeemably evil side that has at least one person that isn't.

Perhaps one faction is simply out to establish a new world order with a mageocracy but isn't willing to compromise their morals to achieve their entirely self-centered goal. Conversely, the other faction wants to achieve world peace and enlightenment but is willing to throw away many innocent lives for a brighter future. Just throwing my two cents in.

Edited by Nebula 2.0, Mar 17 2013 - 10:43 PM.

-Where there is light, shadows lurk and fear reigns-

-Yet by the blade of Knights, mankind was given hope-

#4657 Offline Zulu Yankee Kilo Echo

Zulu Yankee Kilo Echo
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 02-December 07
  • 1,101 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 10:32 PM

@Axilus I do now, thanks to Google. :P

So, yeah, this magician RPG sounds like a fun idea. However, if I may ask, how would the distribution of powers work? Would it be like Harry Potter, where a select few are just born gifted, or would the abilities stem from a curse or some such thing?

67tlbk.png

#4658 Offline Toast of Awesomeness

Toast of Awesomeness
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 02-February 07
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 17 2013 - 11:13 PM

I want to leave the origin of the abilities up to the players, within reason, but most will be innate abilities from birth.Nebula, I love those faction ideas.

Posted Image

I'm a piece of toast.

#4659 Offline -Golden Knight-

-Golden Knight-
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 16-December 07
  • 1,350 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 04:10 PM

The origin of a magician's abilities could come from either making a pact with some supernatural creature (elementals and demons) or simply being born with those abilities. Conflict would arise between magicians of different origins due to different views on whether or not making a pact with some immensely powerful and morally ambiguous creature is a good idea. The two factions would take opposite stances on which origin is superior but ultimately take in anyone to avoid forcing players to pick a faction based on their character's origin.

Where and when does this RPG take place though and just how big is the world? I assumed that it would be between rival troupes and take place around the 1900s to 1920s in Europe. A modern setting would be a bit stranger in my opinion given the lack of traveling circuses.

#4660 Offline Toast of Awesomeness

Toast of Awesomeness
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 02-February 07
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 07:17 PM

I was thinking in the U.S., but Europe's a but underdone, and you're right on on the time.

Posted Image

I'm a piece of toast.

#4661 Online Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 17-September 05
  • 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 07:18 PM

1920's?

I am so playing an overzealous detective.

Don't try to stop me.

"Shall this great kingdom, that has survived, whole and entire, the Danish depredations, the Scottish inroads, and the Norman conquest; that has stood the threatened invasion of the Spanish Armada, now fall prostrate before the House of Bourbon? Surely, my Lords, this nation is no longer what it was! Shall a people, that seventeen years ago was the terror of the world, now stoop so low as to tell its ancient inveterate enemy, take all we have, only give us peace? It is impossible! ...My Lords, any state is better than despair. Let us at least make one effort; and if we must fall, let us fall like men!"

-William Pitt the Elder, before suffering a fatal stroke on the floor of the House of Lords.

#4662 Offline Purple Devil

Purple Devil
  • Members
  • FFM The Order Winner

• 23-January 11
  • 3,593 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 07:31 PM

1920's?

We so need a Mafia.

ZWGZBEW.jpg

~I will either find a way, or make one.~

#4663 Offline Toast of Awesomeness

Toast of Awesomeness
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 02-February 07
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 07:51 PM

Yay, more interest! :DSo would anyone like to help me plan this out? :P

Edited by Toast of Awesomeness, Mar 18 2013 - 07:56 PM.

Posted Image

I'm a piece of toast.

#4664 Offline Purple Devil

Purple Devil
  • Members
  • FFM The Order Winner

• 23-January 11
  • 3,593 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 08:03 PM

I'd be willing too, just shoot me a PM sometime.

ZWGZBEW.jpg

#4665 Online Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 17-September 05
  • 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 08:13 PM

1920's?

We so need a Mafia.

I fought the law and the law won....

#4666 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 26-October 11
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 09:52 PM

Overzealous detective? I can top that. Overzealous wizard detective.

No I'm not playing as Harry Dresden this is in the 1920s.

(I still say we shouldn't have prominent factions from the word go.)

Gentlemen, fooling you once with this trick was an honor. Twice was a privilege. It's been a pleasure.

#4667 Online Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 17-September 05
  • 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 10:01 PM

This is going to be awesome. 

Law enforcement officers with varying degrees of sanity....magic...

#4668 Offline Zulu Yankee Kilo Echo

Zulu Yankee Kilo Echo
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 02-December 07
  • 1,101 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 10:09 PM

Of course we need a mafia.

magical mafia.

67tlbk.png

#4669 Offline -Golden Knight-

-Golden Knight-
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 16-December 07
  • 1,350 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 10:21 PM

Don't forget the about the Circus Magicians. A magical mafia would probably end up being the direct result of someone in one of the troupes screwing up terribly and giving the local thugs access to reality-warping powers.

#4670 Offline Toast of Awesomeness

Toast of Awesomeness
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 02-February 07
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 10:37 PM

Remember, most magicians still work as psychics and entertainers- thugs are much less common. A partial reason for this is having "the gift" doesn't make you an instant powerhouse. A gun still works great no matter who has it.Also, there will be varying degrees of magical affinity. For example, a D-level magician might be able to levitate small stones or control a rat. An A-level would be someone who could levitate automobiles or control multiple lions.

Posted Image

I'm a piece of toast.

#4671 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 26-October 11
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 10:40 PM

Which is why one could most likely get by with a 'magician' who is in fact indistinguishable from real-life stage magicians - lots of sleight-of-hand and clever trickery, lots of cunning and no magic required.

#4672 Offline Toast of Awesomeness

Toast of Awesomeness
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 02-February 07
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 10:48 PM

I was considering playing one of those- they'd be rare, but it could be quite a fun character to play with.

Posted Image

I'm a piece of toast.

#4673 Online Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 17-September 05
  • 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 18 2013 - 10:58 PM

Just a friendly threat.

We just got a bunch of new RPGs approved. You lot had better be there for them. With bells on.

ENJOY. ANYONE NOT HAVING FUN WILL BE BEATEN.

BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES.

:P

Edited by Basilisk, Mar 18 2013 - 11:01 PM.

#4674 Offline Toast of Awesomeness

Toast of Awesomeness
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 02-February 07
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 19 2013 - 07:27 PM

For the 1920s Magic RPG, would a location in Paris, London, or New York be preferred?

Posted Image

I'm a piece of toast.

#4675 Offline Purple Devil

Purple Devil
  • Members
  • FFM The Order Winner

• 23-January 11
  • 3,593 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 19 2013 - 07:51 PM

Why not all 3, these were traveling circuses after all.

ZWGZBEW.jpg

#4676 Offline Toast of Awesomeness

Toast of Awesomeness
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 02-February 07
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 19 2013 - 07:57 PM

That's true, but I figured a central location would be easier. Eh. :P

Posted Image

I'm a piece of toast.

#4677 Offline -Golden Knight-

-Golden Knight-
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 16-December 07
  • 1,350 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 19 2013 - 08:43 PM

Agreed, we should have those three as locations. We could fit the World's Fair in.

#4678 Offline Engineer Alexandra Humva

Engineer Alexandra Humva
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 07-June 07
  • 2,681 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 19 2013 - 09:19 PM

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]I'm of the mind that one city would be best, unless ALL the players moved at the same time. Otherwise you get what ultimately kills a lot of RPGs like this; people get stuck someplace with no interaction.[/font]

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

#4679 Offline -Golden Knight-

-Golden Knight-
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 16-December 07
  • 1,350 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 19 2013 - 09:28 PM

Since most players will end up in a circus troupe or following one they'll probably all move at the same time to the same location.

#4680 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 26-October 11
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted Mar 19 2013 - 09:34 PM

Well, New York would make certain things easier - such as, say, having a magical mafia.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users