The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Well, I mean, you can be plenty flashy on a budget. Say I was an explosive magician. The energy in one gram of TNT is standardized as one large Calorie. One gram of TNT can be plenty flashy, and really it depends on what the upper limits of a D magician is. If I can transmute the Calorie energy in a soda bottle directly into heat and light, I can make one **** of a bang.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Hey ya'll, I edited some important bits like an intro and a profile into the draft I have going on the page 118. Thoughts are appreciated. =P

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Guess who's back.

Back again.

I've started working on a RTSRPG, similar in setting to Starscape, but with larger scope and softer sci-fi, and a much more developed system for tracking Industry than even SK had. Is anyone interested in playing another Space set RTSRPG? I'm putting a lot more effort into the system than before.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Just some hooks I'd like to throw out.

Four different types of FTL drive.

A Race-Building system which currently allows for over two hundred different combinations of unique traits.

Ancient relics from fallen empires of eons past, possibly including an entire Ringworld.

I'm taking very heavy inspiration from Larry Niven's "Known Space" series.

Edited by Grapple Wizard

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

You had me at Space RTS.

I've got ten different race ideas currently. Rover is going to be releasing his for years it seems like. So I gotta use some of them. :P

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

We can always use more refining and adding to the Industrial Points system. I would offer some of the mechanics for Fields of Gold, but 1200 AD industry doesn't translate well to futuristic soft sci-fi.

I call dibs on the sapient cuttlefish.

voidstars.png

For industry, it's being split into two Resources, Money and CHON

Money is produced by civilized areas and industrial sites, CHON is produced by Gas Mines, Water Electrolysis, and the like.

-Rover

Hmm. The four fundamental organic compounds as a resource. Consider me intrigued.

voidstars.png

Guess who's back.

Back again.

I've started working on a RTSRPG, similar in setting to Starscape, but with larger scope and softer sci-fi, and a much more developed system for tracking Industry than even SK had. Is anyone interested in playing another Space set RTSRPG? I'm putting a lot more effort into the system than before.

Depends how hard the sci-fi will be. I've never been particularly interested in trying to write a physics lecture every time I try to come up with some new technology and your comparison to Larry Niven has me looking nervously for the exits because it probably won't be my cup of tea

7AOYGDJ.jpg

The sci-fi is actually surprisingly soft. Artificial gravity is available at the start of the game(though you have to spend Build Points on it) and we have no less than four types of FTL travel to choose from. The game is soft enough that, if you have a really cool idea, I might just be okay with throwing physics out the window and letting you have it.

For those interested, I'm working on a Build Point system for designing your races. Take a look!

-Rover

So, from what I'm reading, it's actually possible to not start with FTL?

...Hmm. This will be interesting.

voidstars.png

Precisely. Also, just for you I added the "Fleetborn" trait, if you want to play an Exodus fleet from beyond the map.

-Rover

Alex, I feel the whole spirits section was too convoluted, and I never really saw anything about how it directly impacts gameplay.

It needs some polishing yeah, but... never saw anything about how it directly impacts gameplay? I... I really don't know what to say or how to respond. It basically effects every single aspect of gameplay in the game in massive ways. xD

voidstars.png

I'll do cuttlefish or the Natsirt Exodus Fleet.

The last remaining warriors of a race destroyed by genocide. This should be fun.

voidstars.png

I do like the sound of space RTS, and soft sci-fi? even better.

After reading the document, I have one question. Do we get six points for each part, or overall?

War...war never changes.

We crawl, on our knees for you,
under, a sky no longer blue,
we sweat, all day long for you.

But we sow, seeds to see us though,
cause sometimes dreams just don't come true,
we wait, to reap what we are due.

-Rise Against, Re-Education (through Labor)

Overall.

I was kind of unsure about whether to run this. Given all the awesome reception, now I'm committed.

If anyone's interested in playing Cartographer, I could use one. It doesn't need to be 3-D, because this will be set in a fairly flat area of space.

Edited by Xomeron

-Rover

Not allowed at first. I want to keep this to one species per player,

-Rover

If you're worried about those, you take the Perfect Dictatorship option. If you want to play them, go on ahead. But they're not really an issue. Spaceships are so expensive and well guarded that it's essentially impossible to get your hands on a spaceship.

-Rover

Of course you did.

Espionage Agencies will be almost useless against Perfect Dictatorships, because those states control the entire economy, population, media, and everything else. Even against most other races, the option to simply restrict aliens to certain areas will make espionage difficult.

-Rover

Kind of makes it hard to be diplomatic though.

-Rover

Kind of makes it hard to be diplomatic though.

"Come near our space and you eat plasma."

"....I...."

"This station is the only acceptable meeting point."

"But..."

"Plasma."

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

What, pray tell, happens if we happen to only use up five of our six points? I've got AI, Hyperdrive, Colonised Asteroid Belt, and Technolepathy. No other single-point skills seem particularly well-suited to the race I have planned.

Side-note: thank you for noting at the beginning that it's softer sci-fi.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I'm just about to add an option for a Space Elevator on the Homeworld, for one point. Does that appeal to you?

This is an open-ended system. Feel free to suggest stuff.

If not, well, you could just not spend it. Wouldn't get any refund on it though.

Edited by Xomeron

-Rover

I'm going to have to think about whether these chaps would want a space elevator.

Hmm... Could I go halfway on transhumanism, so they aren't actually in cyberspace, but they're basically masters of prosthetics?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I don't see why not. Are you talking full on body swapping, like in Avatar?

-Rover

Certainly swapping minds into the bodies of other organics would not be a common practice for them. I was thinking primarily of using mechanical/computer enhancements to either replace or upgrade existing parts. Your choice as to whether copying a mind onto a computer is beyond them at this point.

(Even if it were possible, they wouldn't entirely give up their physical forms for such a thing. More of something for very clever people to do when death is otherwise unavoidable.)

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I think that Brain Uploading would be one of the ways to do the AI advancement. As for cybernetic enhancements, pretty much everyone has the tech to build those.

-Rover

Engineered For War is replacing all your soldiers with a new, more warlike form. If you're talking about doing that for your entire military(or just all your infantry) then yes, Engineered For War is that.

Everyone has the option to make cybernetic limbs in small amounts, enough for injured veterans and the like.

-Rover