The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

It was a wonderful game and any effort to bring something like it to the table has the blessings of the Great God Yig.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Reality was the height of BZP's RPGing culture. Plain and simple. The ultimate sandbox RPG.

It's true, however, that magic ran rampant in that game, and bringing it down to a more manageable level is a great idea. Perhaps, in addition to the "each world has its own magic" sort of thing, perhaps a Once Upon a Time-esque "All magic comes with a price" rule would spice things up a bit?

Either way, I'd be interested in seeing this unfold, if only from a viewer's perspective.

~ Rumpelstiltskin

So this RPG would let you play as a character from any setting? That actually... sounds pretty cool. Cool enough to call me over here.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

Reality is a legend for a reason. When it worked...it really really worked.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

reality was from a different time, though. the community was bigger. there are like, three modern rpgs that compare to the old ones in size and as it is tstw is one of the old ones. i guess what i'm saying is it might not be as magical this time around just because there aren't as many people.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Has it occurred to anyone that the RPG scene will never be great again if you let apathy and naysaying rule the day?

Problems don't magically go away. You have to fix them.

Culture comes and goes. Reality may have been from the forum's Golden Age, but perhaps it is high time for a Renaissance.We have players, and we have more fresh blood around here than we have in quite a while. It could be done.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

The most vital resource this forum has is players. The more we bring in, the better we do. Without new players we're all just a bunch of people talking to each other about how great things were.

Has it occurred to anyone that the RPG scene will never be great again if you let apathy and naysaying rule the day?

Problems don't magically go away. You have to fix them.

Robo remade Reality three times! What makes you so sure you can reboot it if he, the creator, couldn't? He had one thing that you don't, good a good situation.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Because this isn't exactly a reboot.

Because we're all pretty competent and because we ask how we can do something. Rather then list all the reasons it might not work.

Take a look at Rome. It shouldn't have succeeded. Surrounded by hostile city-states, constantly at war with it's neighbors, having a feud with a much more powerful neighbor with a fondness for war elephants and yet....

It's easy to say something can't be done. Frankly, no one's asking you to join.

Edited by Basilisk

And you have no evidence other then your own doomsaying to support this.

It's a bit like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Edited by Basilisk

The fact of the matter is an RPG cannot be as large as the old RPGs of the past because of a lower fanbase on a site dedicated to a dead toyline vs. a living one. However, dismissing an idea simply because it might not work is fallacy. The worst case scenario is nothing happens; the best case, something good.

The idea is sound, and was suggested by a person who's done some pretty good RPGs from what I've seen. So I see no reason for it to fail.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

dude i have tons of it! few players, uninspired community, and that the last reboots sucked too. idk idc either im just putting it out there

Then why are you even talking about it?

dude i have tons of it! few players, uninspired community, and that the last reboots sucked too. idk idc either im just putting it out there

I am moved beyond words by your logic. First of all, it isn't a reboot. It's an idea in the same vein. Second, there are players, and the community is far from uninspired.Third, if you don't know or care, why are you bothering? :P

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

I think R'as might be concerned that the OTC forum only can sustainably support a few RPGs. Which universes (if any) would be excluded from a Reality-lite?

Then we bring more players. Where there is a will, there is a way. Somehow.

BZP shouldn't have lasted after Bionicle ended. It did. Maybe it's not a golden age, but it's still an age. The halls of the forum aren't empty and forlorn. The torches still burn. The buildings still stand.

Perhaps this attempt it doomed to failure, like so many before it. Perhaps not. We won't know if we don't try.

I think R'as might be concerned that the OTC forum only can sustainably support a few RPGs. Which universes (if any) would be excluded from a Reality-lite?

Then we bring more players. Where there is a will, there is a way. Somehow.

BZP shouldn't have lasted after Bionicle ended. It did. Maybe it's not a golden age, but it's still an age. The halls of the forum aren't empty and forlorn. The torches still burn. The buildings still stand.

Perhaps this attempt it doomed to failure, like so many before it. Perhaps not. We won't know if we don't try.

Not gonna disagree with your stirring speech (because there really isn't much that can be agreed or disagreed with here). Just summarizing what I'm interpreting as R'as' concern. Personally, if a good Reality RPG will help fill an empty niche, I think it could be great fun.

STAR WARS GALAXY AT WAR

E2F89AB957A1479880B245CBBECF5036.jpg

... we have cookies

Really, I'd compare the state of BZP to the Imperial Remnant. We're not as strong as we once were....but who knows, maybe Thrawn is still out there...

/Nerd.

I think it could be just what this forum needs.

Reality Mark W/e has my blessing purely on the premise and the fact that it's high time this forum gets a trophy RPG.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

just on all the stories of Reality i've heard from some of the members that have been around longer then me, and the idea itself, I would sign up for sure. this sounds like a real good time, and there is no success without failure.

War...war never changes.

We crawl, on our knees for you,
under, a sky no longer blue,
we sweat, all day long for you.

But we sow, seeds to see us though,
cause sometimes dreams just don't come true,
we wait, to reap what we are due.

-Rise Against, Re-Education (through Labor)

I remember Reality. I had a lot of fun back then, though as I recall I really only made an impact in one story arc. I think I also tried both remakes but wasn't in them for very long. I have occasionally bounced around a few ideas for what I might do in a Reality-type setting and perhaps some of them can be used here.

I'd be willing to consider joining a Reality-type RPG, not that anyone is likely to want my opinion.

From what I'm hearing something like Reality would be fun.

I'd try to keep in it.

"Boss! Da needle is pointin' in da red! Dat ain't good!"
"Course it's good ya squealin' runt! Red goes fastah!"

Orks... Such wonderfully simple creatures.

Okay, well, Basilisk just sent me a PM saying that his hard drive crashed with all his files related to his Cthulhu Mythos RPG on it. Since he wasn't sure if he'd be able to recover the files he gave me his blessing to start putting together my own RPG, at least until such a time when and if his files are recovered.

Now it's been a while since I've done this, so let's start off simple:

I suppose the greatest challenge in regards to an RPG of this nature would be to come up with something that is true to the themes of Lovecraft's work, but also manages to put a new twist on it while making it accessible to younger players. Given this is a Bionicle fansite I don't think it would be too far-fetched to assume a large portion of my audience would be a lot younger and not as familiar with Lovecraft as I am, and that a large portion of the ones that are might not know much more than "Cthulhu is a great big monster with tentacles". I also figure that most players aren't likely to be familiar with the customs of early 20th century New England (which is where the majority of Lovecraft's stories are set), so it may be easier to update the setting to the present day which people may have an easier time writing. I'm not quite sure what to do about location, though.

Yeah, if you're expecting 100% historical accuracy you're probably going to be a bit put out if you set it where (most of) the rest of the mythos is set.

A bonus to giving it a modern setting is that it might also up the terror factor. After all now we have modern weaponry to be useless, camera phones to not work properly, wireless communications for the more devious Old Ones to manipulate...

7AOYGDJ.jpg

That's very true. I could probably come up with something using a 1920's backdrop but as a writer I've always been told "Write what you know". I figure most players would have an easier time drawing on the present day.

The real challenge is coming up with some kind of story. I'd like to make this compelling but I'm sure you can understand if I'm reluctant to bring out Cthulhu in the very first post (and technically speaking Cthulhu himself is pretty much as insignificant as mankind- he's pretty cute and cuddly compared to the likes of Azathoth and Yog-Sothoth). Maybe we can start with some of the lesser monsters of the mythos and work our way up. These would be creatures like say, Deep Ones, Ghouls, Mi-Go, Elder-Things, and the Great Race of Yith.

Granted, those last two may be difficult, since the Elder-Things were apparently driven to extinction by 1931 (the last surviving ones being the "specimens" found in At the Mountains of Madness)- at least on Earth (in The Dreams of the Witch-House the main character visits an unidentified planet apparently inhabited by them, and he does manage to bring proof that he was there); while the Great Race of Yith is based in prehistoric Earth.

Soooo.... What happened to the Medieval RTSRPG?

What are you referring to? There hasn't been an idea for one here for a while.

Fields of Gold. (AKA the one Humva planned)

8% of the people epically wins with comic making. If you are the 92% that fails at it, copy and paste this into your sig

100% of people here are humans. If you are somehow a matoran, pate this in your sig.

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9187

Fields of Gold is very much WIP, and very much still planned. I've just been quiet because I'd like to get it really nailed down before posting it here.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

The other alternative with a Lovecraft RPG is to take the clock back. Way back. To Valusia, Lemuria....