The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

One reason I like the mist barrier is because most people's heads don't start doing their best to explode when faced with it. Its just a big poofy wall, not much confusing about that.

And now I want to make a world that is a Current Era where people are in the middle of trying to figure out if psychics exist.

Edited by Silvan Haven

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Right. I...understand it now. It's planet, in the same sense a quilt is a blanket. Patchwork.

Won't stop me from summoning up Yig and ushering in the age of the Serpent but hey.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Brilliant; I think your system of magic works pretty well, given those guidelines. It's actually quite similar to the system I was considering for the fantasy series I've been meaning to attempt writing. In the vein of keeping it from being too overpowered, though, should we consider the Three Laws of Disney Magic valid? No killing curses, love spells, or resurrection*?

*These laws are quite loose, actually. You can kill someone with an exploding magical fireball, just not snap your fingers and he's dead. You can slip someone a love potion and they're hypnotically adoring you - until you stop giving them the potion and they snap out of it. You can't put a living, breathing spirit back into a body, but you can animate the body and let it wreak zombie/wraith havoc on your enemies. Call them laws restricting the easy paths in favor of more creative ones, if you will. ;)

~ Rumpelstiltskin

Well, killing curses as such are automatically outlawed by virtue of the fact that they'd be an autohit. Actually, many of the more abseable portions of magic are outlawed with that alone. I don't really have an issue with love spells (Should for some reason someone try to use one) as long as they don't violate said rule.

And resurrection... I won't outright ban it, simply because the cost of actually bringing someone back from the dead would be so hard to actually gather the power for that it more or less bans itself. :P

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Well, killing curses as such are automatically outlawed by virtue of the fact that they'd be an autohit.

Tell that to Lord Voldemort. He threw that spell at Harry more times than I can count, and, when his aim simply wasn't terrible, the spell kept rebounding or causing all kinds of hijinks. Quite amusing, actually. He could have won pretty early on if he hadn't been so attached to that one stupid, worthless spell. :P

But on the subject at hand, definitely sounds like this is going to be an awesome game.

~ Rumpelstiltskin

The magic system is largely up to you. I didn't want to come up with something constrictive, so it is largely open ended. As long as the system isn't overpowered or too abuse-able, and there are reasonable drawbacks to larger powers, it'll be fine.

I was thinking it would work like Equivelent Exchange.

Edited by The Lonesome Wanderer

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

Well, like I said, no two characters have to use the exact same magic system. As long as they work and aren't overpowered or abseable, we're good. Basically, it'll be approved on a case-by-case basis. And of course, if people wanted to use the same magic system as someone else and the original creator had no objections, that'd be fine.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Friendly advice for the Lovecraft RPGs in general:

*Avoid small, isolated towns at all costs.

*Make sure to look through the archives of the local university. If you see one mention of anything odd, be it a strange rock from space, a series of brutal murders commited with a weapon science was at a loss to identify or simply genetic abnormalities....calmly get back into your car and FLOOR IT.

*If the shanty-town outside the town reports children being kidnapped and dragged into a swamp, alert the local police chief. Then calmly walk back to your car and FLOOR IT. He could be working with the cult. Best to leave the area.

*Visit the local library or college. If you see one mention of something called the Necronomicon, calmly get back into your car and FLOOR IT.

*Avoid strange graveyards and monuments.

*Don't go by the riverside.

*Unless you happen to be the captain of a battleship, avoid Innsmouth. If you are in command of a battleship, wipe that town off the face of the map and dynamite Devil's Reef. Note this still won't solve the problem utterly. Y'ha-nthlei" is deeper then you know.

*Don't graverob. It won't end well. If you must rob graves, avoid the bodies with amulets, watches and the like on them.

*If the mild-mannered intellectual is holding meetings in his home with strange folk and some locals have been vanishing, file a report with the sheriff's department and then, you guessed it, get back into your car and FLOOR IT.

*If you have any doubts at all, get back into your car and FLOOR IT.

*If you are unable to flee, then at the very least procure some type of acid. It worked well enough on the giant vampire.

*If you have to choose between sleeping in a strange temple or braving the jungle.....just take your chances with the jungle. At least tigers will just eat you.

*Strange noises? Strange shapes? RUN.

*Really, unless you happen to have a couple of tanks and fighter jets in your back pocket, RUN.

That kind of advice would be helpful for a typical Lovecraft protagonist, but I don't know how useful it would be in the context of the RPG as we currently have it. For one thing the whole "airplane survival" thing and the fact that we're supposedly in El Dorado would mean the odds of reaching Innsmouth are incredibly slim, as are the odds of finding any universities, letalone ones that have a copy of the Necronomicon. I don't think calling the police will be that simple either.

You know what, given the fact that the plot heavily invovles time travel, races like the Saiyans could be made playable if specified they were from the past, sucked in through a disruption in time. Though I would most likely make them a reward in such a situation.

That has potential. Humans with saiyan traits will do until then.

You know what, given the fact that the plot heavily invovles time travel, races like the Saiyans could be made playable if specified they were from the past, sucked in through a disruption in time. Though I would most likely make them a reward in such a situation.

That has potential. Humans with saiyan traits will do until then.

I'm sorry, but that's really the best I can do to involve Saiyans as a playable race.

Also, what do you guys think of having Androids or Frieza's race as a reward race as well? If people want that, I can do it, it's just that I'd have to come up with a good reason for why they would be involved.

I also need a good name for the RPG. The problem is that it needs to signify time travel...

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

"The Wibbly Wobbely, Timey Wimey adventures of Goku!"

:P

Uh, no.

If anyone else doesn't hate Dragon Ball with the rage of a thousand suns, could you guys please help me?

Edited by JiMing

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

Say, does anyone have a good name for a U.S. Town with lots of secrets? All I need is the name and I will be done with the first draft of the Persona RPG.

Oh that's easy; Innsmouth. It's located on the New England coast and has lots of dark secrets related to its inhabitants.

I mean, in my experience we're all sensible, friendly individuals who enjoy our privacy, freedom, and the outdoors. Where Stephen King and H.P. Lovecraft came up with all this hullabaloo is beyond me. :P

~ Rumpelstiltskin

Cause Salem & a lot of other wierd stuff.

Anyways, If the Persona RPG is in Innsmouth, then I will be including a Persona of Yig and Naylarhotep. Mainly because they were already in Persona 3, but still.

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

If you really want a town with lots of secrets, give it a perfectly innocuous sounding name. Something people would pay basically no attention to.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Why does everything weird have to be in New England?

I mean, in my experience we're all sensible, friendly individuals who enjoy our privacy, freedom, and the outdoors. Where Stephen King and H.P. Lovecraft came up with all this hullabaloo is beyond me. :P

~ Rumpelstiltskin

I think it has to do with the old saying "Write what you know"; a piece of advice I have frequently heard as a writer. Lovecraft grew up in the town of Providence, New England, and drew a great deal of inspiration from that environment in his stories. Stephen King obviously wrote stories in Maine for the same reason; since he grew up there and understood the environment enough to be able to write it convincingly. It's hardly anything unusual; I've heard Ramsey Campbell wrote several Cthulhu Mythos stories set in England and I've written a piece set in present-day rural Canada.

Cause Salem & a lot of other wierd stuff.

Meh, anyone who looked at you cross-eyed in the 1600s was a witch. If they were naturally cross-eyed, that was just even more proof. :rolleyes: Apart from a couple cryptids like Sasquatch and Champ, I can't think of anything really too weird that someone clearly didn't make up.

Now that you mention Salem, I've always thought that was a great time-period for a story setting; I suspect that, given the nature of the trials themselves (religion and whatnot), that it would be off-limits for an RPG, but it's still interesting.

...Actually, in that same vein, have we ever had a Harry Potter RPG? And if so, an RPG that's set in the Harry Potter world at large? It's pretty well established that there are other schools of magic around the world (Salem Witches Academy, for example) . A wizarding RPG set outside of England and exploring magical cultures from other locales sounds like a pretty cool idea.

I think it has to do with the old saying "Write what you know"; a piece of advice I have frequently heard as a writer. Lovecraft grew up in the town of Providence, New England, and drew a great deal of inspiration from that environment in his stories. Stephen King obviously wrote stories in Maine for the same reason; since he grew up there and understood the environment enough to be able to write it convincingly. It's hardly anything unusual; I've heard Ramsey Campbell wrote several Cthulhu Mythos stories set in England and I've written a piece set in present-day rural Canada.

Lol, I know. I can't help but think I'd like them better if they had come from Arizona or Idaho, though. :P

~ Rumpelstiltskin

The Colour out of Idaho...

I don't see it :P

Anyways, what do you guys think should appear as a Persona? It has to be a mythological God or Monster.

EDIT: Parugi, could you Co-GM? Or at least make sure that I didn't put a huge plothole in the story?

Edited by The Lonesome Wanderer

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

...Actually, in that same vein, have we ever had a Harry Potter RPG? And if so, an RPG that's set in the Harry Potter world at large? It's pretty well established that there are other schools of magic around the world (Salem Witches Academy, for example) . A wizarding RPG set outside of England and exploring magical cultures from other locales sounds like a pretty cool idea.

I remember one Harry Potter RPG though I do recall it being insanely strict, placing a specific limit on how many people were allowed in each house and requiring players to constantly attend each and every single class without exception. It was very hard to keep up with.Then there were all kinds of other rules like how people were supposed to type in a certain text colour to make it clear what house they were in, and don't get me started on how many times I got into trouble because I didn't always try to ensure my ICs had at least three lines of text. I don't know if I'd play it or not but I'll confess that if one were to take another crack at it exploring other schools and maybe visiting other countries would be an interesting twist.

Seriously? No one is interested in helping me at all with a Dragon Ball RPG? Oh well, guess I'll work on a draft anyways, see if then it will pique anyone's interest...

I would help, but the trouble is that my knowledge of Dragon Ball can best be summed up as "some guy named Goku with big hair and an orange suit flies around and does stuff".There's not much I can do to assist you.

TLW: I can't make any 100% promises as far as co-GMing goes, since I'm going to be starting college in late August and that is likely to cut into my game time, but until then I can certainly help out with it. ^_^

Harry Potter RPG: Atton Rand sums up my concerns quite nicely, as I also played in the last HPRPG that we had and it was... well, rather difficult. I wouldn't mind a chance to play in another HPRPG, though.

Edited by Parugi

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

~ Rise of the Rockets (I II)/Discussion Topic/Side Stories ~

Why does everything weird have to be in New England?

~ Rumpelstiltskin

Our environments created writers such as those. I think that alone is cause enough to pin the blame on New England. :P

fK5oqYf.jpg

Why does everything weird have to be in New England? I mean, in my experience we're all sensible, friendly individuals who enjoy our privacy, freedom, and the outdoors. Where Stephen King and H.P. Lovecraft came up with all this hullabaloo is beyond me. :P ~ Rumpelstiltskin

That is precisely why. Sensible, normal and privacy-minded. Who knows what really lurks beneath the surface?

STAR WARS GALAXY AT WAR

E2F89AB957A1479880B245CBBECF5036.jpg

... we have cookies

Why does everything weird have to be in New England? I mean, in my experience we're all sensible, friendly individuals who enjoy our privacy, freedom, and the outdoors. Where Stephen King and H.P. Lovecraft came up with all this hullabaloo is beyond me. :P ~ Rumpelstiltskin

That is precisely why. Sensible, normal and privacy-minded. Who knows what really lurks beneath the surface?

Speaking as someone who lives here, unfortunately little. :P

Alright. Last call for any objections, criticisms, suggested corrections for MC before I perform my final edits and submit it.

fK5oqYf.jpg

They don't teach you guys about the Great War over there? When the other states united and drove back the Lich-Devils of New England and imprisoned them in human form?

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

They don't teach you guys about the Great War over there? When the other states united and drove back the Lich-Devils of New England and imprisoned them in human form?

Ssh, ssh, ssh.Basilisk. My friend. Don't speak such nonsense. Why don't you go have a seat in the corner? I'll be along in just a minute to clear things up for you.

:)

fK5oqYf.jpg

Ssh, ssh, ssh.

Basilisk. My friend. Don't speak such nonsense. Why don't you go have a seat in the corner? I'll be along in just a minute to clear things up for you.

:)

Get thee behind me Lich-Devil! The immortal ghost of God-King Roosevelt commands you!

If you are the only sane man....doesn't that make us the normal ones? :P

Anywho, I'm making a world for MC myself.

Tremble with fear.

If you are the only sane man....doesn't that make us the normal ones? :P

Anywho, I'm making a world for MC myself.

Tremble with fear.

I am too. Crossing fantasy and science fiction. Fantasy races, no magic, high level tech.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

Oh, I never said I was sane. I mean, my whole BZP persona is based around a man who calls everyone "dearie" and punctuates his sentences with high-pitched giggles. You're just not my kind of crazy, dearie.

I'm tempted to make my own world for MC, but I think I'm going to let the game progress for a little while before I try. See what everyone else is doing, how the game is progressing, that sort of thing.

~ Rumpelstiltskin