The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Oh, and then there's the consulting detective who will probably have control over kinetic energy, but only on the molecular level. (See: thermal energy)

Fire, ice, and lightning.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Any intrest in the Devil Survivor RPG I posted a bit about earlier? A bit farther up the page is a description of the setting.

It sounds interesting, but I don't know anything about Devil Survivor, so I'm not sure how to critique it.

Just to make sure, Dragon Ball won't be accused of drawing players from other RPGs, right? Dragon Ball is more 'martial arts times a billion' than superhero to me.

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

I... think the closest thing we have to Dragon Ball Z is the Proelium, which, well. Has seen better days already. I'm doubtful anyone would get mad at you.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Oh for crying out loud...

Look, any RPG could potentially draw players away from any other RPG. That's just kind of the way it is. The reason for the rule against having two RPGs on the same exact thing is more to promote diversity in the RPGs, because, let's face it. If one big popular thing came along, and that rule wasn't in place, fifteen of you would submit an RPG for that thing within about a week.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Yeesh, I didn't mean to incite mass panic with that comment; I don't even think you could associate Dragonball with superheroes. That rule is in place so that you don't have two X-Men RPGs running at the same time, or two Pokemon RPGs, stuff like that. You wouldn't start a Dragonball RPG if one were already running, would you? Then you're not violating that concept.

As for player-stealing, that has nothing to do with the rules whatsoever, it's more of a personal standpoint of mine. Every running plot in TSTW! seemed to crash around the same time because players seemed to disappear, and a lot of the players in question appear to have taken up residence in X-Men, some with similar characters. That's not the X-Men RPG's fault, and I don't hold anything against the game or its staff - I attempted to run an X-Men RPG in the past, and I'm happy that universe is getting it's due. I blame the players themselves, particularly when I sent one of them a PM asking if they had any interest in returning to TSTW, and that individual didn't even bother to open the message, let alone reply saying they weren't interested anymore. :glare:

~ Rumpelstiltskin

I considered joining TSTW! before, but it's just been running for so long that there's all this backstory that I know nothing about. I still may join it in the future, though. It seems to sit at the campiest end of the Superhero RPs on this forum, which is a great thing.

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

Actually, I consider the Persona series inferior to Devil Summoner. It isn't challenging enough, and Persona 3/4 put too much focus into the relationship simulator side of things, preventing you from really moving the story along as you attempt to struggle through each Social Link.

Also, P4's hour long prologue.

So basically your plot outline is that the all the faultlines in the world go all wonky, and earthquakes ravage everything, destroying cities, starting tsunamis, flooding places, yada yada, yes? And then monsters attack the world and people need to survive it?

This is all STEVEN's fault.

Might work. You'd probably need to diverge a bit from the bog-standard "Con v. Bot".

How can you say that with a clean conscience? I'm as much for changing things up as the next guy, but if you have Transformers without Autobots vs. Decepticons (or, at the very least, some form of equivalent faction) then you're might as well just call it "Giant Transforming Robots Fighting". It just dies, right there.

Seriously, the never of people these days... suggesting that they try something 'new' with Transformers...

But in all seriousness, if you're going to make a Transformers RPG and try something new, you need to first establish which continuity you're going to set it in. And there are plenty to choose from. From there, look at the mythos. Find something cool. Expand.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

Edited by Toa Levacius Zehvor

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

Okay. So, a couple of questions. One, would those interested in playing the Monster Hunter RPG be more interested in a story direction based around the interaction and exploration of humans, or would a common enemy, likely a series of stupid strong monsters, be better received? Or perhaps a mix of both?

Second, would people rather Quests be handled sort of in story, given directly to the players via GM, or would people prefer to be able to choose from a list of quests on a "Quest Board" and journey off on their own? Or, once again, perhaps a mix of both?

~Totally like a boomerang. I always come back. Just never when you want me to.~

Having an anime does not make one a better character.

Of course, you need to flesh out these 'monsters' that are attacking.

Or are they just traditional demons of SMT?

Traditional SMT monsters. But I will flesh them out.

Expect draft sometime tomorrow.

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

Lol hate cards^^^^

Well... Doom cards are possibly going to be in, but I was thinking of getting rid of them. I don't want people complaining that they've lost their favorite Bakugan to the Doom Dimension..

And yes, there will probably be a few powerful ability cards. I'm having trouble with which cards (ability and gate) I should have. Since I am mixing the Season 1 and 2 combat systems, I will have Haos/Darkus/Pyrus/etc. Reactors, but I'm not sure where to go from there except to have triple battle. If you have any ideas, I would really appreciate it.

My Gate Card list so far...

All of the differently attributed Reactor Cards- plus 100 G's to Bakugan of that attribute.

Character Cards- Doubles that specific type of Bakugan's base G-power. (i.e. a Dragonoid with 300 G's lands on a Dragonoid Character Card. His G's are boosted to 600)

Triple Battle- The person who set down the Gate Card can throw in another Bakugan. The G-powers of the two Bakugan are combined.

Reversal- The Bakugan's G-powers are switched.

All of the different attributed Hazard Cards- Turn all of the Bakugan on the field to that attribute. (i.e. a Aquos Hazard will turn all battling Bakugan to the Aquos attribute)

Peacemaker- All battling Bakugan are returned to the brawlers without a fight.

Resurection- The winner gets one defeated Bakugan returned to their non-defeated Bakugan "hand"? (not sure what the correct term was)

Nullification- Nullifies all active abilities. All of them. No questions.

Mind Ghost- All standing Bakugan automatically lose.

Power Merge: 100 Gs are transferred from your opponent's Bakugan to yours.

EDIT: Here is a list of Ability Cards I found. I got rid of some, but this list is not mine. I have enough ability cards, I just need ideas for Gate Cards.

List:

Saurus Glow: Increase 1 Saurus' power level by 50 Gs.Slice Cutter: Allows your Mantris to decrease your opponent's bakugan's power level by 50 Gs.Frame Fire: Gain 50 Gs if you have a Pyrus bakugan in the battle.Firewall: If you have a Pyrus bakugan in the battle, decrease your opponent's bakugan's power level by 50 Gs.Jump Over: Negate your opponent's Ability card if you have a Ventus bakugan in the battle.Robotallian Enforcement: Increase your Robotallian bakugan by 50 Gs.Slash 0: Increase your Fear Ripper's power level by 100 Gs.Lightning Shield: If you have a Haos bakugan in battle, decrease you're opponent's bakugan's power level by 100 Gs.Fire Judge: If you have a Pyrus bakugan in battle, increase its power level by 100 Gs.Ability Counter: Negate your opponent's Ability Card.Power Charge: Increase your bakugan's power level by 100 Gs.Fire Sword: Increase your Pyrus Siege's bakugan power level by 50 Gs.Backfire: Use your Pyrus bakugan in the battle to nullify your opponent's Gate Card.Twin Machete: Increase your Mantris' power level by 100 Gs.Rapid Fire: If you have a Pyrus bakugan in the battle, shoot in another bakugan and combine power levels.Rapid Haos: If you have a Haos bakugan in the battle, shoot in another bakugan and combine power levels.Fire Storm: Increase your Pyrus bakugan's power level by 100 Gs.Poison Fangs: Any of your monstrous (i.e. saurus, not a siege) bakugan can use this card. Transfer 50 Gs from your opponent's bakugan to your own bakugan. Each time that opponent's bakugan brawls, reduce it by 50 Gs for each battle.Whirlwind: Use your Ventus bakugan to decrease your opponent's bakugan by 100 Gs.Earth Power: Increase your SubTerra bakugan by 50 Gs.Savage Air: Shoot in another Haos bakugan and combine g power levels.Wing Burst: Transfer 50 Gs from your opponent's bakugan to your Griffon bakugan.Fire Tornado: Transfer 100 Gs from your opponent's bakugan to your Pyrus bakugan.Desert Thunder: Increase your SubTerra bakugan by 100 Gs.Shadowscratch: Nullify your opponent's Gate Card.Solar Plexus: Allows your Ventus bakugan to nullify your opponent's Gate Card and drop their bakugan's power level by 50 Gs.Feather Storm: Increase your Harpus' power level by 100 Gs.Face of Grief: Allows your Fortress to negate both your opponent's Gate Card and prevent them from using Ability Cards.Alan Ray: Increase your Manion's power level by 100 Gs.Face of Rage: Allows Fortress to transfer 50 Gs from your opponent's bakugan to Fortress.Depth Tornado: Increase your Aquos bakugan's power level by 100 Gs.Abyss Ruler: Increase your Darkus bakugan's power level by 100 Gs.Anthemusa: If you have an Aquos Sirenoid on the battlefield, you win the round automatically.Haos Stasis: If you have three Haos bakugan on the battlefield with one of the being Haos Tentaclear, increase Haos Tentaclear's power level by 100 Gs, and return every Ability you've used in battle back to your arsenal.Forcing Waves: Increase your Aquos bakugan by 100 Gs.Solar Ray: Increase your Haos bakugan by 100 Gs.Spice Slayer: Transfer 100 Gs from your opponent's bakugan to your Darkus attributed bakugan.Hot Blast: Allows your El Condor to decrease your opponent's bakugan's power level by 100 Gs.Wall Burst: Decrease your opponent's bakugan by 100 Gs.Storm Breaker: Allows your Ventus bakugan to nullify your opponent's Gate Card..Sparcap: Allows your Ravenoid to nullify your opponent's Gate Card, and increase Ravenoid's power level by 50 Gs.Spirit Eye Flash: If you have a Haos bakugan on the field, change the power level boost from your opponent's Gate Card to a subtraction instead of an increase.Ventus and Pyrus Co-Relation: If you are a Ventus bakugan against a Pyrus bakugan, increase your Ventus' power level by 100 Gs.Dimension 4: Negate opponent's Gate Card power boost if you have a Darkus bakugan in the battle.Double Dimension: Negate the effect of the opponent's Ability Card if you have a Darkus bakugan in the battle.Tsunami: If you have three Aquos bakugan on the battlefield with one of them being an Aquos Siege, wipe out all the bakugan on the field other than that Siege.Marionette: Use your Mantris bakugan on the battlefield to move any bakugan over to any Gate Card you want.Doom Companion: Destroy all bakugan on the Gate Card you've activated this card for.Haos and Darkus Co-Relation: If you are a Haos bakugan against a Darkus bakugan, increase the Haos' power level by 100 Gs.Pyrus and Darkus Vertical Relation: If you are either a Pyrus bakugan against a Darkus bakugan, or a Darkus bakugan against a Pyrus bakugan, increase your power level by 100 Gs.Shade: Negate all of your opponent's active Ability Cards.SubTerra and Aquos Diagonal Relation: If you have either a SubTerra bakugan against an Aquos bakugan, or an Aquos bakugan against a SubTerra bakugan, increase your power level by 100 Gs.Darkus and Aquos Co-Relation: If you are a Darkus bakugan against an Aquos bakugan, increase your Darkus' power level by 100 Gs.Water Refrain: If you have an Aquos bakugan in battle, your opponent can no longer play Ability Cards for that round.Left Gigante: Use your Cycloid bakugan to negate your opponent's Gate Card.Sand Trap: Use your SubTerra bakugan to decrease an opponent's bakugan's power level by 50 Gs.Copycat: Re-use one of yours or your opponent's cards against them. Attribute or bakugan requirements for the card are still applied.Tornado Pandemonium: Increase your Ventus bakugan by 100 Gs.Venomous Beast Torrent Attack: If you have a monstrous bakugan on the battlefield, you may exchange it for another monstrous bakugan and switch positions in the game. This card also works for defeated bakugan.Aquos and Ventus Co-Relation: If you are an Aquos bakugan against a Ventus bakugan, increase your Aquos' power level by 100 Gs.Back Draft: If you have a Ventus bakugan on the battlefield, send yours or your opponent's bakugan on the Gate Card back to its owner.Right Gigante: Increase your Cycloid's power level by 100 Gs.Revive: Return all of your lost bakugan to your arsenal.Dive Mirage: Use your Aquos bakugan to move over to an adjacent Gate Card, that Gate Card is then nullified.Mega Flare Blinder: Allows Tentaclear to nullify your Gate Card and prevent your opponent from playing Ability cards this turn. Special and Fusion Ability cards, however, are excluded from this effect.Pure Light: If you possess a Haos bakugan in battle, restore 1 bakugan from either yours or your opponent's defeated pile and add it to your arsenal.Triple Node: If you possess a Haos, Aquos, and Pyrus; or a Ventus, Darkus, and Subterra bakugan on the battlefield, increase each of the three bakugan's power levels by 200 Gs.Haos Freeze: If you have a Haos bakugan on the field, prevent your opponent's from using Ability cards this turn. Special and Fusion Abilities, however, are excluded from this effect. Then, you may shoot in another Haos bakugan and combine power levels.Merge Shield: Replicate and increase your Darkus bakugan's power level by however many Gs your opponent's bakugan has gained in this battle.Grand Down: Allows your Darkus bakugan to nullify your opponent's Gate Card.Dragoon: Increase your El Condor bakugan by the same number of Gs your opponent's bakugan has total.Spirit Canyon: Allows your SubTerra bakugan to neutralize your opponent's Gate Card and increase your bakugan by 100 Gs.Pyrus and SubTerra Co-Relation: If you are a Pyrus bakugan against a SubTerra bakugan, increase your Pyrus' power level by 100 Gs.Reverse Blow: Return your bakugan back to your arsenal during mid-battle.Haos and Ventus Diagonal Relation: If you have a Haos bakugan against a Ventus bakugan, or a Ventus bakugan against a Haos bakugan, increase your power level by 100 Gs.SubTerra and Haos Co-Relation: If you are a SubTerra bakugan against a Haos bakugan, increase your SubTerra's power level by 100 Gs.

Edited by sonyaxe

Uh, so... I trashed my old idea for an RP because while a game in the universe of Doctor Who would be crazy fun, it'd be hard as diamond encrusted mythril to GM properly.

Now, I've been playing Tales of the Abyss recently, and I think it would be awesome to set an RP in, especially considering that the magic system actually has a science to it.

The problem is, I'm unable to GM due to MED. So, if anyone would like to, let me know.

No such thing as destiny.

BZPRPG Profiles

I know that numbers are complicated when you have to add (omigosh) 100 to a number.All sarcasm aside, I actually have some good reasons for having Gpower.1. It decides a clear winner to each battle, because each person only has said amount of ability cards, making battles that would normally take up pages of an RPG a bit more concise.2. It is a good balancer. Gpower gives all players equalish Bakugan, therefore allowing someone who is not good at battle rp to have a chance.3. Gpower is something that just embodies Bakugan. Since this is based mostly off of the first season, and because I personally like gpower, I feel like this RPG just wouldnt feel right without it.As for the list of ability cards, it does need cutting down. There are WAY too many as if now, and any feedback on which ones to remove will be appreciated.Any posts tht say to get rid of them all... Well, you will be ignored unless you can come up with three genuine reasons that at least 5 members of the community back up and can confirm in their own words. Then I will CONSIDER getting rid of Gpower and Ability cards.(I typed all this from my iphone. Lol)EDIT: @Canis: Gpower is nothing like HP. Gpower is power, and is infinitely easier to calculate because there aren't crit hits, supereffectives or not very effectives. It is simply a measure of how powerful your Bakugan is, and if it has higher Gs, it will win.

Edited by sonyaxe

Sony, there's one thing you really are missing here; it's not the purpose of the numbers that matters here. The point is that TBRPGs and hard numbers don't mix well, unless you're going for a RTS game. Because they're completely separate genres. There are reasons why Pokemon and Digimon games both lack any hard numbers.

Namely, because they don't work, and people hate having to deal with them.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Well, how do you suggest I deal with this then? With firts season bakugan, which i am using, there arent that many abilities that are just someone shooting a fireball, and call me lazy but i am not going to come up with 2-3 Bakugan specific abilities for each bakugan. As i said at one point, i was going to try the RPG with Gpower at first and if player response wasnt good for it i would switch to the new system.

Edited by sonyaxe

It doesn't really do any good to plan to switch to a backup, and then preface that by saying you're too lazy to come up with the backup. And honestly, I don't know how you should deal with it. Because numbers are integral to the way the show works.

But they don't work well for TBRPGs. My suggestion? Develop your backup, and lead with it.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

I know that numbers are complicated when you have to add (omigosh) 100 to a number.All sarcasm aside, I actually have some good reasons for having Gpower.1. It decides a clear winner to each battle, because each person only has said amount of ability cards, making battles that would normally take up pages of an RPG a bit more concise.2. It is a good balancer. Gpower gives all players equalish Bakugan, therefore allowing someone who is not good at battle rp to have a chance.3. Gpower is something that just embodies Bakugan. Since this is based mostly off of the first season, and because I personally like gpower, I feel like this RPG just wouldnt feel right without it.As for the list of ability cards, it does need cutting down. There are WAY too many as if now, and any feedback on which ones to remove will be appreciated.Any posts tht say to get rid of them all... Well, you will be ignored unless you can come up with three genuine reasons that at least 5 members of the community back up and can confirm in their own words. Then I will CONSIDER getting rid of Gpower and Ability cards.(I typed all this from my iphone. Lol)

I suggest that you don't issue ultimatums in the future.

I remember trying to implement numbers into an RPG once, and for the life of me I can't remember all of the reasons that were given as to why it was a bad idea - but it frankly was, and is. At the time, I didn't like having to remove it either. But then, at the time, my RPGs were usually two posts in length. That RPG would have been two posts in length. But fortunately, there were people, far more experienced, who were there. I credit TPTI for that particular lesson more than anyone else.

Don't just shut out what people are saying so easily. You still need to have you RPG judged. That attitude won't improve your RPG in the least.

You can keep your numbers or whatever in your RPG as much as you like, but here's the thing. I'll let Krayzikk explain the first part -

Sony, there's one thing you really are missing here; it's not the purpose of the numbers that matters here. The point is that TBRPGs and hard numbers don't mix well, unless you're going for a RTS game. Because they're completely separate genres. There are reasons why Pokemon and Digimon games both lack any hard numbers.

Namely, because they don't work, and people hate having to deal with them.

RPGs are a written medium. They are not a visual medium, like film or television, or (most) video games to a lesser extent. They are written medium of an interactive literary nature that tell a story. The story is what matters, and numbers get in the way. When you create an RPG for a setting where numbers matter, you don't explore those mechanics, you explore the story and setting, and the characters who reside within, by taking on the role of one of those characters. It's called roleplaying for a very important reason.

The entire concept of a numbers system detracts from the tone. If you're trying to tell a story, you don't want to interrupt it with a bunch of numbers in the middle of the way that are trying to explain things.

Well, how do you suggest I deal with this then? With firts season bakugan, which i am using, there arent that many abilities that are just someone shooting a fireball, and call me lazy but i am not going to come up with 2-3 Bakugan specific abilities for each bakugan. As i said at one point, i was going to try the RPG with Gpower at first and if player response wasnt good for it i would switch to the new system.

The solution is, of course, to let players look it up themselves and say what their Bakugan does. Or, heck, make their own or whatever. I'm not familiar enough with the system to say. If it looks fine, then approve it; otherwise, don't.

And frankly, if none of this appeals to you, there's another solution - make an RPG for something else. If you can't transcribe something between two mediums, don't. Look at World War Z for what I'll guarantee to be an example of that. There's lots of other things that could be written for. Plenty of stories to go around. Perhaps you could make your own, and test your creativity? Whatever you need to do.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

Fair enough, I will see how the new system works first in the RPG. There is a slight problem though... There are abilities that block everything, no questions asked if your guy has wings. I just am kind of confused as to how it would work. Battles could litterally go on forever since your Bakugan suddenly has unlimited use abilities. Plus, although Bakugan at firstglance looks like a game of pure power, there is a level of strategy that can only be unlocked with gpower. If there are any suggestions with good ideas, im all ears.Also, I was hesitant to admit this, but about certain things I am kind of a control freak. When something happens, I like to know exactly why it happened. That is why I was being so adament. I had to have solid reasons as to why gpower was a bad idea. I admit i was in the wrong for how i reacted, but i still am going to try to look for a way for Gs to work.Also, they completely messed up day z with the movie from what ive seen in the trailers.

Having recently played Infra Arcana for an hour straight, I am now ecited for the Lovecraft RPG.

Sadistic Chiroptophobiac Detective FTW.

And yes, that was one of my characters stats.

Edited by The Lonesome Wanderer

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

One last attempt at the Gpower system...There is a site I found that has tons of players for a Bakugan Brawlers RPG that uses a more complex Gpower system then mine. I'm not sure if I can post links, so if I can't just tell me.Please don't advertise other forums. -B6EDIT: Then again, a lot of that site isn't as much roleplay, so... Tell me what you think.Also, I do have the second system worked out, and I've had it since I started the plans for this RPG. So I could easily switch to it if needed.

EDIT2: My bad, I didn't think that was advertising. I was trying to show an example for why something could work. Since I can't post the link, it is a site that I will not post the name of that has CRAZY complicated rules for brawling, and they have over 4,000 members. It is an example. If you still want me to use system numero dos, then I will.

Edited by sonyaxe

Okay, sony. Before I reported that link, I looked around the site a little. That is not roleplay. That is the sort of thing that would go in the Games & Trivia forum. There was no roleplay. That was a game. They can have super complex rules because no one is doing anything as characters. It wouldn't work here.

Just get rid off G-Points. Keep Ability cards as abilities, but don't give them specific G subtractions.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?