The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Unless Star Wars and Star Trek became a religion when I wasn't looking. :P

i had to pop in here and say there is jediism.

where people actually believe in the force.

so

uh

yeah.

Anyways, I never really liked the idea of RTSRPGs when I was younger (due to my lack of patience), though I may give this one a shot. No real suggestions.

but yes i did have to mention jediism. I think that's how you spell it, at least.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Jediism....?

.....Hello there faith in humanity. Where are you going? What?! Stay! Please stay! Just because people worship something from a fictio-

....on second thought. Can I come with you?

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Xom does have an immortal sorcerer-king though, they're ok.

Immortality? Bah, that sounds boring.

Though back to dragons - hypothetically, what would happen if you did get a dragon in the fountain?

Unless Star Wars and Star Trek became a religion when I wasn't looking. :P

You're better not knowing...

EDIT: Never mind, too late.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

Edited by Toa Levacius Zehvor

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

I decided to cut the immortal Sorceror-King actually. Doesn't fit with the rest of Shial.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Upon thought, really nothing new. Depressing but not new. Some people will cling to anything to get by. Star Wars is so popular it was more or less inevitable really.

Oh humanity. You so crazy.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

It is believed the majority of self-reported Jedi claimed the religion for their own amusement, to poke fun at the government,[1] or as a protest against the inclusion of the religion question on the census form.

Suddenly I feel better about all of this. Fight the power.

... then I read the criticism part of the article. People will whine about anything.

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Getting a dragon to fit in the fountain would be impossible but if you were to construct a basin for it to bathe in then you'd just get what happens to anyone after prolonged exposure; a dragon wizard. It'd be no more or less powerful than other wizards.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

I'm really looking into creation and summoning as the focus for my magic.

....Also, what are enchanted roads? They don't decay for a very long time? The romans managed that, and it isn't magic. :P

Enchanted roads let you run at 30 MPH for the same amount of effort of 7 MPH. It's a handy time saver.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Getting a dragon to fit in the fountain would be impossible but if you were to construct a basin for it to bathe in then you'd just get what happens to anyone after prolonged exposure; a dragon wizard. It'd be no more or less powerful than other wizards.

"Fascinating. It appears that you cease to be a might wizard and become a fragile pointy-eared monkey. While I? I am still a dragon."

Still, the dragon thing seems other peoples territory. I'm thinking more... griffons. Maybe a roc or two, if that's allowed.

Kay, so, about the fountains. If we were to alchemically make a person immune to heat, and place them in a boiling pool of mana, would this increase the rate of the chemical reaction and speed up the wizard making process?

So what. Can I tie bricks from enchanted roads to my horses and make them faster everywhere? To my soldiers? It seems like it could be abused very easily.

For something that claims to be low fantasy well...

Edited by Basilisk

Uhm, no, that's just ruin the mana and you'd be doing a crime against humanity.

voidstars.png

This isn't Low Fantasy at all. Low Fantasy is stuff like the Conan stories, where the focus of the story is on one man, as opposed to Lord of The Rings, where the focus is about the fate of an entire land. Even the Conan stories where he's King of Aquilonia are about Conan the King, not about Aquilonia.

This is low-magic high fantasy.

I don't think enchanting roads to boost speed should be allowed. Allows too much abuse, like Basilisk just pointed out.

Also, enchant the horseshoes.

Edited by Xomeron

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Uhm, no, that's just ruin the mana and you'd be doing a crime against humanity.

Okay, that's 1 EP that doesn't need to be wasted...

Next on the agenda of horrible scientific experients - blood transfusions using mana. On a large animal like a horse, of course, that wouldn't miss having small amounts replaced. Humans come along later. Using the Animal Husbandry skill, of course. What would happen if this was done?

"There is no problem that cannot be overcome by an imaginative and vigorous use of the animal husbandry skill."

This isn't Low Fantasy at all. Low Fantasy is stuff like the Conan stories, where the focus of the story is on one man, as opposed to Lord of The Rings, where the focus is about the fate of an entire land. Even the Conan stories where he's King of Aquilonia are about Conan the King, not about Aquilonia.

You know, I was thinking the same thing. Then I checked Wikipedia, and it was giving me some stuff about how physics apply. Now I'm realizing I believed something posted on a Wikipedia article instead of trusting what I already know. Now I feel quite silly.

I can buy magic in a story, I have no problem with magic. I'm just a bit confused about magic does in this setting, Humva, you said you wanted clear limits on what it can and can't do. Which I support, but it seems like the enchanted roads weren't fully considered even though they were mentioned. I'm not trying to be the bad guy here, out to ruin the RPG or drag another high fantasy captive to the altar of realism and make with the blood-letting, but I guess I'm seeing a disconnect between what I thought was happening based on what you told me, and what the final product is. Too much magic can so easily be abused, which makes for a bad experience for everyone.

Edited by Basilisk

Blood transfusions using mana would result in the animal dying a horrible horrible death, owing partly to the fact that mana is a base and partly to the fact that living creatures don't like random stuff in their blood.

Speed enhancing enchantments are now roundly banned on all fronts.

voidstars.png

So, here's my reading on magic:

Creation: Using magic as a force to change something or animate. Applications ranging from summoning to nercomancy.

Battle magic: So be it. Jedi.

320px-BZZZZZZ.png

Alchemy: This one is the most tricky, I kinda thought it could be abused, but I figured enchanted roads were just roads that didn't need to be mantained. Which is a huge advantage in an ancient setting-the roads of Rome were a huge reason they expanded as far as they did. From what I understand now: Alchemy can alter the biology or structure of something for a certain effect and for a certain amount of time. Soldiers who never sleep for example. I can imagine this having bad effects down the road, so everyone doesn't try to rush to super-hax elites and mass produce potions-though the limits built into mana could also solve that.

I apologize if I caused the staff any stress, but it really seemed like it could be abused and I figured better now then later.

Am I close to the mark?

Edited by Basilisk

Blood transfusions using mana would result in the animal dying a horrible horrible death, owing partly to the fact that mana is a base and partly to the fact that living creatures don't like random stuff in their blood.

Hmm... so how much would be a lethal dose when consumed? And what temperatures must it be kept between (in case a meatloaf needs enchanting).

Is it explosive?

Not all enchantments require mana. Very few do actually, only the more powerful ones. Most enchantments require a lot of chanting, meditating, and maybe a bit of seasoning.

It's going be lethal pretty quick if you start drinking it. You bath in the stuff to become a wizard, you don't consume it. It's kinda like a bubble bath really.

And no, no it's not explosive.

voidstars.png

Not all enchantments require mana. Very few do actually, only the more powerful ones. Most enchantments require a lot of chanting, meditating, and maybe a bit of seasoning.

It's going be lethal pretty quick if you start drinking it. You bath in the stuff to become a wizard, you don't consume it. It's kinda like a bubble bath really.

And no, no it's not explosive.

Okay, then one final question - Mana Golem. Can it happen?

Mana is fascinating really. I get the impression it gradually 'soaks' into the would-be wizard from the water. I would kill to get that thing under a microscope. It's a really refreshing take on magic in general really. It doesn't come from energy, from the world spirit, blood or life. It's a strange, mysterious substance that grants certain abilities. Really, it's a very nice approach to the whole thing.

That said, I want to get one of those fountains on a slab in a lab and just pull it apart. Find out what makes it tick.

You're the one complaining about how this isn't low fantasy enough. Delving into the nature of magic is high-fantasy stuff.

-Rover

You're the one complaining about how this isn't low fantasy enough. Delving into the nature of magic is high-fantasy stuff.

It's a force that exists and has an effect. It'd be foolish to not explore it a bit. Frankly, the low fantasy thing was a genre quibble. Did I say anything hinting that I wanted the fundamental nature of the RPG altered? No. No I did not. I've come to realize I just associated low fantasy with everything I liked back in the day, to the point of ignoring other works. I actually enjoy Lord of the Rings quite a bit now. Having finally read it as a work and not as a statement.

It's part of the world, like heat and gravity. Notice how they weren't explored until the enlightenment? Same thing.

-Rover

I see no reason why a mana golem couldn't work. It'd be a bloody waste of mana, seeing as the golem's going shatter at the first blow and then the mana seeps into the ground and is gone, but you could do it. It incurs no special benefits though, it'd be no different than, say, a water golem.

voidstars.png

It's part of the world, like heat and gravity. Notice how they weren't explored until the enlightenment? Same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Jazari

One would think. But no. If a arabic man can build what amounted to a robotic music band in his day and age, I should think magic, which has a massive showy effect on the world (as opposed to gravity-it has a massive effect but has a horrible press agent), that someone would try to explore it.

Besides expressing an OOC desire to get that thing under a microscope is kinda seperate from funding massive explorations into the nature of magic IC.

Edited by Basilisk

Aristotle tried...

Be interesting if a lot of the people in this world actually follow a similar belief in "essences" and the like of things; maybe mana is assumed to be a form of "quintessence" from the heavens which moves to the surface in an attempt to reach the heavens? I could seem some of the religious leaders in the world trying to explain this by the whole "mans sin is what ties mana to the world" or something like that.

Will have to think on this, for the purposes of designing a believable fake religion and culture...

I see no reason why a mana golem couldn't work. It'd be a bloody waste of mana, seeing as the golem's going shatter at the first blow and then the mana seeps into the ground and is gone, but you could do it. It incurs no special benefits though, it'd be no different than, say, a water golem.

It means that I don't need to transport mana from one place to another the hard way. I can just have it walk away and move somewhere else, so I could build me a second pool or whatever I needed.

You could, aye. Alas, there are some problems with building new pools. Fountains of Mana are actually fountains, mana is being brought to the surface and then sent back down constantly. It's slow so you're not going be sucked to the bottom but it is a cycle. An artificially created pool will not make wizards; the mana needs to be refreshed, in a process that would require you draining a fountain and doing extensive studies of it to replicate said process.

voidstars.png

This just gets more and more interesting.

Mana is coming up from beneath the Earth.

Why do I get the feeling drilling down to see where it's coming from would end in....uh....

"There's power here, begging to be released. And The Illuminati, they tried their best; in their arrogance, they believed they could tame it, use it somehow. That's why the entire island is riddled with esoteric markings and archaic symbols, with tunnels and secret rooms. They dug deep... and what they found scared them. They wised up eventually, moved onto bigger and better things, left the town to rot. Those who remained... well, who would they leave behind? Not their best and brightest, I can guarantee you that. Those people, they kept feeding on the power until it permeated everything."
— Sam Krieg, The Secret World
Edited by Basilisk

Well then. New scenario -

A highly programmed Mana golem, the work of many weeks of love and labor by multiple creation wizards and alchemists. Very small. Basically, you send a collection of gifts to an enemy land, including a tube of mana. With the golem inside of it. It is programmed to pretend to be inanimate, but try to move when not being observed. Slowly, it slips into your enemies mana well, and then its magic seeps into the rest of the mana. Suddenly, you control your enemies mana well. All would-be wizards who try to use it are drowned. Your enemy can't make any more wizards.

Just saying, Basilisk. If you start scientifically examining the existence of magic, I will break out the Undead Logic Gates

-Rover

Yeah, if your mana golem slipped into their fountain, it'd still only be controlling the mana it was initially composed of, golems can't grow on their own. You could still drown wizards but they'd catch on and punch your golem and them you'd be kinda sunk.

Oh, yeah; to get a leg up when this whole thing starts, feel free to PM me with where you might want to start off on. Include the region and general description of what bit on the map you want (after all, some of those regions are big places) and your nation color and I'll add you on so you can keep track of what's what.

Edited by Strategist Alex Humva

voidstars.png

As a side note. I've been discussing the magic system with Humva. And it's applications.

Pray to your feeble gods mortals. Though they cannot save you.

So I posted this before the downtime. Wondering if anyone is interested. I need to pick up a few staff as well and probably need a few opinions on some details. Trying to make this a sand-box adventure with a survival element. If no one wants to play then I'll just scrap it.

The Walking Dead: Game of Survival

Story:

Welcome to the post zombie apocalyptic world. Two months ago a zombie outbreak spread across the globe. Communications were lost. Governments crumbled and millions of people died. Now the world is a much different and more barbaric place. It is survival of the fittest for the remaining humans. Zombies are everywhere, there is no stopping the dead. You can only hope to stay alive for as long as possible.

Could the living be as dangerous as the dead? What happens when total anarchy rules and there are no laws stopping people from killing one another? Your story begins in the countryside of New York State. You've been hiding out since the outbreak. You've heard from a few other survivors passing through that there is possibly a sanctuary within New York City. Perhaps its time to try to head there.

A Bit About the RP and Zombies...

This RP exists within the Walking Dead universe but has nothing to do with the show, comics or games. This game is set in an entirely different part of America so there is no chance of canon characters making an appearance.

The Walkers will be the same as in the show etc. They are slow moving, very capable of grabbing you, biting you, holding you down, etc. In some cases even opening doors. They are not capable of thought and run purely on an animal-like instinct to eat and kill. Their food? Fresh meat: especially humans, though they will eat animals as well. In this world zombies outnumber humans 5,000 to 1 so the odds are against you, they can be very dangerous in large numbers.

In this RP its more the humans you are in danger from then the zombies themselves. Don't underestimate a horde of them however. If you do something really, really stupid you can die. Your characters will be put in tough situations where they will have to choose something over something else. Where they may have to make sacrifices or betrayals.The staff will be controlling most of the zombies you encounter to reduce players mowing down hordes of zombies without problem.

Walker Info

When a person is bit or scratched they become infected. They become increasingly ill. Some of the symptoms are as follow: Fever/delirium/hallucinations, chills, nausea/vomiting, dehydration, vomiting blood. Once they die it can take from three minutes up to eight hours before the transformation is completed and they reanimate as a zombie/Walker.

If someone is bit or scratched on one of their limbs it is possible to remove the limb and cauterize the wound within a certain time period to stop the infection from spreading. It is unknown how much time people have to remove the limb or if it will always work.

A Walker may be neutralized by severe damage to or removal of part or all of their body below the skull. However, they are only truly killed by damaging the brain. A severed Walker head will remain animated and aggressive until the brain is destroyed or eventually disintegrates from decomposition. Walkers slowly decompose and grow weaker after time as muscles etc disintegrate. Zombies don't need to eat, but have an unnatural desire to do so.

Zombies have the ability to detect scents and differentiate between the living and the dead, and prefer to feed on living flesh. Though they can also use sight to distinguish living from dead, although they seem to have poor eyesight as their irises fade and decay, but they make up for it in very heightened senses of strong hearing and smell. They can also determine a human presence by feeling certain cues such as the breathing movements or a heart that is beating at an irregular pace from a scared human.

Zombies have been known to lay on the ground and play dead, sometimes when no food is around, or after they are shot, only to later crawl over and attack the living again.

Staff:

Flex

Rules:

1. You must post IC when you are speaking “in character,” and OOC when you are speaking “out of character.”2. Don’t take control of other players’ characters without their permission.3. If your character is in a position where there is no way to escape or survive they will and can and will die.4. No god-modding. You can’t ignore physics and you especially can’t ignore your characters’ weaknesses. No god modding. No character is invincible.5. Double posting should not happen.6. No killing all the zombies as if they are canon fodder. Remember the staff controls most of the zombies so you have to see if your shot hits or misses etc.7. Limit of 5 characters to start out. I might expand the limit but I don't want players giving themselves a personal army of characters. Try not to make too many that some of your character's don't get enough attention etc, be responsible and only take on as many as you can handle.8. And as always, all regular BZPower rules apply9. No straight OOC posts, if your gonna post post IC too.

Warnings and Offenses:

Numbers equal warnings for each offense

1. Warning. 2. Character mortally wounded. 3. Character death. 4. Several day ban. 5. All characters killed. 6. Permanent ban.

Character Rules:

1. Limit of one gun to start out with. It can either be a pistol, shotgun or a rifle (non automatic). You may also start out with one melee weapon: bats, crow-bars, knives etc. More weapons can be found in game, but it is up to the staff for them to be revealed. Players can't just happen upon a rocket launcher or something on their own.2. Characters can be from all over the world but should be trying to head to NYC for some reason.3. No canon characters from the show etc. allowed. If you want to play as a character similar to an existing one; then make them similar (but not expy similar!)

4. Your character is not omniscient. Everything they know has to be learned in some way.7. And most importantly, your character MUST be approved by a staff member before you post as that character.

8. Limit the skills your character has. They shouldn't be a skilled medic and a trained a trained mechanic.

To Join:

Simply fill out this form and post it in the topic:

Name: (Your full-name)Age:Gender:Occupation Before Outbreak:Weapons: . Limit of one gun to start out with. It can either be a pistol, shotgun or a rifle (non automatic). You may also start out with one melee weapon: baseball-bat, crow-bar, knives etc.

Supplies: bandages, flash-light, tinderbox stuff like that.Skills: (Things your character is good at, I will limit the skills characters can have.)Personality: (Your character’s personality)Weakness: (Every-one should have one)Bio: (What is your characters mysterious past?)

Edited by Flex Cop