The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Well. That was a bigger response than I'd expected.

Guess I'll have to get cracking on that then. Though I'd got other projects lined up...eh, I'll keep you all posted.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Hi everyone! Just dropping in to say that I have fixed the first post a bit, since it ended up smashed together after being left alone for a few years. On that note, if there's anything that needs to be added to it, feel free to send it to me and I'll likely put it in (namely important threads, or updates that have taken place [Getting these over the weekend would probably be best]).

Sort of an "in the moment" edit, so I didn't actually update the text itself and only organized it so it's actually legible.

Edited by Kit
  • Upvote 1

I thought Makaru was the new head of OTCRPGs? I haven't seen Than for ages, Makaru handles all the final approves and Judge stuff now.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

If the Necromantic-Humanity-On-The-Brink idea gets off the ground, I'll be playing as The Necrodancer.

Imagine Elton John as a Lich.

Yeah.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

While I would have interest in one done well, it's not something I think that would translate well into a BZPower styled game. I've seen a few of them elsewhere, but they all largely rely on one thing; Throwing the idea of "overpowered" and "realism" out the window. Historically, that doesn't really work well here. Without a consistent level of allowable power, and a way of knowing when someone is godmodding, things tend to go south as soon as there's a PvP fight.

Even beyond that, anyone attempting to make one would have to drum up a playerbase (Which, as a relatively obscure media, doesn't have a large number of fans here, let alone fans who also play RPGs) as well as find a way to flesh the world and mechanics out enough to make it work.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Doing some basic work on my RPG concept-races I can confirm:

Elves

Vampires

Demons

Werewolves

Wraith

Races I am considering:

Orcs

Goblins

Trying to decide just how big of a setting I want really.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

I'd advise that you keep it pretty compact and streamlined; in all honesty, we don't really have the playerbase for anything too wide-lensed and sprawling. Choose a specific plot/storyline concept focus point, and stick to it. I've found that, in general, it's the 'lean and mean'-type RPGs that tend to survive the best.

Also, I'm slightly unsure as to what exactly would grant 'vampires/werewolves/wraiths' true 'race' status. I mean, for example, humans are humans... but some humans are also werewolves. Human/elf/orc/etc. = species. Werewolf/vampire/wraith = condition/affliction. Right? Or was there never any confusion about that on your part, and I'm just misreading your post? :wakeup:

Might work better as a story then, I suppose. I like the world-building that tends to go into these things.

You didn't misunderstand-but as the humans, in this part of the world at least, are all dead....

Well, of course, I too enjoy worldbuilding... very much so, actually. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'd suggest you don't open up miles and miles of vast game world. Keep the focus to, say, a particular realm or area within the greater world, so as to limit... I'm not sure what the exact term is. Player scattered-ness? Too great of an NPC-to-PC ratio?

I think the name of the game here is, "Don't try to make Skyrim: The TBRPG."

I'm still completely advocating the idea from a few pages back of just short term RPGs meant to let players go through a short scenario, more like an adventure than anything else.

To throw in a suggestion on the races - perhaps it may be prudent to have a "Descendants of Man" section, and a "Creatures of Fantasy" section. One to place the changed descendants of man, the other to place the fantastical elves, orcs, etc. Amusingly, I would also advocate keeping the horrible creatures most confined to the former, with more whimsical ones being in the latter. Better still would be executing that and only allowing the once-humans to be played; you, the player, the monster. [/endstreamofconscious]

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

More and more this is looking like something a story would be suited for then, I suppose. When I design a setting, I tend to design everything about the setting, even things we don't end up seeing. We're talking about tectonic plate movements, the tides, what the rest of the star system looks like....

Depends on how closely related the races are. If elves are human offshoots or vice versa, I could see some hybrids. Orcs and Goblins are probably too genetically distinct for such unions to be viable.

So, uh... Funny story.

I've spent the last couple of weeks either getting repeatedly kicked in the face by English 2 or on pain medication.

I have two RPGs I'm currently building, but with any luck I will finish Twisted soon.

Sorry again.

Basilisk, as for your idea, that sounds awesome. Wraiths...

I'm definitely interested.

No such thing as destiny.

BZPRPG Profiles

Just testing the waters a bit, I promise I'll go back to the forums in which I belong soon.

Before I do, though, I was curious as to whether there's any respectable amount of interest in a Star Trek RPG at all? Not particularly right at this moment, or even within the month, but just as a gauge for me to see if anyone would hypothetically join should one ever hypothetically pop up sometime in the hypothetical future.

If not, I'll drop the concept and go back to attempting to actually stay active in an OTCRPG for once.

• Upvote 1

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Regarding my RPG idea, consider it canned. I've decided if I ever do anything with it, it'll be as a story. The modifications suggested to the idea would turn it into something else, something I wouldn't very much enjoy hosting.

I think that, if a Star Trek RPG were to happen, it could be pretty good, but it would need to somehow be different enough for the shows to be interesting.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

I think that, if a Star Trek RPG were to happen, it could be pretty good, but it would need to somehow be different enough for the shows to be interesting.

Aye, the setup of the shows could be both conductive to and somewhat destructive to an RPG setting.

I do have several ideas for different mechanics that may add some variety to the RPG as a whole, as well as some general settings that it may take place in. I would be more than happy to explain a couple which really seem like they'd work, if anyone is interested. However, like I stated above, I'm not really going to be putting anything down for the RPG itself unless it's really demanded.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, one two three go.

Who here would be interested in a Fire Emblem RPG (basically medieval-esque fantasy)? Due to the setting of the story(ies), I think it could be reasonably pulled off. I have a basic plot idea already but I just wanted to test the waters first.

If it's fantasy and I can play a necromancer/vampire/werewolf/somethingsomethingdarkmagic then I'll probably play.

*Casually sips from skull mug*

/ designates "or" in this case. Just to clarify.

Edited by Basilisk

There's Manaketes (men-dragons), some men-cats/birds/wolves/rabbits depending on the continuity, and there are dark mages, alongside nature mages and light mages. Not exactly what you're implying, but we can find something.

Edited by A Magus With Class

Plus there is a Necromancer class that summons a phantom to fight for him. And offensive Dark Magic + Healing Staves. Though that depends on how you want to model the classes.

EDIT: Technically that one (From FE8) is called Summoner. There is also a Necromancer class but it's just the penultimate boss' class that knows all the kinds of magic.

Edited by Claus Von Minun the 4th

25fbd79538e4c3de878b599045e3f03a.jpg

So, I've been thinking about giving a Transformers RPG a third shot. It's been quite a while so hopefully I've changed enough to manage it better.

If I do this, it'll be between WFC and FOC. Since, you know, the amount of time between each game was never specified and the Ark is under construction, I figured that'd be a viable setting.

Any takers?

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Less considering and more already having unofficially instituted it; last I checked, it's the opinion of me, Basilisk, Tyler, and Adders, that a Transformers RPG will not fly unless we are shown substantial reason as to why it will work. The idea has gone up before, only to crash and burn (three times btw, so this will be the fourth), so it isn't getting by without a large amount of community support.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

I'm pretty sure it would be the third shot, and the judges explicitly stated they were really considering a three-strikes-your-out rule for franchises.

Fourth. Auron's tanked after the downtime, and I'm sticking to my guns on this unless someone gives me a heck of a reason not to.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Agreed. The idea has failed, failed and failed again. I see no reason to give it another chance.

Okay, so I have been recently reading Watchmen, and I had an idea for an RPG. I probably wouldn't be able to host it, but if someone else could pick it up, that would be good.

It would be a standard hero/villain, comic book type RPG. The catch is that no one has superpowers - you are all normal people.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

Sounds like it could be cool.

Anyway I've been watching the original Digimon series on Netflix lately and I know we already had one Digimon RP that failed but I'm pretty sure that's because the GM wasn't active enough and never progressed the plot, if I remember it was pretty active at first.

I think I could handle running such a game I have a lot of ideas for the plot and whatnot, I was going to intervene and progress the last Digimon RP myself since I was co-GM but everytime I was about to the original GM would show up and then vanish again.

Just trying to see if people are still interested or not.

• 1 month later...

RPG Title: The Operators

Premise: Mercenary Group, The Out'ed is entangled in a mass conspiracy that's stretches across the globe, in an attempt to clear their names.

Charater Creation:

Name:

Description & Looks:

Loadout:

[skill 1]

[skill 2]

you can have as many skills you want, as long as you can unlock them.

There are limits, which I will explain about later.

Sample.

Name: John Doe.

Faction: The Out'ed

Description & looks: This man is the pinnacle of Average, average look, Height, weight, you name it.

Loadout:

Assault rifle, 5.56, Red dot sight [+1] [4.5 kg]

Pistol, 9mm, Shortened Slide & Barrel [+1] [1.5 kg]

Wire tazer. [.5 kg]

Basic Weapons training [assault, Pistol, Tazer][+1]

Rolls:

1: Total failure, with negative results. No damage is dealt/negated with Combat/Evade/block rolls.

2: The action fails. No damage is dealt/negated with Combat/Evade/block rolls.

3: The action succeeds. Deals/negates 1 damage.

4: Ditto Deals/negates 2 damage.

5: Ditto Deals/negates 3 damage.

6: Ditto Deals/negates 4 damage.

7+: Total success, with added benefits. Deals/negates 5+ damage.

Armory:

-Large weapons

LMG, 5.56, Bipod [+1 only if evade rolls are not used], Grip [negates a single -1] [4.50 kg]

Grenade launcher, 40x36mm, Grip, [negates a single -1] Relfex Sight [+1] [5 kg]

RPG, 40mm, [7 kg]

-Medium weapons

Assault rifle

5.56, Under barrel shotgun [allows you to use a shotgun (8 gauge) In tandem with the assault rifle, at the cost of [-1].], Red dot sight [+1], Grip [negates a single -1] [4.5 kg]

7.62, Grenade launcher [allows you to you shoot a grenade in tandem with the assault rifle, at the cost of [-1]] Red dot sight [+1], Wooden parts replacement [+1] [3.5 kg]

Shotgun, 8 gauge, Grip [negates a single -1] [2.5 kg]

Sniper rifles

5.56, Scope [+1], Bipod [+1 if evade rolls are not used.] [5 kg]

7.62, Scope [+1] Ext. Barrel, [negates a single [-1].] [5.5 kg]

-Light weapons

Pistol

.45, shortened barrel and slide [+1],

WIP, I'm working on an RPG for another Board and I wanted to see your guys opinions on it, if people like it, I might submit it to the Request form.

Edited by why did I do this?

Looks like it's the end of the line for 21.