The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

I'm going to have to agree with Shadowhawk on this, because despite having played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, my knowledge of the lore and all the history is small, despite my love of the overall setting. The whole time I was reading the posts, I kept thinking "Holy Botswana Ankle Monks this is a lot of text!" But at the same time, I loved every word. So yeah, if this gets approved, I will definitely join it.

I do have a question, though, and if it was mentioned in either of the posts, I apologize. Will characters be able to become vampires or werewolves, or are those off limits?

• Upvote 1

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

Sorry for once again hijacking the post, but I was digging through my computer, and found an unfinished RPG that I never got around to posting. I'll post the first bit here, and if anyone wants me to finish the rest, I'll put it up for everyone to see.

-------------

Once upon a time, the world was Void, and the Void was dark and somber.

Then came the Five, each one a Being of pure Divinity. They were the Gods of All That Is, Was and Ever-Will-Be.

Together, They forged a world of pure Radiance and Beauty, and They named their Creation, and they named it Avalus, the Jewel of the Void.

On this new world, the Gods forged Creatures in Their image. First were the Elves, magical and beautiful. Then were the Orcs, savage and brutal. 

Third came the Dragons, monstrous and cunning. Fourth were the Faeries, seemingly insignificant, but possessed of a power beyond comprehension.

Last, but not least, came Man. The race that the Potential to be benevolent pacifists or malevolent warmongers. To bow before the gods in fealty, or to 

defy them in anarchy.

As the Gods finished Their creations, They grew jealous of one another, and began to fight amongst Themselves. They took their war to the Mortal 

Plane, creating awasteland known as the Darklands, a place of terror and fear.

Before They could destroy Their own creation, the Law-Giver amongst Them gave much of Her power to seal the Divine Gates and lock the Gods out

ofAvalus. She commanded Them to never again walk upon the surface of Avalus, for fear They would destroy it.

In exchange, They each created a holy Artifact, imbued with Their Power, and They hid them on the Mortal Plane, so They may continue Their Wars

from afar. 

Of Order, came the Shield. Of Chaos, came the Hammer. Of Benevolence, came the Sword. Of Malevolence, came the Spear. Of Balance, came the 

Crown. These Artifacts were hidden, and the Gods retreated from Avalus, not to be seen again for Millenia.

Still, the Prophecies speak of a Time when Strife grows too much to bear for the Goddess of Balance, and that one day, the Divine Gates will Open, and They will Return to claim Their World.

~Creation, 1:1 - 1:10, Book of Siel

Age of Strife

It is the five-hundred and eighty-seventh year of the Seventh Age. War has returned to Avalus. The kingdoms bicker like children, fighting wars that serve no purpose but to 

frustrate the people, who are on the verge of rebellion. Civilization is slowly crumbling, and it seems all hope for peace has been lost.

But now, it seems the seal the Goddess of Balance had placed upon Avalus to protect it has been broken, and the Gods are preparing to wage 

war against each other to prove their dominance, all the while the mortal plane is helpless to stop it.

But, all is not lost. For the legends speak of five ancient artifacts of tremendous power, each imbued with divine power. The prophecies hold that

if one were to find these artifacts and bring them together, they could renew the seal that held the gods back and prevent another God War.

Or, one could use those artifacts to become a god and claim the Mortal Plane for themself.

Or, perhaps, one could use their patron god’s artifact to establish said god’s dominance. 

In any event, adventurers far and wide have begun to search for these artifacts. No one knows where they are, but the mere hope of finding 

them is enough to warrant looking. The question is, who will find them first?

Edited by IcarusBen

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

I'm going to have to agree with Shadowhawk on this, because despite having played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, my knowledge of the lore and all the history is small, despite my love of the overall setting. The whole time I was reading the posts, I kept thinking "Holy Botswana Ankle Monks this is a lot of text!" But at the same time, I loved every word. So yeah, if this gets approved, I will definitely join it.

I do have a question, though, and if it was mentioned in either of the posts, I apologize. Will characters be able to become vampires or werewolves, or are those off limits?

We talked a bit among the GMs, just now; although I don't advise you to think of this as something formally confirmed, but we're inching towards "if you really want it, and the GMs think you can handle it, we'll bestow vampirism or lycanthropy on you"

-Dovydas

I'd like to clarify on my issues with the magic system, since just stating I have a problem with it helps...no one really. It's...nerfed. Heavily nerfed. I rather think "necromancer" is a grand a grand sort of title for someone who can maybe make a corpse move for a few minutes at a time, and then wait awhile before doing it again. In the games, the lore (the parts of it that aren't insane-thanks Kirkbride, I loathe you until the end of time) you see necromaners worthy of the title. With skeleton mooks, the ability to reanimate dead bodies for longer then it takes to walk down to the local 7-11.

So I'm sorta wondering where these folks are in your RPG.

Edited by Havelock Vetinari
  • Upvote 3

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

We talked a bit among the GMs, just now; although I don't advise you to think of this as something formally confirmed, but we're inching towards "if you really want it, and the GMs think you can handle it, we'll bestow vampirism or lycanthropy on you"

-Dovydas

So just to clarify: it would not be possible for a character to start with vampirism or lycanthropy. They can only contract either disease through GM approval/intervention/reward. Correct?

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

Pretty much, though since there's obviously going to be people who want to play as those species and since PCs in TES games have been able to contract viruses going back to Daggerfall, I doubt you'd have to wait very long for an opportunity to pop up tbh.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Okay, at the risk of being ridiculed, I must admit that that I've never actually played Morrowind, so I don't know if my questions are incredibly stupid or not. 

Unless the player specifically denotes their character as being a necromancer, wizard, witch, or sorcerer, they may only start with ONE ability - the listed classes may start with two. (Note: classes that can only start with one Magical ability are not prevented from learning a second later on through the use of a Spell Tome) 

Classes aren't really mentioned anywhere else in the posts, nor are they a required field in the character profile form. Is there a list of classes we have to adhere to, or is this a general term referring to a character's profession or something?

(Note: Regular potions and standard enchanted items can be purchased in shops.)

While you have a great guide explaining how magic in this game operates, there's nothing like that for potions or enchanted items. As much as I don't want to ask you guys to add even more stuff, an explanation as to what constitutes a "standard" enchantment or "regular" potion might be a good idea. 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I must admit some curiosity regarding the magic system - chiefly, for those specializing in magic, is two spells the absolute maximum you can have at any point in the game, or merely the maximum you are able to start with?

Also, Ben, please find a way to fix the formatting. I won't be able to offer you much in terms of critique until I can read your draft without getting a headache.

Edited by Ymper Trymon

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Both, kind of. The idea is to have two the possible maximum, possibly able to be fudged and adjusted later on as we see fit. If two spells maximum isn't really interesting, and if there aren't any game-breaking issues, we could up it to three to five spells maximum. I'm comfortable keeping it at two for the time being, at least until we can see how interactions regarding magic go.

By classes listed, he just meant necromancers, wizards, witches and sorcerers. He was using classes as a synonym for 'those four professions.'

-Tyler

Ah, okay. Makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Also, Alithex (the new TF RPG) WILL be up here soon for review.

You know I was wondering about that. I have not seen a PM in a while regarding it. Thinking you guys phased me out as I was not intended to be a GM :( when I was invited to the alleged conversation. I am glad to see it in the final stages. Any chance for a teaser for a fellow Cybertronian?

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

You know I was wondering about that. I have not seen a PM in a while regarding it. Thinking you guys phased me out as I was not intended to be a GM :( when I was invited to the alleged conversation. I am glad to see it in the final stages. Any chance for a teaser for a fellow Cybertronian?

I know. Work has been slow, since most of us have been otherwise busy, but it's almost done. Locations, characters, just a bit more stuff. Really, Aerixx is the glue holding us together, and he hasn't been around for a while, so work will start when he comes back. #ComeBackAerixx

Keep this in mind:

Until I see signed statements by five RPers that they will actually play a Transformers RPG and dedicate time to it, I'm not approving one.

Got it. I know we can get that many, since we have Golden Knight, Prowl, Axilus Prime, and a few others.

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

(Although the addition of a nice logo / title poster image might be nice; sorta lend to the atmosphere, y'know.)

Took you up on this and added a title logo I made (with another working title) to the original post.

Lemme tell ya, that beveling/texture on the text and symbol are a real pain but so worth it for the result.

• Upvote 1

Font looks fine, it just stretches the screen. Kind of makes it a pain to read

I'm on mobile right now, and the effect of that screen-stretching is very noticeable.

Font looks fine, it just stretches the screen. Kind of makes it a pain to read

I'm on mobile right now, and the effect of that screen-stretching is very noticeable.

Can someone post a screenshot. I can't see the problem.

I'll do you one better.

At least, this was the screen-stretching post of yours I saw.

• Upvote 2

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

So what would that entitle exactly? Monster encounters, Loot rolls?

Please read Tyler's post again.

Quoting over here so don't break the rule a 3rd time... :dead:

Sorry about that, reflex. I didn't even realize what topic I was in.

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

SO then players can say they got some draconic rune halberd from that troll guy in this cave system under that abandoned castle in this random local(Yeah you can tell I don't play the games) and that is ok with the GMs?

Onua.png

We stated in our RPG post that it is the player's duty to RP responsibly. Additionally, we included a list of items that are not typically available to players except as GM-awarded loot or treasure.

We've specifically kept our noses out of controlling every aspect of these quests and storylines so that players can develop them on their own accord, while still playing the game in a responsible manner. We've trusted players to not take this freedom to ridiculous levels. If they do, then we unfortunately have to step in and tell players "this is not responsible behaviour" which we don't really want to do.

So I didn't exactly here a yes or no. I guess the Draconic rune halberd is a player chosen option. Not that I have any idea what that would be other then some large battle axe with a stone maybe in the pummel that has some effect.

I'd hate to loose that because of some random scary mob.

Onua.png

Of course, teasing your characters with a Daedric sword is always fun, especially when they forget it while being chased by a Dwemer Centurion.

Do Dwarven weapons/armor count as "working Dwemer tech," namely crossbows?

Nope, weapons and armor are just weapons and armor. Dunno about the crossbow though. Gotta think about that a bit more.

So I didn't exactly here a yes or no. I guess the Draconic rune halberd is a player chosen option. Not that I have any idea what that would be other then some large battle axe with a stone maybe in the pummel that has some effect.

I'd hate to loose that because of some random scary mob.

If you didn't know exactly what you were asking, and weren't satisfied with the relatively straightforward answer I gave you, what was the point in asking in the first place?

well for a reference for later. Just because I don't know what I am asking doesn't mean that somebody else doesn't or that I wont later down the line. It is good to say that this was already answered so we don't pitfall into that hole later.

Onua.png

Regarding the talk in the request topic. The layout here seems (to me) like typical TES layout, lots of stuff waiting to happen. In the single player ges, when that stuff happens it can change lots of stuff. So, if it's never done, nothing changes. In this game, all the stuff can start happening via different people.

Making lots of changes and exciting things happen. That probably sounded clearer in my head though.

...but close to it

In Morrowind, regular crossbows were a lot more common. Will that logic also apply to this game?

Also, I never understood how a Dwarven crossbow was any better than a regular crossbow. If the bolts go at the same speed, then there really shouldn't be a difference in how strong each crossbow is. It's the bolts that matter, and those should be like arrows.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Also, I never understood how a Dwarven crossbow was any better than a regular crossbow. If the bolts go at the same speed, then there really shouldn't be a difference in how strong each crossbow is. It's the bolts that matter, and those should be like arrows.

You could apply the same principle to bows. All bows in Skyrim seem to fire their arrows at the same speed, so why do some do more damage than others? To be honest, I think it's just a case of Video Game Logic. When damage is counted in numbers in this way it's unlikely to be terribly realistic.

Since this is a text-based RPG, I would suggest that a higher quality bow (or crossbow) fires its arrows (or bolts) with more force (and therefore speed) and/or accuracy than a lower quality one. As for how the Enhanced Crossbow's design can give it more armour-piercing capability without modifying the bolts in any way OR simply packing more punch...I dunno, magic?  :P

Edited by Ghosthands

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Actually, the metal bows should be inferior, since they're harder to bend and thus use.

As for the crossbows, I imagine if we combined Skyrim and Morrowind logic, in terms of force & accuracy, it'd be standard crossbow, Dawnguard crossbow, heavy crossbow, Enhanced Dawnguard crossbow, and then the two Dwemer ones.

Still, I do find it a little bit unfair to crossbow users since, say, swordsmen and bowmen can take the Dwemer swords and longbows, but crossbowmen can't find Dwemer crossbows.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Except there's a pretty big difference. There's no evidence that Dwarven swords, axes, bows etc are anything more than just swords, axes, bows etc that happen to be made out of Dwemer metal. No special mechanisms.

Dwemer crossbows, on the other hand, clearly use a mechanical design that is different to ordinary 'market' crossbows, and that is presumably what gives them their edge.

In other words, the crossbows are special Dwemer technology, whereas other weapons are just ordinary weapons. Nothing unfair about that.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

I just looked at various pictures from the games, and... the Dawnguard crossbow and the Dwemer Skyrim crossbow look nearly identical in terms of their mechanism, just made from different materials, and in Morrowind, the Dwemer crossbow used the same model as the steel crossbow. The only difference between them are their stats, which is an arbitary number.

I just can't see why a Dwemer crossbow is any different from a regular steel crossbow in anything but being made of Dwarven metals, which shouldn't make any difference because the bolts are being propelled at the same speed.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Well a Bow's ability to fire and at what power has to do with both the quality of the bow itself and the strength of the person pulling the draw string. Though after a point either the Bow breaks under the strain or the drawer cannot pull back any more. Not sure exactly if tensile strength has a direct correlation to projectile speed or simply power. That being said Crossbows do not have this characteristic as they are mechanically drawn and fired. So unless there is a magical or mechanical aspect to the bow or bolts I don't really see in an RP here where there would be an increase in power from one design to the next.

The same above with Melee weapons such as Swords or Axes as with a normal drawn bow. They can be improved upon based on quality and the output of the user.

Onua.png