The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

I tried manually putting in spaces, I tried centering the text...

Formatting from WPS to BZP is awful.

I've been finding a few other RP concepts. I've got one for a RuneScape RP, and one for another original concept about aliens invading New York and the mafia leading a rebellion.

I've been playing a lot of RuneScape lately, so I might try and write up a quick little thing for RuneScape.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

can we have, like, actual runescape usernames as our PCs? because nobody in runescape has a normal name

-Tyler

Eh... probably not. Unless you're like me and every other RSRPer ever and have a username that can be turned into a character name.

do we start in tutorial island

is guthix still alive

will there be bots

IS THERE FREE TRADE?

a). Maybe. Depends on if everyone wants to or not.

b). Yes.

c). Well, I suppose so... Botany Bay is a real location in Gielinor.

d). Only if your character is older than 17 hours.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Tutorial Island is a must have in a game that wants to capture the charm of old RuneScape. So are dorky usernames.

ODINFISH 

-Tyler

I'm sure you could turn Odinfish into a good name.

For example, Odin Fischer.

But... wait a minute. Why is it okay to have a fixed starting point in a RuneScape RP, but not a Vvardenfell RP?

Like, seriously. Stop changing the rules, I can't keep track of them all.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Your attitude at the start of every new game never, ever helps. Especially since I'm actually relatively enthusiastic about this one. But fine, I'll bite.

Vvardenfell is your typical fantasy muh elves setting and Tutorial Island is Tutorial Island. When everyone picked up RuneScape in 4th grade, we shared our Tutorial Island experiences with everyone. It's a classic bit of childhood nostalgia and throwing it away is going to turn a lot of people off.

-Tyler

• Upvote 4

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

There are no rules being posited or suggested, the issue of a starting point is entirely case-by-case based.

In the case of RS, Tutorial Island is cool and fun and serves as a good intro.

In the case of TES, the tutorial and character creation process can be a drag. Does anyone -really- enjoy going through Helgan or the sewers?

• Upvote 1

...but close to it

Well, if you did enjoy doing the TES tutorials, it can stand as an example of taking the forums pulse and planning accordingly. Regardless of personal feelings.

If the proposal for a TES Hub/starting zone was shot down, roll with it.

If the proposal for a RS hub/starting zone was well received, roll with it.

...but close to it

Having a set starting point makes my life a Freneskae of a lot easier... until we get to the map.

By Saradomin's beard, that map.

Okay, so, despite me going with OSRS as my timeframe, I'm using the RS3 world map because it has all the land.

EXCEPT TUTORIAL ISLAND. It's not there, so I have to go and move it.

So, I have two questions; 1. where do I put Tutorial Island (can't be south of the Wizard's Tower, not enough room, I'm thinking south of Mos Le Harmless and Harmony) and 2. does anyone have the font used for the RS3 world map?

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

But... how do people get to it... Unless...

Dear lord, everyone's characters are extra-dimensional creatures from the realm of Tutorial Island!

Or, I could just put it somewhere to the west/east/south. The Occam's razor solution.

Also, I thought you got teleported off the island. And how does Vannaka get off and back onto the island if it's a one-way boat?

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Not everything has to be logically consistent?

giphy.gif

In other news, I've got a map! EDIT: And a download link for people with anti-virus!

Now to revise my rough draft and post it here.

EDIT: The first rough draft of RuneScape: Guthix Rising (working title) is here; https://www.dropbox.com/s/dex5225v24w4img/RuneScape.pdf?dl=0

Edited by IcarusBen

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Why should I play this game and not simply play Runescape? Cut out the middleman, so to speak. I understand this is only a first draft, but it doesn't seem to offer anything that the game itself cannot. You've included vague limitations on skill that resemble the levels system (a type of system that doesn't work in text-based RPGs, imo), and given us freedom to be anything, just like the game itself... so what's different? What's new? Why should I want to play?

• Upvote 3

To Tsumugu; Depends. How'd your character get the ring?

To Eyru: a). it's less of a stats system and more of an overview of what your character can and cannot do. I wouldn't dare limit it to stats and the like. As to why you'd play my game and not RuneScape, I have a story I want to develop that'll unfold over time.

To Aikuro:

jesus_facepalm.jpg

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Is there another "safer" link to that map? I got a MacAfee Site Advisor warning when I clicked it.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

So the only reason we're playing this game and not Runescape is for your story? I hope it's a good story. If Tyler and Alex made a baby and that baby grew up playing the BZPRPG before going back in time to help his two fathers create an OTCRPG and all it could offer was a good story, I'd still be doubtful.

• Upvote 3

Yeah I got a Virus that tried to crash my computer and succeeded in locking it down less than a week after purchasing it because I ignored a McAfee warning. Had to pay nearly $1,000 for a $600 computer because of that fact. So not making that mistake again. If they say it is a "no go" false or otherwise I am taking their word and going the other way...

Anyway thanks for posting another link to the Map. Is Runescape something like Elder Scrolls or Champions of Norrath: Realms of Everquest? I remember Champions and playing as The Wood Elf Ranger along with both the Vah Shir berserkers and Iksar shamans. It is one of the few games where I actually played an elf. Partly due to it being the only ranger class so I was forced to.

Yeah I've heard of RuneScape and other MMOs back in the day but have not really followed them...

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

At one point I had adamite armor (I think thats what it was called) and then there was an update and I lost all my levels in defence.

I was not happy.

With this game, I would be happy because of dat treecutting guild.

Which is why I will play this and not runescape.