• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Photo

The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

• Please log in to reply
6429 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Paragon of Demacia

Paragon of Demacia
  • Members
  • Master of Fear Frenzied

• 5,878 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 15 2011 - 10:43 PM

FALLOUT IN AUSTRALIA. You could do that. A new world where you get killed by fleas and mutated honey badgers. Or... well... just... not FO3. Brotherhood of Jedi with their whole May the Steel be with you thing was lame.

#42 Offline I Am Ultron Six

I Am Ultron Six
  • Members
  • Senior OTC RPG Judge

• 14,671 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 16 2011 - 04:40 AM

A problem with the Highlander RPG is that it revolves around the players gradually killing each other off. Thats no fun for the players who get killed, who will basically be excluded from the moment they die. And thats to say nothing of the massive out-of-control fights you'll get as some players just refuse to die

I am Ultron Six, a cybernetic intelligence created by Doctor Henry Pym. My imperative is to bring peace and order to this world. I am about to fulfil that imperative; for the extinction of humanity…begins now.

the_ultron_imperative.jpg

Soon the earth will no longer be habitable for any biological organism: Man, woman, child, plant, animal, fungus or bacterium. All life will cease to exist. This is not a threat, there is nothing you can do to stop it. The process has already begun. I receive no pleasure in this, it is simply the only solution. There must be peace and order, the end of life on earth will ensure that. Goodbye.

#43 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 16 2011 - 04:46 AM

... I honestly can't think of a way to handle this in a TBRPG, besides instituting random dice rolls.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."
"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

#44 Offline Archer Vonn

Archer Vonn
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 28 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 16 2011 - 01:34 PM

i could be mean and suggest that just let the better RPer win. it would be hard to grow, definitely, but it would be motivation to write meaningful posts and not just nonsensical drivel.

Pokemon Y

Super Smash Bros

3711-9364-3152

#45 Offline Paragon of Demacia

Paragon of Demacia
  • Members

• 5,878 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 16 2011 - 02:02 PM

Well, why not just do the dice thing if people ABSOLUTELY won't figure it out themselves? You can ask someone if they want to fight, skirmish, etc, but when it starts to get nasty, roll. No bias that way. Because the idea of people being able to not get hurt/killed when they don't want to in a RPG where you're supposed to hurt people is ridiculous.

#46 Offline Transairion

Transairion
  • Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 1,811 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 16 2011 - 10:11 PM

We need a new Transformers RPG. Now. Someone make it happen. *puts $100 in pocket as downpayment* :lookaround:

Posted Image

The light becomes the dark...

#47 Offline Comment Expired

Comment Expired
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Ice Warrior

• 1,925 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 16 2011 - 10:34 PM

*confiscates the money* No bribes! Concerning Transformers, it really depends on what theme you want for it.

Tumblr: Where facts and logic go to die.

#48 Offline Archer Vonn

Archer Vonn
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 28 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 16 2011 - 11:22 PM

transformers could be cool. i would play that.

Pokemon Y

Super Smash Bros

3711-9364-3152

#49 Offline Necro

Necro
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Ice Warrior

• 1,910 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 01:47 AM

The Transformers RPGs were always too hectic for my taste. Back when I tried to join in one, by the time I got my post finished(Not even two paragraphs, either) there was half a page of posts, which made my post not make sense, and themselves often didn't.

Posted Image

#50 Offline Comment Expired

Comment Expired
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Ice Warrior

• 1,925 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 04:04 AM

Want to do a sandbox Don't want to do space Wanna be a drummer- er, Fantasy sandbox, each player makes a kingdom to fight other kingdoms.... I guess the trick is finding something interesting to do with it. Do you guys prefer high fantasy or low fantasy?

#51 Offline Toast of Awesomeness

Toast of Awesomeness
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 226 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 06:37 AM

Umm, what's the difference there?

Well, would you just look at that?

Posted Image

I'm a piece of toast.

#52 Offline I Am Ultron Six

I Am Ultron Six
  • Members
  • Senior OTC RPG Judge

• 14,671 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 06:52 AM

High fantasy is stuff set in a different world, like Lord of the Rings, low fantasy is stuff that is in our world and more grounded, like Harry Potter

Edited by The Power that Is, Oct 17 2011 - 06:52 AM.

I am Ultron Six, a cybernetic intelligence created by Doctor Henry Pym. My imperative is to bring peace and order to this world. I am about to fulfil that imperative; for the extinction of humanity…begins now.

Soon the earth will no longer be habitable for any biological organism: Man, woman, child, plant, animal, fungus or bacterium. All life will cease to exist. This is not a threat, there is nothing you can do to stop it. The process has already begun. I receive no pleasure in this, it is simply the only solution. There must be peace and order, the end of life on earth will ensure that. Goodbye.

#53 Offline Vak Il Mio Amore

Vak Il Mio Amore
  • Members
  • Aquatic Guardian

• 395 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 07:09 AM

Want to do a sandbox Don't want to do space Wanna be a drummer- er, Fantasy sandbox, each player makes a kingdom to fight other kingdoms.... I guess the trick is finding something interesting to do with it. Do you guys prefer high fantasy or low fantasy?

For awhile a couple years ago, I was helping somebody with a high fantasy sandbox RPG for this site, but I guess they never finished and it never saw fruition. In a sandbox, High Fantasy is the way to go in my opinion ^-^

#54 Offline Toast of Awesomeness

Toast of Awesomeness
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 226 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 07:54 AM

They both sound fun, but high fantasy sounds more sandboxy.

Posted Image

I'm a piece of toast.

#55 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 08:56 AM

Low fantasy. I'd love it if it felt like Conan The Barbarian(Books, not film) Also, if you don't want to do space, I could run an IL style RPG...

Edited by Your Friend Doctor Robert, Oct 17 2011 - 08:57 AM.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."
"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

#56 Offline Lord Kaitan de Storms

Lord Kaitan de Storms
  • Members
  • Emerging Mata Nuian Protector

• 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 10:19 AM

An IL-styled high fantasy RPG would be AMAZING.
Posted Image
If you like this banner, please feel free to add it to your signature.
QUOTE(GregF @ Oct 13 2010, 03:21 AM)
Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.
Do you think you have what it take to climb... Up the Carrion Stair!
Credit to Toa Zehvor MT for the banner!

#57 Offline Paragon of Demacia

Paragon of Demacia
  • Members

• 5,878 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 01:32 PM

High fantasy is stuff set in a different world, like Lord of the Rings, low fantasy is stuff that is in our world and more grounded, like Harry Potter

That's Urban Fantasy, though I'd hesitate to call HP even that, since you don't really touch on modern world v magic. Low Fantasy is more ASoIaF. Less on everyone having wizards and slinging spells.

#58 Offline Niflheim

Niflheim
  • Members
  • Toa

• 130 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 06:09 PM

Second Draft of Spacelands, Dark Times. Opinions and Criticism is welcome and accepted.
Spoiler

Edited by Niflheim, Oct 19 2011 - 09:08 AM.

#59 Offline Hanako Herupa

Hanako Herupa
  • Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 1,866 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 06:23 PM

Honestly a high fantasy would be great, personally though if I did something like it I'd probably use the Elder Scrolls series, preferably Morrowind. I'm going to PM my Co-GM for my project that's still under wraps. If he doesn't answer within a week I am probably going to start work on the World of Awesome RPG. EDIT: Uh Niflheim, unless something is wrong with computer or browser, that spoiler doesn't seem to be working.

Edited by The Mask, Oct 17 2011 - 06:25 PM.

gallery_99567_147_39590.jpg

#60 Offline Niflheim

Niflheim
  • Members
  • Toa

• 130 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 07:06 PM

That is very strange.....I'll edit it. O_o Edit: and yet again, Coding gets messed up.

Edited by Niflheim, Oct 17 2011 - 07:53 PM.

#61 Offline I Am Ultron Six

I Am Ultron Six
  • Members
  • Senior OTC RPG Judge

• 14,671 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 08:07 PM

Are the Voimkasus given their own section under Factions like that because they are their own faction? Or did you mean to put them in Species? They seem to fit better there even if they are multi-cultural

#62 Offline Niflheim

Niflheim
  • Members
  • Toa

• 130 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 08:19 PM

Võimkasus are meant to be a type of people that have elemental powers. The coding is still getting messed up, but I just put them under a separate section to describe what they are. I'm playing around with Edit mode to get the Java BB Codes down.

#63 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 08:28 PM

Just tossing random ideas around here, I've been thinking some more about a Warhammer 40,000 RPG, mainly toning down the grimdark to make it both fun to play and suitable for this audience.

-Rover

#64 Offline Archer Vonn

Archer Vonn
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 28 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 08:36 PM

i just wanna go ahead and say right now that you're trying to do too much. elements in a science fiction setting is a little ridiculous, and should stay in camelot-esque genres. you also have a -lot- of factions, much more then i care to try and memorize. i also want to say that having -all- the factions paragraphs isn't very appealing at all. i haven't given it a full read through, so take my comments with a grain of salt, i'll try and get a fuller review to you shortly. edit: ok i read more than i thought i did- so to sum it up, it's super awesome aliens that have no weapons and a buncha humans, and they're all in space?

Edited by ~JC~, Oct 17 2011 - 08:38 PM.

Pokemon Y

Super Smash Bros

3711-9364-3152

#65 Offline Niflheim

Niflheim
  • Members
  • Toa

• 130 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 09:06 PM

i just wanna go ahead and say right now that you're trying to do too much. elements in a science fiction setting is a little ridiculous, and should stay in camelot-esque genres. you also have a -lot- of factions, much more then i care to try and memorize. i also want to say that having -all- the factions paragraphs isn't very appealing at all. i haven't given it a full read through, so take my comments with a grain of salt, i'll try and get a fuller review to you shortly. edit: ok i read more than i thought i did- so to sum it up, it's super awesome aliens that have no weapons and a buncha humans, and they're all in space?

Võimkasus are very rare, and thus, all aliens all have guns, a military, spaceships, etc. They aren't very prominent, I only added a section to explain them. In all, it's more like science fantasy, not sci-fi.And five factions is not a lot. Think of the real world. Not all wars are two-sided, you know.

#66 Offline Kragghle

Kragghle
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,079 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 09:13 PM

:kaukau:I kind of miss having my name attached to this topic :P .Anyway, even though I don't plan on joining RPGs for a long time, perhaps a few years from now I might come back to these forums and start one of my own called IDES.In the meantime, there is something else that does tease me. The idea revolves around nerds, and all PCs have to be nerds. It sprouts from a continuity that has gradually been growing over time from my own imaginary friends. Although the idea isn't solid enough yet that I can take several steps with them, I do think that the general feel that these imaginary friends and their world produces has a lot of potential.I've mentioned things about these people in the past, back in the old forums. Their names are Ian, Ivan, Ike, and Io. Four-I's. If there was to be an RPG inspired by them, then it would look something like this:Imax College is filled with insane genuises. The most exceptional of these are Ian, Ivan, Ike, and Io, but even in the shadow of their prominence, there are other great minds that give nerds a good name. From the theatre nerds to the math nerds, Imax has them all, and there is no shortage of brainpower. Nor is there any lack of eccentricity. Everyone walks around wearing bow ties, even the girls, has a signature nerdy catch phrase, and for some reason the vast majority of people on campus have names that start with the letter "I". If you're still reading this, surely you have what it takes to play one of these nerds.Username:Character name: (kudos if it starts with I)Color of bowtie:Other nerd attire:Other physical descriptions:Signature quote:Type of nerd:Psychological profile:Ambitions:Background: (I have no problem if you put nothing here)Relations with other characters:So the basic pitch would be to play a nerd or two in Imax College. I suppose I would detail what it would be like just to give things a start, such as what the college president is like and what the campus is like, but then the plot gets rather interesting, because I would imagine that some of the nerds, such as Four-I's, will come up with big inventions that will shape the plot, and I know for sure that I could create an instant plot-point with Ian, Ivan, Ike, and Io much better than I could with the last RPG I started which focused on the rather inflexible Amakor struggles. The whole theme of the RPG would more or less be playful creativity. That, and explosions.It still a vague idea, but I think that it has a lot of promise, and meanwhile it's a good thing that I will give myself plenty of time before I get back into RPing. The wonderful thing about my Four-I's friends is that they were never intended to have a continuity other than the basic aspects of their character and their relationships with each other, since part of the point to having imaginary friends is that they're the people you need them to be in any life situation or any fantasy, so it's flexible enough to be converted into an RPG.Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh

Posted Image
Will you give all you can give so that our banner may advance?

Profiles

#67 Offline Archer Vonn

Archer Vonn
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 28 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 10:05 PM

Võimkasus are very rare, and thus, all aliens all have guns, a military, spaceships, etc. They aren't very prominent, I only added a section to explain them. In all, it's more like science fantasy, not sci-fi.And five factions is not a lot. Think of the real world. Not all wars are two-sided, you know.

k just tryna help buddy gotcha. talking about each species' technological advancements would be a good idea, because there's the star wars level, and then theres the halo level, and in sci-fi (sci-fa? lol) it's important to be able to distinguish. and while five factions is a lot, it certainly isn't ideal, and can be off-putting.

Pokemon Y

Super Smash Bros

3711-9364-3152

#68 Offline Derpman!

Derpman!
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 1,113 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 11:04 PM

Personally I love the Nerd RPG idea, but just because you're jealous of my bow tie collection doesn't mean you can associate nerds with bow ties. ;P I also like the idea of the Fallout RPG and the High Fantasy RPG Wrack suggested.

"No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to right now, so let me clue you in.

I am not in danger. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot,

and you think that of me? No, I am the one who knocks."

#69 Offline Comment Expired

Comment Expired
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Ice Warrior

• 1,925 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 11:17 PM

nerds RPG

Define "nerd".

#70 Offline Lord Kini Hawkeye

Lord Kini Hawkeye
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Defeated

• 3,513 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 17 2011 - 11:28 PM

An IL-styled high fantasy RPG would be AMAZING.

I actually did create one, way back, a few months before the downtime, with Vak of A Thousand Suns. It actually had gotten off the ground, a bit, but i never sent it in to Sisen for approval, so i never actually was able to post it up. sadly i no longer have the draft in a word doc, but thank god for Archives. If anyone wants i can post it up... it'll take a rediculous amount of room but someone might be able to fashion something... playable from it. Keep in mind though that if i do, the state it would be in, while old, is the one that was approved by every judge cept one. =P

The worlds have now learned

Of the worst yet to come

On the brink of an end, a Boy learns to crawl

{/BZPRPG Profiles\}  :.: {/COMIC: Eljay: The Becoming\} :.: {/EPIC: Danger Close\} :.: {/EPIC: Wings\}

[There is Invisible Text here]
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

{/Seven Lives, Two Faces\}

Don't pass up this chance, oh go tear down the walls

No gods will watching, no one cares enough at all

These worlds need now an ending, as they did at the start

But I'll keep on pretending, I won't

Go...

#71 Offline Bundalings

Bundalings
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,234 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Oct 18 2011 - 01:18 AM

In regards to the Halo RPG up for approval, I want to make a squad of Bullfrog-esque (jetpack using) ODSTs. But I don't want to manage so many characters, so if someone wants to go in halvesies with me I have ideas for three characters. Send me a PM and we can have ideas at one another. Edit: I just spotted a mild error in the Halo RPG. I'm pretty sure Zealots rank higher than Generals. Also the rank of Ultra is missing.

Edited by Bundalings, Oct 18 2011 - 11:38 AM.

skiddo.png.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

#72 Offline Niflheim

Niflheim
  • Members
  • Toa

• 130 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 18 2011 - 11:02 AM

k just tryna help buddy gotcha. talking about each species' technological advancements would be a good idea, because there's the star wars level, and then theres the halo level, and in sci-fi (sci-fa? lol) it's important to be able to distinguish. and while five factions is a lot, it certainly isn't ideal, and can be off-putting.

I plan on making a Technology section, complete with technological advancements, common placed technology, who invented it, etc.And I'm sticking with the five major factions. It worked for some other old RPGs, so it should work here. I remember seeing RPGs with more than that and they were successful.

#73 Offline Chibinuva

Chibinuva
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Stone Champion Defeated

• 2,737 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 18 2011 - 04:10 PM

Anyone interested in making a Sonic the Hedgehog RPG? I'd make one, but I don't exactly want to make one myself, partially since I don't have to deal with NPCs. However, if someone would like to work together with me on a Sonic RPG, that would work too.
Posted ImagePosted Image <<Newest Chibi: Nuparu Inika

#74 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 18 2011 - 05:27 PM

Those who would like to play an Interstellar Line like RPG, I've just written up a system for keeping a lid on the size of everyone's fleet, and at the same time encouraging war and expansion. Any thoughts?
Spoiler

Edited by Your Friend Doctor Robert, Oct 18 2011 - 05:52 PM.

-Rover

#75 Offline Toast of Awesomeness

Toast of Awesomeness
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 226 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 18 2011 - 05:37 PM

The point costs for the ships seem kinda high, to be honest. That'd be an incredibly small fleet, smaller than what they'd actually be able to field I'd think.

Posted Image

I'm a piece of toast.

#76 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 18 2011 - 05:39 PM

I'm deliberately trying for fleets of five or ten ships here. Although I might cut them all in half...

-Rover

#77 Offline Kothra

Kothra
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Ice Warrior

• 1,977 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 18 2011 - 05:41 PM

You said complex. It really isn'tAnd I actually like that system.And it keeps fleet sizes pretty small, which is better for roleplay and tactics because it is more manageable. Otherwise it's just 'X ships fire at enemy' and nothig actually happens.

Edited by Revolutionary Saint Kothra, Oct 18 2011 - 05:42 PM.

Posted Image

#78 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 18 2011 - 05:52 PM

Okay, I'm halving each cost on the list. This is way to small, I did the math.

-Rover

#79 Offline Kothra

Kothra
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Ice Warrior

• 1,977 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 18 2011 - 05:57 PM

Well with larger numbers of planets it wouldn't be too bad, but whatever.Also build time for ships. Because pages/posts didn't work out too well.And I'd advise against using halves for ship values. I don't want to bother with decimals. Just double the values for industry and adjust the ship values to balance them better.
Posted Image

#80 Offline Veeci

Veeci
  • Members
  • Toa

• 149 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 18 2011 - 06:02 PM

I must say, I whole-heartidly approve of this system. It's much more realistic and, as Kothra said, enables the use of detailed, one-to-one strategy. So, is anyone actually currently working on a IL-esque Rp?

Edited by Veeci, Oct 18 2011 - 06:03 PM.

Imagine, a room, awash in gasoline. And there are two implacable enemies in that room. One of them has nine-thousand matches. The other has seven-thousand matches. Each of them is concerned about who's ahead, who's stronger. - Carl Sagan
Formerly Vorox Chief.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users