• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

• Please log in to reply
6414 replies to this topic

#201 Offline Paragon of Demacia

Paragon of Demacia
  • Members
  • Master of Fear Frenzied

• 5,878 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 05:22 PM

Because personality and character don't matter.

#202 Offline Kitania

Kitania
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • pretty pretty princess

• 8,431 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 05:34 PM

Moving on... Am I supposed to send my judges-approved RPG to Than via PM or wait until he stops by the topic?

You'll have to send the TBRPG to Than to get it approved, though adding the statement "This was approved by all the Judges, and now it's up to your authority" usually would remove any possible confusion in doing so.

rainbow-flag2.jpgnezumixsion.jpgrainbow-flag2.jpg

#203 Offline Lord Kaitan de Storms

Lord Kaitan de Storms
  • Members
  • Emerging Mata Nuian Protector

• 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 05:39 PM

Actually, because nations hold greater interest than individuals, IMO.

Moving on... Am I supposed to send my judges-approved RPG to Than via PM or wait until he stops by the topic?

You'll have to send the TBRPG to Than to get it approved, though adding the statement "This was approved by all the Judges, and now it's up to your authority" usually would remove any possible confusion in doing so.

Okay, thank you.

Posted Image
If you like this banner, please feel free to add it to your signature.
QUOTE(GregF @ Oct 13 2010, 03:21 AM)
Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.
Do you think you have what it take to climb... Up the Carrion Stair!
Credit to Toa Zehvor MT for the banner!

#204 Offline Engineer Alexandra Humva

Engineer Alexandra Humva
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 2,681 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 06:25 PM

Thing about Interstellar Line was, no one wanted to lose, and thus no one could. Our wars were not for fun; sure, in the beginning they might of been, but eventually it became two players fighting over who's civilization is better. The wars became personal, and thus when they ended it, in my opinion -which in this case doesn't entirely count as I wasn't around for the big wars-, it was more anticlimatic than anything else. The galactic wars were far too much like WWII; there was D-days, but eventually someone just gave up because they no longer had the will. And then their race was reduced to rubble and they basically lost, the victors eating up their empire. IL was a game where losing was a possibility; and no one wants to lose. As best put by Necro, paraphrased since I don't have the exact quote, "You pour your creativity into your species, as does everyone else, and then you've got to go stomp on someone else's idea of an ideal society. It's way to personal." That's my only worry about this remake; that it's going end up like the IL of old, where we have to be dragged kicking and screaming through the sand to wage war against utter #####, and then afterwards have two hundred pages of politics and cattiness. EDIT: BZP still blocks the j word? That's... kinda sad. :|

Edited by Alex Humva, Oct 20 2011 - 06:26 PM.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

#205 Offline Lloyd: the White Wolf

Lloyd: the White Wolf
  • Members
  • Toa Metru United

• 8,522 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 06:46 PM

Solution: Have something like modern geopolitics. Except for completely off-the-wall nutcases, no one wants to go to war, because that would damage their repute in international relations (Incidentally, Right of Conquest is currently considered one of the worst of all war crimes, but you can't really enforce it as a crime if the conqueror wins). In this case, perhaps there could be something like an international forum for people to air their grievances in before military action becomes an issue. I know that, in the event I go to war, I will be offering peace treaties at regular intervals (unless we run into Space Nazis). In addition, since so many people don't like to have to write up a new profile when they lose, we could exploit the large numbers we'll be dealing with and say that, in the unlikely event that a race gets completely obliterated down to its homeworld, that a few survivors managed to escape the genocide and use what they took with them to make a new homeworld. :w:

#206 Offline Engineer Alexandra Humva

Engineer Alexandra Humva
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 2,681 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 06:51 PM

Yeah, the situation you described? That was IL for a painful two hundred plus pages. It isn't fun without war, because otherwise you're RPing a politician in a courtroom. That isn't fun to play or read, as I came to figure out as I caught up on those said two hundred plus pages. No war, no fun. Also, I was always taught -and observed- that real world nations didn't go to war anymore because the other guy has nukes, and if any semi-civilized nation goes to war it kicks off the nuclear holocaust.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

#207 Offline Lloyd: the White Wolf

• Members
  • Toa Metru United

• 8,522 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 06:55 PM

Well, I happen to like politicking. ^_^ But if you have a problem because you don't want eternal war, but you also think it's boring without war, I'm not seeing a middle ground here. Perhaps this is the wrong RPG? (I'm trying to make it so that an unequivocal end to the wars which will inevitably pop up periodically will be amenable to everyone, including the loser.) :w:

#208 Offline Engineer Alexandra Humva

Engineer Alexandra Humva
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 2,681 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 06:59 PM

I wasn't saying I personally have a problem with slamming someone's ideal society into the concrete; I'm saying other people wouldn't like their species getting curbstomped. Unending war is no fun; nor is unending politics. To put it another way, I'm not objecting to the morals, just pointing them out.

voidstars.png

#209 Offline Lloyd: the White Wolf

• Members
  • Toa Metru United

• 8,522 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 07:03 PM

Well, I agree that completely obliterating someone else's race into obliterated obliteration is not fair to them, considering all the work, hence my suggestion that we could say that there were survivors who fled elsewhere. :w:

#210 Offline Engineer Alexandra Humva

Engineer Alexandra Humva
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 2,681 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 07:06 PM

And then what? Your civilization is destroyed, with only rag-tag survivors to continue. Your empire is split up and given to the victors, and you are left with one world, never to gain any power again unless you manage to play off of the hospitality of another player. It'd be an extremely tough uphill battle; hardly impossible, but extremely long and arduous.

voidstars.png

#211 Offline Lloyd: the White Wolf

• Members
  • Toa Metru United

• 8,522 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 07:09 PM

Well, I'm assuming they've glassed your homeworld, so you'd probably start somewhere out in the boondocks of the Orion Arm (you mentioned it would take years to fully colonize, so there'll be some space). Of course, one of the things that drives me up the wall is that I literally have no option when capturing planets except genocide. What I want to do is take over the planet and institute reforms and goodwill projects to make the populace like me, and then assimilate them into my empire. The problem with that is, according to Xom, I'd be giving another race a huge enclave within my empire, and of course the player who controls them is going to make them rebel. Even after I give them all sorts of humanitarian aid and fix all their cities and etc. :uhuh: :w:

#212 Offline Archer Vonn

Archer Vonn
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 28 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 07:25 PM

Actually, because nations hold greater interest than individuals, IMO.

can't develop a nation.

tu whit, tu whoo

#213 Offline Lloyd: the White Wolf

• Members
  • Toa Metru United

• 8,522 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 07:33 PM

No, but you can have characters who work for that nation that you can develop. Like I said before, Clancy-esque writing. :w:

#214 Offline Necro

Necro
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Ice Warrior

• 1,910 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 07:41 PM

You can definitely have characterization within a nation/planet-based game like this. It's just not as in-detail as it is with single-character RPGs. It's workable, you just have to think, and I say that as a fan of character-driven works.

Posted Image

#215 Offline Archer Vonn

Archer Vonn
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 28 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 08:02 PM

gonna go right ahead and say that developing specific characters in an rpg where you play as an entire species might be a little beside the point.

tu whit, tu whoo

#216 Offline Lloyd: the White Wolf

• Members
  • Toa Metru United

• 8,522 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 08:04 PM

Well, if you want to you can, if you don't want to you don't have to. That's the beauty. :w:

#217 Offline Necro

Necro
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Ice Warrior

• 1,910 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 08:09 PM

*shrug* Endless delegations never get anything done. At the end of the day, you need at least one leader. It's only natural that they're not going to be a vapid shell of a character.

Posted Image

#218 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 09:23 PM

Well, it happened in Interstellar Line. Everyone had an ambassador, who usually just spoke with their voice, but for me, I created a Syrrinx who had all sorts of important roles within Syrrinx society. Dying twice didn't even stop her. In any case, go ahead and create one or two characters, but don't go overboard.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."
"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

#219 Offline Vak Il Mio Amore

Vak Il Mio Amore
  • Members
  • Aquatic Guardian

• 395 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 09:25 PM

Why not just meet a middle ground and do what console/computer RPGs tend to do? Huge, faceless empires with very few named faces who are necesarry for delegation and what have you; basically how IL was if I understand it right. However, have the addition of a limited number of "Hero" classes, or unique characters who would operate separate of a regular unit, and could behave differently from most of the Empire being Roleplayed- It would help players get a feel for the race's personality in general through the expression of a few unique characters, or what have you. This would be more effective in a Fantasy setting than Deep Space, but having Boba Fett-esque characters with unique ships and the like could pull it off. ^This was all said with very little knowledge of IL; for all I know, there could have been hero classes.

#220 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 09:27 PM

There weren't. I don't want to set limits, but keep things to heads of state, military leaders, and prominent citizens/subjects/what have you.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."
"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

#221 Offline Paragon of Demacia

Paragon of Demacia
  • Members
  • Master of Fear Frenzied

• 5,878 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 09:30 PM

Vak, that's actually what I was planning to do, should I write this medieval thinger up. Player Characters does the wetwork. So if Faction X wants Leader Y assassinated, he'd call for players in his own faction instead of calling up Generic Commando Team 2.

#222 Offline Vak Il Mio Amore

Vak Il Mio Amore
  • Members
  • Aquatic Guardian

• 395 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 09:30 PM

EDIT- This was a response to Dr Robert, didn't see your message at the time, Undying :P Just clarifying to avoid confusion. Well what I'm thinking is having a limited number of "unique citizens"/Hero Class units would help the need to have unique characters within a massive Empire, such as an Arbiter for the Covenant or Samus for the GMC, etc. Just those unique characters that everyone recognizes and knows to avoid on the field of battle for their pure prowess. If they're portrayed as this Hero Class, it'll help develop the Empire as a whole and allow for a bit of unique-character interactions or rivalries. Anywho, that's just my thoughts ^_^

Edited by Gladiator Vak, Oct 20 2011 - 09:32 PM.

#223 Offline Lloyd: the White Wolf

• Members
  • Toa Metru United

• 8,522 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 09:33 PM

Makes sense to me. Of course, it'd be optional. :w:

#224 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 09:35 PM

That'll be entirely roleplay; I don't want to assign numbers or profiles to individual people. Also, Final Draft
Spoiler

Edited by Your Friend Doctor Robert, Oct 21 2011 - 08:01 PM.

-Rover

#225 Offline Vak Il Mio Amore

Vak Il Mio Amore
  • Members
  • Aquatic Guardian

• 395 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 09:37 PM

Oh yes, completely optional. Some people may prefer a Caeser's Legion approach, where just about everyone is faceless except perhaps the Leader or their main delegates, so that they don't get too attached to a unit they may lose. Where as others, like myself, would totally like having a hero or two in there that's iconic to us of our Empire ^_^

#226 Offline Lloyd: the White Wolf

• Members
  • Toa Metru United

• 8,522 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 09:40 PM

Looks good, time to send it to the Judges. By the way, for those of us who chose to start with a few systems instead of ready colonizers, how many systems do we get? :w:

#227 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 09:43 PM

Let me edit that answer in

-Rover

#228 Offline Kothra

Kothra
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Ice Warrior

• 1,977 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 09:47 PM

I was talking with Alex about the maps: the way he set up the burnspace (and especially the 'sweetspace'), didn't quite fit with what you had described, and so we were certain you would reject them.But you didn't.So if possible, could you explain the maps?
Posted Image

#229 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 09:50 PM

The gulfs of Burnspace are essentially walls; you cannot Jump across those walls to stars on the other side. By contrast, the Sweetspace streams are basically highways; you can get in on any point along those, and get off on any point as well... Wait. I just decided I hate the gameplay ramification behind those two. Waiting on new maps guys. PMing you Humvee.

-Rover

#230 Offline Kothra

Kothra
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Ice Warrior

• 1,977 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 09:54 PM

Forget my latest PM then.Thank you for revising this. I wasn't too fond of it.
Posted Image

#231 Offline Lloyd: the White Wolf

• Members
  • Toa Metru United

• 8,522 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 09:56 PM

Same to my most recent PM. I offer my help mapmaking if need be as well. :w:

#232 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 09:56 PM

To be perfectly clear, aside from the vast ring of Burnspace surrounding the Starscape Clusters, Burnspace should be areas no more than a few thousand kilometers wide.

-Rover

#233 Offline Lloyd: the White Wolf

• Members
  • Toa Metru United

• 8,522 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 10:04 PM

...That's making them essentially invisible. The Orion-Cygnus Arm a region of space that is 3,500 light years across and 10,000 light years long. "Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space."Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Space is the hole that we are in.Dr. James Van Allen You have a lot of room to work with. :w:

#234 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 10:10 PM

They wouldn't show up on the map, no, but they'd be a constant figure in a Solar System. You could hide things like Starbases in there so the enemy couldn't warp to them Also, I listened to the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy Radio Drama. Yeah.

-Rover

#235 Offline Lloyd: the White Wolf

• Members
  • Toa Metru United

• 8,522 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 10:19 PM

Sorry if I sound like I'm nitpicking. it's my way of showing I like something. Frankly, if they're only within a solar system, then that just raises more questions. it basically means we need a map of the solar systems as well. Assuming that a solar system is, on average, 400 light minutes in radius, and making one hex on a grid be 100 light minutes, you'd have a hex grid that is 52,594,876 hexes long. :w:

#236 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 10:20 PM

No, you don't. Just remember, or mark down. "there's a Burnspace Zone in 1-15's asteroid belt" or something. We did similar things in IL. Burnspace isn't that important anyway, I wanted to see what you guys would do with it.

-Rover

#237 Offline Lloyd: the White Wolf

• Members
  • Toa Metru United

• 8,522 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 10:32 PM

Might be a bit hard to follow, but okay. Sweetspace (which I think is a bit of an odd name...I like something like Slipspace, since it lets you slip between its shores) could possibly look like large nebulae, sorta of like a large lake that lets you jump to any point on its edge. I'm not sure how much space it's supposed to take up either, though. :w:

#238 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 10:35 PM

Sweetspace as an area was Humvee's idea, which I don't really like. It's supposed to just be occasional spots where planets line up and create zones where gravity is equal through the whole system, letting you jump really close to a planet, and the rare tunnel from system to system(which would be game-changing events since they let you cut around the usual defense lines.)

-Rover

#239 Offline Lloyd: the White Wolf

• Members
  • Toa Metru United

• 8,522 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 10:38 PM

Oh, so on the same scale as Burnspace. So essentially there should be no Sweet-/Burn-space on the Orion-Cygnus Arm map. That actually makes it much easier for me if you want me to map it. By the way, how do you determine how far a ship can go in a given direction? :w:

#240 Offline Xomeron

Xomeron
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 20 2011 - 10:40 PM

Ships CAN go all the way into Interstellar Space, flying out into the endless void and coming out at a different star in fifty years or so. Why you'd want to? No bloody clue.

-Rover

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users