The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

I'd like to pop in and point out, in real life, there are some who get promoted highly in the ranks directly out of bootcamp. Assuming you enroll in an officer position, graduate highschool a year early -taking summer school will do that-, then graduate college in three years -again, possible, especially when you have military scholarships behind you-, you can easily become a captain in the Navy by the time your 25.But yes, you couldn't be an officer -at least in modern times- before 23 simply due to the requirement of college. This is an RPG set in a much earlier era, so yeah, probably take longer, but still. I could easily seen a 28 year old captain in this game.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Just a quick question, that Zelda RPG that was posted in the Request topic still a possibility? I only ask, because I haven't heard a single word about it in the request topic lately. xD

Only if the member addresses TPTI's concerns, as of now. To me, it seems as if the owner lost interest in it as he (or she) hasn't posted up a fixed up version in place of the old one.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Would there be interest in a slightly different Zelda RPG? With a little less amount of game-like features?(Like, no real rupee system and overall different things) Or just see if the requester regains interest?

My take on it is that snoozing is directly related to losing, and as the original requester appears to be beating out a samba on the snooze-button, you might as well go for it with a different (hopefully better) idea.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Destiny-=Cohosts=-Host: Blade.Cohost: Toa Korkoa: Toa of plasma-=Table of Contents=-(Use Ctrl+F to get to the section you want; along with the codes!)Section1: Story [001]Section2: Locations [002]Section3: Items In General [003]Section4: Races of Hyrule [004]Section5: Rules [005]Section6: Punishments [006]Section7: Profile Submissions [007]Section8: Factions [008](Post Two)Section9: RPG News [009]Section10: Current Events [010](Post Three)Section11: Story Updates [011](Post Four)Section12: Profiles [012]-==Story [001]==-Out Of Story Note: This assumes that a year has passed between Link To The Past and Oracle of Seasons. This also assumes that about 1 to 4 months have passed between Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages, and that two months passed before the end of the Labrynna incident that happened in Oracle of Ages, because Time Travel isn't exactly perfect and to allow differences there.

Legend once said that when the Hero of Time would appear, the world would be split in three. The Hero of Time, however, came and went, and that prophecy still remained a mystery, even as Ganondorf the King of the Gerudo was locked away into the Dark Realm during the Imprisoning War. It has been theorized that the Dark Realm may have been what was referenced, but no-one knows for certain, since only two realms were known of. Ganondorf, however, has since been defeated by Link, the Hero of Oracles.It has been said that there are three Oracles... The Oracle of Seasons, and the Oracle of Ages have been located recently by the Hero of Oracles, as he was led to the two far off lands of Holodrum and Labrynna by the power of the Triforce. However, the last one has continued to remain lost.Six months have passed since Koume and Kotake's plan to revive the evil king Ganon was stopped at the hands of Link and Zelda. However, Link had gone to journey across Hyrule once more after that win, and hasn't been seen for two months now. It is unknown what has happened to Link, however, there have been rumours that the dark monsters that Ganon formerly ruled have been roaming the countryside of Hyrule. It is also rumoured that there have been sightings of the final Oracle... The Oracle of Destiny.It is unknown why the monsters formerly loyal to Ganon would be active once more, however, it is always possible that they could be attempting to revive their old master. That is but speculation at this point, however, as there has been word of people leading the monsters... However, as before, the purpose of that is currently unknown.Princess Zelda has started to gather warriors to help defend the land of Hyrule, fearing an attack. She has also ordered the warriors to investigate the disappearance of Link, and find more information on whether the Oracle of Destiny is truly active, along with where the Oracle of Destiny is located.It has also been speculated that there might just be a third, unknown force in play. However, there is no true word on that, or what this 'third force' would want, given that there is no motive known, or even any concrete evidence that they exist.In addition to this, it has been said that lands once thought forgotten and simply a myth have started to reappear, with the entrances opening once more. The only one that has been confirmed so far is Termina, the land seemingly parallel to Hyrule. The specific entrance to Termina has not actually been found yet, but it appears to be in the Lost Woods, located within the Faron Woods to the south of Hyrule Field.With legends in the past, present, and future of Hyrule... Will you be the ones featured in the legend of how the land is saved once more? Or will you be included in the legends as the one who finally destroyed the kingdom?-==Locations [002]==--===Hyrule===-This is the starting location for most new players. This is the legendary kingdom of Hyrule, and it's geography is a mix of all locations from all the games, including the Faron Woods in the southeast portion of the land, Death Mountain in the northeast, Lake Hylia to the southwest, Gerudo Desert to the west, a graveyard in the northwest, and a snow-covered mountain to the north. Hyrule Castle is in the centre of the region, with Hyrule Castle Town surrounding it, and Kakariko Village near Death Mountain. A further in-depth look into the kingdom will be added closer to the start of the RPG. For the most part, the kingdom has been built up to a similar extent as it was in Twilight Princess, so use that as a relative guide, although there are differences that will be noted further into the game.-===Termina===-Termina makes it's first reappearance since Majora's Mask. It was recently rebuilt, as portions of the land was destroyed by the moon, when it crashed into Termina. However, total annihilation was avoided at the last minute, as the races had united to call the Four Giants, though not in time to save most of the land. Therefore, the land looks similar to the Termina from Majora's Mask, however, Clock Town is more like 'Clock Village' at this point, as there are not as many buildings, and the place is built upon the crater from the crash. The surrounding areas hadn't been damaged as much, however, the effects of the crash have been felt, as portions of the areas were affected by the crash, such as the forest not reaching as far, the mountain being damaged in some parts, making other impassible, and Ikana Valley's Stone Tower collapsing. The only area to escape being damaged at all was the ocean area.-===Labrynna===-Not much has changed in Labrynna given that it has only been six months since the Oracle Incidents. Over the six months since the Oracle Incidents, Labrynna's inhabitants slowly expanded where they lived, and began to co-exist similar to how the inhabitants in Termina do.-===Holodrum===-While Holodrum is still slightly recovering from the unbalancing of the seasons, the land has remained relatively the same over the past six months. As with Labrynna, the inhabitants of Holodrum have slowly began to unite, and have began to coexist. Subrosia is still under Holodrum, however, the people of Holodrum have continued to keep their distance from Subrosia for the moment.There will be more locations brought into play as the RPG continues on.-==Items In General [003]==-The item system for the most part is similar to the actual games, however there are some exceptions.For one, there are items that are considered 'special', and there will only be one or two of said items. This includes special items like the Harp of Ages from the games. This will be considered on a case by case basis, and to prevent someone from potentially taking all the special items, there is the possibility of restricting how many can be obtained for yourself, but again, that will be considered a case-by-case judgement call. There is always the possibility of the items being surrendered to another character upon your character's defeat, of course.For the basic items, such as the Bow or Hookshot, there will be multiples of those, either given out in a dungeon, or by your faction, or a town if you have no true faction.Equipment wise, there are many possibilities for them, like having special gauntlets, but those will be a special case, to make certain that they are not overpowered for the portion of the story that is currently going on.As for upgrades, you will more than likely be able to upgrade your sword eventually, however, keep in mind that the special items clause applies here. Master Sword will be the biggest case-by-case decision, as the only wielder shown so far is Link, and the true whereabouts of the Master Sword as of the Oracle Games is unknown. And there is only one Master Sword, to boot. Other swords and legendary weapons will be decided on a similar case-by-case scenario, though normal upgrades to a normal weapon would fall under the scenario below.You will also be able to upgrade your items themselves to multiple levels, however, that will only become available if it has been shown that you can handle a better item through role playing and such. Think of it as a reward.-==Races of Hyrule [004]==-This doesn't cover the different types of monsters that are around, simply the main species. This also currently doesn't cover the inhabitants of Labrynna or Holodrum; for the most part, the species found there are the same as in Hyrule, though there are a couple exceptions.-Hylians-They go by different names every so often, however, the main name they go by is 'Hylian'. The main difference between a Hylian and a normal Human is the fact that Hylians have pointed ears.-Deku Scrub-A Deku Scrub is similar to a plant, very similar. It's head has plant leaves like a plant would, and can disguise itself among other plants very well. They has a tendency to spit out nuts when it talks, which makes it hard for the Scrubs that go into business to actually sell stuff without accidentally hitting someone.-Gorons-The best way to describe Gorons, are that they are living stones. Their skin is brown, and most all Gorons have purple eyes. They have the ability to roll up into a ball easily, and can roll across the land quickly due to that. There are not nearly as many Gorons as there were back in the era of the Hero of Time, however. This is rumoured to be due to the Imprisoning War.-Zora-Zora are humanoid fish-like creatures that can typically be found in the water. A lot of the variants are peaceful, however, in recent times, some have seemingly joined up with Ganon's evil forces for some reason. They have the ability to swim through the water with ease, and can even fight underwater better than they can above water. They also can breathe underwater, which is why most of the Zora stay under the water typically, unless approached.-Humans-Humans, for the most part, are the same as Hylians. However, their ears are more rounded, and they tend to be found more in the area outside of the Kingdom of Hyrule. However, they still have been allowed to join up with the Knights of Hyrule, for those who have moved to Hyrule. In ancient times, Hylians were once known as Humans.-==Rules [005]==-1. Label your posts with IC and OOC, please.2. Obey all forum rules.3. No killing player characters without permission.4. No "Leet". It's not allowed, and as such, shouldn't be in here.5. Keep to the power that your character currently has, and do not god mode. If you wield a Triforce piece somehow, then don't abuse it's powers.-==Punishments [006]==-Ok, I dislike to do this, but, these are what you get if you break the rules.1. You get a simple PM warning, telling you not to do what you did, plus a temporary power decrease.2. You get a public warning, and a medium wound.4. You get a critical wound, and a suspension from the RPG for two days.5. You get your character killed off, and suspended from the RPG for a week, and when you get back you can make a new character.6. You get one of your characters put on the most wanted list for the Kingdom of Hyrule, and you are banned from the RPG until I decide you are fit to play again.7. That was your last chance the last time. You are permanently banned from the RPG, and all your characters are put on the most wanted list for the Kingdom of Hyrule. You can argue your point, but there's not much hope you can get back.-==Profile Submissions [007]==-Post the profiles in the discussion topic. There is no character limit.
[b]Username:[/b][b]Character Name:[/b][b]Gender:[/b][b]Age:[/b][b]Race:[/b] (Are you a Hylian, Deku Scrub, Goron, Zora, a human? Or, are you a sentient monster of some sorts? Specify here!)[b]Default Equipment:[/b] (Shield is basic for any character; weapons has the choice of the following: L1 Sword, L1 Spear, L1 Staff[Non-magical]. An L1 Hammer is a possibility only for certain approved characters that show extreme promise; essentially given out as a reward.)(Obviously if you're a monster who can't wield equipment items, you're not going to have any Equipment)[b]Bio:[/b][b]Faction:[/b] (The Knights of Hyrule, The Army of Darkness, or Neutral.)[b]Character Description:[/b] (This is your character's appearance.)
-==Factions [008]==--The Knights of Hyrule-While the Knights of Hyrule are typically a closed group, they have been recruiting over the past month, in anticipation of a potential battle. The Knights of Hyrule are dedicated to the protection of Hyrule and Princess Zelda. Link is considered an honorary member of the Knights of Hyrule.Recently, the Knights of Hyrule have been allowed to explore the kingdom of Hyrule for information about Link's whereabouts, and also explore other regions to find out information about the Oracle of Destiny.-The Army of Darkness-This army appears to be mostly formed out of monsters who were formerly loyal to Ganon... However, they have expanded recently, and now include other inhabitants of Hyrule and other regions, so it is theorized that the Army has been recruiting recently.It is unknown who the leader of this group is, or what the motives of the army is. There has been little info that has been gathered on the Army of Darkness, so the biggest hint to dealing with them is to be extremely cautious.-Other/Neutral-As stated in the story section, other forces have been rumoured to be gathering. However, given that this is not yet known at all, it will be considered neutral until it is actually confirmed or found.This also includes neutral forces. People who are neutral are basically just trying to make use of the approaching war for their own benefit, or wish to see Hyrule burn for their own reasons. They might even just simply want to escape all the war, and stay out of the fighting. Whatever the reason for being neutral, there are many possibilities for not joining the other factions, and some characters might just have their own part to play in terms of their destiny...----So, yeah, just wanna see what people think before I post this in the request topic. =)And yes, totally different, but I also looked at some of the things that TPTI had issue with for the other RPG, and added that in accordingly. Like, explaining a little more about the races and such. =)Also, I'm leaving the character limit open for now, as it's basically your own limit(Handle as many characters as you feel you can without getting overwhelmed); but in a way, that's a test run for me. I'm guessing if that doesn't work out, I could change it during the game?

I take it, then, that Termina-exclusive races (like Garo) are thoroughly non-playable, then?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Oh, right, the Garo. Forgot about those, it's been a while since I played Majora's Mask, so I wasn't sure what races were actually exclusive. Lemme check quickly.Hmm. It looks good enough, but I dunno if they'd keep the flaming circle technique. That might be abused too much, especially if it would otherwise prevent a fight from ending with an opponent's retreat. I'll keep it as a maybe for now. It might fall under the 'monster' category more, since although there's a 'friendly' Garo, you fight them more often than not.But as for characters from Termina, if you can locate a Dimension Portal in the rebuilt Clock Tower, they're able to be used. Most all of the species escaped major destruction, though obviously there were deaths. And the Zoras were untouched, aside from the ones who might have been in Clock Town when the Moon fell. =P

I noticed something when I was reading your description of the races (in the actually request topic, not this one). You say that deku scrubs do not have arms. This is not completely true as the business scrubs of Majora's mask have been shown to have arms, as does the king, princess and prime minister scrubs. I am wondering about this because I am interested in playing your rpg and was thinking of making a deku scrub character. Arms are not a neccessity (as I may not give them to him anyway as there are definitely deku scrubs that don't have arms), but they may come in handy and so I thought to say my piece.

Edited by Minun4

25fbd79538e4c3de878b599045e3f03a.jpg

Minun: Oh? Huh. How'd I miss that? 0_o Looks like I'll need to start playing Majora's Mask again, I'm missing a lot of things from that. xDYeah, now I remember, nevermind that. My mistake from trying to recall the enemy Deku Scrubs, and the fact that you can't really wield items as a Deku Scrub in Majora's Mask. So yeah, some might have arms, yes. Probably won't be all of them for the reason you mentioned. =PAlso, just waiting on Than for the last approval for the RPG. =)(My apologies for not seeing this sooner, I must've missed the notification when looking over the 200 or so notifications yesterday. xD)And yeah, you would've only noticed it there, because that's when I updated the character descriptions. I'll fix that slight canonical mistake when it's ready, though. =) Again, I should've double-checked that, and I'm not quite sure, now that I think about it, why I didn't. =/

I remember somebody had an RPG in the works a good while back, over a year ago I think, but you could play as your own god in the modern day. Anybody else interested in that? I'd like to see it come back.

That would be the idea that has gone through the wringer multiple times; I was the latest to attempt it, Bellum Deus or something like that. Wasn't too much interest when I tried it though. Maybe you can toss something new and exciting in.Meanwhile, work on the down to earth strategy RPG has reached the stage where it's good enough to show you guys. Dig in.----Every action has a reaction; for every action there are infinite reactions. With every passing moment an infinite amount of universes is created. In one universe, the Earth took a rather odd course; instead of a few large continents the world shaped into over a dozen small continents. In events unknown humanity sprung up on these continents, with never ending storms covering the oceans. Deadly waves and constant hurricanes prevented these pockets of humanity from encountering each other, isolating them from their siblings as they began to grow.Now, in the modern age, these pockets of humanity have achieved space flight, and mysteriously the storms have ended. These pockets of humanity will encounter their brethren for the first time in history, either in the open hands of peace... or the closed fists of war.Stríð Karla(War of Men)Hosted by Alex Humva, Co-Hosted by Kothra StreamdiverRules of Conquest~God mode; don’t do it. What is it? When you do something completely overpowered.~~Auto hitting; preserve balance. It may be easy to get caught up in the sometimes large numbers, but remember, no gun is 100% accurate nor is any soldier a super soldier -unless specially trained, of course-.~All BZP rules apply, naturally.~Keep in perspective what your civilization is feeling; if you devote massive resources to military might, something has to give, and it’s typically civilian supplies. There’s patriotism, then there’s just plain absurdity.~IC is for In Character, OOC is for Out of Character.~Be respectful, have fun, that good stuff.Effects of Poor StrategyAny can be given at any time, but the last two require both hosts to agree on.~Warning~Random natural event -epidemic, hurricane, etc- wipes out a portion of your empire.~Military secrets are leaked to your enemies.~Empire is completely destroyed; restart.~Temporary ban, length judged by crime.~Full ban.The World At LargeThis RPG-RTS combo game takes place on an alternate Earth; the universe is more or less the same, but Earth’s geological structure has been tossed around, resulting in fifteen Australia sized continents and a number of islands. Storms have plagued the world for eons, keeping humanity isolated from itself. Amazingly enough however almost all the civilizations have progressed at the same rate, reaching a state of technology similar to our own 1980s. Later on in the game we'll advance tech levels and, if this RPG lasts long enough, reach the future. In recent times the civilizations have sent out their first space rockets, many encountering each other in orbit. With the storms gone and clear views of their neighboring continents humanity has begun to build a navy, to expand outwards and explore.The continents of the world have suspiciously rich mineral deposits of all the vital industrial minerals; iron, nickle, tin, tungsten, copper, silicon, titanium, zinc, and so forth. The islands that dot the world have similar but reduced deposits, and this all results in some very strong industries. However, there is an odd shortage of uranium and other radioactive substances in the world; because of this nuclear fission is impossible and nuclear fusion near it. This means you can’t nuke your neighbors, not unless you invest heavily into making a fusion warhead. It’s a risky move but you can use it as a threat.It should also be mentioned, due to being isolated from everyone for all their existence, the nations of the world have different languages. This plays ingame; it takes one real life week for your linguists to figure out the language and translators become actively available.As well, something more about the RPG itself than the ingame stuff, if you have an idea, a suggestion for an action, or some crazy equipment thing, ask. This RPG encourages freedom of choice and ideas. Think out of the box and don't be afraid to ask if your insane idea is ok, because that's what this is all about; having fun with stuff you typically couldn't get away with in a more grounded video game or something. Imagination is the limit here, not mechanics.Methodology of WarFirst things first; how does one make their empire? Well, everyone starts out on a continent; unless two or more players agree with each other, you get your own continent to yourself. Two or more players can however talk with each other and, if they mention that when they sign up, can start on the same continent as another player(s). Just remember to include that in your civilization’s history. Continents are then divided into provinces, represented as blocks in a grid on the map; what do provinces do? Well, you can build towns on them. You ship out a bunch of people, they make a town, the town grows, and eventually you get a productive citizenry.So you build stuff in your various provinces, and everything is cool; then you want to, say, go build a military. The military draws it’s budget from the industrial production of your cities, which represent arbitrarily all your scientific, industrial, civilian, and other benefits into a number. This number shows how much you can build; in some instances it can seem weird and irrelevant, but fact of the matter is we need some sort of system to limit production, and this is it. We talk about it more in the mechanics section.Now, you have your budding nation, your grand army, and you want to go invade someone. However do you do that? Well, you send in your troops, and start roleplaying as a sort of commander, or even going directly into the action as a soldier. Because of the scale often involved in such things -thousands of troops vrs thousands of troops-, it’s pretty easy to get lost in it, so it’s typically best if you use command your troops in their legions/squads/troop formations/whathaveyou. You could however individually command vehicles, since they tend to be in much shorter supply. Or you could micromanage every last soldier; but if you value your sanity, you won’t.When attacking people, something to keep in mind is the terrain; predetermined by the map -for the main continent at least; players are free to make up their own terrain for their own homelands-, different tactics will work in different areas. If your fighting in the city, use urban warfare tactics. If you’re fighting in the mountains, use mountain warfare tactics. So forth and so forth and so forth. Charging head on in the mountains will get you slaughtered.Then there is another strategic element; while we do have planes in this era that can nearly go all the way around the world, there is a need for refueling spots; that is what the little islands scattered throughout the world do. Now, some islands are part of a mainland sub-continent and don't work the same way; if you're confused about a certain spot PM me and I'll tell you. These islands exist in the middle of the ocean and serve as positions where you can build military bases on. They give no IP benefit but do serve as a supply point, helping your troops in far away lands and making it clear that you mean business.MechanicsThis game, while having a greater focus on the role playing and strategy parts of RPG-RTS, still has numbers and mechanics for balance. We try to keep them to a minimum, but it’s needed for these purposes.First off, getting industrial points; the name is ripped directly from our space counterpart, so deal with it. Provinces, the grids on the map, have varying industry points, as listed below;Settlement; 0 IPSmall Territory; 1 IPMedium Territory: 5 IPLarge Territory: 10 IPSmall State: 20 IPMedium State: 30 IPLarge State: 40 IPCapitol State: 60 IPSuper Province: 80 IPSeem arbitrary? It is ever so slightly, but it’s just how we roll. Now, how do you make a province grow? Well, here’s where it gets a little complex; all cities have a default time of when they’ll mature, as follows;Settlement; one weekSmall Territory; two weeksMedium Territory; two weeksLarge Territory: two weeksSmall State: 3 weeksMedium State: 3 weeksLarge State: 3 weeksCapitol State: average province cannot achieve this, but the upgrade time is still there; 4 weeksSuper Province: No further upgradeSimple enough, right?One might ask, “well, how do I found new provinces?” Well, it’s something that slightly annoys me to do but it’s simply a must to keep balance; you go into a post and say you’ve begun recruiting for a new town. It's kinda like saying 'I began production of x amount of tanks in x province', except it's more 'Recruiting calls for civilians have went out across the empire for a new settlement'. It then takes one real week for the settlers to be gathered. So what's the catch? During this time your entire empire experiences halted province growth. Yes. The entire empire. Your industry is uneffected, but your empire will stop growing. When the call is over everything returns to normal. As well, only one recruiting call can be out at any one time. It's a hard choice; do you stop your empire's growth to colonize, or bunker down and wait for another time?Now, all these large numbers may seem crazy, but that’s because unlike our space counterpart, there is no set in stone IP cost for military. Basically, when you send in your design for a tank, you can put whatever the **** you want on there. What a skyscraper sized tank with fifteen city leveling guns? Go right ahead; it’ll just cost you your entire budget. This throws standardization to the wind in favor of a more free, unrestricted design base. How does one figure out the IP cost of a unit, though? Well, you send your designs to Kothra, who using his semi-sorta vast military expertise figures something out. If you feel he gives you something that isn’t fair, argue. If you don’t win and still think it’s unfair, talk to me. If I think he’s right, well, you’re out of luck.So if you, say, build an M1 tank, Koth may say it’s five IP for a batch of two. Or something else; I’m not him, I don’t know. So it is possible to produce things in batches. It should be noted you can only build one batch of something per province. The build times and cost of building them is, again, decided by Koth.Troops... are slightly more complicated. You don’t technically ‘build’ troops; your troops are determined by your cities and their sizes, giving out a certain amount of platoons -one thousand troops-. You have a constant standing army, who’s size is directly proportional to city sizes. The amount is as follows;Outpost; no benefitSmall Territory; no benefitMedium Territory; 1 platoonLarge Territory; 2 platoonsSmall State; 4 platoonsMedium State; 5 platoonsLarge State; 10 platoonsCapitol State; 50 platoonsSuper Province: 100 platoonsNow, these are just grunt infantry and stock troop transports; they suck zero IP. If you want special teams, like say, Navy SEALs or elite snipers or super soldiers, you send in a form to, again, Koth, and he deals with the training time and how much upkeep they cost, as elite soldiers always get paid more.MapCurrent model, version 0.9. Upgrades to the map, such as terrain, continent tweaking and re balancing will come as time permits, all of which will happen before posted for approval.Entry FormsThis is where you go to send stuff in. Your civilization, it’s vehicles, all of that good stuff, uses a standardized form. Either post all your stuff in the topic or in your blog so we know what we're dealing with. Also, as a note, the weapons form serves to explain exotic weapons; if you're making a standard tank, just say the tank's gun in the tank form. If you have something exotic like a sonic cannon, then you have a weapon form explaining it.Also, POST YOUR FORMS IN TOPIC OR YOUR BLOG AND POST A LINK TO YOUR BLOG ENTRY. IF YOU DON'T DO THIS, NASTINESS HAPPENS.Civilization Form:Name: All nations have a name; what’s yours?History: Your people have a backstory; explain it. This also doubles as a sort of personality area, so you can explain why your people are pacifists or xenophobics or what.Cultural traits: Everyone has them; generalists? Technologists? Warriors? Merchants? While they have no impact on your IP, it is taken into account when you’re role playing.Location: You get your own pretty continent, unless you and someone else agree to play on the same one. You get the entire continent because of the era this is set in, so you may have whatever combination of city classes you wish that add up to one hundred and fifty IP.Vehicle Form:Vehicle Class: We got M1 tanks in real life, what’s yours?Vehicle Description: Is it an airplane? Hovercraft? Tank? Humvee? Describe it here.Weaponry: Unless it’s completely unarmed, it’s going have something.Upkeep/Build time/Build Cost: Determined by Koth or, if he’s busy, me; leave blank and we’ll tell you.Troop Form:Division Name: Navy SEALs? Section 13? ****’s Troopers? Think of something.Division Description: Describe exactly what makes these guys go above and beyond the average foot soldier. As well, you can include specialized troop transports in here for them if you wish.Weaponry: What specs are they carrying?Upkeep/Build time/Build Cost: Determined by Koth or, if he’s busy, me; leave blank and we’ll tell you.Weapons Form: Weapon Name: It's exotic so you could give it a cool name if you so wanted.Weapon Description: Why is this so worthy of it's own form explaining it's function?Weapon Cost: Some weapons are so good they actually add to the IP cost; Koth will tell you this number. Edited by Sweetroll Thief Alex Humva

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

I remember somebody had an RPG in the works a good while back, over a year ago I think, but you could play as your own god in the modern day. Anybody else interested in that? I'd like to see it come back.

the last site i was on did something like that, although it was an invite only rpg, as the only gods you could play as were preexisting olympians and whatnot. it wasn't the most successful rpg i'd ever seen, but it also wasn't the most well done. i make no comments on alex's rpg as this math driven rpg genre terrifies and confuses me to my very core

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Math driven RPG? I take offense; don't let the big numbers deter you, they're there to help with the freedom of vehicle design for strategy.Buuut, as Power has pointed out to me, I do need to work on loosening up on the math aspects. Any suggestions are exceedingly welcome.

Edited by Sweetroll Thief Alex Humva

voidstars.png

It looks to me like the growth times are far too long for gameplay to be any fun. 10 days to get 1 IP out of a settlement? Maybe you could cut them in half.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Blah. And here I was trying to go a different route from Starscape, and instead I follow in it's footsteps.Halving underway. Any comments on the math aspects of it?

voidstars.png

The times were the only thing that bothered me, and even that wasn't a terribly big issue. The rest of it looks pretty good to me.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I was wondering, trying to come up with another RP idea: Is there any sort of interest in an RP based on Rise of the Planet of the Apes? The most recent installment in the Apes series.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodies? Your grace."

"I know that one. 'Who watches the Watchmen?' Me, Mr. Pessimal."

"Ah, but who watches you, your grace?"

"I do that too. All the time."

If anyone would be interested in co-hosting a Discworld-themed RPG for OTC, please PM me!

Probably some interest, though I feel it's always best to have more basis to your concept than "an RP based on (insert something popular here)". Some idea as to what it's actually supposed to be would be splendid.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well, basicly what I'm thinking is is that it's a few years after the events of the movie, and it's turned into an all-out war between the humans and the apes, with Ceaser, Maurice, and a gorilla leading the apes, and a character, possibly the neighbor from the movie, leading the humans. Technology would have begun to drop, due to the virus limiting the humans intelligence, while the apes simply don't have the recourses to craft high-level technology. Basicly, what I'd like to do with this RP is to bridge the gap between this Apes film and the previous ones. (Which chronologicly come after this one.)

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodies? Your grace."

"I know that one. 'Who watches the Watchmen?' Me, Mr. Pessimal."

"Ah, but who watches you, your grace?"

"I do that too. All the time."

If anyone would be interested in co-hosting a Discworld-themed RPG for OTC, please PM me!

The map could use chessboard-style numbers on the sides so we can identify individual squares, like saying "I'm putting up a town in 15x3"I'm calling Continent 17!This looks way more fun to play than Starscape.And we could use Weapon profiles. Knowing what gun a tank has doesn't help much if you don't know what it does.My military's motto: "Here at Aquilonia we fire the whole missile. That's sixty percent more missile per missile."Also can we start with any sort of standing Navy or Air Force? Because I don't see a way for that to happen, and it seems odd that a country that's already established has no navy or air force whatsoever. Unless we're starting around 1910, but I heard it implied we were closer to the 80s...

Edited by King Of Shadows
That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Blah. This be why I called it a rough draft; I forgot a bazillion important things, such as actually stating the setting, era, and tech level. But to answer your questions;~Pretty good idea Xom; I'll put numbers on the sides.~There was a weapons profile, but me and Koth decided it wasn't needed. When you make your tank profile you specify what sort of gun it is, so if you go 'my tank has three guns', you will get slapped and told to specify what guns it has.~That is being handwaved off by having politicians in every continent having somehow decided at the same time to mothball all their airforces, navies, and advanced ground support. Why? It is as mysterious as the storms that plagued the world.Also, guys, take no heed to the colors of the continents; simply a derp on my part for not removing the colors yet.And if anyone happens to what to say exactly why the math terrifies them, I'm very open to hearing why so that I can yaknow fix things to be less terrifying. I know I'l probably going shorten the town growth scale, but other than that I'm not seeing how this is more math driven that say Starscape, as the same principles are here; you have a planet/city, it gives your industry, it grows over time. Only difference is I have one extra stage....Blimey, I try to seperate this from Starscape and yet my mechanics are following exactly in it's footsteps.

voidstars.png

Not to be biased or anything, Starscape has fine mechanics. It's the management that's the problem. But being very similar to Starscape is just fine.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Well, I suppose what counts is how it plays out. I guess it's kinda like the difference between AoE and RoN. Both work on the same general principles, but each brings their own flavor to things.So yeah, I'll do some setting polishing up, try to figure out just why people are being scared of the maths when they didn't say a word about Starscape -bigger numbers, maybe?-, and get the map in fighting shape.Finally! I figured out why our friend up there was terrorified."math driven rpg genre"Makes much more sense, as from my talks with him on AIM I know that he had a distaste for Starscape, so it isn't actually my RPG in specific, but rather the genre that it inhabits.EDIT: Alright, after a long PM discussion with Power I'm making changes to ease the number crunching stuff and make things easier to do, as well as adding in general stuff that I forgot about. As well, I'm trying to tweak the continents so we have less tiny slivers on the ends to deal with.

voidstars.png

I have my dibs on continent #1.Alright, must of misunderstood you. I'll pull the weapons profile back for exotic stuff like Xom's sonic weaponry.

voidstars.png

First things first Alex, I'm in full support of the proposed Rpg; I've been considering doing something similar for some time but this looks far superior to what I could have come up with. Bravo. However, I do have a few comments/questions:

• [*]How large is each providence/block in square kilometers?[*]Is each block limited to one city/town? Or can there be multiple in each?[*]I personally would love to see espionage take a larger role in this than it has in Starscape, so for clarification, there will not be any "super-sensors" in this game, correct?[*]Could you give some more detailed, example units so we have an idea of a general IP cost?[*]Would you consider changing the name "Super City", since it's abbreviation is the same as "Small City"?[/ocd][*]Would it be possible to change the ten and fifteen day upgrade times to seven and fourteen respectively, or would that throw of the balance too much?[*]Should there be a cool-down time for funneling IP to upgrade cities; I can see that being heavily abused. If you had 105 spare IP you could upgrade any city instantly and immediately use the IP for something else.[*]Is each nation limited to one capital, or can there be many?[*]Could you try and explain the doubling IP thing-a-ma-ding for colonizing; I missed what you were trying to say.

And while we're going ahead and claiming continents, I fancy the archipelago, number eight, myself.

Imagine, a room, awash in gasoline. And there are two implacable enemies in that room. One of them has nine-thousand matches. The other has seven-thousand matches. Each of them is concerned about who's ahead, who's stronger. - Carl Sagan
Formerly Vorox Chief.

Thank you Veeci, for giving me a long list of stuff that you want confirmed. No, that wasn't sarcasm, I'm actually happy someone is raising a lot of good questions. So far the only person who's done that is Power; Xom only raised one. Responses are in bold.

• [*]How large is each providence/block in square kilometers? That is still to be determined; I'm trying to keep things realistic, so I'm trying to get something that looks about right.[*]Is each block limited to one city/town? Or can there be multiple in each? Your city stages are province dependent, but technically you could have many towns in the same province/block. However the block is what produces IP, not cities. So you could have three cities in the same block, but they'd still be considered 'large city' or 'small town' in IP output.[*]I personally would love to see espionage take a larger role in this than it has in Starscape, so for clarification, there will not be any "super-sensors" in this game, correct? No. Espionage will be EXTREMELY important in this game, and if you're willing to invest you can get spy satellites; they'll be expensive but they'll be worth you time.[*]Could you give some more detailed, example units so we have an idea of a general IP cost? Me and Koth are finishing up on hammering out some example IP costs; I'll post it in my blog when we get done.[*]Would you consider changing the name "Super City", since it's abbreviation is the same as "Small City"?[/ocd] I might do Metropolis.[*]Would it be possible to change the ten and fifteen day upgrade times to seven and fourteen respectively, or would that throw of the balance too much? Edited that in right as you posted actually.[*]Should there be a cool-down time for funneling IP to upgrade cities; I can see that being heavily abused. If you had 105 spare IP you could upgrade any city instantly and immediately use the IP for something else. I'm probably going remove that mechanic all together.[*]Is each nation limited to one capital, or can there be many? You could have a backup capital so to speak, just so long as it fits in the 150 starting IP rule.[*]Could you try and explain the doubling IP thing-a-ma-ding for colonizing; I missed what you were trying to say. You might be confusing that with trade, which is going be removed after a discussed with Power.

voidstars.png

So yeah guys, I'll get the weapons profile back up and then you guys need to send your stuff to Koth, so we can finish hammering out the example costs.

voidstars.png

Also, you will want to tweak the continent sizes some what so that they all take up similar amounts of squares. For example you could say 17 has nice provinces while 19 only has four.And maybe you should just take 19 and fling it way south below 12 while you're at it.

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

Yeah, I'mma working on making the continents make more sense.

voidstars.png

Dibs on Eleven, Profile Sent.Also i assume that a system will be created on case to case basis as far as trade goes? Considering the removal of standardized trading, but the continued existance of trading as a whole. Considering it's like, the most vital part of my whole Nations existance, i'd hate to see it go.That, and if Rise of Legends/Rise of Nations has taught me anything, it's that he who trades and grows an economy ends up with one of the smallest, (though most elite) armies, and eventually wins the game :P

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

Yeah, I'mma add that in there. Trade will be dealt with on a case to case basis and while it'll still play an important part, it'll attempt to be easier to manage.

voidstars.png

Alex, on the continent thing, you're just picking nice shapes and throwing them in, aren't you? Not really caring about the tectonic implications behind all this?

-Rover