The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

I've heard it from more than two people.Anyway, designing a few new things...

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

I'm going for Naval Superiority not out of simply wanting to, but strategy.I could go Air superiority, but that has a lot more people gunning for it.Naval Superiority = You can't do something unless I allow it. Complete Monopoly on Trade and the ability to blockade people who might be a problem. My mind's loving the strategic possibilities of Strio.... Alex you might've just created a monster.Or added to a pre-existing one, we'll have to see.

Edited by Lord Kini Hawkeye

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

Theoretically, yes. But with my chosen specialty, well, you'll see.I keep wanting everything to be Korean War-era tech, just because I love the way the Saber looks and I'm stuck imagining one of my planes looking like that even though it's inspired by the F-16. Also I just realized someone probably demand I specify things that should really be on any plane, so I'm specifying...

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Naval superiority in this game will be interesting to say the least; see, unlike in Starscape where specific actions have standarized costs -blockade is so much IP no matter what ships you have doing it-, Strio will have it to where your actions will cost on a case to case basis. So having a giant navy will help you embargo someone, but at the same time will require a significant portion of your fleet, and supplies will need to be diverted to sustain it. Case to case basis means a lot more flexibility and hard choices will come.Just try to remember, everything is a trade off; if you focus primarily on ships, that means your land forces will be cut. There is no such thing as a free lunch; you only have so much stuff, and thus, when you take something must give.An early navy will, however, benefit those who lay claim to the main continent. Me and Koth did out the math and the average size of the sub-continents we inhabit is about the size of Texas. So whoever gets the biggest stake in the main continent first, and whoever has the guns to enforce that claim, will gain a significant advantage.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Yup; sub-continents are off limits so newbies may spawn on them. So yes, you'd need to go around it to get to the mainland.EDIT: Good news! I finally settled on province stage names that are not silly.EDIT2: And now the map is effectively complete, as it is now a chessboard. No, not really, but I got the letter/number theme going. So yeah, it's a chess board. Now I just need the terrain map of the main continent, and this RPG should be ready to fly out the doors and kick off some awesome fights.And yeah, I know, the number positions could use some work. It's going take a few edits to fix it; I just wanted to get it out for everyone with their profiles.

Edited by Sweetroll Thief Alex Humva

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Uh, map doesn't look to have updated unless I'm really derping.Now, to get on with conquest of the high seas, the skies, the earth! Wwwwaaaaggghhhh!

Edited by King Of Shadows

-Rover

Oh jeez, no. Do not put the numbers and letters on the actual map, you're going to have to add a bar on the left side and the top side and put the letters and numbers there. Wow.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

If something isn't updated, hit F5. You gotta reload your browser's cache of the image.Let's just hope it gets through the judges quick, and that life doesn't end up strangling me, like it so often does. Thankfully this should be much more player driven than Alkermpa was, so life strangling me won't have as big an impact.@Rover; well, it's still inprogress so I could do something like that. It'll require some fancy resizing tricks in GIMP though.

voidstars.png

I was derping. Provinces and Territories now picked out for maximum abuse of the industry system.

-Rover

Updated maps AGAIN, this time with the coordinate system on the side and not overlayed. It looks prettier too.

voidstars.png

Well of course it looks prettier, you aren't cramming numbers on top of Continent 10 anymore.You could still do with a smaller font with the numbers, though, so they're completely over their proper columns, instead of sort of sneaking into the next column.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well, with the map pretty much done and the terrain map of the main continent almost ready, does anyone have any further comments to voice before this ships out to the approval topic, or are we all good?Also, just prettied up the map and in doing so finally jammed the 25 and Y in there, as the grid is 25x25, not 24x24. As well, doing some final finishing touches to the main post by adding in details on islands and a few other things.

voidstars.png

I think we should be able to colonize the islands. Maybe not have a very big state, but the opportunity should be there. I mean, many of the Pacific islands have at least some population, not just a military base.And also, does the one week period pause production in your entire empire? Because I don't see how, when in the game we can have created a large empire, but we still have to stop everything for a week. I think it'd be easier to say it stops any province, or combination of provinces, with forty IP or more. Say I did it in my Capitold State, that's 60 IP, okay, now it's stopped for a week. Or if I took two of my 20 IP provinces, thats forty IP, but they're stopped for a week. It's more similar to how it works in Starscape, which, in that regard, makes more sense to me.

Edited by Toast of Awesomeness

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Unarmed vehicles like basic transport ships, transport trucks and unarmed light utility vehicles don't need profiles (and have no IP cost).Just about everything else does.Air transporters, armed or not, will probaby have to be paid for as well. Also if you're going to have them, list the payload (metric) in the profile.Any use of Imperial measurements will result in a denial of the profile.

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

Major derp on my part, that's what I get for skimming--nuclear fusion is almost impossible outside of experimental reactors (IE, not fit for mass production) and nuclear weapons, and almost all navy ships extant today use nuclear fission power plants. :w:

I'm well aware; the fleets of this game still run off of oil.ToA~Me and Koth have discussed it, and we're changing the colonizer mechanic; it no longer sucks IP, but instead halts all province growth across your empire, as well, you can only give out one recruiting call at one time.this is still open to change though, and since I'm going be busy for the upcoming week it'll be a while before this ships off to the approval topic, so if any of you got suggestions, we're hearing them. Edited by Sweetroll Thief Alex Humva

voidstars.png

Um, Lloyd? Stop skimming xD There's extremely little amounts of uranium on this Earth. No fuel for the reactors.

voidstars.png

Short Answer, because I'm too busy to research it: stop bothering with the idea and just go with conventional pre-nuclear methods. Even if you could build a fusion reactor I'd assume it to be so expensive you wouldn't really be able to build much else.

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

A fusion reactor?A fission reactor is fine; you just have to realize it's fuel source is exceedingly rare. A fusion reactor though... it's twenty twelve and humanity has still not made any fusion reactors that produce more power than they use. I see no problems with you having a fission reactor, just so long as you know it'll be expensive and not suitable for mass production because of the said expense.Now, if you could trade with other nations for uranium, you could build yourself a little stockpile, and the main continent will have the occasional random patch of uranium, so yeah.

voidstars.png

You can try to build a fusion warhead. The post says fusion bombs. Not fusion reactors. You could presumably build a fission bomb as well, but it'd be pretty weak. Better to study deeply into fusion and use a bit of uranium to kick start a fusion reaction.But yeah, it means no months at a time underwater subs. Still plenty of opportunities for spy sneakiness though. Unlike Starscape, where espionage and spying seems to of fallen to the wayside, spying in this game will be merciless. If you can plant someone in successfully, I'm not going stop your operative from causing chaos. Now, it'll require a fair amount of RPing, and no 'I sent a spy and now he's inside of their military and knows everything' posts, but properly used, spying and espionage will be a very powerful tool indeed.

voidstars.png

Yeah; I hope to get a lot of mileage out of politicking and such from this game, but politicking in a good way. Not in the 'League of Worlds destroys anyone who attacks and that's it' politicking, the 'perhaps we could do this and you could give us this? And if you don't, well, there is these warships next to your borders...' politicking. Spying will be crucial in this, because you must know your enemy's strength before charging into battle.In general I'm seeing much more room for strategy and tactics here than in Starscape. Not to diss Starscape -after all, I still play it, and I'm a dead race; that says something-, just saying, planetary warfare has more room for tactical maneuvers than space warfare. In space there isn't anything to hide behind, unless you're in an asteroid belt.

voidstars.png

This is a true statement. I'm already accounting for countermeasures, etc. Oh the joys of planning.I'm expecting a lot more Cold War stuff here than in Starscape, mostly because the antagonistic actions of some polarized everyone else against them, and once they were gone everyone was happy. Here, I doubt that anyone will be that trigger-happy.:w:

One of the inherent problems of a space-strategy game is that offense is much easier than defense, so large nations like the Diemawr and large alliances can keep the smaller nations in line through fear alone. With this, it'll be better, because a single, well defended island, can hold out against a much larger force.

-Rover

Also, forgot this;

I think we should be able to colonize the islands. Maybe not have a very big state, but the opportunity should be there. I mean, many of the Pacific islands have at least some population, not just a military base.

Keep in mind, Hawaii did not get the needed population to become a state until WWII, when the massive amount of troops moved there bumped it's population up. Even in modern days it's hardly an industrial power house, most of it's income coming from it's fishing industry and tourism. Not really a major driver behind the Union.In the future of the game there might come a time when islands effect your industry somehow, but for now, islands are simply military bases. Maybe after this game's World War One happens tourism or something will come from islands. I don't know, we'll think of something when we get to it.Xom~Which is why I foresee a lot more strategy and tactics going into this to beat well defended enemies.

voidstars.png

I just wish there were a reasonable way to ban large alliances, because that has always made warfare in IL and Starscape impossible. Like, there's no way to just attack the Alizarin; you attack them, you attack the Diemawr and the Trenuans, as well.

-Rover

*coughNATOcoughCCCP*Anyway, I wanna point out something to pre-empt those who complain about nit having big enough armies: the world's pre-eminent superpower (and until recently, the CCCP) has a little over one million troops and a massive economy to support absurd amounts of tanks and airplanes. Smaller nations, like the ones we're playing, have smaller militaries. Don't think of yourself as America. Think of yourself as Britain.:w:

I think even the amount we have is a bit silly, since World War II Japan had way more aircraft carriers than we're going to be able to, and they were suffering from a US Oil Blockade

-Rover