Bionicle Sucessor project

SailorQuaoar

So it's pretty apparent that Bionicle won’t be coming back for a long time, possibly ever, because of how bad the G2 sets sold. But the concept still has potential.

So a few people thought “if Lego won’t give Bionicle the respect it deserves, maybe it’s time to make our own elemental robot story”, and so Afterman was born. (not the final title, I’m just bad at names)

Just to be clear, this is not a fanfiction. It’s inspired by the themes, motifs and aesthetics of Bionicle, but it doesn’t use the same characters and does not follow the same storyline.

It’s an attempt at creating a universe inspired by Bionicle, but legally distinct from it.

Bionicle deserves to have a nuanced, richly-layered story…but we can’t rely on Lego to do that. Not anymore.

It’s time for the people who truly care about the series to take it into our own hands and make the stories we want to see.

Check out the tumblr for more details as well as some concept art.

Feel free to leave comments and feedback or suggest plot, character, or design ideas. I’d love to hear from you guys how the feel of Bionicle could be best incorporated into an original story.

Different people like it for different reasons so I’d love to get a wide variety of opinions about what works and what doesn’t.

• Upvote 1

Y'know, I'm already working on a fan continuation. Just saying, because really at this point might as well finish what lego started.

However, a fan theme sucessor... Hmm... Interesting idea. I'll keep an eye out.

Just for my own input, I liked bionicle because of it's surreal motif and atmosphere, there was a real mystery and sense of danger in the story and lore, so many mysteries and questions.

Edited by Spoopy Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I think there's potential to tell a story that's unique, but still has the atmosphere of BIONICLE. This time around, it would be interesting to see what is would be like if we used the 5 Chinese Elements instead (Earth, Fire, Water, Metal, Wood) with sub-elements being controlled by the 5 main heroes. 

Afterman...the name needs work, but I like the idea of a world where our legacy lives on after we have died out in these quasi-machines we have created...

I've been waffling back and forth on doing something like this or just writing an entirely new generation of Bionicle. On the one hand, making an entirely new universe would allow me to add on to the character roster (or take away from it, but I'd rather have a wider cast of main characters rather than a smaller one so as to represent each element in the world); but on the other hand, I feel like I'd just be ripping off Bionicle, and it wouldn't really be original anyway.

• Upvote 1

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Hey guys. I'd like to mention I'm also a member of this project. The story takes place in an archipelago of islands on a planet, each of which have varying climates and different villages, all centered around Japanese styled architecture and culture. Each village is composed mixed gender tribes of elemental robots, who elect champions to perform quests for villages, IIRC. The main 6 characters, elected as champions are in essence the disgrace of their tribes. They're basically sent off on a suicide quest. I'd like to say more, but all the lore and story isn't 100% solid yet. This is the tumblr, with all the artwork and story stuff on it.

Looking at the tumblr, I just have to say that what you have here just kinda feel like a fan's generation of BIONICLE. What I mean is the characters are just bio-mechanical, or simply mechanical looking. Why not some half-augmented organic beings? Or beings of actual elements, like plant or water people? Why not sort of have a mixture of those sorts if things, like biological augmented half bio-mechanical half techo-organic beings who have their elements as a part of them?

Edited by Spoopy Imrukii

pure_muscle.png

Think about your methods for storytelling as well- are you going to use multiple media like Bionicle? Arc-based or episodic? How easy is it for new fans to jump on? What is made explicit right away, what is left for fans to discover themselves, and what will not be revealed until later? Will the audience feel part of the story, and how?

Early Bionicle's strengths lie in the storytelling techniques as much as the story itself.

• Upvote 1

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Looking at the tumblr, I just have to say that what you have here just kinda feel like a fan's generation of BIONICLE. What I mean is the characters are just bio-mechanical, or simply mechanical looking. Why not some half-augmented organic beings? Or beings of actual elements, like plant or water people? Why not sort of have a mixture of those sorts if things, like biological augmented half bio-mechanical half techo-organic beings who have their elements as a part of them?

There are being made of pure elements; the Element Lords, but they don't show up until way later. There are also creatures/characters with varying ratios of mechanical to organic body parts, though our main characters are entirely mechanical.

There are being made of pure elements; the Element Lords, but they don't show up until way later. There are also creatures/characters with varying ratios of mechanical to organic body parts, though our main characters are entirely mechanical.

Hmm... Interesting. May I also say that it may be best to put a bit more Voodoo head influence imto some of the characters? If you don't know what I'm getting at look at and analyze the pictures of the prototype Voodoo heads sets, get sort of a fell of the motif and atmosphere they give off is what I mean, that may be beneficial.

pure_muscle.png

Hmm... Interesting. May I also say that it may be best to put a bit more Voodoo head influence imto some of the characters? If you don't know what I'm getting at look at and analyze the pictures of the prototype Voodoo heads sets, get sort of a fell of the motif and atmosphere they give off is what I mean, that may be beneficial.

True enough, and I agree. We're working on concept art for masks and armor, and I can say that they're inspired by many different sources, and are extremely creative and interesting; I'd go so far to say that some designs even look better than G1 Kanohi. I'm sure that some masks can be inspired by the Voodoo Heads, though the over-all design would need a bit of an overhaul for our art style and direction.

This sounds super neat.  I want in.

Though I must ask, where exactly are we supposed to submit character ideas, again?

Edited by capMARVELOUS

The tumblr has a submission box (submit cool stuff). I made a mock up of a character profile but you don't have to follow it exactly.

Nice, nice.  But do I need a Tumblr account to submit?

The tumblr has a submission box (submit cool stuff). I made a mock up of a character profile but you don't have to follow it exactly.

Nice, nice.  But do I need a Tumblr account to submit?

Ah well, in that case you can post it in this thread and I'll post it to the tumblr myself with whatever name you want to be credited as. Also make sure you guys read the google doc as it has the basic plot outline.

• Upvote 1

Afterman...the name needs work, but I like the idea of a world where our legacy lives on after we have died out in these quasi-machines we have created...

It was a working name for Bionicle, so I can see why they chose it here.  But I do like that background idea too.

I like how you have a Japanese theme going on.  Though from what I'm seeing it's more "general East Asian leaning towards Japanese" (a la Legend of the Five Rings), rather than strictly Japanese.  But since this is supposed to be Bionicle-esque (as in the characters should probably look like kids' toys), I think that actually works better.

Looking at the villager artwork, I can see some pretty obvious kabuki influence, while still looking Bionicle-y.  I'm getting vibes of Origami Cyclone (Tiger & Bunny), Yokai (Big Hero 6), and Zenyatta (Overwatch), but also getting a balance between those and some obvious Pacific Island cultural vibes (at least, more obvious than Bionicle ever really did.  It was all in the culture, not so much the aesthetic aside from Ga-Koro and sometimes Ta-Wahi).

Overall, I like the concept, and I can see this getting a good number of fans.

• Upvote 1

So uh...are any of you guys interested in contributing? Or are you just gonna watch on the sidelines and wait for someone else to do everything?

As previously noted, I am quite interested in contributing to this.  Though perhaps it would be prudent of you to open up a new forum here on the site where those without Tumblr accounts can more readily submit character applications?  It seems like this forum would be better suited for discussion of the project itself.

Edited by capMARVELOUS
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...