Prototype Squid Launchers

Pohaturon

So I was randomly browsing images about the Barraki when I remembered that back in 2007, the toy store I frequented had this small display aquarium advertising them with one of the Barraki, I think it was Kalmah, in them. Thing is, the display set had a squid-launcher unlike the final released version. Instead of a more crossbow-like design, it was more, I don't know, Sci-Fi like? Seemed a bit like a spaceship. 

Anyway, I was kind of disappointed those versions weren't in the commercial products, and unfortunately the store owner was also into Bionicle so he wouldn't sell it to me at a price I could afford (didn't have a big allowance at such a young age).

Are any of these parts floating around or do any BZPower members have them? After a quick search didn't come up with anything other than a few TTV discussions, I became curious. How rare are these things? Do their owners just not frequent Bionicle communities, or are the prototype squid launchers just not sought after and thus they don't warrant mention?

Here are images of what I'm talking about:

1db1be1baade0760f5d42eb964c4ff777017087b

b8ec1fd6920aebb7d9176d6aee2de662b6e40d56

:kakama:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I never saw one in real life, just those ones from the animations on the bios. Nice! 

Must've been a pretty last-minute change for them to ship with the actual display models.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Wait... They put the actual sets in water?!? I thought I just did that.

Nevertheless this seems like a relic of BIONICLE that has long since been lost to time, be it intentionally or otherwise. I am unsure if anyone has said launchers (besides LEGO perhaps). It sucks that this exists and that we have very little information on it, because it seems to be really cool, perhaps even better than the official set pieces we got taht apparently most folks cant seem to use properly, that seems to be a running thing with 2007 and LEGO not following by conventional wisdom, i.e the Squid Launchers and the Cordak Blasters.

EDIT: Geez man! Those are actually really cool, looking at them closer! Holy crud I could see someone use one as an Axehead or something! These are rad! Makes me wish that we had these! Dang it!

Edited by Spoopy Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I do still wonder what made them change the design for the squid launcher at what seems to be a rather late stage in the Barraki's design period.

The strangest thing is how off the final squid launcher feels, especially compared to the prototype. I mean, the shape and design of the final launcher didn't really fit in with Bionicle if you ask me. Overall, I'm a lot less anti-squid-launcher than most fans, but even I find the design odd and weird. The prototype I'm looking for fits the Bionicle aesthetic much better, has more connection points, allows for squid ammo to be stored in the exo-force-robot-hands inserted into it, looks better, and by the looks of it was solid plastic instead of the mushy rubber that the final version were made from.

It's quite perplexing, really, which makes we want to get one of these prototypes even more. Maybe holding one in hand would answer our questions. The store owner wouldn't even allow me to inspect it outside the aquarium back in '07, plus when I was that age I was more focused on "wow this is so cool" and less focused on the intricacies of design decisions.

I'd love to get my hands on them, however even if there are a few in circulation, I imagine they go for horrendous prices. I'd want to grab seven and outfit all squid-launcher-equipped sets with them, and use them for mocing.

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

I've never seen one of these before. It looks really cool and I kind of wish it was the what the Barracki used as Squid Launchers instead of what they got.

And as others have said, I want one too now. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Thanks for making me want to own these. :P

I'd have to agree with this post. Plus, a piece such as this would most certainly make any MOC stand out for sure.

I've never seen one of these before. It looks really cool and I kind of wish it was the what the Barracki used as Squid Launchers instead of what they got.

And as others have said, I want one too now. :P

Well, great. If one of these things does pop up on ebay or something, I bet this thread alone would jack the price right up >.>

really wish I could track down at least one of these things. Maybe hitting up current/former independent toy store owners could help...

The hunt for the prototype squid launcher will become something of a real-world scavenger hunt. It's a real quest.

• 1 month later...