Does this mean Lego plans on making G3?

Sir Keksalot

http://spaceraptorderp.tumblr.com/post/152289144875/bonkle-reeboot-confirmed-see-all-you-robot (link contains profanity, and is only here for the sake of having a source; so I'm pretty sure this is fine by the rules)

Now, I'm not gonna pretend I actually know whether or not this is legit, or even where this is from; and I'm aware that maybe I'm just reading too much into this. But if this is real, and it does accurately reflect what Lego wants to do in the future, then we can rest assured that G3 is happening. Again, this may be either fake, or it may mean nothing. However, it could also be legit. Just throwing this out there.

Edited by Sir Keksalot
  • Upvote 3

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

I've seen this, and well first we ought to know what this book is and if it was directly published by LEGO (I would suspect it is but I dunno what it is). If anyone has any idea please pitch in!

And if it's totally legit and all, I don't think we should take this as any sort of confirmation that a G3 will happen or that LEGO is working on one. Now, I do think what this does mean is that LEGO (or at least certain people working for LEGO) want a G3 and would like to revisit Bionicle. Bionicle has been a huge part of the companies history so I feel like that was already a given, but if this book is a direct source from LEGO I have to wonder if this is the voice of the employees or corporate LEGO, my guess is the former.

This does give me some hope, but I don't think we should take this as any sort of assurance or reason to get excited/prepared for G3. The voices and wants of the designers isn't everything, since if corporate LEGO thinks Bionicle is that bad of a failure that they never want to revisit that disaster, they won't green-light development on the theme.

• Upvote 2

LEGO does this thing where they'll bring a line back every so often to keep things fresh and hip.  They've done it with several other properties before and there's absolutely no indication that they're pursuing any differing strategy when it comes to Bionicle.

• Upvote 3

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

For those of you who wish not to read the two words of profanity.

I leave the image here.

tumblr_ofloptzrEM1uboa1ho3_1280.jpg

I recognize this from somewhere else.

I think on a BioSector post but it's legitimate.

Does this mean G3 maybe, it's very vague on the subject.

I be taking it with a gran of salt

all I'm saying.

LEGO does this thing where they'll bring a line back every so often to keep things fresh and hip. They've done it with several other properties before and there's absolutely no indication that they're pursuing any differing strategy when it comes to Bionicle.

This could be what there doing.

For right now Lego has there new money maker Ninjago, but how much longer can it last tell it ends up like Bionicle G1?

I think Lego is waiting for the time when Ninjago sales start failing to bring in Bionicle G3 to become their new top line.

G2 was just refreshing the license.

• Upvote 1

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Wow that page opened a lot of eyes well i was never thinking that a G3 was possible but it seems I'm wrong but if there is a 3rd Gen there needs to be more sold sets from the CCBS division of Lego in my opinion sadly if there's a G3 there wont be any of them in my room.

Edited by Tahu3.0

I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the Matoran Universe

This was from one of the latest issues of Blocks Magazine, but I think it's just speculation on the part of the person writing the article. It's not in quote marks so it's not a statement by the designers they were interviewing. I don't have this issue but from what I hear from people who have read it, it doesn't actually provide much insight into Bionicle's cancellation, let alone its future.

• Upvote 1

I think this either means that there will be a BIONICLE G3, or there will be a seperate new theme in the same vain and motif as BIONICLE. LEGO has said in the past that they do want to bring BIONICLE back again, it wouldn't surprise me if they are already planning such a thing. LEGO loves BIONICLE, and the fans it so seems, and I think on some level, or entirely so, that they maybe feel bad about the abysmal state if the theme that was G2. Abysmal in the sense that it just didn't sell, I feel like LEGO sees this as a tarnish to the theme's prestigious name, and in fact it very well is.

Now, am I going to go off on G2 because it failed? No, never. I think any self-respecting BIONICLE fan such as myself would come to see the pros and cons which came with the second generation. It failed, yes, but what it brought to the table was the fact that LEGO does still care. They were too cautious with the second generation. What made BIONICLE so great originally, WAS the story, and the sets. But the sets were unaffordable, the sets of G2 were in retrospect quite expensive, and the story wasn't very involving.

Now, I've heard a few fans say that the new BIONICLE team was quite awful, and I can see that. They weren't experienced enough I think to have handled BIONICLE as a theme. Not because they were bad at their job as set designers, but if they were the ones who worked on the story, well shame on them. They weren't entirely into knowing all there was to know. They knew the theme from an outsider's prospective, with no real knowledge of what made the theme so good, or at least it seems to have been that. LEGO might have just said to them to take it easy, and act like goof-balls, to maybe not intimidate younger kids perhaps with the theme. If anyone here has seen the designer videos, all of them, you know a grand majority of them are rather... Cringy. People have brought that up if THAT was the mindset of the team working on it (however you interprate that as), that maybe that's why, or in some people's eyes, it was the reason why it failed.

Basically I'm trying to say, that it maybe wasn't taken seriously enough, they have not enough faith in a theme ran by deep lore, because of how complex it would get. BIONICLE's first generation I feel got overly complicated in terms of story starting all the way back in 2004. We started by 2004 to have overlapping sub-stories within the lore, and each year those said stories just got more, and more relevant with the main line story, until in 2008 you HAD to know the sub-plot details. THAT I feel like is what made BIONICLE originally fail. LEGO was too complexitive (if that's even a word) with the original story towards the very end of BIONICLE. It would have been fine, if we followed the story of the mainline characters each year, but only in the novels did we have deeper, richer, sub-stories and plots. It wasn't necessary. You could literally give to kids this legend of six heroes, who came to an island, and have it be obviously mysterious. That is what drew me into BIONICLE, as my friend put it, ”sort of a magical mystery of sorts.” It was surreal, it was strange, and it was awesome. THAT is what made BIONICLE great. Not robotic beings in a strange looking land, and have heroes fall from the sky to save them from... Spiders?

*sigh*

You see what I mean? There wasn't much thought put into the story itself. We don't even know (or at least I don't) where said spiders came from. It's not the Rahi of 2001, where they were numerous, and of many variety. There was an island, and people on it, and heroes came to save them, but what they were saving them? Nothing major really, or at least it seems to be. I understand that LEGO tried to make it seem like it was a major issue on Okoto, but it just fell flat for most fans as a point of notice within the lore, and I feel maybe that happened with kids too. Where they were uninterested because there was no threat. No realy enemy seemingly, "why should I be interested in this theme, that has weird robot people, and no real big bad guys for them to fight?" I think is what most consumers probably thought, or at least what their kids thought, perhaps.

Now, going back on topic, as for this reveal of sorts? I think that it has a high chance of it turning out to be G3. As I said prior, LEGO does care about BIONICLE and the fans, and again, I fell like maybe, or actually totally yes to that they felt bad about G2. This theme had saved their company, at least in partial, and this is how they give it back to us? How they bring it back? With uninteresting lore and essentially premium content so-to-speack? With Netflix having the show, itself if it being on say Cartoon Network, where it should be. Where kids could easily have access to it. For those points and reasons I feel like this is why LEGO wants to, and plans to bring it back. And will they? My hope is yes, but will what comes of it be grand? Amazing? Like the First Generation? We'll have to wait and see.

• Upvote 1

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

It's just the author of the article writing that, its not like it's coming from the designers they interviewed. And they're just taking it for granted that Bionicle will return at some point. They're presumably an AFOL that generally isn't too interested in Bionicle - and from that standpoint, its a lot easier to make idle assumptions that are a little more consequential to die-hard fans.

Don't take it seriously. Whether or not Bionicle will return is obviously an open question, but this in particular isn't really evidence of anything one way or the other.

Edited by Pereki
  • Upvote 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Ah, so this isn't even from the designers or people who officially work at LEGO, just someone's speculation. Bummer, though it wouldn't have meant much either way. Let's just hope LEGO has the same optimism towards Bionicle that this writer has.

• Upvote 1

Even if this was written by a Lego employee, all it would mean is that they're not ruling out a third generation. 

I mean, I personally think that G3 will happen, and possibly soon, but there is no way they'd drop hints in such a manner.

:kakama:

• Upvote 2

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

• 9 months later...

As much as I'd love another Bionicle return, (especially a Gen 1 soft reboot/continuation) I think it's a bit early to be talking its return so soon after it finished again. Australia notwithstanding (as usual), it hasn't even been a year since Bionicle's last wave was released. It'll still need time to cool off a bit before LEGO tries again.

Also, this post does appear to just be speculation. I don't see concrete proof.

• Upvote 2

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

As much as I'd love another Bionicle return, (especially a Gen 1 soft reboot/continuation) I think it's a bit early to be talking its return so soon after it finished again. Australia notwithstanding (as usual), it hasn't even been a year since Bionicle's last wave was released. It'll still need time to cool off a bit before LEGO tries again.

Also, this post does appear to just be speculation. I don't see concrete proof.

Topic revival closed.

• Upvote 1

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert