Fyaska Hoarfrost Dragon

Nuju Metru

I designed Fyaska as the 1st-place prize in the Dragons category for my Dragon-Building Contest 2, but then I grew too fond of the build and decided to keep her for myself!

30623058260_033c0eb3a3_z.jpg

In building Fyaska (originally a prize I intended to give away), my design goal was to use colors and parts I didn't expect to need for forthcoming "Dragon Lands" creations. White bricks photograph poorly on my white backdrop, so I generally don't use them; I knew I wouldn't miss them. Light aqua, sand blue, and lavender are colors I have very few bricks in—and which are consequently difficult to use on "set" MOCs—so I also deemed what little I had in these hues dispensable for a prize.

It was a fun challenge to utilize my parts in these rarer colors, and also to avoid black as much as possible in creating this icy creature. I even re-trimmed the membranes after following my own wing-cutting process just to shave away vestiges of black sharpie marks.

I'm very proud of how the head came out on this dragon, especially since I was able to implement all three of my rare secondary colors. It's hard to see in this picture, but the round tile on Fyaska's head adds a splash of light aqua to her snout.

30808016782_cbffa5027b_z.jpg

25288947449_ff7cba02bd_z.jpg

30623050050_9daac5ce20_z.jpg

25288939899_e8fb7eacbd_z.jpg

More pictures and larger versions of these pictures can be found on my Flickr page.

Edited by Nuju Metru
  • Upvote 6

test2.png

Wow, I'll be. This is absolutely prime stuff. The colors work perfectly, and the rider is a nice touch too. I'm also loving the torso build, and all the points of articulation integrated into the build.

The only change I'd suggest amounts to a single piece. That white lower rocket part on the tip of her tail is a tad odd. I understand it's meant to be a spiky natural-club thing, but the shape of the piece itself makes it hard not to think of it as a rocket. That said, this is very, very minor.

Awesome stuff.

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

• 3 weeks later...