What would you change?

Wiriamu

While I'm sure we're all fans of Bionicle Generation 1 and many if not all of us are fans of Generation 2, no one's going to say that the line has been without it's flaws. Missed opportunities for character development, generic builds, and underutilization of resources are just a handful of the things that have irked some Bionicle fans over the years. I'm kind of curious about specifics, and want to share my thoughts and open it up for others to give their input as well.

If I could reach back in time and change certain developments in Bionicle (story or just product wise), they would include these:

Generation 1
*Making the Mata Nui era romance stuff canon and allowing Matoran Universe characters to be capable of love.
*Replacing Amphibax and Sentrakh's pictures with ones of the Shadowed One and Ancient in BIONICLE: Makuta's Guide to the Universe, as well as replacing Icarax's picture in that one Teridax journal entry with one of Karzahni; seeing as those characters were actually mentioned but not seen in the book-and that Icarax's picture is almost exactly the same as the one that shows up when he's described in the Phantoka Makuta section-it makes sense to me.
*Giving Umbra a mask other than the Great Ruru: Lhikan's Hau, one of the Inika Masks that wasn't ever employed by another character, or something-that Ruru was done to death.
*Giving Sarda and Idris different Kanohi-leaning towards an Olmak for Sarda and a Rode for Idris so we get a reversal of what happened with Axonn and Brutaka. I would do this because the Great Huna and Ruru were definitely overused-though at least in Idris' case it was a different color-and because it seemed like a tradition to have the Matoran characters have carryover masks from previous years once we got past the Island of Mata Nui arc.

*Giving roles to all the alternate models and unnamed sets that don't have them, such as:
**The Turaga Kaita (Alpha, Beta, and Gamma versions) and Turaga Nui.
**The Matoran Kaita of 2001 and Matoran Combiners of 2003.
**The Bohrok Va Kaita (Normal and Kabaya Versions) and the Bohrok Kaita and "Fused Bohrok."
**The Bahrag Fusion, humanoid Boxor, "Exo-Raptor," and either making the Makuta Nui official or calling it the Graalok set.
**The two-model Piraka Combiners and Kabaya Rahkshi Combiners.
**The various "Good Guys" and "Bad Guys."

*Creating new combiners for storyline characters without sets, such as:
**The 2004 Matoran Nui
*Either making more of the Matoran/Toa/Turaga tribes all female or at least divided into male and female like the Av-Matoran. I figure Fire, Ice, Air, Stone, Earth, Sonics, Magnetism, and Iron could stay male since we have actual named Toa of those elements, while obviously Water, Lightning, and Psionics can be joined by Jungle/Plantlife, Plasma, and Gravity. I'm also thinking Iron could maybe switch to female; the name Zaria always sounded feminine to me. I would also be in favor of more female characters from other species, rather like the mighty talented Alvis.
*Add a book featuring Brotherhood of Makuta and Order of Mata Nui members/servants, along with perhaps a few of the extra Toa and those Dark Hunters and Rahi who weren't included in the respective guides.

Generation 2
*Giving the Protectors individualized masks; identical head pieces are okay for Bohrok, Rahkshi, and Vahki, but not for individualized characters. Also add "drained" versions of Tahu and Gali's Golden Masks and feature the Golden Mask of Skull Spiders in the story, possibly along with other variant masks. And if we couldn't have gotten a G2 Titan Makuta, then include the Mask of Ultimate Power in Umarak the Destroyer-it's the only G2 set without such an accessory and the only thing missing from the Makuta "combo model."
*Incorporating the G2 Combo models into the story.

• Upvote 1

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Well, might as well add my two cents:

G1:

• Agree that the decanonization of romance was incredibly stupid. Huki and Macku are still together in my head canon. 
  • In fact, the decanonization of the two MNOGs was incredibly stupid. Make them canon again.
  • Keep the shape of Lhikan's mask, but don't make it a Hau - we already had a Hau-wearing Toa of Fire whose weapons turn into a surfboard. Come up with a new power for it.
  • The Inika masks were awful. Even if Lego would have stuck to the designs, make them a bit smaller and use the axle connector and a Metru head for Mata Nui's sake.
  • The overexplaining of everything was a bad move. So Kanohi don't have powers, they just amplify what powers are already in a user, and their shape doesn't matter, but somehow having a different Kanohi gives you different powers.... bwuh? I mean, why wasn't "magic masks" just enough? Magic masks are cool!
  • If that's the explanation of the Red Star mystery... you should have kept it a mystery. The fact that it was seldom even mentioned between 01-03, but had a section dedicated to it in MNOG with that incredibly atmospheric music gave it a unique, unfathomable edge that enthralled me. Then it became a respawn point that broke...
  • Changing the setting to Bara/Spherus Magna was a mistake. The seemingly hopeless struggle against Great Spirit Teridax was infinitely more interesting than the troubles of desert dwelling non-Matoran and non-Toa who were stricken with poverty.
  • POHATU ISN'T ORANGE. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • The fact that Lego ignored the opportunity of licensing an open-world action-adventure video game set on Mata Nui encompassing the 01-03 storyline with RPG elements akin to TES bothers me to this day.

G2:

• Don't Cancel It
  • See Above

:kakama:

• Upvote 3

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

G1

-Stone is replaced with Iron for the purpose of making more sense.

-Romance is canon.

-The Red Star's true purpose is never explicitly stated, only hinted at and meant to be inferred.

-The story follows the Toa Mata/Nuva throughout its entire run, focusing on other characters only outside of the main series of books, comics, and movies.

-Each year now gets its own movie.

-The film soundtracks are released.

-Takanuva plays a more important role. I kinda felt like he didn't get enough focus after the "seventh Toa" debacle.

-The Barraki get more attention.

-Teridax is forever known as "the Makuta" instead of being known by his actual name. The Brotherhood is, therefore, actually a cult that follows him.

-Teridax's motivations are also changed. Instead of being a generic, "TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!" villain, he believes he's doing what's best for Mata Nui and those he swore to protect.

-Matoran of every element can be male or female.

G2

-^

-Jungle does not replace air.

-Kulta and Umarak's characters and backstories receive more elaboration, as does the lore in general.

-The Toa's personalities are the same as they were in G1.

-JtO doesn't suck.

-Takanuva appears at some point, though through entirely different means than in G1.

-We actually learn something about what Makuta is really like.

-LoSS pours you a cup of spiders.

Edited by Sir Keksalot
  • Upvote 3

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

G1

-Stone is replaced with Iron for the purpose of making more sense.

-Romance is canon.

-The Red Star's true purpose is never explicitly stated, only hinted at and meant to be inferred.

-The story follows the Toa Mata/Nuva throughout its entire run, focusing on other characters only outside of the main series of books, comics, and movies.

-Each year now gets its own movie.

-The film soundtracks are released.

-Takanuva plays a more important role. I kinda felt like he didn't get enough focus after the "seventh Toa" debacle.

-The Barraki get more attention.

-Teridax is forever known as "the Makuta" instead of being known by his actual name. The Brotherhood is, therefore, actually a cult that follows him.

-Teridax's motivations are also changed. Instead of being a generic, "TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!" villain, he believes he's doing what's best for Mata Nui and those he swore to protect.

-Matoran of every element can be male of female.

G2

-^

-Jungle does not replace air.

-Kulta and Umarak's characters and backstories receive more elaboration, as does the lore in general.

-The Toa's personalities are the same as they were in G1.

-JtO doesn't suck.

-Takanuva appears at some point, though through entirely different means than in G1.

-We actually learn something about what Makuta is really like.

-LoSS pours you a cup of spiders.

Well, this is awkward. It seems I have double-posted.

Edited by Sir Keksalot

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

G1: Count me among the masses who think romance shouldn't have been stricken from canon.

Makuta also should have kept the more morally grey motives hinted at in MNOG and Mask of Light.

Even as a dumb little kid I thought mono-gendered tribes were stupid. They can be predominantly male or female, sure, but having it as strict as it is just limits options for MOCs and characters.

Oh, and if I killed the whole Red Star reveal, would it stay dead, or bring itself back to life?

G2: A more solid storyline.

More and better background material.

Names for the Protectors right off the bat.

A proper ending.

• Upvote 2

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

G1 is pretty huge and I could come up with a million things that could've been done differently but there'd be no use, so I'll just name a thing or two off the top of my head. I'd probably put a bigger emphasis on the comic books, with them being a major form of telling the story, being of higher quality, more consistent, and a bit longer. They were how I got into Bionicle and it would just be cool to have a higher-caliber Bionicle comic series. I'd also probably change 2009-2010 since they felt so... out of place. It should've gone on for longer too I feel, though I know that's unrealistic.

G2 was just all around a mistake and I don't think there's any one thing or even set of things that could be changed to make it go from bad to good in my eyes. There was no point to the story and I gained nothing from it, and to change it would require either starting from the very bottom or taking the very (already) basic foundation of the story and doing anything interesting with it. I can't give any sort of honest thematic criticism to a theme that doesn't deserve it.

Marketing-wise, I'd just make the theme have more brand awareness and have more of a push and remain consistent in that push. They blew the budget on things like golden masks which were incredibly expensive and affected only a small selection of people whereas actual marketing of the sets and what excuse they had for a story would have gotten people on board. Launching with a show first and not waiting til it was too late was also a mistake.

Definitely some interesting ideas and opinions on this subject.

Yeah, the decanonization of the online games and animations was pretty dumb; at least Greg did make a point of making reference to them whenever he could in the latter years of the story. I seem to recall initially hating the Red Star revelation as well; I've since warmed up to it somewhat, though I hate all the little work arounds Greg came up with to exclude characters who would have been actually interesting to have return, such as the Toa Cordak and the Toa Mangai. It would also have been nice if those two teams and other historical characters could have gotten a little more development, as opposed to Tuyet getting it all-it's nice that a female character with no set got so much attention, but it would have been nice to see it spread out a bit more. I also kind of dislike how it seemed like Greg kept changing his mind in the serials and online revelations: the Visorak were wiped out but now they're not, Nocturn died but has been revived, Zaktan was dead but not really, and the supposedly impenetrable brain of Mata Nui was surprisingly easy to get into for everyone after the Hagah and Miserix.

The idea of Lhikan's Hau being another mask is interesting; it would also have been cool if it could have appeared in other sets than ones representing him, preferably with new coloring. I personally didn't mind the Inika masks either, though I understand why people are frustrated by their incompatibility with other sets unless you switch heads; it probably would have been better if they'd either made them compatible with the Metru heads or used the Inika heads more. Greg certainly has gone overboard with some material, and the Kanohi thing is definitely ridiculous-it would have made more sense to just have Norik's mask be a Kiril and have it actually get used in canon and give the Pehkui to someone else; it was really only used in one comic anyway. I was also pretty miffed by the whole Bara Magna deal-if they hadn't tied it in with Mata Nui I would probably have dropped Bionicle at that point. It was far enough removed from the concept of Bionicle that it would probably have been better to start a new line.

There were definitely some missed opportunities in the realms of both gaming and animation for Bionicle, though it would be tricky making some of it work. Bionicle Heroes' formula was cool enough that I wouldn't have minded seeing a 2007-2008 sequel; the biggest problem would have been how to transition from Mahri Nui to Karda Nui. 06-08 would also have done great with their own movies.

I agree that Teridax's bizarre view of his rebellion actually being beneficial to Mata Nui would have made for a more interesting character; they should have combined that with "I got jealous of all his glory" as opposed to making that his exclusive motivation. I didn't mind the revelation of his name-I felt that it fit in with the revelation of the Brotherhood as a species, and I still kinda wish we knew the Shadowed One's real name. While I agree that Iron would make a more fitting element for Pohatu than Stone given the presence of an Earth Toa in Onua, I half wonder if it wouldn't have been better for Lewa to have been a Jungle Toa right from the get go to better match his coloring and have Kopaka be a Toa of Air instead. If you're not going to change Pohatu, I would also not have complained if Shadow were interpreted as more like other elemental powers-not inherently good or evil but dependent on its wielder-and had Onua fill that role.

Generation 2 did suffer from a number of issues, and while I can't say I'm entirely disappointed that the first half of 2015 wasn't a complete rehash of 2001, I can definitely see where people don't like it. The changing of the Toa's personalities was among the more annoying bits-why not just create entirely new characters if you're going to change what they're like? Most of the second line's problems seem to stem from the effort to create a simplified plotline-far too common in family/"children's" entertainment these days-and the fact that it ended so abruptly. The second half of Journey to One definitely watches like the writers were told "finish this in two episodes." I still enjoyed what we got of the series, but I do wish it had continued for at least another year. Takanuva would have been a fine addition, and Xboxtravis actually wrote a great fic on how he could have been included; I also wish we'd gotten the chance to explore the mystery of the Toa's past and their connection to Okoto more.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

For me,

G1:

1. Canonize love

2. A TV show that would be the main source of the whole G1 story. I said that because the story is so huge that a TV show could tell it, and each season would be based on each story event and has 10-13 22-episodes episodes each. The direct-to-video movies that we have only tell some parts of the story. Or, make the cancelled fifth and sixth movies happen. Plus, make all movies act more like that they have to do something with each other. For example, there is a huge gap in the story between Mask of Light and The Legend Reborn, and there needs to be a movie or more that can fill it. Also, in Legends of Metru Nui, including an intro scene where after Takanuva opened the gate to discover the city, the Turaga would explain about it and their origins to their people as the flashback happens.

3. Graphic novels would tell extra parts of the story, like those serials that we have.

4. Give Lhikan a different mask.

5. Canonize all of the combiners and give them roles in the story.

6. Give Umbra and Lesovikk more character development.

7. Give each Matoran type both genders.

8. Don't make 2008 Pohatu orange. Make him stay brown.

G2:

1. Have the Mask of Golden Skull Spiders appear in the story.

2. Give Tahu and Gali their own Skull foes and drained versions of their Golden Masks.

3. Have Kopaka's and Pohatu's masks drained in the story, too.

4. Each Protector has a different mask from another.

5. No gold or silver pieces on the Toa.

6. Give the Skull Creatures and Umarak more character development, and have their origins explained (more), like how specially did they came to be and more do they come from.

7. There should be Jungle, Stone, and Ice Elemental Beasts, so Lewa, Pohatu, and Kopaka can have these counterparts. (Note: When Storm Beast was released in a set, he has Kopaka's corrupted mask, but in the story, he was once a Water Shadow Trap and can shoot water, so that makes him Gali's counterpart truly).

8. Have corrupted versions of the Toa's 2016 masks appear in the story, and so does Umarak's corrupted Hunter Mask.

9. Give Lewa, Pohatu, and Gali their own corrupted 2016 masks.

10. Storm Beast's set should include Gali's corrupted 2016 mask because he is actually Gali's counterpart. And/or, there would be Kopaka's true, Ice-power-having Elemental Beast counterpart's set, Kopaka's corrupted Mask should be included instead.

11. Umarak the Destoryer's set should include the Mask of Ultimate Power if there were to be a Makuta combiner (Umarak doesn't have his own accessory, like the other summer 2016 sets).

12. Release an official Makuta set.

13. G2 not cancelled.

14. If G2 were to continue to run for two more years, Mask of Ultimate Power should be the main mask in Year 3 while the Mask of Time in Year 4.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)