Useless Knowledge

ToaTImeLord

Hello everyone.

This topic is for those random facts and truths that have no purpose in everyday life, but are interesting none the least.

One rule

Follow the BZP rules

So BZPower members, what

Useless Knowledge do you know.

Edited by ToaTimeLord
  • Upvote 1

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Elves were originally supposed to be in the Capcom RPG fantasy adventure video game Dragon's Dogma, and the forest realm that they reside in was supposed ot be as large as the rest of the first part of the open world you can traverse with ease (bigger on the inside). This was scrapped, along with other game mechanics, due to time restraints. However, there are still elf ears in the character creation menu that serve as a relic of these regrettably scrapped plans.

• Upvote 3

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Smoking causes lung cancer.

Water is a compound consisting the elements oxygen and hydrogen.

Exposure to mercury may cause cancer.

Mars is the fourth planet from the Sun.

Barack Obama is the first African-American President of the United States of America.

The LEGO Movie was released on the year 2013.*

Koala bears are not bears but are actually marsupials.

Most bats are nocturnal.

e: *the trailer was released on '13. the movie came out in '14.

Edited by Koala Kranan

Elves were originally supposed to be in the Capcom RPG fantasy adventure video game Dragon's Dogma, and the forest realm that they reside in was supposed ot be as large as the rest of the first part of the open world you can traverse with ease (bigger on the inside). This was scrapped, along with other game mechanics, due to time restraints. However, there are still elf ears in the character creation menu that serve as a relic of these regrettably scrapped plans.

I honestly wish they made a DLC involving elves.  Apparently the MMO (which is sadly only out in Japan) has some questline involving elves.  Anyway, just to stay on topic...

Ken from Street Fighter has blond hair and wears red as a tribute to Gundam's very own Char Aznable, since they are both rivals of the respective main characters.

Street Fighter 1 was called "Fighting Street" for its Turbografx-16 port.

The Turbografx-16 is called the PC Engine in Japan.

• Upvote 2

Boss fights in the game Deus Ex: Human Revolution were actually outsourced to a different developer to design and code.

As someone that loves Dragon's Dogma, that's really neat to know.

Street Fighter 1 was called "Fighting Street" for its Turbografx-16 port.

The Turbografx-16 is called the PC Engine in Japan.

I actually own a TurboGrafx-16. :o Hardly anyone knows what they are!

During the development of Halo: Combat Evolved, Master Chief was originally going to be called "Commando." He was renamed "Master Chief" as a placeholder name, but the name stuck.

In a trailer for Halo: Combat Evolved, a Covenant Elite was shown wielding an Energy Sword and a shield! Later on in development, the shield was taken off the Elites and given to the Jackals.

There were tablet computers invented before the iPad popularized the device.

During the original release of the anime adaptation of Dragon Ball Z, Vegeta's first appearance saw him in a different color scheme than what we're used to. However, by the time he arrives on Earth in the events of the show, his color scheme is apparently corrected. If I remember correctly, this color confusion was because Vegeta's true color scheme wasn't decided on by the time his first anime appearance was made. The manga chapter in which he first appeared was released in black-and-white, so the animators invented a color scheme for Vegeta and his comrade Nappa and used those colors until a final palette was decided on. However, in Dragon Ball Z Kai, Vegeta's color scheme was corrected to what we're used to.

Similarly, when the movie Dragon Ball Z: The Tree of Might was advertised to premiere at an anime fair, there was a poster made for the occasion. On the poster, the movie's main villain Turles is shown with a color scheme that ended up being different from how he looked in the movie, which was most likely completed by the time the poster was made.

The cartoon show Danny Phantom would have gone on longer had it not been cancelled by Nickelodeon. The creator Butch Hartman stated that a fourth season would have involved a rematch with Danny's ultimate enemy, an adult version of himself from a bad timeline, who he fought in the second season.

Stephen Christian, a singer-songwriter and former lead singer of the now-disbanded Anberlin, stated that he once beat Super Mario Bros. Given his age, it's safe to assume that he meant the one on the NES.

The infamous Dragon Ball GT has 65 episodes, the first 17 of which were "lost episodes." Those 17 episodes were so hated and so different from what Dragon Ball Z fans were used to, that in a series re-release, the first 17 episodes were cut out and footage from them was turned into a special episode made for the re-release. Due to the big skip to the better stuff, this made the series shorter and a little more akin to the liking of longtime Dragon Ball fans.

Selfies were a thing long before social media popularized them.

When the video game Mighty No. 9 was released, it was so poorly-received, that Sonic the Hedgehog made fun of the release on his twitter! Let's get one thing straight; if Sonic can get away with dunking on a game release and people near-unanimously agree with him, the game's that bad. :D

When Charles Schulz was making A Charlie Brown Christmas, CBS executives urged him to include a laugh track in the special. Schulz refused, stating that he wanted fans to enjoy the special at their own pace and not be told when to laugh. Sure enough, he stayed true to his word and didn't even try to put a laufgh track in. CBS was afraid that the special would flop, but released it anyway. The special was a hit and became a holiday favorite, ensuring that there would never be a laugh track in future specials. Meanwhile, CBS actually created a version of the special with a laugh track, but the version is unavailable for viewing.

mindeth the cobwebs

Let's see

1.The Platypus can sweat milk.

2.Fig Newtons where named after a town not the scientist.

3.The founding fathers of the USA designed the government to slow down of lock up, if anyone tried to do something stupid or out of line.

4.Mercury is the only planet that doesn’t rotate exactly once a year.

Although his creation is popularly associated with Keiji Inafune, Megaman was originally designed by Capcom employee Akira Kitamura. 

Speaking of Inafune...

When the video game Mighty No. 9 was released, it was so poorly-received, that Sonic the Hedgehog made fun of the release on his twitter! Let's get one thing straight; if Sonic can get away with dunking on a game release and people near-unanimously agree with him, the game's that bad. :D

To go further with that, that's a reference to the live stream made to celebrate the release of the game, in which a translator spoke out of turn and said the legendary phrase of "it's better than nothing." as he played the game. The joke made from this was in the misunderstanding that the developer said this and the translator spoke it and in the terrible quality of a $4,000,000-budget game. 

Smoking causes lung cancer.

Actually, this knowledge is useful...

The LEGO Movie was released on the year 2013.

While this one's just a lie.

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

Fun fact the great Pyramid of Gaza actually has eight sides.

For on the summer and winter equinox

the sun light strikes the corners of the pyramid revealing the hidden angles.

Need proof just look below.

pyramid8side.png

Edited by ToaTimeLord
  • Upvote 1

A live-action Halo film has been in development heck for a while. It's quite possible that the beloved classic video game franchise will never see a theatric release, as it was announced back in 2004 and saw next to no progress. The closest Halo fans got were two live-action miniseries that could be taken as movies if all the episodes are watched back to back with no interruptions between episodes.

When the two lead actors for Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure were cast, they actually couldn't tell which one would play Bill or Ted. The answer was eventually revealed to them before filming, even though the difference hardly mattered outside of certain situations before the titular adventure took off.

To go further with that, that's a reference to the live stream made to celebrate the release of the game, in which a translator spoke out of turn and said the legendary phrase of "it's better than nothing." as he played the game. The joke made from this was in the misunderstanding that the developer said this and the translator spoke it and in the terrible quality of a $4,000,000-budget game. 

Aw, man! :D That's a slip-up if I've ever seen one! Also, Sonic actually fired shots at Mighty No. 9 more than once. One of the occurrences was to bash the graphics!

mindeth the cobwebs

The English dub of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders features Matthew Mercer, the voice of Overwatch's McCree, as Jotaro Kujo. The Japanese version of Overwatch features Jurota Kosugi, the voice of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders OVA's Jotaro, as McCree.

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

Thursday is an Aenglish variation of the continental name Thorsday. Yep, pagan remnant marked for Thor Odinson, protector of mankind and serpent slayer.

Likewise, Wednesday is a similar Aengle variation of Odinsday, calendar day for Odin.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

• 2 weeks later...

There's an entire website devoted to useless facts like these.  Here's the link: https://uselessfacts.net/

These are some pretty interesting ones that I found right off the bat:

• Movie theater popcorn costs more per ounce than Filet Mignon, and the price of popcorn is more than 1200% higher than its production costs.
  • A group of cats is called a clowder.
  • Paying for and giving out candy on Halloween as an adult is like paying for the free candy you got as a kid.
  • Ants can accidentally misinterpret the chemical trails left by other ants and start walking in circles.  If too many members of the colony join in, it can kill the whole colony in what is sometimes known as the "Death Spiral."
  • Walmart loses $3 billion a year to theft.
  • Pteronophobia is the fear of being tickled with feathers.
  • Millions of rick-rolls have only earned Rick Astley $12.
  • Upvote 1

The infamous video game Shadow the Hedgehog was supposed to be released with a T rating from ESRB. However, during its development, the E10+ rating was introduced. SEGA decided to build their then-upcoming game around that new rating instead, resulting in the tame and laughable edge-fest that the internet loves to slam.

According to Akira Toriyama, some of the major villains in Dragon Ball Z were inspired by real people, such as real estate speculators and his editors.

While on the subject of Dragon Ball Z and its editors, it's said that the editors urged Akira Toriyama to continue the series whenever he tried to set it up for an ending. Throughout all of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, observant readers of the manga (or watchers of the anime) can actually spot potential endings throughout the sagas.

There is/was a religion based around bacon. Whether it's satire or not, the thought had still crossed people's minds.

The video game Halo 3: ODST (Xbox 360 version) actually teases the video game Destiny by putting up a poster of Earth captioned "Destiny Awaits" in the game. Both games were created by Bungie and have been released five years apart. Considering Halo: Reach would be released after ODST, Bungie was really thinking ahead! Additionally, the Master Chief Collection version of the game did not retain the Easter egg.

mindeth the cobwebs

The story for The Phantom Menace is loosely based off of a legend from India. Even the lyrics for Duel of Fates is sung in Sanskrit. I believe Padme comes from Padma.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Speaking of Star Wars, The Force Awakens was just A New Hope rehashed.

• Minnows have teeth in their throats.
  • There are 439 words in the English language that break the "I before E" rule.  Only 44 words actually conform to it.
  • Upvote 1

Thursday is an Aenglish variation of the continental name Thorsday. Yep, pagan remnant marked for Thor Odinson, protector of mankind and serpent slayer.

Likewise, Wednesday is a similar Aengle variation of Odinsday, calendar day for Odin.

Speaking of Thor, he is actually said to be a redhead in the Norse myths, even though Marvel makes him blond.  I believe Marvel tried to rectify this by saying that the redheaded Thor is a past incarnation of him, and that his current incarnation is blond because of some world-restarting mumbo jumbo that may or may not involve Ragnarok.

The story for The Phantom Menace is loosely based off of a legend from India. Even the lyrics for Duel of Fates is sung in Sanskrit. I believe Padme comes from Padma.

Really?  That's actually pretty interesting, I'd love to look into that.

Speaking of Padme, her Queen Amidala look is based on that of 19th-century Mongolian noblewomen.

And speaking of Star Wars in general:

• Star Wars in itself is a mix of Western and samurai movies...IN SPACE!
  • The word "Jedi" comes from the word "Jidai-geki", the Japanese word for "period piece" (in other words, samurai movies).
  • Jedi draw inspiration from samurai.  In the prequels, they're portrayed more like Shaolin monks mixed with samurai.
  • Darth Vader's helmet is based on a mix between a masked samurai helmet and a WWII Nazi helmet.
  • Imperial officer uniforms are also based on Nazi uniforms.
  • If George Lucas had his way, Toshiro Mifune would have been Obi-Wan Kenobi.  He turned it down because he didn't want to be associated with what he thought was going to be some stupid kids' movie.
  • Yoda is voiced by Frank Oz of Sesame Street fame, which is why he sounds like either Grover (in the originals) or Cookie Monster (in the prequels).
  • In Soul Calibur IV and in The Force Unleashed, Darth Vader is voiced by Matt Sloan, the guy who played Chad Vader.
  • In the prequels, Plo Koon is also played by a guy named Matt Sloan.
  • Plo Koon was my favorite Jedi when I was a kid because I just thought he looked really cool.  In honor of him, I played as a Kel Dor when my friend ran the Star Wars Roleplaying Game (basically D&D but set in the Star Wars universe).
  • Upvote 1

Julius Caesar's name was originally pronounced as ee-uu-lee-uus kay-sahr

Julius Caesar was once abducted by pirates, and was prisoner for a while out on the seas. He befriended them while he awaited a ransom for himself. He told them that for not setting him free after he told them, he was going to have them killed. They didn't know who he was and thought he was joking. He was eventually ransomed, and once back home he sent out navy patrols to search for the pirates that took him, had them sent to Rome, then had them all crucified down a road.

Some nutty conspiracy theorists believe in phantom time: made up history. Most famous is the early medieval phantom time 'theory', where there are a few hundred years made up so that one of the Roman Emperor's named Constantine (there were eleven of them, bear with me) could be crowned in the year 1000 and have some sort of divine blessing by the empire's church. I am sorry, but Islam begins in that 'missing' time period, and I am sure it exists. ...Right? I believe in some 'conspiracy theories', but for me, aliens and 'phantom time' cross a line.

Ukraine and Russia are both from the same people, the Rus, or Ruthenia. In older times, Ukraine was called either Little Russia or simply Kiev.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

• If you eat a teaspoon of sugar after eating something spicy, it will completely neutralize the heat.  Oh wait, that one's actually useful.

• Some moths never eat anything as adults because they don't have mouths.  They must live on the energy they stored as caterpillars.

Scotland's national animal is the unicorn.

"Pocahontas" was a nickname, meaning "the naughty one" or "spoiled child."

In just one second, the Apple Company makes $1,997.

All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5 bill.

China has more English speakers than the United States.

• Upvote 1

Halo 2 and Halo 3 were originally planned to be one game, but time constraints forced Bungie to split their original plans in two. Marty O'Donnell, the composer for almost all the Halo games, claimed that all the resources needed to make Halo 2's original ending are tucked away in some archives.

Dragon Ball Z is responsible for the longest-running fight in anime history. The fight, Goku vs. Frieza, took over three hours to reach a conclusion. In the in-universe events of the fight, it actually only took five minutes!

There are rumors of life possibly living on Mars long ago before dying out. If I remember correctly, there's bacteria there today.

Sonic Heroes almost ended up being Sonic Adventure 3.

The critically acclaimed Gravity Falls was going to last for three seasons, but was shortened down to two.

• Upvote 1

mindeth the cobwebs

• 2 weeks later...

The Cartoon Network animated series, Ed Edd n Eddy, was originally created out of a bet, to see if he could make something child-friendly. After the series ended, he is quoted flipping off a camera with a big smile and the Canadian said, "**** America! :D ". Lol

Edited by Iaredios the Hip Historian
  • Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Here is a random fact, though how useless i do not know. Depends.

One of the main plans for Adolf Hitler's plans for his victory of World War 2 was the destruction of Christianity. He was planning to attempt to wipe it off the planet  because it was too meek and peaceful for his vision for a German dominated Earth. Too 'weak' for the mighty 'Pure German' race. To befit his pure, invincible war-driven super race and nation, he was going to replace the religion of his people from Christianity to a fabricated  German-facist centered hybrid of Warrior Shintoism and Islam. He may have been raised a Catholic, but that certainly didn't leave any trace of pacifism into his adult life.

If that sounds crazy, well, it is, because not only was he a psychopath, but Adolf Hitler also had syphilis, tinnitus and took cocaine, as well as many other diseases and drugs. Man was a walking biohazard, and his crazy, ill and melting brain made him make erratic and illogical decisions, such as, for example, never accepting the demands of his generals to make tactical withdraws and better plan military maneuvers. By the mid 1940's he was popping pills all the time and God knows what else. 

Anyway, glad that didn't happen, yet. Merry Christmas everyone!

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

In Star Trek: The Original Series, the Klingons actually didn't have bumpy foreheads.  Instead they were just dark-skinned with very thick, slanted eyebrows.  

Star Trek: Enterprise then explained this as the result of Klingons attempting to enhance themselves with augmented human embryos, only for it to have the reverse effects on them, making them look and act more like humans.  The Klingons in The Original Series are descendants of those affected by the mutation, serving as frontline soldiers for the Empire, probably just so that they could get rid of them.

Useless but interesting fact: Before recognizing Ireland as a part of the United Kingdom, Great Britain would capture and enslave Irishfolk, they being dubbed the 'white slaves' and be part of the slave trade, their numbers even being of the plantations and slave labor force of the old south Thirteen Colonies and Early USA. Having red hair made people wonder if you were either a slave or a related to one.

Edited by Iaredios the Hip Historian

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

About .2% of the Oxygen atoms in Earth's atmosphere aren't your normal O16, they're a different isotope. (primarily O18)

C. M. Weber's Clarinet Concertino has 241 measures in it.

Despite the fact it's commonly associated with him, John Pertwee only said the full phrase "Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" twice in Doctor Who.

Lawyer and avocado are the same word in French, avocat, and you can only tell them apart by context. (also an avocado can only be male in french)

The square root of 431649 is 657.

And for the least useful fact so far, probably: my A Clarinet's keys were made at the bench with the same letter as the first of my first name, I ironically didn't know this when I bought it.

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

• 2 weeks later...

The English-speaking parts of Asia are getting a separate English dub of Dragon Ball Super, but it's still being dubbed by Americans.

In this version, Lex Lang is Goku, and Kaiji Tang is Vegeta.

Both of those guys have voiced Kenshiro, the protagonist of Fist of the North Star.

• 1 month later...

Getting this started back up before one of the mods closes it.

• "Underground" is the only word in the English language that both starts and ends with "und."
  • Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia is the fear of long words.
  • The Chinese soft-shelled turtle urinates through its mouth.
  • Chuck Norris is the reason the lambs were silent.
  • Banging your head against the wall burns 150 calories an hour.

Sea Turtles can eat Jellyfish.

The Cartoon SpongeBob SquarePants was original ment to be a cartoon simular in content to the Simpson's.

The color yellow produced by technology screens is actually a mixture of red and green light.

Sea Turtles can eat Jellyfish.

The Cartoon SpongeBob SquarePants was original ment to be a cartoon simular in content to the Simpson's.

The color yellow produced by technology screens is actually a mixture of red and green light.

For the last one: that is true unless their is an RGBY screen in use, then you truly do have a vibrant color display.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

There is an underground city underneath Cappadocia, which were carved and constructed by Christians seeking refuge from Roman persecution.

The dubbed 'Arab numerals' actually originate from India.

Olive oil is great for healing skin and giving it natural nutrients, likewise with honey, and sandalwood oil, and lavender oil.

The original pagan cult of the Roman civilization was pantheistic until Greek influence rubbed off on it so much that the pre-Christian Romans transferred from pantheism to polytheism, making the two cultural traditions more like each other.

The Romans invented cement.

Before the Great Schism, the Pope's original title was the Patriarch of Rome, he being equals with the Patriarchs of Antioch, Jerusalem, and Alexandria during the post-Theodosian era of the Roman Empire. The Patriarch of Rome began to be distant from the Emperor and the other Patriarchs when he and affiliates forged the Donations of Constantine, which proclaimed that Constantine the Great had it in his will that the Patriarch of Rome would inherit the  imperial powers of Emperor. To legitimize this, they renamed themselves as the Pontifax Maximus. The Donation of Constantine would be a center part of debate in the Great Schism and integral to medieval western politics, and would not be discovered as a forgery via philology until the 1400's.

Dolphins and Hippos
Are closely related on the evolutionary tree.

Or at least just chemically close to one another. :P

Edited by Iaredios the Desert Dude

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

• A pineapple is actually a bunch of small berries fused together in a single mass.

Ugly people are more likely to get harsher prison sentences, as opposed to attractive people.

Cows have four different stomachs.

Palm trees are part of the grass family.

Mageirocophobia is the fear of cooking.

If you lift a kangaroo's tail off the ground, it can't hop.

One of the main plans for Adolf Hitler's plans for his victory of World War 2 was the destruction of Christianity. He was planning to attempt to wipe it off the planet  because it was too meek and peaceful for his vision for a German dominated Earth. Too 'weak' for the mighty 'Pure German' race. To befit his pure, invincible war-driven super race and nation, he was going to replace the religion of his people from Christianity to a fabricated  German-facist centered hybrid of Warrior Shintoism and Islam. He may have been raised a Catholic, but that certainly didn't leave any trace of pacifism into his adult life.

If that sounds crazy, well, it is, because not only was he a psychopath, but Adolf Hitler also had syphilis, tinnitus and took cocaine, as well as many other diseases and drugs. [The] man was a walking biohazard, and his crazy, ill and melting brain made him make erratic and illogical decisions, such as, for example, never accepting the demands of his generals to make tactical withdraws and better plan military maneuvers. By the mid 1940's he was popping pills all the time and God knows what else. 

Hitler was actually a pretty useless dictator while he was working too. Did you know he used to sleep in till noon, infuriating his subordinates?

Edited by CHTrilogy

~ CHTrilogy

• Facebook is predominantly blue in color because Mark Zuckerberg is red-green colorblind and blue is the "richest color" that he can see.

Joe Rogan paid $10,000 for a T1 internet connection in order to play Quake without lag.

Cacophobia is the fear of ugliness.

The number 172 can be found on the back of the US $5 bill, in the bushes at the base of the Lincoln Memorial.

Rats can chew through wood, cement, brick, lead, cinder blocks, and aluminum.

Avocados have the highest fiber and calories of any fruit.

The leg muscles of locusts are about 1,000 times more powerful than a human's.

When Joseph Gayetty invented toilet paper in 1857, he had his name printed on each sheet.

Edited by capMARVELOUS
  • Upvote 1

If that sounds crazy, well, it is, because not only was he a psychopath, but Adolf Hitler also had syphilis, tinnitus and took cocaine, as well as many other diseases and drugs. [The] man was a walking biohazard, and his crazy, ill and melting brain made him make erratic and illogical decisions, such as, for example, never accepting the demands of his generals to make tactical withdraws and better plan military maneuvers. By the mid 1940's he was popping pills all the time and God knows what else. 

Hitler was actually a pretty useless dictator while he was working too. Did you know he used to sleep in till noon, infuriating his subordinates?

Only good things he did were proving fascism isn't a good idea (which means that your race/nationality is the supreme one and all others should be destroyed), sped up technological progress (though they were ordered for purposes of destruction they would be used for other purposes after WW2), and he captured two Rothschild family members and stripped them of their wealth and gave it back to the people. The man was an evil idiot with everything else.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

If too many pistachios are shipped in a single container, they will self-heat and experience spontaneous combustion.

Ancient Egyptians would shave off their eye brows while mourning the death of their cats.

Coca-Cola would be naturally green if it was not for food coloring.

The Humpty Dumpty Rhyme never says he is an egg.

Edited by ToaTimeLord II