What reboot does G2 remind you of?

Lenny7092

Hi, guys!:) We know that G2 existed and is a reboot, so I would like to ask you a question: what reboot does G2 remind you of?

For me, Bionicle G2 reminds me of Transformers toy line reboots and The Amazing Spider-Man movies in 2012 and 2014.

Transformers is similar to Bionicle because it is a toy line that rebooted with its own G2, which lasted shorter than G1, and the designs of the robotic characters (the robotic species that transform, including main ones, like Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, and Megatron) look more epic and detailed than their versions from the previous generation.

The Amazing Spider-Man movies are similar to Bionicle G2 because the movie series is a 2010's reboot of the original series in the 00's. It also lasted two years and two installments, which is much shorter than the original series. It was originally planned to last longer, but it got cancelled after having mixed reviews (That really broke my heart twice.:( ). The reused main characters look kind of different from their G1 versions as well. I made a list of other comparisons in this topic that I made: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/23229-bionicle-g2-and-the-amazing-spider-man-movies-are-alike/ . That is because I feel Bionicle G2 is more similar to The Amazing Spider-Man than the Transformers toy line reboots. I wonder if Lego took inspiration from TASM for how it was cancelled because Bionicle G2 and TASM are strangely similar? Perhaps Lego knew that Bionicle G2 has mixed reviews, so they took inspiration from TASM in order to make a better reboot (similar to Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War)?

So, there. What reboots does Bionicle G2 remind you of?:)

• Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Man, you really really like you spiderman comparisons, don't you?

Incidentally, Bionicle G2 eerily reminds me of Bionicle G1. I wonder why that could be...

Honestly though, say what you will about G2, but both generations of Bionicle are pretty unique when you think about it. I have a hard time coming up with a different IP that's truly similar beyond one or two common points. 

:kakama:

• Upvote 2

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Man, you really really like you spiderman comparisons, don't you?

Incidentally, Bionicle G2 eerily reminds me of Bionicle G1. I wonder why that could be...

Honestly though, say what you will about G2, but both generations of Bionicle are pretty unique when you think about it. I have a hard time coming up with a different IP that's truly similar beyond one or two common points.

Maybe G1 Transformers and year one of Beast Wars.

Would work but after that nothing rings any bells.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Any new Sonic the Hedgehog game.  There's a bunch of people saying "OH IT'S FANTASTIC", a bunch of people saying "OH IT'S AWFUL" and not many people in between.  There were some good parts to Gen2 - like there are good parts in the modern Sonic games - but it fails to capture what made the original material great.  In the end it's a nice tribute to that original material, but it never really surpasses it.  Then again, I guess you could say that about a lot of reboots.  I'm in a Sonic mood at the moment.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

There's a bunch of people saying "OH IT'S FANTASTIC", a bunch of people saying "OH IT'S AWFUL" and not many people in between.  There were some good parts to Gen2 [...] but it fails to capture what made the original material great.  In the end it's a nice tribute to that original material, but it never really surpasses it.  Then again, I guess you could say that about a lot of reboots.  

That works for me as well.

I'd say that all reboots, in terms of structure and feedback, are similar to one another. In terms of plot/concept, I'm not really familiar with any rebooted series that could be compared to Bionicle. It's a pretty unique theme.

Edited by Millennium

Can't say I know too many reboots similar to Bionicle, but the one off the top of my head is the Ben 10 reboot they did recently. They tried to bank off of the original but didn't know how to handle it and changed things that actually did work and ended up with a beast that satisfied no one and accomplished nothing. The original wasn't even an untouchable masterpiece, it had problems, but for what it was trying to do it really worked and accomplished a lot whereas the reboot is just soul-less, or in the least no real identity.

Can't say I know too many reboots similar to Bionicle, but the one off the top of my head is the Ben 10 reboot they did recently. They tried to bank off of the original but didn't know how to handle it and changed things that actually did work and ended up with a beast that satisfied no one and accomplished nothing. The original wasn't even an untouchable masterpiece, it had problems, but for what it was trying to do it really worked and accomplished a lot whereas the reboot is just soul-less, or in the least no real identity.

I noticed this with other newer reboots of themes.

They take original themes that had mature and complex material and to be blunt dumb them down.

Some examples being

Ben 10

Teen Titans

Bionicle

Sonic

Power Puff Girls

The newest Transformer series

And many others.

It is almost as if these marking and production companies think this new generation of children, are less intelligent than the previous.

(the previous being us)

It's really is a disservice to the next generation for them to be given simplistic content, when we were given much higher quality of media.

• Upvote 3

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

"Godzilla" '98, because it completely and utterly fails to hold any meaningful resemblance to its so-called "source material" whilst having a mediocre plot and poor acting.

• Upvote 2

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

• 2 weeks later...

Man, you really really like you spiderman comparisons, don't you?

Maybe G1 Transformers and year one of Beast Wars.

Would work but after that nothing rings any bells.

I think bionicle G2 bears far more similarities to Transformers' own G2 than it does to Beast Wars. Both lines were a lot like the originals, but without what made the originals as popular as they were. They both managed to do a few things better, but ultimately failed to catch on and were discontinued in around two years. 

• Upvote 2

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!