How does the passing of elemental powers work?

UnderscoreChronix

Hard to say. It could work that way, but the (officially, not leaked) recently-released set photos of next year's Ninjago line includes a set that features two characters that bear more than a passing resemblance to Kai and Nya's parents, with both of them in the set as well. If that's the case, then it's likely that they're still alive. Unless time travel is involved next year, I'd say the "passing on powers after death" is a definite no.

More likely, it's just genetic. The power is part of whoever carries that line of DNA or whatever.

Edited by The 1st Shadow

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to say. It could work that way, but the (officially, not leaked) recently-released set photos of next year's Ninjago line includes a set that features two characters that bear more than a passing resemblance to Kai and Nya's parents, with both of them in the set as well. If that's the case, then it's likely that they're still alive. Unless time travel is involved next year, I'd say the "passing on powers after death" is a definite no.

More likely, it's just genetic. The power is part of whoever carries that line of DNA or whatever.

Probably anyone in a bloodline of former elemental wielders has faint traces of it from birth, but it takes dedicated training to get it to respond or bring out even basic potential of use of their power.

Edited by necross hordika
  • Upvote 1

qs3135.jpg

• 1 month later...

Loyd had his power while Garmadon was alive.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

Loyd had his power while Garmadon was alive.

Lloyd's power seems to be an unusual case, since his powers and Garmadon's are not the same. Tommy Andreasen has said on Twitter that he considers Wu and Garmadon's powers Creation and Destruction, respectively, and doesn't consider them elemental in nature.

On another note, I prefer the term "hereditary" over "genetic" to describe how powers are passed down, since "genetic" implies that the passing down is somehow biological, and it would hard to reconcile that with how Lloyd's green energy was replaced by Morro's wind powers when he was possessed. Biologically, he was still Lloyd and not Morro, which seems to confirm that the passing down of powers, however it happens, is tied to a person's spirit, not their body.

• Upvote 2

It is certainly an interesting question, made more so by the fact that the original Master of Ice was-so far as we know-human, whereas Zane-the current master-is a robot. Makes you wonder how Zane received his powers, and whether or not Dr. Julien may have been connected in some way to the Master of Ice.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

It is certainly an interesting question, made more so by the fact that the original Master of Ice was-so far as we know-human, whereas Zane-the current master-is a robot. Makes you wonder how Zane received his powers, and whether or not Dr. Julien may have been connected in some way to the Master of Ice.

There's never been any sort of confirmation of how Zane got his powers, but personally I think it's tied to his mysterious power source. Perhaps his power source is like the crystals from Chen's staff that could absorb elemental power, and a crystal that had absorbed the powers of the former Master of Ice was later identified by Dr. Julien as a potential source of energy for his most treasured creation.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

What I want to know is why Kai, Zane, Jay, & Cole lost their elemental powers when they lost the golden weapons, but literally every other elemental user can use their elemental powers with no strings attached. The 4 original ninja only have elemental powers now because Lloyd gave up the rest of his golden power to give it to them or something at the Temple of Light. And as we saw in Season 5, the ninjas' powers are still tied to Lloyd.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

What I want to know is why Kai, Zane, Jay, & Cole lost their elemental powers when they lost the golden weapons, but literally every other elemental user can use their elemental powers with no strings attached. The 4 original ninja only have elemental powers now because Lloyd gave up the rest of his golden power to give it to them or something at the Temple of Light. And as we saw in Season 5, the ninjas' powers are still tied to Lloyd.

This is true, and it kinda bugs. It also seems a bit nonsensical that only those four Elements were embodied by Golden Weapons. I'd like to think that the four Ninja could unlock Elemental Powers of their own accord with some training, but it seems unlikely to happen given their reliance on Lloyd.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

This is true, and it kinda bugs. It also seems a bit nonsensical that only those four Elements were embodied by Golden Weapons. I'd like to think that the four Ninja could unlock Elemental Powers of their own accord with some training, but it seems unlikely to happen given their reliance on Lloyd.

Even with as many elements as there are in the current Ninjago storyline, I think there's still meant to be something unique and special about the original four elements. They're the elements that were used to create Ninjago, and might behave differently than the other elements in other ways.

Even with as many elements as there are in the current Ninjago storyline, I think there's still meant to be something unique and special about the original four elements. They're the elements that were used to create Ninjago, and might behave differently than the other elements in other ways.

Well, let's face it, apart from Energy, Wind and Water they're really the only ones that have been significant outside "The Tournament of Elements" season, which is probably my least favorite season of the show. Speaking of Wind, does anyone else think that Morro's demise might cause problems? I mean, if Wind is an Elemental Power meant to be possessed by someone in Ninjago and nobody has it anymore, couldn't that be disruptive?

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

• 3 weeks later...

One thing to consider is that when Kai first say Skylor using her "fire" powers, he assumed they were related somehow, thus bringing up the idea that multiple family members could have elemental powers at the same time. Granted, that might have been a misconception on his part and not how the actual show works (because Skylor's powers were actually amber anyway.)

The other thing about the Tournament of Elements was that most of the characters were called "Master of " their elements. To me, that sounds like there's potential for there to be other elemental users, but they don't have the same "mastery" of their powers yet. However, there's nothing in the show to really represent this. Besides Kai and Nya, none of the other ninjas have siblings to "share" their powers with, and most of their parents haven't been shown using their elemental powers while the ninja are around. :shrugs:

Based on some of the teasers I've seen of the upcoming season, I would be interested to know more about Cole's, Jay's, and Zane's lineage. Cole's dad didn't seem to think much of being a ninja when he was first introduced, so it would be odd if he was related (or married) to the former master of earth. (I mean, elemental masters aren't necessarily all ninjas, but they seem like fairly similar occupations.) Jay's parents are adopted, so we don't quite know where he got his powers. And Zane is a whole other story. I'd accept that Dr. Julien magically passed on his elemental abilities to his robot son without any technical explanation, 'cause stuff like that isn't that uncommon in the story, but it would still serve as an explanation.

:music:

Well, the videos Lego's released on Acronix and Krux do seem to hint that we'll be seeing more of the Elemental Masters from back in the day, whether through flashbacks or full on time travel.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs