Skrulk the Unkind

Nuju Metru

30323057184_1970b4356b_z.jpg

I build so many dragons-- so I decided it might be fun to try building one at a different scale! Meet Skrulk, an imposing fire dragon. (All pictures link to their larger versions)

30337043113_41c7579829_z.jpg30337054513_5690a46a72_z.jpg

From the start, I decided that I'd only be able to make a bust of a dragon. This was because of two factors: one, my limited parts, and two, stability/structual integrity concerns... It would have been a very different engineering challenge to build a full-size dragon at this scale. It's something I might do in future, but it'll certainly take more planning!

Having a poseable dragon was important to me, because it's a more fun display piece. I consistently played with balancing flexibility in Skrulk's neck with bulk and covering over vertebral joints.

I'm happy with how this bust came out; I think it looks solid from all angles. A simple grey base seemed the best choice to display this bust without upstaging the dragon head, but I also considered a wooden shield and even a mound of treasure as other base options.

30337063353_a4ae3cd2f7_z.jpg

Thanks for looking. If you've got any feedback, I'd love to hear it! Also, if you want to see more pictures, just check out my Flickr.

• Upvote 7

test2.png

Gorgeous! Someday I hope you are able to make a full dragon at this scale — judging from what you've come up with here, it would be amazing! You did a great job hiding the joints while still keeping the posability intact. The shape feels very coherent without losing its scaly, organic texture. The purple inside the mouth is a creative touch that works very well. Even the base is really tasteful in its simplicity.

• 2 weeks later...