Silliest Thing About Bionicle

The Red Star's resurrection capabilities, alternate universes galore, the complete squandering of the potential of the story for The Legend Reborn and Spherus Magna lore. Oh, and the multitudes of MU elements.

Bah-humbug!

But the TLR part I agree with.

The silliest thing of Bionicle was in one commercial just one.....

Maktudi the Bionic Man.

To be fair, they were making fun of the fact that parents couldn't remember the names of any of the characters.

That is sadly true in real life.

Dude, my parents.... My dad specifically didn't give a rats-back about the names half the time, and he decided to call the Polyp Sea Squids 'Snot Rockets'...

Also sorry I couldn't copy the whole quote intact, BZP was acting stupid and replaced the last quote with the info of the first in this post.

Edited by Toa Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Dude, my parents.... My dad specifically didn't give a rats-back about the names half the time, and he decided to call the Polyp Sea Squids 'Snot Rockets'...

I never had this problem, my parents are pretty cool with names and stuff like that.

i just saw the maktudi the bionic man commercial... it was great.

I liked G2.  :o

Also known as:

Aguyinahat

Aleksyi

also i write some and do some art, bad at both though.

New headcannon: all sea squids are barraki snot rockets

Yeah, in your dad's defense, they really do look more like boogers than squids.
  • Upvote 4

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

• 1 month later...

I just thought of something pretty silly: Why do a building contest for the Piraka fusion (Vezok+Reidak)? It's not necessary to do that. We could've have instructions on combining Vezok and Reidak into the Fusion instead. Why making him look like that he doesn't look like a fusion of Vezok and Reidak much? I mean, a skull-faced guy with yellow-and-blue-colored armor and a disk-like tip on the an awfully-long tail?

Anyway, I agree with you guys about Sea Squids looking like boogers. Perhaps they should be called "Sea Boogers". Lol.:P Man, why call them Sea "Squids" when they look more like boogers, like you said? Silly, and kinda bothers me. I think they should've been called "Sea Leeches" or "Squid Leeches" in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I just thought of something pretty silly: Why do a building contest for the Piraka fusion (Vezok+Reidak)? It's not necessary to do that. We could've have instructions on combining Vezok and Reidak into the Fusion instead. Why making him look like that he doesn't look like a fusion of Vezok and Reidak much? I mean, a skull-faced guy with yellow-and-blue-colored armor and a disk-like tip on the an awfully-long tail?

Anyway, I agree with you guys about Sea Squids looking like boogers. Perhaps they should be called "Sea Boogers". Lol.:P Man, why call them Sea "Squids" when they look more like boogers, like you said? Silly, and kinda bothers me. I think they should've been called "Sea Leeches" or "Squid Leeches" in my opinion.

Leeches actually totally works. I know they were called "Polyps" in Europe, which I think is a type of coral. But Leeches actually fits so well. They look like them, and they're scary.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Yeah, especially when you consider the Piraka combiner models that lacked even the storyline significance of the Rahi from the previous year. Or even put Irnakk or Umbra there in place of or in addition to their prior appearances to give them a little more validity as sets.

• Upvote 2

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

• 3 weeks later...

The Rebuilding! Leave the mctoran alone!

Also in Bionicle Legends #2 I think, the whole plot in Kharzani is just an elaborate excuse for the sets not having their respective matoran's masks, It's a cool subplot, but I find it a tad silly

• Upvote 1

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClo2J14RKmVtcnoJTv7g6PA , Bionicle films coming soon!

the fact that lego ended g1 just before mata nui and his friends were going to go on a big adventure. they could have just done another wave giving the story a proper ending that was satisfying but no we got the stars and some big battle that to be honest made no sense anyway

• Upvote 2

S    Q       U    I       D     M     A     S     T     E    R

check out my imgur gallery for bionicle photography: https://mahatparthiban.imgur.com/all/

The Rebuilding! Leave the mctoran alone!

Also in Bionicle Legends #2 I think, the whole plot in Kharzani is just an elaborate excuse for the sets not having their respective matoran's masks, It's a cool subplot, but I find it a tad silly

You may be right on the money there. The saddest thing was the so-called payoff: they act like Karzahni's going to be a serious threat to the universe and he ends up getting his butt kicked by Teridax, captured by the Order of Mata Nui, and then done in by Velika. Not silly so much as sad.

• Upvote 2

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry to be off topic but can someone please fill us in on exactly what Greg said about the Kakama that has everyone riled up?

I'm mighty curious about this tidbit too

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Sea squids. Fun idea, horrible toy execution

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Toa Inika heads. Mainly because they were advertised as being glow in the dark (how cool would that have been, pitch blackness, and all you see of the heroes and villains were glowing eyes and mouths), and because you couldn't swap out their masks like the previous years.

• Upvote 1

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

The Bohrok coming from Av-Matoran. Aside from winking back at the fact that the Bahrag said the Toa were related to the Bohrok, this wasn't important and didn't change anything. Plus, the Bohrok are supposed to be nearly limitless to get their job done as quickly as they can. How could there be enough Av-Matoran to satisfy the need for an army of destructive robots? The Bohrok also had deployed and returned to slumber several times, I would assume, over the course of their existence. What is the point of adding to their number as they go? Sure, maybe some get destroyed and/or damaged during their missions, but simply replacing them with sapient Matoran seems like such an overly complicated method of doing things as opposed to maybe wiring the Bohrok Va to also function as mechanics. Heck, let them use their Krana as added brain power if that's necessary. 

(If I'm wrong about any of my postulations, let me know)

• Upvote 3

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

Um..the fact that they live in a giant robot..and it all happened in said robot..would be my main silly thing about bionicle.

Gonna have to disagree with this one. This was one of the most epic plot revelations of any series that I can think of off the top of my head. it's what tied the entire bionicle story together really.

• Upvote 6

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

Um..the fact that they live in a giant robot..and it all happened in said robot..would be my main silly thing about bionicle.

Gonna have to disagree with this one. This was one of the most epic plot revelations of any series that I can think of off the top of my head. it's what tied the entire bionicle story together really.

I also disagree; the "giant robot" reveal sounds kind of stupid when you summarize it in a single sentence, but regardless of BIONICLE's declining quality in other regards, the big reveal was excellently conceived and executed. I do believe someone on BZPower figured it out a few months before the official reveal, but due to how much time had passed and how many hints LEGO had been dropping over the years, that ultimately made its confirmation feel very fulfilling as a member of a fanbase that figured it out, rather than spoiled.

• Upvote 6

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

The Red Star.
I like it's enigmatic presence in the early years, but it's later uses utterly confused me and at times got under my skin. What a strange plot device it became.
The alternate universes with Takanuva, while interesting, seemed to jump about too much just for the sake of utilising the Olmak in some fashion. 
The next would be my love/hate relationship with the revelation of Mata Nui being a giant robot. I like the idea, and I like where they were going with the idea, but I feel its execution in the end was underwhelming. It felt like it was somehow competing for attention with the Spherus Magna Glatorian shenanigans. 
As best as I can remember on the spot, those are the points that gripe with me the most.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's another thing: the fact that all the events from 2001-2010 (2004-2005 excluded) has happened in one year. Okay, we do not know how long a Bionicle year is; ok, maybe matoran and other creatures don't undergo the same psychological stress that we do...but really? All the great stuff happens in one year? Metru Nui is rebuilt in less than a year? There are 100.000+ years of virtually nothing worth mentioning?

I second this. I always assumed that the Toa Mata's quest for all of their masks took several months and the books/other sources gave us the important snippets when they actually find said masks. I always thought there were interim periods between events, which would have buffed out the period from the Mata's arrival on Mata Nui to the activation of the Codrex to several years, especially with all the traveling and scavenger hunting that the story was full of.

To be honest, my brain literally just ignores the "one year" idea whenever I read the books or comics. It makes no sense. It makes more sense for each "year" to have lasted almost a year, for some of them at least. 01-03 definitely should've lasted at least 2 years, Voya Nui was easily six months or more, by the time the Nuva traveled there, Jaller and co. traveled there, became Toa, and all the rest. 07 probably took place over a relatively short period of time, but the events of 08 and the "Destiny War" must've lasted at least a year or longer. The entire premise of the whole series only taking place in one year is ludicrous.

• Upvote 3

Here's another thing: the fact that all the events from 2001-2010 (2004-2005 excluded) has happened in one year. Okay, we do not know how long a Bionicle year is; ok, maybe matoran and other creatures don't undergo the same psychological stress that we do...but really? All the great stuff happens in one year? Metru Nui is rebuilt in less than a year? There are 100.000+ years of virtually nothing worth mentioning?

I second this. I always assumed that the Toa Mata's quest for all of their masks took several months and the books/other sources gave us the important snippets when they actually find said masks. I always thought there were interim periods between events, which would have buffed out the period from the Mata's arrival on Mata Nui to the activation of the Codrex to several years, especially with all the traveling and scavenger hunting that the story was full of.

To be honest, my brain literally just ignores the "one year" idea whenever I read the books or comics. It makes no sense. It makes more sense for each "year" to have lasted almost a year, for some of them at least. 01-03 definitely should've lasted at least 2 years, Voya Nui was easily six months or more, by the time the Nuva traveled there, Jaller and co. traveled there, became Toa, and all the rest. 07 probably took place over a relatively short period of time, but the events of 08 and the "Destiny War" must've lasted at least a year or longer. The entire premise of the whole series only taking place in one year is ludicrous.

The whole one year thing is so weird, especially when Makuta himself says in the first Rahkshi comic that the events of MNOG were "years ago".

• Upvote 1

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClo2J14RKmVtcnoJTv7g6PA , Bionicle films coming soon!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably the fact that Mata Nui turned out to be a giant robot with an entire world contained inside, oceans, islands, undersea caverns and all.

That they live in a giant robot!

GSR Mata Nui vs Unicron, anyone?

Note to self; send that one to Screw Attack.

But in all seriousness, it did come across as weird to me as well that the whole Matoran Universe was in fact Mata Nui's body. Now, if they had made Mata Nui as a gaint robot who had been sent to that planet to build the Matoran on the behalf of the Great Beings then I wouldn't have minded.

I still think that the whole "the GSR is only several hundred kilometers less than the diameter of the Earth" is way too much though; a height that equals roughly 12,000 km is gargantuan to the point where I wonder how the thing holds itself together and doesn't fall apart under its own gravitic pull. From an engineering perspective it's held together with spit, wishes, and prayer (then again, that last one might just do it, considering Unity is one of their three main values at the core of their belief system). If Mata Nui had been roughly, say 10 kilometers tall (which is 10,000 meters, or 32,808.4, feet tall), giant but by no means the size of a planet, then it would have made more sense, IMHO, but having it so big that it dwarfs all but the final two forms of the titular mecha of the anime Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan is a bit much unless the Great Beings did in fact envision Mata Nui to fight off a cosmic-scale threat.

PS: The Earth's atmosphere is roughly 100 km in height. If the GSR was even just 10 km tall, it'd stand 1/10th of the way to SPACE.

The Red Star.

I like it's enigmatic presence in the early years, but it's later uses utterly confused me and at times got under my skin. What a strange plot device it became.

The alternate universes with Takanuva, while interesting, seemed to jump about too much just for the sake of utilising the Olmak in some fashion. 

The next would be my love/hate relationship with the revelation of Mata Nui being a giant robot. I like the idea, and I like where they were going with the idea, but I feel its execution in the end was underwhelming. It felt like it was somehow competing for attention with the Spherus Magna Glatorian shenanigans. 

As best as I can remember on the spot, those are the points that gripe with me the most.

I like the Red Star, to be honest, and actually am one of the few that liked the idea that it was normally able to rebuild the dead, which would make sense as a tie-in to Bionicle and Lego being a building toy which is meant to be built, then rebuilt.

My thought on an alternate story of the Red Star is for it to have been a sort of "recording device" that kept track of, and recorded, the memories of every living thing that Mata Nui had ever built. Upon death, their minds would be taken in by the Red Star and become a part of it, sort of like an afterlife, where they would effectively exist with a portion of Mata Nui's spirit in a state similar to Nirvana.

That's the primary retcon idea.

The second one is that the Red Star would do the same as the original but with a twist; the individual's soul WOULD be taken in by the Red Star and their memories recorded. If they led a decent life by the principles of Unity, Duty, and Destiny, then they'd be allowed to stay. If not, their spirits would be sent back to the island below, put into new bodies (which were remotely built by the Red Star), and thus reincarnated into forms that would allow them to start over again. Upon learning the principles of Unity, Duty, and Destiny, and their following death, they'd go back to the Red Star for good where they could then access the memories of their past lives and learn from the experience.

Again, this is drawing on the notion of Buddhist and Hindu reincarnation and enlightenment.

I also had the idea of Turaga, certain Toa, other beings, and Chroniclers, especially, being able to tap into the Red Star's data banks to learn VERY SMALL FRAGMENTS of the wisdom of others in order to help others along the way.

Edited by Tahu92
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...