Short Stories Contest #8: Winners!

Velox

ssbanner.png

Judged Winners - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -------------- - - -- -- - Polled Winners

First Place: #39: Fractures - by GSR - - - ------------- - ---- - - - -- - - -First Place: #37: Ignition - by Legolover-361Second Place: #28: All Our Sins Remembered - by Aderia: Toa of Ducklings - - - - - Second Place: #25: Divided We Fall - by Grant-SudThird Place: #2: The Coming of the Toa - by Tolkien - - -- - --- - - ---- - ----- - - Third Place: #16: Dreams of Darkness - by Riisiing Moon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------[

Poll Topic]Honorable Mentions[in order of entry, not rank]

#6:

12.5 - by Shyyrn

#11:

Deep into Darkness - by cap'n k#12: The Exile's Tale - by Nuile: Crazy Writer

#18:

What Lurks Below - by Inferna Firesword

#24:

Showdown - by Taipu1

#33:

Rebirth - by Peach 00

Prizes: GSR, Aderia, Tolkien, Legolover-361, Grant Sud, and Riisiing Moon will receive prototypes, courtesy of Black Six, along with, of course, eternal fame and glory.Next, I'd like to give a huge thank-you to our contest judges:-Nuju Metru-Lloyd: the White Wolf-Tolkien-Snoopy82-xccj-Tre Cool-Toa of Dancing-Eeko-55555-VeloxThey were all extremely awesome, and I'm so thankful that we were able to get all our results in so quick.Additionally, I'd like to give an enormous thank-you shout-out to 55555, Ziko, Friar Tuck, xccj, and Nuju Metru who were incredibly helpful throughout this contest and in planning this contest.Lastly, I'd like to thank everyone who participated in this contest. I hope you'll forgive a few hiccups that we had, and 55555 and I definitely have learned from this and hope to make future contests even better. Congrats to all, thank you again, and we'll see you again soon!newso1.png

Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

I won honorable mention! This is a great honor. :)Props to the winners. I read a bunch of the stories, and I enjoyed them a lot--I can see why they won. Enjoy your pieces!Thank you, judges, for appraising my work and judging it worthy. Perhaps now I will flesh it out and actually explain what happens to the characters. :PThank you again,Shyyrn

"Let me realize that my past failures at follow-through are no indication of my future performance...

...They're just healthy little fires that are going to light up my resolve."

Yes! I was hoping to see Aderia's entry up here! Good to see she got second. ^^Well, I didn't win anything, but I still had loads of fun with this contest (considering I posted my first ever short story into this contest, I'm not at all surprised. Even so, I got a good deal of feedback for my story and one very, very helpful review from the SSCC). I'll see you guys around the Short Story forum. ^^Anyway, it looks like I've got some good reading ahead of me. Congratulations again to the winners! =D

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

Congrats to my good friend Legolover-361 for winning the people's choice! :biggrin:

I'm BACK!!!!!!!!

PM me if you want your comics or movie's reviewed by a guy who loves Bum Reviews!

bum_review_spoof_new1.pngP.S. I am not Doug Walker, nor do I claim to be.

Dark709 Fanmovie CHECK OUT DARK709's COMICS AND MOVIES!

Darthbrandon14's "ESCAPE FROM DARKNESS", coming soon

IF YOU WANT TO GUEST STAR, PM ME ASAP! GIVE ME A "RAZOR" SPRITESHEET! DON'T POST IN MY COMICS!

new_comic_banner.gif

Not even a mention for the losing people's choice contestants? Bah. :P Anyway, I haven't actually read the first and second place judged winners from start to finish, so I'll have to get around to that. Congrats to all final placers! Such an awesome contest, with such open options for stories and such a huge number of entries. I'm a bit confused about a couple entries that didn't make the polls, judge choice, or honorable mentions, but hey, there were a lot of entries. They can't all be winners. :PAgain, good job to basically everyone who made that top post there! (Plus Cederak and Sumiki. Just 'cause. :P)

exo-toa_battle.jpg

Congrats to the winners, they definitely deserve their places. ^_^ *raises glass of sparkling cider in toast*

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

I feel honored to have placed so high in this competition, especially among plenty of well-written entries. Thank you, judges, for deeming my story worthy of the People's Choice poll, and thank you, voters and reviewers, for reading and enjoying it. I greatly enjoyed writing my entry and am glad to see my enjoyment translated into a great story.I would like to offer a great congratulations to the other People's Choices and the Judge's Choices -- I read all those stories, and they were great. A somewhat quieter but no less well-meaning congratulations to the Honorable Mentions; remember that even though you didn't win here, there's always next contest. Lastly, to all entrants, good luck in your future writing endeavors.

First off, I swore there were three really good stories missing from the Public Polls. I had a feeling they'd make a reappearance and they did. :3All three of the Judges Winners are excellent tales, but unfortunately I haven't completely finished The Coming of the Toa. Fractures and All Our Sins Remembered were easily the most original plots.I don't think I've seen another Short Story that portrays Tren Krom so well, and the writing style is on par with Tolkien's. It's overall meaning of fate, and the flowing plot, deserves the top spot, so congratulations!As for Aderia's you can feel the turmoil of the main Toa as the story goes on. What was probably the best thing though, and I don't mean to spoil anything, but what threw me off was that these mental manifestations ended up becoming something real. It wasn't just an evil he fought in himself, but something he had to handle physically and imo that's what really set the story apart.I'm going to get to Tolkien's as well, and I don't mean to leave him out. What I've read so far is excellent.I'm glad to see a few honorable mentions that I had my eye on from the beginning. My only disappointment was the fact that Hanging by a Thread by Elzy, didn't make it on that list. It's a great story and written well. ^_^ Also for the honor mention 12.5, I'm singling it out forthe chosen title and plot which were just flippin unique. Very glad that one was mentioned as well.All That Glitters, All Our Sins Remembered and To Trap a Tahnok were also excellent entries that made it into the public polls, and no one should forget that. :)Besides that, the contest was a blast and hopefully we'll all be able to do it again soon! Congrats everyone!

Edited by The Great Grant in the Sky

whwhwhawhawhatUm. Wow. Thank you! To be honest, I felt bad about not having time to revise my entry as much as I would have liked before submitting (in fact I was thinking about taking it down until such time as I can), and I felt a lot of the other fics were really good (even if I didn't have time to read them all), so this is a really big surprise. Congratulations to all the other winners as well!

Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Congrats to the winners and honorable mentions!Even though I didn't vote for it, I think Ignition definitely deserved to win. I'm going to need to read Fractures now, though, just to see what it is like.-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)