Should Stone get the boot?

Sir Keksalot

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Stone needs to stick around. Replacing Air with Jungle was acceptable because Air always had strong thematic ties to jungle-type environments, and because Jungle still retained some air-based powers as part of its repertoire. Stone, though, has been a prominent quirk of Bionicle since the beginning, and should not be replaced.

As for the whole "definition of Bionicle" debate, even G1 never completely phased out the Mata/Nuva, just moved them to the background. The reboot demonstrated that you can make some pretty dramatic changes without diluting the brand too much, but the original 6 heroes should be somewhere, even if they're not the protagonists.

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

Anyway.  Maybe instead of being Stone, Pohatu could be a Toa of Dust - he could whip up sandstorms, create mirages, leech moisture out of the air and bring on heatwaves.  It's kindof like Stone but I think having him as a Toa of Dust or Desert would be cool.

Oh, and to answer the original question, no. Pohatu will always be the Toa of Stone. We love him too much to allow that. :P Unless the Environments route is taken, then everyone changes, and I see no harm in that.

Firstly, "environments" restrict the addition of more characters if Lego would decide to go that route at any point. There's only 6, maybe seven environments to go with. Second, just changing the elemental roster solves this problem with far less complication; if their powers are designed to all be different, there's nothing to question. Third, making Pohatu a Toa of Iron wouldn't do anything harmful to him, no more than making Lewa a Toa of "Jungle" harms him.

Thought:  There could be a lot of environments.  Tunnels (the Maze, the Underworld), Sky, Jungle, Volcano, Desert, Undersea (the Depths), Glacier, City, Storm.  These could tie to Earth, Air, the Green, Fire, Stone, Water, Ice, Iron, and Lightning, respectively.  The idea that each Toa has the power of a certain environment is only as limited as one's imagination when coming up with said environments.

Going this way of thinking, I would like to think Light and Shadow would be two different sides of a Star environment - the radiant Light of a supernova and the Shadows of a black hole.

• Upvote 2

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Anyway.  Maybe instead of being Stone, Pohatu could be a Toa of Dust - he could whip up sandstorms, create mirages, leech moisture out of the air and bring on heatwaves.  It's kindof like Stone but I think having him as a Toa of Dust or Desert would be cool.

Oh, and to answer the original question, no. Pohatu will always be the Toa of Stone. We love him too much to allow that. :P Unless the Environments route is taken, then everyone changes, and I see no harm in that.

Firstly, "environments" restrict the addition of more characters if Lego would decide to go that route at any point. There's only 6, maybe seven environments to go with. Second, just changing the elemental roster solves this problem with far less complication; if their powers are designed to all be different, there's nothing to question. Third, making Pohatu a Toa of Iron wouldn't do anything harmful to him, no more than making Lewa a Toa of "Jungle" harms him.

Thought:  There could be a lot of environments.  Tunnels (the Maze, the Underworld), Sky, Jungle, Volcano, Desert, Undersea (the Depths), Glacier, City, Storm.  These could tie to Earth, Air, the Green, Fire, Stone, Water, Ice, Iron, and Lightning, respectively.  The idea that each Toa has the power of a certain environment is only as limited as one's imagination when coming up with said environments.

Going this way of thinking, I would like to think Light and Shadow would be two different sides of a Star environment - the radiant Light of a supernova and the Shadows of a black hole.

Maybe... but metal cities or an environment surrounded by constant storms (let alone space-based environments) would generally feel less grounded in the context of a primitive island culture than biomes like volcanoes, deserts, caves, or snow-covered mountains. So while those sorts of environments work in a more overt sci-fi theme like Throwbots/Slizers, they'd be harder to reconcile with the general tone that both Bionicle G1 and G2 have started with.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Maybe... but metal cities or an environment surrounded by constant storms (let alone space-based environments) would generally feel less grounded in the context of a primitive island culture than biomes like volcanoes, deserts, caves, or snow-covered mountains. So while those sorts of environments work in a more overt sci-fi theme like Throwbots/Slizers, they'd be harder to reconcile with the general tone that both Bionicle G1 and G2 have started with.

The point is that there are options for having powers based on environments rather than specific elements. They wouldn't have to use more than the usual six unless they felt a serious need to.

• Tahu = volcano
  • Pohatu = desert
  • Onua = underground
  • Lewa = jungle
  • Gali = ocean
  • Kopaka = tundra and ice-covered mountain

The other suggestions were meant to include powers like Gravity (space) and Iron (city), but again, there's no need to actually use them unless it was absolutely necessary.The standard six work perfectly. 

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

• 2 months later...

One could argue that the one common character throughout the whole story was Mata-Nui, and thus without Mata-Nui BIONICLE would cease to be BIONICLE, yet when G2 came around, it was also still BIONICLE even with Mata Nui's absense.

I think I just canonized G2: Ekimu is supposed to be the Mata Nui of the Prototype Robot. I know this has nothing to do with this discussion, so here's something that does. Stone is the manipulation of the physical aspect of the Earth, and Earth is the manipulation of seismic and tectonic energies. Stone and Earth are then two different elements, and we don't have to get rid of either of them. Edited by Tessiln the Mask Maker

One could argue that the one common character throughout the whole story was Mata-Nui, and thus without Mata-Nui BIONICLE would cease to be BIONICLE, yet when G2 came around, it was also still BIONICLE even with Mata Nui's absense.

I think I just canonized G2: Ekimu is supposed to be the Mata Nui of the Prototype Robot. I know this has nothing to do with this discussion, so here's something that does. Stone is the manipulation of the physical aspect of the Earth, and Earth is the manipulation of seismic and tectonic energies. Stone and Earth are then two different elements, and we don't have to get rid of either of them.

Um...I don't think there was supposed to be a Mata Nui for the prototype robot. Anyway, the series seems to do fine with the two as separate elements.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge