New Construction line?

ToaTImeLord

Hello I recently have seen a confirmed Lego image of a glowing I on a black background.

Many rumors are going around that's it's a Hero Factory reboot or a new form of exo force.

And the big rumor is it Bionicle G3?

If anyone can find the image please post it in the topic I can't find one that's useable.

Edited by ToaTimeLord

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Here's LEGO's post about it and here's what they say:

We are so close to revealing an awesome new play experience that boosts your child’s creativity! Watch out for more coming soon...

I can't see any way someone could infer that it's a new constraction theme.

And I extra can't see how anyone could think it's another BIONICLE line, given that G2 just ended this year.

Seriously, it's a vertical line, it says nothing on its own; the only thing that gives any kind of hint is the statement, which implies that it's some form of new media or interactive thing rather than a new theme.

• Upvote 4

OpAXNpl.jpg

Ah man, whatever this is, this seems pretty cool. *crosses fingers for LEGO UNIVERSE sequel*

EDIT: Here's an interesting comment:

Commenter: "BIonicle g3? or was the cancellation just a joke? Please tell me it was a joke lego"

LEGO: "We can't say anything just yet....shhhhh"

Just putting this out there. If anything, it isn't something to get too excited about. We'll have to wait and see.

Edited by Spoopy Imrukii
  • Upvote 1

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Ah man, whatever this is, this seems pretty cool. *crosses fingers for LEGO UNIVERSE sequel*

Commenter: "BIonicle g3? or was the cancellation just a joke? Please tell me it was a joke lego"

Just putting this out there. If anything, it isn't something to get too excited about. We'll have to wait and see.

That strikes me more as the kind of "we can't confirm or deny" comment that is meant to try and avoid followup questions.

I think a new Constraction theme is in fact one of many possibilities for this announcement (since, after all, we know that Constraction is still a priority for Lego even with no new themes announced yet). But I definitely don't think it's Bionicle G3 or a continuation of G2 or G1—if it were, Lego would come out and say it to clear up confusion about the theme's cancellation rather than stringing people along with vague teasers. And the wording of the announcement (addressing parents specifically, treating the announcement as something revolutionary, and touting educational opportunities) still sounds more like some sort of media- or tech-related endeavor than an announcement of a new story theme.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

That's the comment that sparked the tumblr debate if it's G3.

I think it could be a new construction theme that might be a cousin to Bionicle. Like a villager based sets maybe called something cheesy like Okoto or Matoran.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

They just put out a new teaser. "The answer will be revealed on January 4, 2017".

Based on the latest teaser I expect it to be either a new iteration of Mindstorms or something related to the Power Functions 2.0 system introduced in the educational WeDo 2.0 sets (possibly both, if the next Mindstorms version transitions to Power Functions 2.0 rather than the Mindstorms-only system of motors and sensors used in the NXT and EV3). If it is a new version of Mindstorms, I'd be curious what advantages it will offer... EV3 is already fairly advanced technologically, but there could be advantages like something more compact that could be more easily integrated into smaller or more crowded builds.

Whatever it is, I suppose we don't have long to wait!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Speaking of Mindstorms, it would be cool if this turned out to be the announcement of a Lego brick case for a Raspberry Pi and an official interface for controlling mindstorm components from a pi. Bonus points if it included a command line interface or libraries for writing raw C++/Python programs to work with mindstorms.

Mindstorm is cool, but the cost of Lego's own control bricks make getting started a bit too cost prohibitive in my mind.

Just so you know, I'm blinad

Mindstorms would make a lot of sense. To date, most new versions of Mindstorms have come around every three or four years on average (RCX in 1999, RCX 2.0 in 2001, NXT in 2006, NXT 2.0 in 2009, and EV3 in 2013). So by that argument we should be due for a new one somewhat soon.

Mindstorm is cool, but the cost of Lego's own control bricks make getting started a bit too cost prohibitive in my mind.

Were they ever not cost prohibitive? The Robotics Invention System cost $200 when it came out, and the RCX brick itself cost $110 (today, that's the equivalent of $295 and $162, respectively). That's less than the cost of the EV3 set and EV3 brick ($350 and $190, respectively), but it's certainly not small potatoes.

I really hope it isn't something digital, to be honest. It being a new iteration of Mindstorms sound plausible, since that line was something of a "pioneer" within Lego when it comes to experimenting with new ways to encourage creativity and learning. 

An interesting prospect would be to see a constraction line with smaller-scale power functions. As in, Toa-scaled sets with motors and sensors and other bells and whistles. It wouldn't be as advanced as Mindstorms, but would rather rely on those smaller remotes that were used in things like the big black dino, and the smaller RC cars from a few years ago (I can't think of more recent examples, since I haven't followed Lego since 2009, and in the past two years only followed Bionicle).

Motorized CCBS figures would be cool, and big enough of an innovation to warrant all of this buildup.

I'm fairly sure there already exists one of the smaller motors that could be integrated into a Toa-sized constraction figure to facilitate the arm-swinging function, albeit in an inelegant way.

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

On the Mindstorms discussion, it's overwhelmingly obvious in the hobby robotics space that LEGO has both priced their way away from their competitors and moved too far away from what they initially offered. The RCX and NXT were small, essentially real-time devices with firmware. The EV3 takes a minute to load up a custom flavor of Linux. In the hobby robotics world, people use Arduino boards to meet one of those needs, and Raspberry Pi computer-on-a-boards for the other. While being able to boot up a server on a LEGO product is awesome in my book, it's probably way beyond the needs and desires of the typical robotics team or amateur wanting to tinker with robotics. This may have been a side effect of how much of LEGO's product offering's can be tied up in robotics kids, but to stay comparable to how newbies approach robotics today, LEGO would have had to make something like the NXT and something like the EV3 available at the same time. Kids these days think nothing of hacking up a project that uses both Arduinos (for handling motors, sensors, and real-time components) and Raspberry Pis (for communication, networking, and ease of use), but someone wanting a similar capability from LEGO will have to mix in a platform that isn't widely available anymore.

...and $30 will cover the cost of either platform (Arduino or Raspberry Pi). Sure, you'll pay more for "shields", "hats", motors, sensors, etc, but most of the time that will add up to less than the cost of an EV3. As it stands now, someone buying a new LEGO robotics set is essentially purchasing the convenience of having things ready out-of-the-box and being able to use it easily with other LEGO parts. Someone who doesn't need LEGO compatibility isn't going to go to LEGO for easy-to-use robotics anymore, even though they would have when the RCX came out. WeDo has only been released in the educational market, and has (so far) been rather limited when not attached to a PC. We are definitely due for a new robotics platform - probably something fairly low end to complement the EV3 (similar to how Spybotics, Cybermaster, the Scout, and the Microscout complemented the more high-powered RCX). Bonus points if they find a way to deliver a passable robotics kit for under $100.

Then again, they don't listen to me, so we could be barking up the wrong tree entirely.

As for the Bionicle G3 rumor - I highly doubt it. Lines don't get cut that suddenly without a good reason. An awesome new platform out of LEGO Futura could do that, but seems unlikely. A new licensed line that Bionicle would directly compete with is more likely - and that category could include arbitrary changes related to the Star Wars figure line.

its lego boost

*weep weep*

S    Q       U    I       D     M     A     S     T     E    R

check out my imgur gallery for bionicle photography: https://mahatparthiban.imgur.com/all/

It wasn't LEGO Tetris after all? You've betrayed me, LEGO. I'm officially boycotting your products until you give into my unreasonable demands! You'd better take a picture because you won't be seeing this handsome face for a long time!

• Upvote 2

mindeth the cobwebs

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't LEGO Tetris after all? You've betrayed me, LEGO. I'm officially boycotting your products until you give into my unreasonable demands! You'd better take a picture because you won't be seeing this handsome face for a long time!

Ahem. The definitive satire here has already been written, back in 2003: http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=43860

Ahem. The definitive satire here has already been written, back in 2003: http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=43860
Not gonna lie; I need to read all that. It sounds like some good satire. However, the main difference is that I'm refusing to outright buy LEGO's products while the unhappy customer(s) are still buying them. I'm revolutionizing the series of complaints. That's how next-gen my complaining is. :D

mindeth the cobwebs