Hardcover Books

TheSkeletonMan939

You have to be a little bit of an old-timer to remember this, but in 2008 the most-excellent Makuta's Guide to the Universe was released only on the Lego website. It was beautifully designed and written (ignoring the occasional typo), and its importance was magnified by the fact that it was hardcover, baby!

The following year, Mata Nui's Guide to Bara Magna was written but with a bit more limited release: as far as I know it could only be found across the pond (i.e. not in the US of A). Again, it was in thrilling hardcover! Fortunately I secured a copy from overseas and it was just as gorgeous as its predecessor.

In 2011 or 2012 when Papercutz still was releasing Bionicle stuff, one of their last hurrahs was re-releasing these two books, albeit in a smaller size and in softcover. But I'm not talking about that - what I'm wondering is how many people here have the hardcover versions of these books. I'd just like to gauge how many people actually were able to grab them when they were initially sold, and if I was lucky - or if there were enough copies to go around.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

I have one of the larger hardcover versions, but I managed to grab it on eBay this year for $6 in like-new condition. I'd say I made of with a steel.

Edited by Azon
  • Upvote 1

Gleaming glistens The Red Star,
Bringing life to death afar,
Up away in deepest space,
You call me from your distant place.

Proud member of the Kanohi Force (Disavowed, but never dead)

I had the hardcovers of both, but they were both from eBay. I wasn't able to save up enough money for Makuta's guide before it sold out on Shop at Home.

While the hardcovers are nice, what I do like about the softcovers was that they matched the proportions of the previous guides from Scholastic and fit with them quite well on a shelf - props to Papercutz for that.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

I have the former but not the latter.

Fun fact: fancy hardcover reference guides like Makuta's Guide to the Universe, while published by Scholastic in the U.S., are actually designed by a Polish studio called AMEET. They are the same company that is responsible for other fancy hardcover books like the Legends of Chima "Book of Chi", as well as  the Nexo Knights books "The Book of Monsters" and "The Knights Code". They also are responsible for the cheaper paperback activity books that typically come packaged with a figure, small build, or other collectible, like the "Quest for the Masks of Power" book that included Ekimu's gold and blue Protector mask.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'd forgotten about Ameet's special deal with Lego. They also published those The Crossing books, didn't they? Where each booklet had a chapter or something?
A shame that never was released in English. And Mr. Farshtey has probably lost the text by now. Alas.

I have a hardcover of Makuta's Guide to the Universe. I actually bought it in a store. I don't recall where though.

Ditto. At least, I don't remember having had to buy it online...

Weird... I recall it being a "Shop @ Home" exclusive, and that it sold out after a month or two.

I have both as well. In hardcover, that is. I didn't get either first-hand though, but that doesn't mean that they're in poor condition. They're great.

Edited by Inary the Gunhaver

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y: