Lego what have you done!

ToaTImeLord

Bzpower I recently discovered new off of YouTube and Facebook that Disney has offered to purchase the Bionicle trademark. Apparently the deal is being finalized this month.

What dose this mean for Bionicle?

Pros it gets the funding needed to support it.

Cons the only way were getting sets is if they create a movie.

Here's the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Eqhq_CZ2Y

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Did you actually look at the thread the video references? Clearly, this guy is taking the urine (really, that's censored?). There is zero evidence to back this up, and even if Disney would be interested in buying Bionicle, I highly doubt Lego would let it out of their hands. Even logically thinking, this will never happen, and seeing as the guy is saying he's basing this off a file he "found in the Bionicle source code" (what does that even mean?) saying DSN17 or whatever. 

This being fake is blatantly obvious, and I'm baffled as to how anyone could fall for it.

:kakama:

Edited by Pohaturon
  • Upvote 15

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Disney............DISNEY!!! are you trying to tell me that a company as big as Disney wants to buy an IP from Lego and that IP being Bionicle?...............

If it even happened what Disney would do with it is probably turn it to a DisneyXD show and sell toys of it in Lego form & non Lego form.

Ether way thanks to this news there will be a lot of name calling and at the end if January everyone will not look at Disney the same.

• Upvote 1

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

Disney being in charge of a new Bionicle story wouldn't necessarily be a disastrous thing. They've been doing pretty well with Marvel and Star Wars lately, not to mention their own animated properties.

However, I've seen nothing to suggest this rumor (originally posted here) has even the slightest credibility. The cryptic letter and number sequences being presented as "evidence" could mean just about anything, and certainly don't seem to indicate anything as major as LEGO selling one of their trademarks. If such a thing were to happen, this is not the manner in which it would be disclosed.

Also, viewing the page source for the Bionicle.com homepage, I see no indication of any of the letter and number combinations that the person alludes to, which (along with the assertion that "many people have discovered" this when they were seemingly the first person to bring it up) raises the possibility that it's a deliberate hoax by the person who created that topic.

• Upvote 9

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Disney taking on Bionicle and making a series out of it. They've made some good stories out of some of their properties, so I think they could do the same with Bionicle.

However, I agree with what others are saying in that this 'news' is probably fake. I just don't see Lego giving up the Bionicle theme, for one thing. And even though Bionicle does have its fanbase around the Internet, I don't think it's big enough to get Disney interested in taking it from Lego. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Man I would be so HYPED if it was announced Disney had bought Bionicle. Disney is all about telling good stories, LEGO is all about making toys, and I care far more about stories than about toys.

Alas, it takes more than a YouTube video to confirm this. If it were really happening, there would need to be some official source documenting it was being sold, or in the least a more reliable source explaining the speculation around the possibility of that happening.

Disney can do whatever it wants with my Barnicles

• Upvote 2

Wow! This is some crazy, but awesome fan idea.:o Since when Disney said that it wants to buy Bionicle?

I would love to think that if Disney does this, it would make Bionicle successful again, like how it did to Marvel and Star Wars. Disney did Moana, which has a lot of similar things to Bionicle, very well, so the idea of Disney making Bionicle successful again would be like a mix of Marvel, Star Wars, and Moana in terms of movies and other stuff, like toys, to promote it.:)

However, Bionicle was featured in a cameo in The Lego Movie, which is made by Warner Bros. so WB should make something called "The Lego Bionicle Movie". So, WB would, and perhaps should, make movies for Bionicle.

Speaking of companies owning franchises, Bionicle had been in many places. The first three direct-to-video Bionicle movies were made by Miramax, which I heard that is a division of Disney. The Legend Reborn was made by Universal. So, Bionicle has been in these companies, and if it were to be bought by Disney, Universal, or Warner Bros., one of these companies has to own Bionicle in order to make things for it. But, I would say Warner Bros. would be the best choice of owning Bionicle in my opinion since it makes Lego Movies for Lego.

• Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

If there were to be a Star Wars or Marvel-esque deal, which is most likely, that would be great. See what Disney did for Marvel? Thanks to that deal, Marvel got the money and resources necessary to bring us the movies we've been getting. Now obviously I'm in agreement that this is a hoax, but would I be on board if it were real? Most likely...Disney did bring Star Wars back after all. 

• Upvote 1

90% sure this is fake, but good that it has an alleged date for the deal on it so we can have a definite answer one way or the other soon.

That said, this would be AMAZING if true.

Lego struggled to handle the potential scope of a universe the size of G1 Bionicle's. But with Disney's resources, we could have access to a great story and marketing team. They could do both film and TV series,  gradually expanding the universe, as well as all kinds of spin-offs about characters outside the main plot. Like, the equivalent of the 01-03 story could easily be a film trilogy (possibly with something like the Bohrok Kal arc as a 1-season TV series, with most episodes focusing on the Toa collecting masks and learning to live without powers, eventually confronting the Kal at the end). The 2004-05 arc would be better suited to TV series format, followed by another film trilogy for the Ignition arc. And in between films, books, webisodes, miniseries, serials and comics could flesh out the lives of supporting characters, or people elsewhere in the MU.

It's also pretty awesome to think that if true, this probably would have come about because of Moana. Bionicle getting the reboot it deserved because of a Disney princess movie, of all things. Amazing.

• Upvote 1

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Does Warner Brothers have exclusive rights to movies of all LEGO properties? Or is it just brick based ones, meaning Bionicle is excluded. I'm interested because I'm earnestly not sure if LEGO signed a contract with them meaning if they wanted to get another studio to handle one of their licenses if they would be able to do that.

And I would be interested in any movie studio really picking up Bionicle and making it into a relevant property again after the train wreck of G2, but I wouldn't want to see a LEGO Bionicle Movie, just a Bionicle, that doesn't try to be meta. Bionicle isn't well known enough to have meta jokes that the public can understand, and humor has never been its strongest aspect, but rather its story telling and weird but cool worlds and ideas.

Bionicle has always seemed to have less to do with LEGO and more to do with itself. Perhaps it's because I got into Bionicle later on in my youth whereas LEGO System is something I've loved since I could put the parts together, so the two have always been somewhat distinct for me. Plus, I never owned a lot of Bionicle sets, I was more focused on LEGO Space.

And I mean listen, corporations are dirty and just want your money and will go by any means necessary to get it, but I like Disney because, like LEGO, it won't cheat you for it. They actually hire talent to make their films and make a product that's worth your time. The reason they bought Star Wars was because they knew they would make butt loads of money from it regardless of whether or not they put effort into it or made it good, but they still took the time and care to make it work and stayed faithful to fans and the spirit of the franchise.

• Upvote 2

I know pretty much nothing on how the Lego forums works so I posted here.

I hope it's fake but if this turns out to be true.

θ~θ

I also saw some different screenshots when my friend was on facebook.

(I don't have a facebook I just mooch off of others.)

Edited by ToaTimeLord

I would be opposed to it. Disney is too powerful as a non-national entity and it doesn't need all-powerful Bionicle to give it a steroids booster shot.

:P

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Did you actually look at the thread the video references? Clearly, this guy is taking the urine (really, that's censored?). There is zero evidence to back this up, and even if Disney would be interested in buying Bionicle, I highly doubt Lego would let it out of their hands. Even logically thinking, this will never happen, and seeing as the guy is saying he's basing this off a file he "found in the Bionicle source code" (what does that even mean?) saying DSN17 or whatever. 

This being fake is blatantly obvious, and I'm baffled as to how anyone could fall for it.

Agreed, especially about LEGO not being willing to sell it. I'm *highly* doubtful that they would. LEGO doesn't strike me as a company that would ever sell their IPs (especially seeing how few they have).

• Upvote 4
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Agreed, especially about LEGO not being willing to sell it. I'm *highly* doubtful that they would. LEGO doesn't strike me as a company that would ever sell their IPs (especially seeing how few they have).

I could see them possibly being willing to sell some of their IPs if they were ever in a precarious financial situation and really needed the money. But at this point in time they're farther from that position than they've ever been.

I also question how valuable Bionicle as a franchise would be to any company except a toy company. Bionicle had a decent story for a toyline, but the greatest profits and popularity of that brand have always come from the toys themselves. A media company might certainly be willing to buy or license the film rights to Bionicle from Lego, but a company like Disney that is not directly involved in the production and sale of toys would have little use for the franchise as a whole.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, I just thought of something. Perhaps, if it were to be true, the fact about Disney owning Bionicle could be a big secret reason why Bionicle G2 got cancelled. Think how The Amazing Spider-Man movie series in 2012 and 2014 got cancelled and got rebooted by Disney (indirectly) into G3 (sort of started last year and will officially start this year). When Disney notices that a popular franchise becomes "good, but not great as it used to be" (and/or is failing miserably), Disney buys and makes it hopefully successful. Disney Channel/Disney XD played the Lego Elves show (original story by Lego) and Lego Star Wars shows, so that could be possible. I know this is a crazy theory that I have, wait until four days to see if I'm right or not, because I could be. Just saying a logical theory.

Plus, I agree with Toa Aeron and Logan McOwen.

Edited by Lenny7092
  • Upvote 1

Guys, I just thought of something. Perhaps, if it were to be true, the fact about Disney owning Bionicle could be a big secret reason why Bionicle G2 got cancelled. Think how The Amazing Spider-Man movie series in 2012 and 2014 got cancelled and got rebooted by Disney (indirectly) into G3 (sort of started last year and will officially start this year). When Disney notices that a popular franchise becomes "good, but not great as it used to be" (and/or is failing miserably), Disney buys and makes it hopefully successful. Disney Channel/Disney XD played the Lego Elves show (original story by Lego) and Lego Star Wars shows, so that could be possible. I know this is a crazy theory that I have, wait until four days to see if I'm right or not, because I could be. Just saying a logical theory.

Plus, I agree with Toa Aeron and Logan McOwen.

That's actually a well reasoned argument.

It would explain G2's sudden cancellation.

• Upvote 1

Guys, I got news: The topic about Disney buying Bionicle in the Lego Message Boards is gone for some reason. But, it is still in air. I don't know why the topic disappeared, but maybe Lego doesn't want any fan to learn about its secrets. Go click on the link on Aanchir's post here.

Guys, I got news: The topic about Disney buying Bionicle in the Lego Message Boards is gone for some reason. But, it is still in air. I don't know why the topic disappeared, but maybe Lego doesn't want any fan to learn about its secrets. Go click on the link on Aanchir's post here.

I thought the message board system was being shut down.

But if if there still up and the topic has been taken down.

The only reason they take it down would be inapropate language or political content.

Besides that there was no real reason to take it down.

We could be on to something.

Edited by ToaTimeLord II

1. Why is anyone actually thinking this has any merit to it?
  2. Why would anyone want this to happen?

Seriously, why is this being discussed? The whole reason for this topic was clearly and obviously a hoax. How did this even get this many replies?

• Upvote 4

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Well, today is here, but nothing happened.

It's still fun to talk about.

What would Disney do with Bionicle if they purchased it?

Well, yes, it is fun to talk about it. I mean, Dinsey can make things great again after buying them. I mean, look at Marvel and Star Wars. They got all this praise because they are done right (for Marvel movies, mostly). Plus, they have been successful in their first year's of existence and had been awesome parts of our childhoods, so Disney decides to re-ignite them to become popular again nowadays. I wish Bionicle could do that because it had all what Marvel and Star Wars had (except the fact that it had much less stuff in media in history) in its early years. I am planning to make a BZP topic about how to construct a movie of our image soon.:)

I thought the message board system was being shut down.

But if if there still up and the topic has been taken down.

The only reason they take it down would be inapropate language or political content.

Besides that there was no real reason to take it down.

We could be on to something.

I didn't see any inappropriate stuff in that Lego Message Boards topic. If it had, Lego would've prevented people from saying such things. I still think that that best logical reason how that topic is gone is because maybe Lego wants to keep the Disney idea a secret until when the time says it's time to tell. Anyone who could do that strange computer that showed us the Disney idea could be right about it.

• Why is anyone actually thinking this has any merit to it?
  • Why would anyone want this to happen?

Seriously, why is this being discussed? The whole reason for this topic was clearly and obviously a hoax. How did this even get this many replies?

Maybe Lego is trying to keep the Disney-buying-Bionicle idea a secret?

Anyway, we still talk about it because if it were to be real, it could mean the return of Bionicle. Bionicle was in a pretty poor shape in its G2 years, so I would like to think that Disney would improve it, like what it did to Marvel and Star Wars. It's like how you would look at how The Amazing Spider-Man movies in 2012 and 2014 got cancelled and got rebooted by Dinsey (indirectly) because it had mixed reviews (I believe that's how we the Bionicle fans felt to Bionicle G2). I am saying that because both the Spider-Man G2 movies and Bionicle G2 are similar for how their reboots go. (I know I like talking about Spider-Man in this case.:) )

All you got to do is to believe.:)

Some random LMB user posted a hoax with made-up evidence and it was rightly deleted.  There's no reason to believe.

Well, I don't know how he did that strange computer thing that let him see some codes that made him come up with the idea, but it is understandable that it may not prove that the idea exists.

Some random LMB user posted a hoax with made-up evidence and it was rightly deleted.  There's no reason to believe.

Well, I don't know how he did that strange computer thing that let him see some codes that made him come up with the idea, but it is understandable that it may not prove that the idea exists.

Many web browsers have an option to let you view a page's source code (on Windows I think you can right-click and select "View Page Source" or something like that). But I'm not even sure what page he was claiming to have found his "hints"; on the main Bionicle website and the Bionicle page from the LEGO Shop I found nothing of the sort.

I don't know if the evidence was entirely made up, but even if he did legitimately find it someplace, he made some far-fetched assumptions in how he interpreted it.

Unless someone has managed to actually find the stuff on the page source that's claimed to be there, then the answer is probably "lie about it".  If someone was clever enough to dig through website source code and find hidden messages, then they should at least know enough to say where they found them.  When you find something you show it and say where you found it, not hide behind some "zoom in enhance" talk about how you edited out part of an image (just an image, no details) and found a Disney logo.  That's the only supposed evidence ever presented and to my knowledge it's never been shown or specified past that.  I could make the same claim about twenty other corporations buying the rights to the BIONICLE brand if I wanted to, and I could probably do a better job at making it seem real that this person did.

This is why it's important to think critically about something before sharing it.  If there's no evidence for something, or some random person is claiming to have evidence that they haven't presented and that nobody else has been able to find, then you shouldn't believe them.

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

Some random LMB user posted a hoax with made-up evidence and it was rightly deleted. There's no reason to believe.

Unless someone has managed to actually find the stuff on the page source that's claimed to be there, then the answer is probably "lie about it". If someone was clever enough to dig through website source code and find hidden messages, then they should at least know enough to say where they found them. When you find something you show it and say where you found it, not hide behind some
talk about how you edited out part of an image (just an image, no details) and found a Disney logo. That's the only supposed evidence ever presented and to my knowledge it's never been shown or specified past that. I could make the same claim about twenty other corporations buying the rights to the BIONICLE brand if I wanted to, and I could probably do a better job at making it seem real that this person did.

This is why it's important to think critically about something before sharing it. If there's no evidence for something, or some random person is claiming to have evidence that they haven't presented and that nobody else has been able to find, then you shouldn't believe them.

I'm not a big tech person and didn't understand what he ment by the code things.

But I knew someone would know on BZP.

Hints why I posted.

Some random LMB user posted a hoax with made-up evidence and it was rightly deleted. There's no reason to believe.

Unless someone has managed to actually find the stuff on the page source that's claimed to be there, then the answer is probably "lie about it". If someone was clever enough to dig through website source code and find hidden messages, then they should at least know enough to say where they found them. When you find something you show it and say where you found it, not hide behind some
talk about how you edited out part of an image (just an image, no details) and found a Disney logo. That's the only supposed evidence ever presented and to my knowledge it's never been shown or specified past that. I could make the same claim about twenty other corporations buying the rights to the BIONICLE brand if I wanted to, and I could probably do a better job at making it seem real that this person did.

This is why it's important to think critically about something before sharing it. If there's no evidence for something, or some random person is claiming to have evidence that they haven't presented and that nobody else has been able to find, then you shouldn't believe them.

I'm not a big tech person and didn't understand what he ment by the code things.

Hints why I posted.

What I mean the code things meaning something like DIS17 that this Lego Messanger Boards member found. Looks decieving when you come up with the Disney-buying-Bionicle idea. I don't what's it doing on the Bionicle website, anyway.

I hate disney, but even I don't think they'd be that bloated to try and buy the rights to BIONICLE.

Honestly the source of this rumor just sounds like some numerologist's made up twisted farse of reality. 'DSN17'

But to those of you who say it would be a good thing if they bought BIONICLE, because disney is good at story telling. Just look at what they did to Star Wars. Sheev Palpatine.... That is just one point, but there are a myriad of other points too that can be made or pointed out. Such as the total decanonization of the expanded universe.

• Upvote 1

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Hints why I posted.

What I mean the code things meaning something like DIS17 that this Lego Messanger Boards member found. Looks decieving when you come up with the Disney-buying-Bionicle idea. I don't what's it doing on the Bionicle website, anyway.

Except that even setting aside that a string of letters like that could mean practically anything, they're the ONLY one who supposedly "found" them. They're nowhere to be found even when looking at the source code of the site itself. Now, yes, the possibility exists that Lego mistakenly included that content in their page code and rushed to erase it when a single clever message board user figured out their true meaning despite such an inference being anything but obvious and requiring several logical leaps in the absence of any concrete evidence. The vastly more likely scenario is that that string of characters was never even there in the first place, and the person made the story up out of whole cloth for attention. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened. Hoaxes are perpetrated on the Bionicle community all the time, usually (but not always) revolving around some secret insight into future sets, story, or media.

There's been a lot of talk in the U.S. and around the world lately about "fake news"—falsified reports that circulate and gain traction on social media because credulous users rush to share a story that seemingly confirms their deeply-held suspicions without making any effort at verification. A lot of that talk has been related to politics (which, as per BZP's rules I won't discuss further), but that sort of "fake news" can revolve around anything. In this case, this hoax has gained traction because of a wide range of Bionicle fans willing to give it the time of day—from fans who are furious about the theme's premature end and eager to blame it on some sort of back alley dealings to fans who are desperate for any news that could give them hope for Bionicle's return. But when you look further you find that the truth of the matter is that there is zero factual basis for this rumor, that there are no hidden messages on the Bionicle website, and that all the talk about whether Disney buying Bionicle is a good or bad thing is essentially meaningless because it isn't happening and probably never will.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

^My only exposure to recent Star Wars media has been the recent novelizations of the OT, so I can't really comment on Disney's handling of new stories, but does decanonizing the EU material really effect anything? All of that material is still there and unaltered for fans of the EU or any new fans who want to delve into it, The story tellers on Disney's dime have less material they have to worry about contradicting with new stories, and there's nothing stopping Disney's writers from delving into the old EU and pulling ideas into the new Canon. Dislike the new stuff if you want to, but complaining about the de canonization of the EU strikes me as on par with people who act like a bad reboot movie prevents them from enjoying the older media within a beloved franchise.

• Upvote 4

Just so you know, I'm blinad