Lego what have you done!

ToaTImeLord

^My only exposure to recent Star Wars media has been the recent novelizations of the OT, so I can't really comment on Disney's handling of new stories, but does decanonizing the EU material really effect anything? All of that material is still there and unaltered for fans of the EU or any new fans who want to delve into it, The story tellers on Disney's dime have less material they have to worry about contradicting with new stories, and there's nothing stopping Disney's writers from delving into the old EU and pulling ideas into the new Canon. Dislike the new stuff if you want to, but complaining about the de canonization of the EU strikes me as on par with people who act like a bad reboot movie prevents them from enjoying the older media within a beloved franchise.

This this this. And they have been pulling back cool bits of the old EU, like Thrawn or TIE Defenders. And I can still read the Rogue Squadron books and not feel invalidated. Different stories, alternate universes. ...almost like a Gen1 and Gen2.

Buuuut Disney buying Bionicle? Nah.

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

• 2 weeks later...

Now this really is just a rumor flying around like a leaf in autumn wind so in no way should we regard this rumor as having even the slightest verifiable backing (otherwise we may face a fate similar to Paul Bennewitz). However I still think it’s interesting food for the mind so I just put in my two cents:

LEGO Bionicle is the best Bionicle, no doubt about that – it is LEGO that made all the awesome sets, it is LEGO that made all those awesome aesthetics and it is LEGO that has created one of the most unique and iconic franchises out there.

However, I highly doubt that LEGO will bring back Bionicle for a Generation 3. With the jaw dropping brutality with which they cancelled Generation 2 I just cannot imagine them giving Generation 3 a chance. You simply don’t beat the Karzahni out of a theatre actor with a brick whom you want to call off the stage if you intend to ever put him on those stage planks again.

And this brings us the to big “However” – even a Disney Bionicle is far better than no Bionicle at all. If Disney would buy Bionicle (and again I would like to stress that this unsubstantiated rumor is as obscure as the Dulce Base rumors), then obviously they would want to bring it back and in that case I would be all for it.

So to put the long story short:

LEGO Bionicle > Disney Bionicle > Nothing

IhDIrLK.jpg

I respectfully disagree. I'd rather retain Bionicle's memory as it is than see it butchered by Disney...

I don't see why that's a huge concern? From what I've seen, Disney has done a pretty decent job managing other properties they've acquired, like Marvel and Star Wars. Sure, they have made SOME questionable choices, but it's not like those properties' previous owners didn't. Every time Disney has acquired a popular property there's been worries that Disney will dumb it down or sugar-coat it, but usually those don't end up amounting to anything.

• Upvote 5

I respectfully disagree. I'd rather retain Bionicle's memory as it is than see it butchered by Disney...

I don't see why that's a huge concern? From what I've seen, Disney has done a pretty decent job managing other properties they've acquired, like Marvel and Star Wars. Sure, they have made SOME questionable choices, but it's not like those properties' previous owners didn't. Every time Disney has acquired a popular property there's been worries that Disney will dumb it down or sugar-coat it, but usually those don't end up amounting to anything.

Agreed. Although I do think that Star Wars Episode 7 was the poorest episode of the franchise, I still think it was a very good movie, definitely not a butchery. Maybe it's just me, but the thing I dread most is a favorite franchise ending. As far as franchises are concerned, I usually prefer even inferior content to no content at all  :begging:

IhDIrLK.jpg

I think Bionicle now and Star Wars before the buyout are a comparable yet radically different situation. Disney would've had to try really hard to make something worse than Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones or the Clone Wars movie (cutting Revenge of the Sith some slack it probably doesn't deserve). Regardless of your opinion of The Force Awakens or Rebels, Disney has handled Star Wars (and Marvel) rather well, with the biggest problem being oversaturation in terms of media (one movie a year for Star Wars and so many comic book movies are gonna lead to a big crash some point down the line) and not the actual quality of the content. If Disney were to take Bionicle, they'd have to try really hard to do a worse job at marketing or storytelling than G2. That's where the similarities stop, though. Despite how reviled the prequels are, Star Wars is still a gigantic media juggernaut. Bionicle is not. Disney found the right time to snap up Star Wars: when there was no planned mainline content but the money was still good. Bionicle doesn't really have anything, save for Me_IRL's Bizarre October if you're really grasping (and really, some memelords aren't gonna save you from financial ruin; then again I also doubted the power of memes in politics and now the Annoying Orange is in office so what do I know). While I think Disney could do a good job with it (or totally butcher it), it's incredibly unlikely that it'd get bought.

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey