Modulex

Waffles

3879833534_9f870295cf.jpg(Photograph by Zack Milenius)In the first half of the '60´s, the creator of LEGO was trying to design his own house with LEGO bricks, but unfortunately the ratios of LEGO bricks were not those used in architecture. He had a special type of bricks made that were cubes. He got the idea of selling these bricks to architects.Produced in a variety of interesting colors, these pieces are quite rare and I got some for 50 cents a piece. Unfortunately there are not that many different bricks, and building can be difficult, but there are somes cool creation out there, and they are more than just a novlety. You can find more information about them online.So, let´s discuss them here! I´ll try to answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Perhaps there are unintented geometries born out of LEGO´s ventures into non-System parts, but your best bet would be to wrap them or something around the parts.I have quite more Modulex parts, 100 I believe, but even then still the possibilities are quite limited.I have always wanted to do something with them, and collaboration among fans seems like the only likely solution due to thier scarcity and price. Every once in a while there´s a ton on eBay. Perhaps my dreams will eventually come to frutition of a collaboration.

Do you have any pics? I want to see what these bricks look like.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

I unfortunately do not. I can´t take any since I´m severla hundred miles away from my home currently. The picture in the first post shows them, and I´m sure you can find lots on the internet. Try flickr, that´s a goldmine of pics.If you want to purchase, there´s these people, MiniBricks Madness, who sell them.

Well, I didn't notice that they were different from normal bricks. I guess the main difference is the scale. A minifig is a little taller than three normal bricks built on top of each other. But these are much smaller. Google image searching now...-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Modulex parts are really cool - I only wish that they were more compatible with regular LEGO. I have a total of eight white 2x4s, obtained at BrickFair 2011.Incorporating these into other models can be tricky. Anyone have any ideas?

I've seen some interesting ways of making use of Modulex in System MOCs. For instance, the anti-studs of modulex bricks can attach to the bumps on a minifig firefighter's mask (6158). In turn the studs of Modulex bricks can attach to the holes in a pair of minifig binoculars (30162).Modulex is an interesting idea but I guess one that wasn't right at the time. Sadly I doubt it would be too much more successful today-- unlike almost all other LEGO blocks other than their earliest "preschool" blocks, it is completely incompatible with regular LEGO bricks except in a few coincidental ways like those I've mentioned. So while we might someday see a modulex-like product again (for instance, if the Japanese "nanoblock" product proves successful enough for TLG to try competing in that market), I doubt modulex itself-- being a tool for architectural design rather than purely a toy-- will ever make a comeback.

Modulex was pretty cool, and unique. I current have four 1x4 bricks in Modulex. :DI haven't found much use for Modulex though, besides being a collector's item nowadays. they original idea behind them was good, but I don't think it was the best thing that could have been done to meet that specific need.Also, one downside to Modulex is that they are even more prone to being conquered by LEGO's arch nemesis: the vacuum cleaner. :P

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.