Thank You, Greg

maletoaofwater

I posted this to the LMBs, but since they're going to be shut down, I figured I'd post it on BZP too. Feel free to post your own thanks if you want.

Greg,

Since this might very well be the last chance I get to post something that you'll see, I wanted to express my sincere gratitude for your work on the BIONICLE universe over the years, and your continued activity among the fans that are still paying attention, even though most of us have become adults now.

Lego's Bionicle franchise more or less defined my childhood for me. I received a toa set for Christmas in 2001, and after going to the website listed on the canister with my parents and reading the epic story about the characters, I was hooked - for life, apparently. To this day, I still believe the story that the Bionicle team put together over the years is one of the best ever told - and you were a huge part of that. Many stories these days are recycled versions of other stories, yet the Bionicle team managed to put together something that was original, intriguing, creative, and long lasting. Bionicle truly was one of a kind, and I don't think anything will be able to replace it for a long time to come.

Bionicle certainly had some flaws - the rumors online that some Lego employees thought the theme was too violent (or my personal pet peeve: too many elements - ice and water are the same thing! haha) show that. But the fact that we held, and apparently still hold, the theme to such a high standard is a testament to how great it truly was, even with its flaws. (And furthermore, it couldn't have ever been the toy that saved Lego if it wasn't what it was, "excessive violence" and all!)

There were many people who worked on Bionicle and made it great, and myself and the other fans are grateful for all. But only you, Greg, interact(ed) with the fans on the level that you do/did, so for that, thank you. It's been said before, but I'll say it again: whatever you do in the future, know that you've already made something fantastic for so many kids who opened their first toa canister under the Christmas tree and found a legend inside.

With Gratitude and Nostalgia,

A.

• Upvote 10

Well said. ^_^

I want to say Thank You to Greg and the whole Bionicle team for bringing me such an amazing world. I enjoyed the aspect of the whole storyline (from 2001-2008) building up to the Big Reveal (The Mata Nui Robot) and the sets I try to collect every year, but it did not stop me. Bionicle has defined my whole life since I first bought the Toa Gali canister in Abu Dhabi and you aspired me to write Fan Fictions for the Bionicle Universe. It had some flaws and some contradictions during the run but I enjoyed it.

It was a roller coaster ride and an emotional journey. It has inspired me to write a story that can be as fun, exciting, and epic with some moral meanings behind them.

To me, Bionicle was Lego's answer to Hasbro's Transformers. With a mix of "Tribal mythology" and Technology behind them i.e. A cross between Transformers and Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter.

With warmest gradtitude and Nostalgia,

Bohrokmaster.

Edited by bohrokmaster
  • Upvote 5

Well said, both of you.

This fanbase can be hard on Greg sometimes. The only reason we got the plotholes, contradictions, and other imperfections was because Greg took BIONICLE seriously and wrote it more mature than a toy line ever needed to be. He made it more than a toy line to us fans, to me and so many others, it's more like a modern-day mythology.

Thank you Greg, especially since we don't say it enough.

(So, is someone going to post this on the LMB before they get taken down? Because how will Greg see this otherwise?)

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Know that you've already made something fantastic for so many kids who opened their first toa canister under the Christmas tree and found a legend inside.

These people found a way to turn legends into toys and I wish I could thank each and every person that helped make bionicle what it is today individually. Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart.

Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't do great things.

It's called garbage can, not garbage cannot!

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't of said it better myself. Greg F has been a one of a kind author and I really appreciate how much he's put into the community as well as the universe. Hail Denmark!

• Upvote 1

Gleaming glistens The Red Star,
Bringing life to death afar,
Up away in deepest space,
You call me from your distant place.

Proud member of the Kanohi Force (Disavowed, but never dead)

Well said, guys. Well said. For me, I would say this: I would like to thank Greg Farshtey for making me very interested in Bionicle. I love his Bionicle works and stories that he wrote. I am very glad that he continue the story a little bit after the G1 toy line ended in 2010. He also gives the time to tell me and other fans about some things in Bionicle G1 that are unknown to us for a long time, even if he didn't continue the story sadly. I appreciate his time and Bionicle work throughout all these years (I started reading in 2004). He is a great writer who always kept me interested in the Bionicle G1 story. It's also very interesting that he worked with Lego on Bionicle G2. He's been almost everywhere, and made things in Bionicle G1 great and awesome. Overall, I appreciate his work all these years.:) I hope we can find someplace where Greg would continue updating the G1 story and re-continue (or conclude) it somehow.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)