Sets Review: 5 Nexo Powers and Knighton Rider

TriShield

The Nexo Knghts are bringing back collectible packs, something Bionicle fans are no stranger to. This year we see 70372: 5 Nexo Powers give five out of 35 different Nexo Power Shields, one of each five main colors along with the new triple-shield. We'll review this along with the free 30376 Knighton Rider received at the LEGO Store for making a Nexo Knights purchase! Watch the video to see how these little sets stack up.

View the full article

They could have made collectible packs for bionicle, but nah.

Congrats! I had been anticipating this sort of statement from a whiny Bionicle fan since these packs were first announced, and it finally happened!

For the record, it's worth noting that these packs are being released in Nexo Knights' second year, indicating that they're likely a response to the success of the Nexo Knights theme and app game. Perhaps we might've seen something like this for Bionicle G2 if it had been more successful in its first year. But it wasn't... and we didn't.

• Upvote 5

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Congrats! I had been anticipating this sort of statement from a whiny Bionicle fan since these packs were first announced, and it finally happened!

For the record, it's worth noting that these packs are being released in Nexo Knights' second year, indicating that they're likely a response to the success of the Nexo Knights theme and app game. Perhaps we might've seen something like this for Bionicle G2 if it had been more successful in its first year. But it wasn't... and we didn't.

I honestly was surprised when they didn't do collectible Nexo Power packs back in the first year, considering the theme was almost guaranteed to be a success and those little colorful shield things are just screaming "collectible" at you. I unfortunately missed out on it last year because budget, but hopefully I'll get my hands on some Nexo Knights this year around, in which case I'll be definitely buying shield packs too. I don't even have a single one yet, but I already really like the shape and feel of those pieces. 

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Does anyone know if the Knighton Rider will be offered in stores at some point?

It is currently available in LEGO Brand Retail Stores in the US for free with the purchase of any Nexo Knights set.

These kind of sets rarely find their way into general retail stores or toy stores.

There is also BrickLink and eBay, presumably, but considering what you'd pay there it's cheaper to buy something from LEGO S@H and get it free.

-CF

• Upvote 1

nexo_shields_9.jpg

Does anyone know if the Knighton Rider will be offered in stores at some point?

It is currently available in LEGO Brand Retail Stores in the US for free with the purchase of any Nexo Knights set.

These kind of sets rarely find their way into general retail stores or toy stores.

There is also BrickLink and eBay, presumably, but considering what you'd pay there it's cheaper to buy something from LEGO S@H and get it free.

-CF

Okay, thank you.

I honestly was surprised when they didn't do collectible Nexo Power packs back in the first year, considering the theme was almost guaranteed to be a success and those little colorful shield things are just screaming "collectible" at you. I unfortunately missed out on it last year because budget, but hopefully I'll get my hands on some Nexo Knights this year around, in which case I'll be definitely buying shield packs too. I don't even have a single one yet, but I already really like the shape and feel of those pieces. 

Guaranteed is a strong word. The decision to release these sorts of packs now is most likely a response to the popularity of both the sets and the app game. The success of the app is a huge aspect—a digital medium like that can give Lego important usage information about not just how many people download the game, but also how many continue to play it and scan new powers as new sets come out and the app continues to be updated and expanded. But that success was not guaranteed at the outset of the theme. For instance, the Ultra Agents theme also featured a tie-in app, but the second-year sets that introduced a way to integrate the physical toys with the digital app were not even successful enough to merit a worldwide release. If the app game had been unsuccessful, then it would have been a huge mistake to have already released packs like these for which the main selling point is digital integration.

Guaranteed is a strong word. The decision to release these sorts of packs now is most likely a response to the popularity of both the sets and the app game. The success of the app is a huge aspect—a digital medium like that can give Lego important usage information about not just how many people download the game, but also how many continue to play it and scan new powers as new sets come out and the app continues to be updated and expanded. But that success was not guaranteed at the outset of the theme. For instance, the Ultra Agents theme also featured a tie-in app, but the second-year sets that introduced a way to integrate the physical toys with the digital app were not even successful enough to merit a worldwide release. If the app game had been unsuccessful, then it would have been a huge mistake to have already released packs like these for which the main selling point is digital integration.

But the Agent themes never were too popular throughout Lego's history, were they? The medieval/castle themes were generally big sellers (considering how often they were brought back) as were space-based themes whether you include Star Wars or not. Basically mixing the two into a cyber-castle theme was bound to go well. I'm pretty sure the number of sets and marketing that went into Nexo Knights' first year reflected that TLG assumed it would be successful, which is why I'm surprised they didn't have separate collectibles the first time around even though the sets basically did have them. 

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I'm really happy that the first wave of powers included, Stronghold of Resolution, Swift Sting, Rushing Strike, Thunder Blaze, and Raging Rally as those powers look the most like the knights personal coat of arms.I'm hoping the next wave will have Rock Ship and more of the tornado powers.

• Upvote 2

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

I'm really happy that the first wave of powers included, Stronghold of Resolution, Swift Sting, Rushing Strike, Thunder Blaze, and Raging Rally as those powers look the most like the knights personal coat of arms.I'm hoping the next wave will have Rock Ship and more of the tornado powers.

Same! Another one I'm keen on is Cool Creation, since its imagery is sort of self-referential. Of course, one that is still absent and is sure to be popular if and when it is released physically is Rocketship (due to the use of the classic space logo).