Lego Is For Girls

For those curious, I think the official term for the ladyfig is "minidoll".I'm not surprised that they are going with the conventional "girly" stuff like horse riding and salons. That's the sort of stuff that has been proven to work before, and if Lego is going to be putting so much money and effort into this sort of thing, they need to know that it's going to work. Once they've got an established brand with a legion of young fans, then they can start taking it in different directions. After all, they need to introduce new things to keep it fresh, and if they limit themselves only to traditionally feminine things, they will run out of ideas pretty quickly.This line is also a necessary predecessor for any other girl-oriented lines Lego releases in the near future, regardless of how stereotypical or not they are. They are playing it safe now, but I have no doubt that they will start branching out soon if Friends is successful, both in the Friends line itself, and in other lines.On a semi-related note, I had one of the Lego Cuusoo staff express some interest in my "Constraction for girls" project. So, Lego is interested in new ideas, and is probably willing to try out something completely different. The hard part is proving that there's a market for it by getting enough supporters.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

honestly my thoughts on this are that this will not work out, but then again i thought hero factory wouldn't work either. maybe lego should actually meet the people, not just study marketing charts of what different groups of people buy. My little sister loves Lego Bricks and likes bionicles. With this lego may extinguish any hope of me actually getting her to understand bionicle in the future.

Read this article. LEGO did exactly that-- rather than just looking at focus groups and sales statistics, they did proper anthropological research, observing how young girls tended to play when left to their own devices.A lot of people seem to be comfortable with the idea that TLG is this awkward behemoth completely out-of-touch with its fans, not realizing that their hours of market research give them a lot more insight into what kinds of toys appeal to their audience than any one fan's personal anecdotes.Why would this theme keep your sister from understanding BIONICLE? If she really enjoys BIONICLE, then it shouldn't matter whether another theme comes out that appeals to girls. After all, there are plenty of male BIONICLE fans within the target demographic for Hero Factory or Ninjago, but they can still enjoy BIONICLE whether or not other themes exist that appeal to boys their age. It's possible that the Friends theme won't even appeal to your sister, but if it does, that's just one more LEGO theme to enjoy.
she is the kind that can be obsessed with the pink and sparkly "girly" things and tends to brush aside anything else once something "girly" has caught her eye. But on the other hand it IS good to know that lego did proper anthropological research. on a side note isn't this an off topic discussion?

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

i don't think anyone is condemning lego for attempting to appeal to a wider audience. (though i can only speak for myself)it appears to be commenting on what they have to do to accomplish that.maybe the could make some more "girly" city sets. though according to the article, apparently girls hate the minifig. i feel like questioning the validity of that, but it sounds like work. if i could make a poll in the lgd....

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

maybe the could make some more "girly" city sets. though according to the article, apparently girls hate the minifig. i feel like questioning the validity of that, but it sounds like work. if i could make a poll in the lgd....

Just so you know, the Voting Booth forum is not restricted to BIONICLE and BZPower anymore, so a poll related to this would be perfectly valid. ;)~Gata. ;)

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

oh. sweet!

maybe the could make some more "girly" city sets. though according to the article, apparently girls hate the minifig. i feel like questioning the validity of that, but it sounds like work. if i could make a poll in the lgd....

Just so you know, the Voting Booth forum is not restricted to BIONICLE and BZPower anymore, so a poll related to this would be perfectly valid. ;)~Gata. ;)
oh. sweet!mumble mumble. darnit! i forgot that there isnt free premiership anymore. Edited by bumblebee

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

i don't think anyone is condemning lego for attempting to appeal to a wider audience. (though i can only speak for myself)it appears to be commenting on what they have to do to accomplish that.maybe the could make some more "girly" city sets. though according to the article, apparently girls hate the minifig. i feel like questioning the validity of that, but it sounds like work. if i could make a poll in the lgd....

Polling LEGO fans to see if they like the minifigure wouldn't necessarily give you realistic results. Keep in mind that part of the reason for the Friends theme is to take advantage of a largely untapped market, that being the majority of girls above the Duplo age range who aren't buying other LEGO sets. And meanwhile, I think the idea that girls "hate" the minifigure was hyperbole. The LEGO Minifigures packages sell somewhat well among girls compared to other LEGO themes. But the problem is more that girls don't identify well with the minifigure, and many girls will have an easier and more enjoyable time role-playing with more realistic dolls than with LEGO minifigures.I have heard many accounts from AFOLs who are also parents that their daughters seem very interested in the new Friends sets and figures. I think that's a very positive sign, although of course the daughters of AFOLS are often already LEGO fans and so might not be representative of the audience TLG is trying to cater to.

oh. sweet!

oh. sweet!mumble mumble. darnit! i forgot that there isnt free premiership anymore.
I am sure any Premier Member will be kind enough to make the poll for you if you ask them.~Gata. ;)

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

while that may not yield the best possible results, they did say: (if my memory serves) that girls hate the minifig. while it was at a differant target than what you find here, it may, or may not give a better idea if thats true. they didnt give a statistic for they said that they (implying all) hate it

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

while that may not yield the best possible results, they did say: (if my memory serves) that girls hate the minifig.while it was at a differant target than what you find here, it may, or may not give a better idea if thats true. they didnt give a statistic for they said that they (implying all) hate it

I know. I think that was just Jorgen Vig Knudstorp exaggerating though. Obviously there are girls who like minifigures, but in general they can't identify with them in the first person as well as they can with a more lifelike figure. The same research found that boys tended to play with their figures in the third person (as characters rather than as an avatar of themselves), so they didn't have that same problem.